RG is a Dummy.

Timitock
2844 posts Member
When I was in basic training, I had a drill instructor that would call everyone "Dummy".
This was mild compared to what the other instructors called us, and one day I summoned the courage to inquire about it. His response was classic:

"Come here, Dummy, and Push until I tell you to stop!" he responded in his customary Southern drawl.
"Not YOU, Dummy, the Dummy that asked me the question, but YOU can Push, too!"
(Some other Dummy had moved quicker than me, assuming he was in trouble.)
"Who do you think they had us practice yelling at in Drill school, Dummy?"
"Dummies, Drill Sarn't!" I said, pausing, and thinking myself clever...
"No, Dummy," he replied, "and keep pushing!"
"We yelled at EACH OTHER, Dummy! Now do 5 more, both you Dummies, and recover back to formation!"

"I was the last man on the list, and didnt have anyone to yell at, Dummies!" he said to the formation. "So when they gave JUST ME a dummy, Dummy, (in my face now) what did people start calling me?"
"Dummy, Drill Sarn't!" I stated confidently.
"NO, Dummy! They didn't call me 'Dummy Drill Sarn't', I hadn't graduated yet! They just called me Sarn't Dummy, Dummy!", and with that he walked away.

Nobody ever asked him any more questions after that...
... but one grunt did later accidentally called him "Drill Sarn't Dummy" to his face...

Yeah, so I call the RG "Dummy", when I face his teams, and I giggle.
As in "Oh, its you again, Dummy!" or,...
"Come here, Dummy!" when he Taunts...
"NO, Dummy!" when he Stuns...
"Stop that, Dummy!" when he Evades...
and "Stay Down, Dummy!" when he dies.

Replies

• RU486
    1686 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Hahaha

Didn't read any of that by the way.
  • RU486 wrote: »
    Hahaha

Didn't read any of that by the way.

I got through a few sentences, :D
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    Ah the stories of basic training! Always good. Thanks for your service @Timitock
  • Thraken
    51 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    7.5/10
    I giggled
  • WildGrunt
    1230 posts Member
    Timitock wrote: »
    ... but one grunt did later accidentally called him "Drill Sarn't Dummy" to his face...

Was he a wild grunt?
  • Hmmm.. My basic training wasn't as dumb as this our drill sergeants were decently reasonable. And I went to fort benning. Assuming you went to the other non infantry bases it always seems that the other basic training bases play more "F-F" games than benning.
  • Thanks for your service!
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    usArmyJedi wrote: »
    Hmmm.. My basic training wasn't as dumb as this our drill sergeants were decently reasonable. And I went to fort benning. Assuming you went to the other non infantry bases it always seems that the other basic training bases play more "F-F" games than benning.

No, I went to Sand Hill, too..., and Jump and RIP, etc...

I packaged the story for a quick, funny delivery, trying to de-emphasize the military and my connection to it. I do not care for recognition because I never went anywhere or did anything meaningful. The exclamations are more emphasis than yelling, he was just talking like a Driil. And it was only a few push-ups, he was being cutsie, messing with our heads. He was a Tabbed leg from 10th Mtn, cant remember his name. He was from another platoon.

My Driils were Santiago and LeSure. Santiago called us all "Prribate"(Private), and LeSure was a short-timer so he didnt insult us, he was happy all the time.