Is 4 star Old-Ben viable in end game pvp?

I am wondering if a 4 star Old-Ben's 2nd ability has a acceptable successful rate against 6-7 stars characters in end game PVP?
Old-Ben's ability is really awesome and I would like to have Old-Ben in my pvp team but starring him up is impossible for me. So if he not worth it, I will just give up my thoughts on him:/

Replies

• Well his damage will suck, but old Ben is used for his debuffs and also the buff when he dies. And as far as applying debuffs i believe that is dependent on you level and potency, not on your stars. However, a 6 or 7 star character will be more of a benefit to you then any 4star, even if it's old ben. I'd use him and gear him until I have someone to replace and when you replace him on your top five you'll surely need him in gw, so gear him.
  • Star levels only increase the multiplier for str, agi, and int. That is all that stars levels contribute. Go read what str, agi, and int do for your character. Foe example, on average going from 5* to 6* will give you an additional 400 power, and around 300 additional health (depending on the hero of course).

There is a parabolic curve with star levels, with 4* and 5* straddling the arc. You want your heroes to be 4* minimum before assessing their potential.

With Ben at 4*, he will still perform extremely well as his kit is primarily in buffs and debuffs. Max out his Mind Tricks and max his gear and ge will still be legit.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Akster
    571 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I have him at the moment but i dont feel his ability block and offense down is worth the party slot, even if it hits half the opponents. He has the worst damage of any character and will be the last to die anyway ince he has high hp, so his death abiity is meaningless. Offense down does not seem like a significant decrease at all, I seem to die just as fast regardless. Ability block meh it just delays abilities by 1 turn IF they arent on cooldown. Delaying an ability by 1 turn is not often life saving, and even if it is, it is only useful if old ben can mind trick before the enemy has their turn and he is not that fast. So the enemy will have use dall their abilitie already by time you ability block any of them.

I personally really do not like him and feel he wastes a slot for a healer or serious damage dealer. I would take most other characters over him such as sid, lumi, consular, daka, bobba fett all of which are easily farmable without chroma packs.

Others seem to think he is stupid good and hate going against him on the other hand, but I feel his usefullness is massively overstated and situational.

Star level for hi in particular is unimportant, if anything a lower star level means less hp so slightly higher chance of your death passive going off haha.
  • Mindtricks also wipes out the enemy turn meter.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Obi Wan is one of the best you can have - he's deadly at 4* even against other 7* toons (Sid, Lumi, Jinn, etc.) you name it. He doesn't do damage though so you need some heavy hitters, but his mind tricks skill is top tier easily. Find ways to make Ben hit earlier in the round and you should have the table set up well for a victory.
  • Pilot wrote: »
    Star levels only increase the multiplier for str, agi, and int. That is all that stars levels contribute. Go read what str, agi, and int do for your character. Foe example, on average going from 5* to 6* will give you an additional 400 power, and around 300 additional health (depending on the hero of course).

There is a parabolic curve with star levels, with 4* and 5* straddling the arc. You want your heroes to be 4* minimum before assessing their potential.

With Ben at 4*, he will still perform extremely well as his kit is primarily in buffs and debuffs. Max out his Mind Tricks and max his gear and ge will still be legit.

Thanks for mentioning this - the farmable / not farmable thing I think has been oversold and overstressed - at least for some toons. 4* toons with good abilities are totally competitive with many 7* toons. Vader comes to mind here especially. Old Ben as well. I think as long as you have decent health and good skills you are just fine at 4*. My 4* Vader is completely capable and competitive against other 7* toons.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Obi-Wan for me falls into the "annoying but not deadly" category, because of the anti-Jedi capabilities of many dark side characters now. Especially if you are running Dooku, it is very easy to keep someone like Ben stun-locked and/or ability-blocked almost all the time. He works best in $$$ teams with other high-output targets that are a higher-priority. Still, as annoying as his mind trick is, it is not that bad and after it goes away you have enough time to get rid of him before he does it again.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Hey all, new poster here, similar question to the one posted by the OP.

I got Grand Moff Tarkin today and geared him up to level 6, currently level 55 running Mace Windu, Anakin, Luminara, Luke Skywalker, and FOT Pilot as my main PvP team, placing in the top 200, 14,720 power.

Is his offense down ability worth swapping out Mace Windu? The rest of my team does good damage, so it could work great with the raw damage my team can put out and can also serve as a good replacement for my 3* General Veers as he'll take forever to star up.
  • Yea i would switch out mace windu for old ben if you have him, mace is really underwhelming in comparison to old ben.
  • I have been using old ben on my pvp and since I have put him as leader I'm not dropping many spots on the ladder. His leader skill is great especially with a couple of characters that can already evade which will slow their team down significantly. I'm level 57 and I wouldn't drop him because he's too good. You can time his skill with a round where you don't want them to heal. not always first round as he is slow and will cast it after they have already used their best skill.

Having said this he is still faster then darth maul and if you haven't killed him yet use it first round to avoid a smashing :)
  • Anything 4* isn't worth it at end game with all 7*s
  • xJazzx wrote: »
    Anything 4* isn't worth it at end game with all 7*s
    xJazzx wrote: »

This isn't completely true, especially when talking about old ben....because in a high dps team you will have other priorities to attack first leaving old Ben to skill lock and remove turns and make your team weak af, and if you kill him before a all high dps are down...you're in for a world of hurt I tell you lol with those 5 buffs, and when facing the computer, this set up will wipe the floor with any high star healing team xD your argument is invalid
  • But then again I'm very strategic when it comes to arena so it's no wonder that I could out smart you :)
  • xJazzx wrote: »

Would have to disagree here, 4* vader is very capable against 7* toons. Atleast in my experience with using him.
  • moddom wrote: »
    xJazzx wrote: »

Would have to disagree here, 4* vader is very capable against 7* toons. Atleast in my experience with using him.

Agree also. 4* Ben, 4* Vader. Have to look at the stats and abilities - not the stars. Vader at 4* maxed has over 11k health - more than many 7* toons. He has a damage on his culling blade that does a min of 5k damage for me and will often do 8-11k. That's on top of him having 3x DOT on other toons. What's not to like there - that takes no back seat to many other 7* toons.
  • I rarely use Ben anymore but not to say he doesn't have his uses. In the current situation with the game he's not quite as effective now.
  • Darkness wrote: »
    I rarely use Ben anymore but not to say he doesn't have his uses. In the current situation with the game he's not quite as effective now.

Ben is one of the most effective toons in the game - meter control + damage down + special block is incredibly potent. You have to get him hitting as early in the match as possible and then you'll see tremendous impact.
  • I've been crippled a few times in Arena when the enemy QGJ was able to get Ben's mind tricks out before I got my turn. He's lousy for damage and doesnt really offer much beyond that, but if a fight can be decided in the first round it doesnt matter.