Max Levels and Jargon

Hi All,

New to the game / forum (only level 47....still not completed light or dark side missions, rank 500ish in PvP, and can't complete GW (except once)

- The stars are easy to understand
- What's the max gear level?
- Max ability levels?
- And can someone break down all the acronyms I'm seeing as I am not understanding them at the moment

Any tips will be helpful (I am combing the forum for them)

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Options
    This site will help you out a lot, and contains the answer to most questions you might have: http://www.swgohcantina.com

As far as acronyms, it would be easier if you list the ones you are having problems with
  • Options
    Thanks for the link! That will help

I'll get back with the acronyms
  • Options
    Can someone explain nerfed and buff?

And, what happened with barriss offee?
  • Options
    Nerfed means they become weaker, their stats are diminished.

Buffed is the opposite, stronger.

We do not speak of the Heroine bundle.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    Thanks though I have a few more questions.

Where does the word nerfed come from? And, when do these stats become diminished?

Same questions for buffed - does it mean stats become stronger as level increases? If so, they why would stats diminish, as in nerfed?

Also, I've heard or seen debuff - does that mean a character can diminish another's stats?
  • Options
    Buff has two meanings. The first is to make a character stronger. This isn't the same as leveling them to make them stronger, it is a complete change to the character to make them stronger overall.

E.g. they buffed Asajj to do 'Endless Wrath: base damage increased by approximately 32%'

This is in theory permanent, and it applies to Asajj from level 1, 1* gear 1 through to level 60, 7* gear 7 and so on.

In game there are buffs and debuffs. Above a heroe's head is a green square that improves something, e.g. plus 10% dodge chance.

A debuff is a negative effect. E.g. damage over time.

You can dispel either buffs on the enemey's team or debuffs on your team.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks though I have a few more questions.

Where does the word nerfed come from? And, when do these stats become diminished?

Same questions for buffed - does it mean stats become stronger as level increases? If so, they why would stats diminish, as in nerfed?

Also, I've heard or seen debuff - does that mean a character can diminish another's stats?

Yes.

A "buff' is usually a temporary condition put on a character's stats to enhance or protect them and a "debuff" is the opposite.

A "nerf" is usually a condition where a character's stats (hit points, damage output, Healing ability, etc, has been lowered. -- this is usually done by the developers to provide balance in the game. This is a permanent change.

So although a nerf and a debuff sound similar they are very different.

• Options
    Thank you both - excellent explanations.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    I suspect the term "nerf" in gaming is a reference to the Nerf toy company. They make soft, squishy versions of things that would ordinarily kill you. Like machine guns and bows that shoot foam darts, etc.
    So to "nerf" a character, means they took someone powerful that could've killed you, and made him something that looks dangerous but isn't anymore.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Options
    AoE = Area of Affect. It refers to abilties that affect more than one character. This includes damage skills like Asajj's Endless Wrath as well as support or healing skills like Old Ben's Mind Tricks.

Debuff = (Usually) Temporary status effect that affects a character negatively. This would be things like Defense Down, Offense Down, Expose, etc.

Buff = (Usually) Temporary status effect that affects a character positively. This would be things like Defense Up, Offense Up, Advantage, etc.

Buff can also mean a permenant positive change the Developers make to a character, such as Asajj's "Endless Wrath: base damage increased by approximately 32%" or Sidious' "+35% Dodge against Jedi".

Nerf = permenant negative change the Developers make to a character, such as Barriss' heal being reworked to be half as strong as it used to be.

DPS = Damage per Second. While the "per second" part isn't as relevent to this game, it can be taken to mean per turn. You would classify high damage characters as DPS such as First Order Tie Pilot.

GW / GCW = Galactic (Civil) War, the game mode that unlocks at lvl 40.

Mats = Materials, anything that you collect to gear up a character

Ability Mats = Same thing, but specifically the 3 items used to increase your ability levels.

Race/Tribe = The various catagories for characters, like Empire, Sith, Jedi, Droid, Human, etc. Various abilities reference these and may get stronger when used against / with the appropirate Tribe.

Racial/Tribal Ability = Any ability that requires a Race/Tribe to be present for increase effectiveness. Things like Talia's Nightsister Nimbleness or Jawa's Stun Surprise
  • Options
    All good - thanks everyone!

Also

I see the highest star is 7

What's the highest gear level? Is it 7? Or is it higher? I have one on 7 and it seems to list 8 as another level

What's the highest function - example: talia's healing I have on level 4. What's the max

For the dark and light quests...is it only 5 or is their more?

And are they planning on expanding other things to do? Seems like their isn't enough yet for someone to be really active unless spending some money on crystals etc.
  • Options
    We don't know what the actual max gear level, but with the current restriction most people max at 7 and a few can get to 8.

Skills seem to be similar, most can get to 5 or 6 I believe.

The devs plan on raising the level cap eventually so this will change in time.
  • Options
    Check this site for answers to abilities, stars, and gear lvls:

http://www.swgohcantina.com
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Options
    A 8 gear lvl is possible it is when the rings are purple and are connected by line a 7 gear lvl is when the rings are purple
  • Options
    Can someone tell me what CG means? Thanks, that one confuses the absolute poop out of me
  • Options
    CG -> Capital Games