Can we PLEASE get a better arena refresh method

Varlie
1286 posts Member
When in the top 15-20, you can only target the 5 ranks below you but I just spent a full minute refreshing the opponent list and it showed #8, 9, 11 every time except for once where it replaced 11 with 10 (I'm currently sitting at 12). It never once showed rank 7.

I finally just tapped it as fast as I could and the game crashed on me.

Why can't we see five choices instead of 3, for higher level battles those can be randomized as it is now but on rank 1-20 battles you can see everyone that you are able to attack instead of relying on the RNG to show you the one you want.

Replies

• Im rank 9 itnonly shows rank 5
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Did they drop the variance to 4 now? I thought you could go 5 below.
  • From 13 you can reach 8, and from 12 you can only reach 8, so in the top 12 you can only move up 4 ranks.
  • StarSon
    7428 posts Member
    Im rank 9 itnonly shows rank 5

Pretty sure top 10 it drops to only 4 spaces, but 40-11 it shows 5.

Either way I agree. Annoying to have to hit refresh so many times, especially if all you learn is that you want to hit someone from the original list.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    @StarSon - Yes, I have done that refresh and refresh and then decide that I really don't want to hit that target.

Thanks for clearing up the rank options, @Dooku_for_days. I know there was a post once upon a time which had the breakdown but I couldn't find it.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    What @Dooku_for_days said. Yesterday I spent trying to beat the #5, #6 and #7 guys on the server, couldn't even get close, but I knew I could beat #1, #2 and #3. Kind of frustrating.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    The frustrating things about Arena:

Arena is NOT (And never has been) about strength/synergy/abilities of your team, it is about 3 other things:

1) Timing (when you/others fight the battles) - this can be significantly affected by the time zone you live in and how "common" it is on your shard. Doubly frustrating when you win a battle easily...only to be swapped exactly back to the same rank by the team you just beat during your cool down.

2) How much money you are willing to spend in arena. For the most part, it is only worth "refreshing" is you have crystals to burn for the fun of playing arena battles - or you are positive you can finish in the top 5. (per pac0naut's point)

3) RNG. On offense and defense (and on defense this is only made worse by the horrible AI). In point 1 above, I mentioned the frustration of being swapped back and forth - now imagine the team bumping you back is a level and 2k power weaker than you. Good work AI.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    +1
    {RotE}
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    The frustrating things about Arena:

Arena is NOT (And never has been) about strength/synergy/abilities of your team, it is about 3 other things:

1) Timing (when you/others fight the battles) - this can be significantly affected by the time zone you live in and how "common" it is on your shard. Doubly frustrating when you win a battle easily...only to be swapped exactly back to the same rank by the team you just beat during your cool down.

2) How much money you are willing to spend in arena. For the most part, it is only worth "refreshing" is you have crystals to burn for the fun of playing arena battles - or you are positive you can finish in the top 5. (per pac0naut's point)

3) RNG. On offense and defense (and on defense this is only made worse by the horrible AI). In point 1 above, I mentioned the frustration of being swapped back and forth - now imagine the team bumping you back is a level and 2k power weaker than you. Good work AI.

+1
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

I did this yesterday. Bounced between 12 and 8 against someone in my timezone. Unfortunately, he had the timing for the final battle and I ended up back at 12.
  • +1 to everything in this thread.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Me too ^^^!
  • Agree, it's really annoying when you have to press refresh 50 times just to see #8 when you are #13. And when you press to fast you get an error or you accidently press refresh when you finally see the #8 :s
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I am honestly surprised that you can't "see" further up the line than you can attack. This would only encourage people to refresh to strive further..."I can beat that dude in 18! I just have to get into the top 50 first..."
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • thee_pdx
    302 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    i used to not move much, but went from 147 to 267 overnight last nihgt?!

I dont tend to use crystal for extra attempts, as Im nowhere near winning them back.

but this is the first itme its dropped so far?

also everyone around my rank seems to be much higher power/level than me, somethings a bit odd.

edit, just checked, im down to 280. not been this low in weeks? Ive since upgraded a load of toons too.

OUt of interest, if i upgrade my toons between battles, does the upgraded version play my opponents, or not update til i next play?

cheers
    Post edited by thee_pdx on
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Varlie wrote: »
    I did this yesterday. Bounced between 12 and 8 against someone in my timezone. Unfortunately, he had the timing for the final battle and I ended up back at 12.

Yep, the factor 4) Know who plays at the same time as you do, and try to navigate around them. If you can't (or don't know) then target someone that's not the highest you can reach (e.g. from 12 to 9): the other guy will likely not hit you back, as he can progress more by hitting someone else (the no. 8).

@cosmicturtle333 Are you not in a quiet time zone? Or perhaps it's the time when all of Americas are flushing out whatever attempts they still have after their payout?

I also noticed that I fall back much lower during week-end than other days, and my team has nothing to do with it. With the same team, I've held on to #12 one day and dropped to #50 the next day.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Tiggus wrote: »
    Varlie wrote: »

Yep, the factor 4) Know who plays at the same time as you do, and try to navigate around them. If you can't (or don't know) then target someone that's not the highest you can reach (e.g. from 12 to 9): the other guy will likely not hit you back, as he can progress more by hitting someone else (the no. 8).

@cosmicturtle333 Are you not in a quiet time zone? Or perhaps it's the time when all of Americas are flushing out whatever attempts they still have after their payout?

I also noticed that I fall back much lower during week-end than other days, and my team has nothing to do with it. With the same team, I've held on to #12 one day and dropped to #50 the next day.

Today was the first time I ranked top 100 in a week. It doesn't matter what timezone I'm in if I can't contest at high ranks.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.