Curious how the old timers are playing now

Prev1
I have missed some rewards last couple of days. I can still beat GW when I want because I have a very deep bench. My problem is I'm not sure who to gear up in the new meta.

I'm mostly just leveling up everyone and not focusing on a specific team. I did not precraft so in behind the ball there.

Has anyone found a toon the are excited about in the new meta? I'm still looking. I would like to know where the smart guys are putting their gear.

I'm just building b and c and d and e teams right now.

Replies

• LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Only 6 toons are viable dooku Daka qgj Rey gs and qgj. Maybe b teamers... Keep looking elsewhere. If it makes you happy I am going for urrorr. Anakin is dead. Yoda is dead. Jedi are dead. Ashoka has been double buffed. Farm Ugnaught to max and who knows.
  • Eleiem
    334 posts Member
    Fives.
  • Lol. Thank you for the response LordAlvert. But I was hoping someone serious would reply. I am truly stumped right now.

It is sad the forums have become filled with trolls so quick.
  • Maybe I'm just an **** but I have seen that around (what lordalvert was saying)... Idk tho. Maybe I'm just gullible?
  • clawsofhonor
    370 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Im working on st han, Chewie who I ignored before, and fives

I still don't know what the deal is on the precrafting subject. Did someone find a way to get ahead or something?
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    LordAlvert wrote: »
    Only 6 toons are viable dooku Daka qgj Rey gs and qgj. Maybe b teamers... Keep looking elsewhere. If it makes you happy I am going for urrorr. Anakin is dead. Yoda is dead. Jedi are dead. Ashoka has been double buffed. Farm Ugnaught to max and who knows.

I'm in top on a old leaderboard, I still smash through the opponents with QGJ(L), Yoda, Ahsoka, Lumi and Dooku, even with bad RNG I mostly win
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    I've been running all Jedi with the exception of phasma for the crits. But my yoda is very good. He actually has time to steal buffs and spread them. He rarely does in the 2nd or 3rd. ( and I mean rare). His aoe is still killer.
    I also run Annie and I have opposite reviews on him than everybody else does. I realize he is an "attacker" but I use him more as a buff immune and his aoe is better than what people think. No I won't use it to do a lot of damage to everybody. But with a phasma aoe, Annie and yoda aoe, it can get around a RG taunt.
    I win 9-10 arena a day and place 1 for past 2 weeks.
    QGJ/yoda/Annie/Lumi/phasma.
    This has been a great team for me beating clone teams. Very defensive teams and of course the QGJ/Rey/GS/RG teams
  • Thank you Ztyle.
  • Rod, Inhad played since Nov. I played 2 days then deleted the app again. Too time consuming. Of my 25 allies about 20 are now level 70 - meaning they seem to have (temporarily?) quit. These was a list of some of the best most dedicated players. All gone.

I played two days and seen that overall you need to again use the soap chars: those nerfed the least like Rey (relative to her huge damage output).

Since the battles last longer, the team I used in Arena that was winning every single battle was stun-intensive:

Dooku (lead)
    Daka
    RG
    GS (to finish off chars)
    Another high damage/assist char

You need to adjust a bit depending on enemy. If enemy is very tanky (Kylo, 5555, Nighsister, Phasma) you need either two healers or to replace the lower HP chars for tanker chars, or use two taunters (eg. RG plus a 7 Chewy- they will last forever).

I would explore this chars if you don't have them:

RG
    Dooku
    Daka
    Rey
    QGJ (Still very useful)
    Phasma (but only against tanky setups)
    86 (still useful)
  • Thank you clawsofhonor. I am just curious what people are doing now because I'm stumped and not putting anything into leveling up a new team.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member

QGJ so viable he's counted twice.
  • Thank you preemo Magin! I don't have a good Rey or dooku. Maybe I will start working that that direction but I hate chasing old Meta.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    HRS has such a nice kit once you get to level 80
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    edited April 2016

See.. I would say this is crazy. However I know by now that the only thing that is crazy is doubting someone else's experience. I'm running toons I never thought I Would with great success. I'm lucky to be on a server that runs a lot of different things so I get a chance to see and experience (and learn) a lot.

Clones, Rebel, FO, Jedi..even some Tusken hybrid teams. They all are a unique challenge that keeps me on my toes. :)

• at least on my server the meta hasnt changed or hasnt been found - this is pretty much it

Dooko(L)
    RG
    Rey
    QGJ
    GS

the new flavor might be add Daka in for GS
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    The fun part of this "meta" is that I see a lot of new team combos in the top, just for fun I tried my GW team(Barriss(L), 5's, RG, Daka & Lumi) against #12 and won
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • I have max QGJ but I don't have the precrafted gear for him. You guys have been great and have given me some new ideas. Thank you for your responses.

It is late for me now and I'm turning in so I can farm some more tomorrow. Good luck on your raids guys!

• MBL_66
    2465 posts Member

See.. I would say this is crazy. However I know by now that the only thing that is crazy is doubting someone.
    I'm running toons I never thought I Would with great success. I'm lucky to be on a server that runs a lot of different things do I get a chance to see and experience (and learn) a lot.

Clones, Rebel, FO, Jedi..even some Tusken hybrid teams. They all are a unique challenge that keeps you on your toes. :)

Yea I don't think the problem is that there's only a few viable teams, but most people are limited in what toons they can max out so they can't run out all the interesting teams than really can work.
  • Most people on my shard are still running Dooku & QGJ as leader. People are really high on Royal Guard right now. Phasma and Barriss are making a bit of a comeback. I have seen quite a few people running 2 tanks lately which is kind of new.

Personally I haven't changed my squad much since the update. Currently running Poggle (L), GS, IG-86, Phasma, Royal Guard.
  • jomamaphat
    192 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    In arena Kylo ren seems to be trending. I don't have him many many top teams in my server does. Lots of hp and decent attacks and retaliation. I started using st han and rg and seems to be going well.
    I personally think dooku leads are going to go wlaway soon. Dodges were more important when the fights were fast and furious. Now not as important.
  • jordissim
    18 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Top of my server as well. Currently on Level 78, a day away from Level 79, and five away from two extra characters packing X Level Gears (Level 80 required).
    My squad: Ima-Gun Di (lead, gear IX), Mace Windu (gear X), Qui-Gon Jinn (gear IX), Fives (gear IX), Leia (gear X). It's a completely different approach to my previous one: I went for speed and ultra-high damage, now I go for durability plus damage and stealth and bonuses. Ima-Gun Di and Fives prove to be just amazing, Leia has always been.
    My former squad consisted of QGJ (lead), Yoda/Leia, Geonosian Soldier, FOTFP and Rey. I usually managed to win the game during the second round.
    Now things have changed, and top-level players are facing a difficulty I don't believe developers anticipated: it takes so long to play a game in the Arena against an ultra-defensive player (say, Han as lead, with Royal Guard, Poe, Obi Wan, and other HP/tenacity/protection/taunt intensive players) that 5 minutes is barely enough to end it. Most of them end in draws, even when I'm obviously ahead. That's something they should solve ASAP, since it's going to be an even more serious issue once the ceiling of level 80 is reached. It makes things interesting (I would never ever considered getting Ima-Gun Di as my lead in previous circumstances, it's a whole new paradigm), but I spend half my time defending my #1 position even if my immediate opponents are almost 4.000 power points behind me. If, by any chance, the conservative team manages to win, then I have a hard time regaining my position. Time is not on my side, but I refuse to be defensive by nature (it's not my style).
    Developers should expand the time you can spend in Arena battles, especially since I've noticed some not very sporting fellows playing against me not in order to win, with nothing to lose, just to keep their ranks steady (if they are in play, and they just stall, no positions will be lost, but I won't have the opportunity to play in the meantime. Not very sportsmanlike, yet effective for 73 level players with nothing to lose and loads to gain.
    Overall, I welcome changes: they mean more challenging situations. However, EA should be made aware of the time limit problem. An extra couple of minutes and you'll have a happy player instead of a stressed one.
    ¡Cheers!
    Post edited by jordissim on

Art is perfection. Perfection is e^(iπ)+1=0
  • Rod___INL wrote: »
    Lol. Thank you for the response LordAlvert. But I was hoping someone serious would reply. I am truly stumped right now.

It is sad the forums have become filled with trolls so quick.

I wasn't trolling just no hidden gems.
    Ztyle wrote: »

Uggghh I can't win w these

I'm in top on a old leaderboard, I still smash through the opponents with QGJ(L), Yoda, Ahsoka, Lumi and Dooku, even with bad RNG I mostly win

My Jedi same team caused me to throw my phone took much. They used to melt everyone.

Ha!! Meant RG.
  • jordissim wrote: »
    Top of my server as well. Currently on Level 78, two days away from Level 79, and five away from two extra characters packing X Level Gears (Level 80 required).
    My squad: Ima-Gun Di (lead, gear IX), Mace Windu (gear X), Qui-Gon Jinn (gear IX), Fives (gear IX), Leia (gear X). It's a completely different approach to my previous one: I went for speed and ultra-high damage, now I go for durability plus damage and stealth and bonuses.Ima-Gun Di, Leia and Fives prove to be just amazing
    My former squad consisted of QGJ (lead), Yoda/Leia, Geonosian Soldier, FOTFP and Rey. I usually managed to win the game during the second round.
    Now things have changed, and top-level players are facing a difficulty I don't believe developers anticipated: it takes so long to play a game in the Arena against an ultra-defensive player (say, Han as lead, with Royal Guard, Poe, Obi Wan, and other HP/tenacity/protection/taunt intensive players) that 5 minutes is barely enough to end a game. Most of them end in draws, even when I'm obviously ahead. That's something they should solve ASAP, since it's going to be an even more serious issue once the ceiling of level 80 is reached. It makes things interesting (I would never ever considered getting Ima-Gun Di as my lead in previous circumstances, it's a whole new paradigm), but I spend half my time defending my #1 position even if my immediate opponents are almost 4.000 power points behind me. If, by any chance, the conservative team manages to win, then I have a hard time regaining my position. Time is not on my side, but I refuse to be defensive by nature (t's not my style).
    Developers should expand the tie yu can send in Arena battles, although I've noticed some not very sporting fellows just playing against me, nothing to lose, just to keep their ranks steady (if they are in play, and they just stall, no positions will be lost, but I won't have the opportunity to play in the meantime.Not very sportsmanlike, yet effective for 73 level players with nothing to lose and loads to gain.
    Overall, I welcome changes: they mean more challenging situations. However, EA should be made aware of the time limit problem. An extra couple of minutes and you'll have a greatly happy player.
    ¡Cheers!

Nice. +7000
  • I think RG is the new God in Arena. TBH, I avoid teams with a Kylo, Vader, & Sid combo.
  • Zephon
    122 posts Member
    Ztyle wrote: »
    The fun part of this "meta" is that I see a lot of new team combos in the top, just for fun I tried my GW team(Barriss(L), 5's, RG, Daka & Lumi) against #12 and won

I would agree with this -- all of a sudden you see 5's, Barriss, Opress, who would normally just be in GW.
  • Waz675
    193 posts Member
    Playing with walking sticks and walking frames of course! Which reminds me of an old timers joke.

What make a grandma yell /the F word/?
    Another grandma yelling "BINGO!"
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Waiting for guild raids basically. Stopped GW because it was more of a chore.
  • I also hate playing against all Jedi teams with Ima-Gun Did leading. They take forever to kill.
  • jordissim
    18 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Flave50 wrote: »
    I think RG is the new God in Arena. TBH, I avoid teams with a Kylo, Vader, & Sid combo.

From my perspective, I must disagree. I think RG was actually better used before the update was issued (he seldom, if ever, entered my squad; but I played every single day against the same three opponents who used him as a hindrance to my blitz tactics).
    Why do I state so? Succinctly put:
    The autotaunt only activates once health has gone below 50%, which means that it is launched too late in the game, once the protection has worn off. Since the game now takes much more time than before, and one is usually in no hurry to get rid of a precise character at that exact moment, any team featuring counterattack (I suggest durable, high-damage players such as Fives and level IX-X Jedi led by Uma-Gun plus Leia) will get past the taunt precisely when the character that has activated it is most vulnerable: no need to target him when he is below the 50% threshold - once his turn is up he will have no good move except for making use of a (de)buffing, non-attacking action, if he can, which at most is stalling, and wait for the inevitable counter-attacks that will do the trick.
    Plus, at a very high rank, the Royal Guard is actually a nuisance, since it slows down the pace of an Arena game so much that the outcome is very likely to be a Draw. In my experience, no top 10 players aiming to get to #1 use RG, unless they are content to keep their already high ranks, complementing the squad with other ultra-defensive characters such as Han or Poe, whereas players in the 20-10 ranks often use it, but their position is less steady than it used to be against more aggressive rivals.
    I can only talk from my subjective point of view, which is determined by an allergy to defensive tactics and the fact that I have led the ranks in my server almost continuously for the past three months. I know that the way the game is played relies heavily on one's rank, which equals one's close opponents, and the common strengths and weaknesses shared. So I don't know how things go below rank 15 any more (no player below that level ever makes it to the top, so I can't form an opinion on the matter).
    I hope my input proves valuable, although I sincerely have my doubts. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    P.S.: Pray forgive my poor English. Still trying to improve it, to no avail: what is it with this **** language that anyone can learn to communicate in no time at all, but never ever be proficient at it? ;)

Art is perfection. Perfection is e^(iπ)+1=0
  • jomamaphat
    192 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    jordissim wrote: »
    Flave50 wrote: »
    I think RG is the new God in Arena. TBH, I avoid teams with a Kylo, Vader, & Sid combo.

From my perspective, I must disagree. I think RG was actually better used before the update was issued (he seldom, if ever, entered my squad; but I played every single day against the same three opponents who used him as a hindrance to my blitz tactics).
    Why do I state so? Succinctly put:
    The autotaunt only activates once health has gone below 50%, which means that it is launched too late in the game, once the protection has worn off. Since the game now takes much more time than before, and one is usually in no hurry to get rid of a precise character at that exact moment, any team featuring counterattack (I suggest durable, high-damage players such as Fives and level IX-X Jedi led by Uma-Gun plus Leia) will get past the taunt precisely when the character that has activated it is most vulnerable: no need to target him when he is below the 50% threshold - once his turn is up he will have no good move except for making use of a (de)buffing, non-attacking action, if he can, which at most is stalling, and wait for the inevitable counter-attacks that will do the trick.
    Plus, at a very high rank, the Royal Guard is actually a nuisance, since it slows down the pace of an Arena game so much that the outcome is very likely to be a Draw. In my experience, no top 10 players aiming to get to #1 use RG, unless they are content to keep their already high ranks, complementing the squad with other ultra-defensive characters such as Han or Poe, whereas players in the 20-10 ranks often use it, but their position is less steady than it used to be against more aggressive rivals.
    I can only talk from my subjective point of view, which is determined by an allergy to defensive tactics and the fact that I have led the ranks in my server almost continuously for the past three months. I know that the way the game is played relies heavily on one's rank, which equals one's close opponents, and the common strengths and weaknesses shared. So I don't know how things go below rank 15 any more (no player below that level ever makes it to the top, so I can't form an opinion on the matter).
    I hope my input proves valuable, although I sincerely have my doubts. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    P.S.: Pray forgive my poor English. Still trying to improve it, to no avail: what is it with this **** language that anyone can learn to communicate in no time at all, but never ever be proficient at it? ;)

Your English is fine but your logic is heavily flawed. RG is the most valuable toon as long as you have 2 or 3 dps. RG keeps them alive at the beginning. I don't understand your point that we do not want to attack a single character after the update. I use RG and Han with 3 dps and they must be defending well. I used to drop from rank 1 to about 15 to 20 nightly but now at about 5 or 6.
    Dont forget his stun which if used properly can prevent or delay a key move like poggles buff or yodas special