Teebo and the "non-tank" discussion

Powda
525 posts Member
edited April 2016
Further to another discussion that was closed...

I'd like to keep discussing Teebo specifically, but other anomalies in GoH like other characters that don't fit within their typical archetypes.

I agree with several others that Teebo is not a *TANK*, especially not in the sense that most other games define them. He's a support character with a lot of hit points. You could drop his HP by 1/3 and up his damage by 1/2 and you'd be on your way to a decent support character.

You wanna make him a better tank as is...? CHANGE HIS LEADERSHIP ability and take away that useless need for stealth on his basic.

Guerilla Warfare - Allies that take damage have a 35% chance to gain stealth for one turn and allies that are damaged below 50% health have an additional 25% chance to gain 25% turn meter.

Now, based on THAT leader ability...

Stealth Takedown – Deal Physical damage to target enemy. If Teebo has Offense Up, also remove 75% Turn Meter.

Ewok Scramble Tactics – Ewok allies gain 100% Turn Meter. Teebo gains Offense Up.

Bring Low – Deal unavoidable Physical damage to target enemy and remove all positive status effects. If any effects are removed, also remove 30% Turn Meter. (This is probably fine, as is. It's currently underwhelming, but fine considering you just made Teebo way more viable.)

NEW UNIQUE - Endor Ambush - If Teebo has Stealth at the beginning of his turn, Teebo loses stealth and gains offense up.

You can obviously adjust that as necessary for balance, but that's a WAY better version for a character classified as tank. He gives characters that are in danger a chance of getting away from that danger and focusing the damage on himself by providing less targets to attack. There are definitely other ways that Teebo could be designed to be more tanky, but I'm trying to preserve what I figure is EA's wanting to create a tank based around stealth.

Currently, Teebo is only good so long as he has stealth which makes no sense for a character designed with low damage and a high health pool. Teebo's leadership ability further creates more problems by creating a possibility where the people you WANT to take damage DON'T (because they have stealth) and the people you want to protect are left vulnerable.

MECHANICALLY, with my design, Teebo's now made to disrupt the other team by dropping characters that are GETTING ATTACKED into Stealth. If Teebo gets attacked and he drops into stealth, he gets buffed and pops out of stealth at the beginning of his turn. This is far better mechanically and allows Teebo to essentially be a tank without the "tanks have taunt" problem.

THEMATICALLY, you have a brave Ewok that is popping in and out of sight causing a distraction to help protect the other Ewoks and draw fire while they scramble and hide to better prepare an attack.

That's my take on Teebo having used him for a very long time and having seen all his shortcomings, especially compared to the other top-tier characters.

Replies

• Duckoo
    279 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    What if we just redefined tanks to "mitigating damage." So now you look at Teebo and see his skills really do line up for mitigating damage. If you look at traditional tanks in most games they have strong mitigation as well as taunting ability.

His leader ability has a chance to give characters stealth and TM (a lot more at 8 than it is at 8, 50% chance for 25% tm gain).
    His basic ability removes turn meter from enemies, preventing them from doing damage
    His stealth ability not only is necessary for his basic ability, but also gives ewoks more tm letting them kill off other characters and preventing damage
    His bring low ability also manipulates TM and removes positive effects.

Of course, that also means a character like Phasma or whatever would be a tank. I still think that Teebo is a soft tank. Someone you go after because of his ability to change the tide of the battle.

My short response, I don't want all of my tanks to be the same. I enjoy Teebo as is.