Galactic Wars - Characters you never use, and those you cannot live without

Fantazy
553 posts Member
edited December 2015
So, tell me which characters are part of your GW essential survival kit (and why, which strategy do you use with them) and which ones you just can't find a way to use (also let us know why specifically).

Looking for specifics, not generic things.

My case:

I can't live without
  • Poe: his speed, and his offense down on the opponent Sid (which are often slower than him)
  • Sidious: his speed mostly
  • Dooku: his speed, the random lucky stuns from his main attack.
  • Lumi/Consular: my only useful heals. Doh.

I throw in the suicide squad:
  • Any unit below 40 (especially the free ewok)
  • Chewie as leader (I never use him except to dodge attacks in the suicide squad)
  • Boba
  • Poe (he can come out unscathed)

I can't use much past node 3-4 (nor suicide squad) but wish I could:
  • Leia 2*
  • FO Tie Pilot 2*
  • Res Trooper 3*
  • Ig-86 2*

All potentially great units, but just can't take a hit from opponent despite their blue gear. Le Squish. :(
ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE

Replies

• old Daka is essential to me in GW! Her stuns n resurrects are useful, and she helps to fight against sidious who keeps evading Lum/JC attacks.

Talia with 1st Attack at lvl 6 is good too, as she can heal herself after using her water of life. But I am not sure why opponents always likes to focus fire on her :(

Is Poe really that good in GW? I thought he would die easily. I am hoping to get ewok elder and poogle the lesser for GW too!
  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Ewok Elder, Poe, and Ashoka are my godsends in GW.

Ohh.. specifics?
    Ewok has 100% revive and a 50% revive (2 revives). After retreating and replacing the injured, you put them all on the same team with ewok and another healer and take them back in to heal them up. Ewok ensures no loss.
    Poe can block.
    Ashoka is both a damage dealer and a healer who can also heal herself on basic attacks just like talia.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Fantazy
    553 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    ccfoo wrote: »
    Is Poe really that good in GW? I thought he would die easily.

Poe has high tenacity so he resists a lot of debuffs (which result in self-heals from passive ability). I'm struggling with heals in GW so any scraps is good for me (including Sidious' as well). The best part is really his speed, he often can cast Offense down on the nasty Sids out there. That's mostly how I use him in GW.

edit: I've completed 11 GW so far. Not always able to.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Pilot wrote: »
    Ewok has 100% revive and a 50% revive (2 revives). After retreating and replacing the injured, you put them all on the same team with ewok and another healer and take them back in to heal them up. Ewok ensures no loss.

Ooh. I dislike Ewoks, but I might start to like this one if I ever get him. I didn't know he had these abilities! Never seen him in GW or Arena.

ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Barriss is the best leader for GW by a wide margin.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Switching teams depending on opponent. Lots of Jedi? Switch in Maul. Lots of AOE? Dooku, Fisto and Aayla for triple counter attack goodness. And healers... Always healers. I prefer to heal midway into the battle. Later than that and they'll not reset cooldowns before next. The last turns I can rely on Barriss leadership skill and attack to bring everybody to 100% for free.
  • Sid, Dooku, Vader, Lumi, JC. If Lumi or JC get knocked out, replace with Daka or Talia. Then go with Chewy, Opress, or Luke. If all those go down I'm basically done because it means I've hit a super strong team I can't go beyond.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Nobody should ever get knocked out unless you are extremely unlucky. I need to write a GW guide. Maybe tomorrow.
  • I can help on a GW guide as well. People just need to understand the mechanics and how to assemble a squad to fit a certain purpose. This relies on having some diversity on your bench. GW is designed for the long haul fight and your aren't expected to walk through all of the nodes with the same team.

People get mad when they lose an A team hero on node 9 and don't realize they could have fought and won with better planning and preparation.

Most of the hardest debuffs and buffs to handle can be simply cheesed using retreat. I use this now but I don't expect it to be available forever.

I cycle through my teams, with Barriss being pretty much the only constant. I have a roster of about 12 heroes now that cycles in. Most are farmable or available without spending a ton. I'm not a F2P player, but I don't really do much with chromium packs. (Since wasting on some when I first started.) I don't have Rylo or any of the new players besides Poe (free) and I think I have a FOTP but only at 2* and level 1. I have cleared GW every day but one when I got cocky and didn't retreat and lost too many.
  • Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    GW is designed for the long haul fight and your aren't expected to walk through all of the nodes with the same team.

but my guess is that most people are, swapping 1-2 units tops, and here is why: they have 5-6 purple characters they are working on, the rest of the roster can barely withstand attacks from 5-7* purple 60s, and they need to salvage our poor guys for the long run.

For me, if I lose Lumi, I'm pretty much done for. I'm not quite there yet to win GW on a regular basis. I didnt buy Barrises (and its other 3 characters in the pack) and I did not win 4* from Bronze, so it's just a question of time to build/promote more units that can eat a good hit in the face in GW and then do something useful right back.

Right now the only way I was able to finish is to abuse the retreat option, and make smart choices depending on the speed of the opponent units.

ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    Pulled bariss from bronzing a few days ago and she's still lvl 1. Can't imagine ever needing her when half my allies have 1 I can borrow and I run daka and lumi on my main squad and jc and Talia for backup.
  • I use JC, Lumi, Sid, Dooku, Ventress for 90% of my GW battles. I have a bunch of cannon fodder, and occasionally Ill sub in Vader, Ashoka, or resistance trooper in case I need something else.
  • For GW, my only constant is Barriss. And I'm not even sure I'll keep her much longer. The slow but steady heals are nice (leader, and basic) and the equalize portion of her heal is a good oh-**** button.

JC/Lumi are almost constant in my squads but I do swap them here and there.

Otherwise, I have teams built around a few purposes. You are probably right that not too many people are diversifying their rosters, and that explains some of the frustrations. I don't want GW to be any easier myself.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    GW is supposed to require a diverse roster. They even go so far as to mention this as one of the standard response lines if you click on the feature before level 40.
    I really don't want them to make this any easier, because right now it is *usually* hard enough to allow a win with good strategy and a loss without one. And GW is the only thing in the game that offers any meaningful challenge, other than redoing missions (yawn). There is effectively no PvP in this game, since the system is poorly designed and comes down not to skill but to who can afford to sit tapping on their phone at 5:45pm as opposed to commuting or making dinner or doing other things. Oh, and who pays crystals to bypass the timer. The PvP feature is awful, aside from the goodies.
  • I run IG-88, JC, Lumi, Daka, and Dooku 99% of the time. With retreating and other tricks, I pretty much never swap characters.

My three healers are pretty much the essentials. Getting JC to level 58 is huge because of more uptime on his heal.
  • GW IS EASY ONCE YOU HAVE ENOUGH CHARACTERS.
  • Wispsi
    255 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I run ahsoka lumi jc ewokelder Talia,

I would consider swapping in my chewie or sid instead of talia it is just not something I have found necessary since unlocking this squad.

All the others I do not bother with, I find nobody else is needed...it really really surprised me when people say they need 2/3 fully levelled squads to do it...And I am basically f2p so I don't have enough people to bother with suicide squads, just go in, win the battle, once you have killed 2 people (occasionally 3) stop using specials focus on healing and cooldowns and you do t even need to retreat and reorganise to be ready for the next node, you almost always end up completely fresh.

I barely ever bother with retreat, I doubt I have used it more then 6 times in an entire galactic war, although as I only just got my ewok elder to 3 stars occasionally some super starred purple crit monsters will take him out in a single turn, and if that happens a reset is necessary, but that is actually really rare haven't had to do that more then 3 times in a day and 2 of them were the same person on turn 1.