Life is unfair...

RedSix
92 posts Member
This is a response I see a lot in response to ... well ... anything and everything. Someone mentions a game mechanic being unfair, someone replies life is unfair. No one would argue that life is fair. However, what about a game? This is a virtual world after all, created by people. Should it be inherently unfair? Should it be an extension of reality? It doesn't have to be. Why is it that the inequities in real life should be extended into a virtual world that people have created? Think what it says about us when in a world where there doesn't have to be scarcity or inequity that we manufacture those things. We introduce misery in to what can be a paradise. Just seems so unfair...

Replies

• Do you need a hug <3
  • It's a competition, so yeah. The game does have to be unfair.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Sarah: "But that's not fair!!!"
    Jareth: "You keep saying that, I wonder what your basis for comparison is?"

Labyrinth

• Baal
    602 posts Member
    You're asking for things that are fair to be more unfair to others so you feel they are more fair for yourself.

Learn to handle your own instead of begging.
  • It says i dont care B)
  • RedSix
    92 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Baal wrote: »
    You're asking for things that are fair to be more unfair to others so you feel they are more fair for yourself.

Learn to handle your own instead of begging.

Begging? I asked why we would we create inequity when we could create a utopia. I got my answer, people like you. Always picking anger over thinking. Always with an insult instead honest debate. Always looking for the worst. Try looking for the good in people friends.

Actually, I misread you. You need lower than you, in a lower social caste if you will, to have a "fair " system. Interesting.
  • It's a competition, so yeah. The game does have to be unfair.

Really, who are we competing against? We don't really play each other.

• Sweep
    58 posts Member
    I think you have to describe what utopia looks like. I think it's fair for CG to pay me to play this game - that would be utopia. For me.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Im sure there's a carebear friendly sparkle forest game out there....
  • Baal wrote: »
    Im sure there's a carebear friendly sparkle forest game out there....

Every game can be sparkly! :)
  • Forums are unfair. :disappointed:
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Every thing is unfair
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    memes are fair FeelsGoodMan :D

Labyrinth

@Rumpelstilzchen Kudos for knowing your Bowie.

Labyrinth

@Rumpelstilzchen Kudos for knowing your Bowie.

One of my favorite movies. RIP David..
  • The game can't be fair because it pays salaries. Salaries needed for programmers to feed their families. EA needs to pay these employees a "fair" wage(remember this is in reality, what is fair to one is unfair to others). So, by extension, for an application to be developed and maintained requires income from those playing it.
    And the next step, why would someone who pays to play want equality for those who don't. That would seem unfair to me, if I am P2P and you are not but you get the same thing as me. Sounds pretty unfair to me, and a quick way for a business model to fail.
  • ABNRAS
    564 posts Member
    It is completely fair. If you want to be equal to someone in this game, put in the same amount of time they did. Put in the same amount of money they did. If you don't, you chose to not have those things. It would only be unfair if people were being allowed to cheat, which they are not. I guess I just don't see where the game is unfair.
  • RedSix
    92 posts Member
    ABNRAS wrote: »
    It is completely fair. If you want to be equal to someone in this game, put in the same amount of time they did. Put in the same amount of money they did. If you don't, you chose to not have those things. It would only be unfair if people were being allowed to cheat, which they are not. I guess I just don't see where the game is unfair.

I think you are correct in your assessment of effort and reward. But my point was more on the line of when someone claims the game is unfair, the response has been, "life is unfair". So there seems to be a need to extend any real/perceived unfairness in life to a virtual environment. Or to justify any real/perceived unfairness in that virtual environment with the inequity in real life. I find this an interesting phenomena, don't you?
  • ABNRAS
    564 posts Member
    Most people's "real/perceived unfairness in life" = EXCUSE. I don't think about it. I pull out my phone, tap the SWGOH icon, press some buttons, kill some time, then go back to the life I CREATED.

All that aside, "life is unfair" is a figure of speech. I wouldn't over analyze it.
  • Ogunn
    31 posts Member
    Bernie supporters :smile:
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Ogunn wrote: »
    Bernie supporters :smile:

B5HIzcT.png