Usual suspects

Just wanted to get an idea as to what the overall impression is on the recent overhaul. I was hoping it would make certain characters a lot more viable, but it seems it's still (by and large) the same cluster of characters in the Arena top 20, with those previously seen as underwhelming still sitting at the bottom of the toy box.

Despite not being a fan of the prequels and Clone Wars cartoons, I have a soft spot for Asajj, and was hoping this update would see her as being a genuine threat. But she isn't. Even with the damage upgrade, it still isn't enough to counter the speed disparity. Even when I have her as lead it's only a marginal improvement - and that means forgoing the far superior leader abilities such as Dooku's.
Luke is another that comes to mind. I read elsewhere that his damage was actually nerfed in the last update. Because he wasn't already underwhelming enough? With many of the more powerful characters from the previous build (like nameless prequel bug) remaining largely unchanged, it seems like a missed opportunity to get a greater mix of characters in the top tiers.

Replies

• Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Nighsister team is still very powerful with Asajj leader.
  • Options
    You still have the same usual suspects, but...

The update has indeed made many more toons and combos useful. You just haven't seen a huge shift in Squad Arena yet because many players are just starting to realize this.

A short list of toons that benefited:
    RG
    ST Han
    Phasma
    Fives

Teams that now seem at the very least viable:
    Rebel
    Empire
  • Options
    Fives and ST Han are obvious exceptions.
  • Options
    The most obvious reason for top20 staying pretty much the same is that ppl dont have those toons maxed that have become viable. Also as noted b4 some toons already viable did get even better.
    Maxed toons are needed in high lvl arena and tje gearing being slow as... We know why this isnt happening straight away.
  • Skeetabyte42
    325 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The most obvious reason for top20 staying pretty much the same is that ppl dont have those toons maxed that have become viable. Also as noted b4 some toons already viable did get even better.
    Maxed toons are needed in high lvl arena and tje gearing being slow as... We know why this isnt happening straight away.

Very true. Han and RG were contenders even prior to the update. Phasma and Fives had started to slide, however.

Your argument about maxed toons is valid. But I also think a lot people just said, "If it ain't broken..." and kept Dooku as lead.

Based on the forums and what I've seen in my Leaderboard, I think a lot of people experimented a bit, dropped in Arena ranking, and went back to "tried and true". The gave up and stopped experimenting. I haven't, and you can see quite a few players in the forums now finding odd teams - previously unusable - that really kick!!

My team:
    6* ST Han (L)
    7* Phasma
    7* Poggle
    7* IG-86
    7* GS

I finish around #10-20 in Squad Arena daily.
  • Options
    I don't mind Asajj's low speed, albeit I would absolutely love for her to get a speed boost. I use her for cleanup ...that hard hit to knock off the last HP of a char, dispel all those pretty buffs, etc. She has an advantage, and it built, towards going last. My lv.65 6* G8 hits for 5k+ majority of the time ;)
  • Options
    I've invested in Asajj early on, kinda backed off her a bit, but have her at lvl 70, 6* and GL8. She def has some utility and good damage, but the speed is...discouraging.
  • Options

There's a sizeable portion of players who have quite obviously spent a lot of money on this game, and if there were any lower level characters who were suddenly contenders for top billing, you can be sure they'd be levelled and geared pretty darn quick - much like immediately following the RG buff.

I noted that there were some characters who have seen a noticeable improvement, but most haven't. I wasn't alone in hoping that this last update would be the shakeup needed to get some imaginative and diverse combinations going, but that aside from the odd Clone grouping or Ewok combination, that hasn't really been the case.
  • Options
    Alexone wrote: »
    Nighsister team is still very powerful with Asajj leader.

It's decent, but against the likes of a Dooku, RG/Han, GS, Rey, QGJ team, it doesn't fair well.
  • Options
    Nightsisters can be quite good, better than most expect, I believe. I too have Asajj: 6* L72 VIII A6. She's been sitting at 6* for a long while as I farmed up some other interests. For a long time she was on my GW A team, but recently she's been faltering. So yesterday I found myself on GW node 12 having depleted most of my better squads and facing L71 7* team. Figured I would soften them up by putting in the Nightsisters I have and after they were used up, mop up with the remains of my other injured squads.
    Asajj 6* L72 VIII (L), NSI 7* L70 VII, Talia 4* L70 VIII, Acolyte 2* L55 VII, Savage 6* L74 IX
    They won, and were surprisingly good. Finished with NSI and Savage still standing. Long-term plan is to get a full Nightsister team, but the Daka farm is still third or fourth on my list.