Do you automatically assume the whales are rich?

Prev1
fudgra
982 posts Member
edited April 2016
Like when I see someone on level 77 with chromium characters all on gear 9 I assume they're rich or have rich parents and spend all their time playing the game.

Replies

• Options
    To be a whale you gotta spend $650++
    What kind of parent allows that?
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    If they're spending that much money and are not rich (as in this is easily expendable income), then they need gambling counseling.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    depends on what you consider "rich" You dont have to be a milionair to become a whale. If you spend 150 a month out of a 1500 pay check i wouldnt call you rich, but i would call you a whale.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    some are "rich", whatever that means. I think a lot of whale habits are mishandled spending. They arent necessarily rich, they just spend an large amount of their surplus income in game. Im sure some are going into debt, and some are not paying bills, and there are also some who make more in one month than my house and car are worth. Just because you spend $600 a month on a game doesnt make you rich. I spent that much on alcohol monthly in my early 20's, and i was by no means rich. Its all about priorities.
  • BillyBeans
    440 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    some are "rich", whatever that means. I think a lot of whale habits are mishandled spending. They arent necessarily rich, they just spend an large amount of their surplus income in game. Im sure some are going into debt, and some are not paying bills, and there are also some who make more in one month than my house and car are worth. Just because you spend $600 a month on a game doesnt make you rich. I spent that much on alcohol monthly in my early 20's, and i was by no means rich. Its all about priorities.

This. Disposable income varies from person to person, just like what they decide to spend it on.

Not sure why everyone is trying to figure out the "whales" financial status all the time on here. It's the Internet, they can say whatever they want. Heck, one guy claimed to be a MLB player. Might be, might not. Oh well. Move on.

I am no whale. My wife would laugh at me and make fun of me for being a "dork that plays Star Wars on my phone" if she knew I spent money on this. However, she has no problem spending $1000s on a purse...
  • M9silent
    821 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

This.
    BillyBeans wrote: »

This. Disposable income varies from person to person, just like what they decide to spend it on.

Not sure why everyone is trying to figure out the "whales" financial status all the time on here. It's the Internet, they can say whatever they want. Heck, one guy claimed to be a MLB player. Might be, might not. Oh well. Move on.

I am no whale. My wife would laugh at me and make fun of me for being a "dork that plays Star Wars on my phone" if she knew I spent money on this. However, she has no problem spending $1000s on a purse...

And also this
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options

I am no whale. My wife would laugh at me and make fun of me for being a "dork that plays Star Wars on my phone" if she knew I spent money on this. However, she has no problem spending $1000s on purses...

I was going to make a snide comment but you beat me to it with your last sentence lol

It always amuses me when people give other people crap for their hobbies and spending on certain items when they themselves have their own vices (I never understood needing a pair of shows and a purse for every outfit in the closet).
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Options

Lmao +1
  • Options
    Moved to off topic.
  • Options
    My answer to OP's question is i personally think when i see a obvious whale " well that 1 has some serious issues". Not trying to offend but that's just how i see irresponsible spending. And further that even if you have a lot, it doesn't make your spending any wiser and most of us who have a fortune must know the meaning of ROI, which in this case is not worth it in any means.
  • Options
    I'm not rich, I pay my Bills, I save money. I also spend on this game when I feel like it. Some would say there are better places to spend money and that is probably true. However... I used to be a bar fly, would always stop on my way home from work and have a few (or more) with the boys. I don't do that anymore. I used to have a couple useless hobbies that I dropped money on.

This game is a source of entertainment for me. people put money into different forms of entertainment all the time. I don't consider myself a whale however.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    I mean if someone's not really wealthy wouldn't all that money be better put towards a retirement fund?

Think about how $600 a month would add up over 20 years.

• dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    there's a whale on my shard with a korean name i believe that's the one and only supreme leader kim jong un.
  • Options
    dvl009 wrote: »
    there's a whale on my shard with a korean name i believe that's the one and only supreme leader kim jong un.

Ask him if he poops. Then you'll know for sure.
  • Options
    Rich is a social construction, what is money but a piece of cloth that is given meaning by society. It's 2016, lets be a little more PC here. The word whale is just a symbol to represent something large and is also given value by society. Without society there is no EA, there is no galaxy heros, and money has no value!
  • Options

Ask him if he poops. Then you'll know for sure.

Depends if he listens to Katy Perry and drinks margaritas
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    GOfish52 wrote: »
    Rich is a social construction, what is money but a piece of cloth that is given meaning by society. It's 2016, lets be a little more PC here. The word whale is just a symbol to represent something large and is also given value by society. Without society there is no EA, there is no galaxy heros, and money has no value!

so you can become a whale, wich is given value by society, by spending money wich has no value ? seems like an good investment ;)
  • aGlint
    54 posts Member
    Options
    is a whale dumb for spending the some of their extra money they earn on a game?
    or
    is a non-whale dumb for spending vast amounts of time playing games when they could be improving themselves to make more money?

each person is different. no-one spends 100% of their money on only the necessary food/shelter/medical even if they're poor. a smoker will waste thousands of dollars over their life on cigarettes . certainly there are people of all income ranges that do and do not spend lots of money in games for their own reasons. anyone who judges another person or makes assumptions should look at the way they use their own time/money in life and see if it is perfect.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    aGlint wrote: »
    is a whale dumb for spending the some of their extra money they earn on a game?
    or
    is a non-whale dumb for spending vast amounts of time playing games when they could be improving themselves to make more money?

actually, not spending money on this game decreases the time you can actually play it :p
    i run out of stamina, and i cant play anymore xD
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    "i run out of stamina, and i cant play anymore" LMAO you know how tempting it is to make an inappropriate joke? unfortunately i've prolly made too many of those and caused some threads to be closed :'(
  • Options
    "Whales" are very important, they keep the game free for the rest of us lol
  • Options
    GOfish52 wrote: »

@GOfish52 PC about what?!?! Holy freaking liberalism. Try to live your life without that "piece of cloth" that has no "real" value...see how that pans out for ya.

And, by the way..."rich" is not a social construction, it is a term that describes a class of people based on their financial prosperity. Rich, poor, upper middle class, lower middle class, whatever terminology you want to use, regardless, describes a person based off of a certain characteristic...

I don't want to make any assumptions, but I am eagerly awaiting your liberal response.
  • Options
    When people spend thousands of dollars, or say things like "I haven't spent that much, only like $200-$600", I assume you're loaded.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    I assume that they are 2 seconds from becoming divorced, jobless, and homeless. Hehe! :smile:
  • Options
    I'm definitely loaded.
  • Lambi
    473 posts Member
    Options
    No, I automatically feel bad for the wives of whales.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    Lambi wrote: »

whales couple don't live together i think, so they probably don't care what each other does. they only meet once, mate, and go on their seperated way. Wives get pregnant and nurture their offspring until they are old enough, while the husbands go back to whatever the hell they were doing before mating, in this case obviously playing swgoh.

Females, referred to as "cows", carry the responsibility of childcare as males, referred to as "bulls", play no part in raising calves.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale
  • Options

whales couple don't live together i think, so they probably don't care what each other does. they only meet once, mate, and go on their seperated way. Wives get pregnant and nurture their offspring until they are old enough, while the husbands go back to whatever the hell they were doing before mating, in this case obviously playing swgoh.

Females, referred to as "cows", carry the responsibility of childcare as males, referred to as "bulls", play no part in raising calves.

We have a winner.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options

We have a winner.

*tips fedora*