chromium packs...

jrainss
3 posts Member
edited December 2015
First of all I'd like to say Merry Christmas. I just finished watching the new star was movie and I figured I'd buy chromium packs with the iTunes money I recieved for Christmas. It was a very bad idea. I figured " hey it's Christmas and I just watched the new Star Wars movie, what could go wrong. " So I opened my first pack and got all shards and two characters a geonosian solder (1 star) and an underworld police (1 star). I was like crap that was 20$ for two one star characters
Post edited by Lightforce22 on

Replies

• Ouch, sorry to hear it.
  • Sorry to hear, happens when ya gamble sometimes you don't get lucky. Merry Christmas!
  • its how they make money... luring ppl, read the pack fine print 1-4 star possible or shards.... and 7/10 times its 1 star 2/10 times shards and 1/10 higher than 1 star card
  • its how they make money... luring ppl, read the pack fine print 1-4 star possible or shards.... and 7/10 times its 1 star 2/10 times shards and 1/10 higher than 1 star card

Wonder how many $ does Disney get per pack...
  • jrainss wrote: »
    First of all I'd like to say Merry Christmas. I just finished watching the new star was movie and I figured I'd buy chromium packs with the iTunes money I recieved for Christmas. It was a very bad idea. I figured " hey it's Christmas and I just watched the new Star Wars movie, what could go wrong. " So I opened my first pack and got all shards and two characters a geonosian solder (1 star) and an underworld police (1 star). I was like crap that was 20$ for two one star characters

Ouch, really unlucky there. I bought same pack and got barris and ackbar.
  • Unless you get lucky don't plan on having anything significant with one mega chrome card. Spend at least $100 then you may get something.
  • I'm debating Force Awakens pack for $100 or going with a ton of Chromium packs spending the same amount. I really want Rey. Kylo is cool. Poe and Finn are as well but, they aren't dominant from what I am reading. I have all the bundles available to me but, none really stands out. What do you guys suggest a new player spends his money on?
  • Endless wrote: »
    I'm debating Force Awakens pack for $100 or going with a ton of Chromium packs spending the same amount. I really want Rey. Kylo is cool. Poe and Finn are as well but, they aren't dominant from what I am reading. I have all the bundles available to me but, none really stands out. What do you guys suggest a new player spends his money on?

Buy Crystals, forget chromium packs, if you want to buy a package like the Force awakens one go ahead but they're farmable without it. The biggest problem with Chromium toons is so many of them aren't farmable like Ben, Maul, Lando and others so you're stuck at whatever star level unless you spend more and they're always a gamble.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • I am F2P, only spent crystals I have earned. Bought one Kylo Ren pack, got all shards and a Biggs.
  • RougeFive wrote: »
    I am F2P, only spent crystals I have earned. Bought one Kylo Ren pack, got all shards and a Biggs.

You didn't buy the Kylo pack, just a Chromium one that said "chance/better/best chance of Kylo" which is the same as saying "just as likely to get an ewok or jawa"
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • jrainss wrote: »

Geonosian soldier is the best character in the entire game.
  • Hi all, as a new player, I immediately started saving for the mega chromium 8 pack. I now have 1700 crystals saved up after playing hard my first 7 days:). I appreciate the general consensus on here is to skip the chromium packs and use the crystals on recharges for quicker farming. But I feel as a newbie I need to try the chromium pack at least once before going the "responsible" route.

What do you guys think, am I mad? Is this gambling more or less of a risk to a new player such as myself?

Right now my teams are:

Light:
    Barriss 4 star
    Chewie 3 star (farming to 4 only)
    Poe 3 star
    Jawa 3 star
    JC 2 star (farming)

I am currently also farming Luke (15/50) and Luminara (5/50 lol).

Dark:
    Talia 3 star (farming)
    First order storm trooper 2 star
    Royal guard 1 star
    Snowtrooper 1 star

Currently farming Sidious (35/80), Daka (10/80), Dooku (12/50).

Thanks for the advice on my situation!
  • Hi all, as a new player, I immediately started saving for the mega chromium 8 pack. I now have 1700 crystals saved up after playing hard my first 7 days:). I appreciate the general consensus on here is to skip the chromium packs and use the crystals on recharges for quicker farming. But I feel as a newbie I need to try the chromium pack at least once before going the "responsible" route.

What do you guys think, am I mad? Is this gambling more or less of a risk to a new player such as myself?

Right now my teams are:

Light:
    Barriss 4 star
    Chewie 3 star (farming to 4 only)
    Poe 3 star
    Jawa 3 star
    JC 2 star (farming)

I am currently also farming Luke (15/50) and Luminara (5/50 lol).

Dark:
    Talia 3 star (farming)
    First order storm trooper 2 star
    Royal guard 1 star
    Snowtrooper 1 star

Currently farming Sidious (35/80), Daka (10/80), Dooku (12/50).

Thanks for the advice on my situation!

The problem with the chromium packs right now is they're stuck at whatever star level you get them at. I pulled a decent bit from chromium when I first started, so I have Darth Maul, Rey, Leia, and Ima-Gun Di (I know Ima and Rey can be farmed, but so slowly they're almost chromium exclusive for right now). Not one of those characters is in my team because star level is so important to your characters power. Chromium isn't bad if you want to get a few new toys for galactic war, but none of the characters will really make your main team because unless you're willing to spend massive amounts of money they'll always be weaker than those you can farm.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    I'd only buy Chromium if I were ok with a gamble AND planning on buying more Chromiums later. If you get a non farmable character from the packs, it will not be helpful at all in the long run.

With energy refills you have total control over what you want to farm for. And you get credits and gear too.
  • Thanks guys. What about the characters I'm farming now? Do I appear to be on the right track, or am I missing someone major?
  • Genosian soldier is actually pretty powerful when you level him up. I farmed him in cantina from 0 shards (took forever) and now he is at 4* going on 5. The thing is his normal attack can trigger a ridiculous offense buff that is pretty much guaranteed and it applies to the hit that triggers it as well,so at gear 7 lv 55 and 4* his first hit does 4K+ on crit and then in the second round i can use his special which hits 5k+ on crit plus a bonus attack. I built my team so that the bonus attack either does another 4K damage or gives debuffs like healing immunity. This special also only has a cool down of two turns meaning that you only need to wait one turn in between specials to use it again. Speed is better than or on par with Sid depending on gear so very quick and brutal for single takedowns--they usually die before their turn. Got my inspiration from getting my rear handed to me a long time ago in light side battles by the genosian swarm.
  • So here's what I did. I tried a single chromium pack because I couldn't resist. And I got a 2-star JC card which was converted to 7 shards. At least I can use them but 7 shards sucks for 350 crystals.

So then I tried the approach which you experts have advised - purchasing a cantina refresh - 120 energy for 100 crystals. And I got 4 of the shards that I wanted plus enough cantina points for roughly half a shipment (2.4 shards). Multiplying x 3.5 = 22.5 of the shards that I want per 350 crystals I spend refreshing. Plus all the gear and bronzium points as a bonus.

So if we assume one 4 star character costs 80 shards, I calculate 1,244 crystals required to refresh to a 4 star character. I believe that's playing the odds!
  • Well... Sorry 'Bout Your ****** Luck. I opened one chromium with the starter gems and got 4 Star Finn.
  • It's a fickle situation. I get messages all the time from people asking advise about crystals and there is no right answer. There are some 4* characters that are useable in the top tiers of arena but it's very few. With the chronium cards you kinda have to go all in or avoid it all together. I started with a 50 dollar investment which quickly ballooned to over a grand....and I still don't have my favorite chronuim drops at 7*. I figure it would take another grand to turn that trick. Needless to say I don't buy chromium packs anymore lol. I'm hoping once they release the level cap many of these datacard only characters will become farmable.
  • My chromium packs so far:
    imagenkqkx.png
    imageudp3q.png
    Really bad, imo.

I'm working towards Ren at level 42 which is frustrating because in order to get to cantina 4-D I have to play quite a while. I figured out chromium packs might be worth the cost in the rare event of drawing Kylo but I don't see that happening. The problem is I also can't justify spending a hundred bucks on him. Old Daka, Dooku, Fett, Phasma etc can rather easily be farmed on the other hand.
  • Taker_Ren wrote: »
    My chromium packs so far:
    imagenkqkx.png
    imageudp3q.png
    Really bad, imo.

I'm working towards Ren at level 42 which is frustrating because in order to get to cantina 4-D I have to play quite a while. I figured out chromium packs might be worth the cost in the rare event of drawing Kylo but I don't see that happening. The problem is I also can't justify spending a hundred bucks on him. Old Daka, Dooku, Fett, Phasma etc can rather easily be farmed on the other hand.

Sorry about that. 4K in gems what a waste. Spending 4K in refills looks pretty good now.
  • Taker_Ren
    10 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Reddplague wrote: »
    Sorry about that. 4K in gems what a waste. Spending 4K in refills looks pretty good now.

Ha, actually it was 5K in gems... but here's a little update. I jumped the shark and bought a discounted iTunes code so I can get my hands on the Kylo pack. I spend another 5K for 2 packs and if that's not the definition of irony, then I don't know:
    image0xqww.png
    imagephq7a.png
    So it is possible to be lucky and get Kylo Ren quite early. It took me 4x 8-Chromium packs. That's unquestionably affordable for a F2P player, even more for someone who took advantage of those crystal starter packs.

I for one, will continue to gamble with all my free crystals I receive.
  • Congrats on Kylo!!
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Getting the character initially isn't the issue. It's getting him/her to rank 6 or 7 that will take time and most likely crystal refreshes. So at some point packs lose their luster when you could be spending those crystals on building your characters.
  • Very early on chromium packs are very useful so you can replace really terrible heroes like ewok scout.

I buy 2 normal and 1 cantina refill a day and I slowly accumulate crystals which I plan to turn into 8 packs should be opening one after pvp awards if I make top 20 otherwise tomorrow. If I get that crap you got I would be upset.
  • Randall wrote: »
    Very early on chromium packs are very useful so you can replace really terrible heroes like ewok scout.

I buy 2 normal and 1 cantina refill a day and I slowly accumulate crystals which I plan to turn into 8 packs should be opening one after pvp awards if I make top 20 otherwise tomorrow. If I get that crap you got I would be upset.

Dude. I opened around 300 USD of chrono single pull cards in a row on a Saturday morning. 30-40% of the drops were 2-4 star characters. Barris, Alaya, Lando, Old Ben etc etc. I was estatic!! Sooooooo I dropped 600 USD a few hours later..once again in a row single pull chronos.......

I was irate lol. The highest starred characters out of 900 USD in one day was....Boba Fett at 6*....Lando at 6*...Princess at 6*...and everyones favorite...drum roll please...7* Royal Guard....granted 80% of the characters maybe more are unlocked and ready to level..most of which I'll never use.

Needless to say I don't spend much on chronos anymore. It's a rigged lottery.
  • WhipiT wrote: »
    Randall wrote: »
    Very early on chromium packs are very useful so you can replace really terrible heroes like ewok scout.

Dude. I opened around 300 USD of chrono single pull cards in a row on a Saturday morning. 30-40% of the drops were 2-4 star characters. Barris, Alaya, Lando, Old Ben etc etc. I was estatic!! Sooooooo I dropped 600 USD a few hours later..once again in a row single pull chronos.......

I was irate lol. The highest starred characters out of 900 USD in one day was....Boba Fett at 6*....Lando at 6*...Princess at 6*...and everyones favorite...drum roll please...7* Royal Guard....granted 80% of the characters maybe more are unlocked and ready to level..most of which I'll never use.

Needless to say I don't spend much on chronos anymore. It's a rigged lottery.

Lando at 6*?

Well you've won the game already, surely?
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I want a full character of Boba, fives, anakin, Ima-gun, Luke, or barris and I will be happy. Got busy and didn't do any pvp today so my rank dropped from 19 to 60.