Ability to turn off Guild Chat for younger players PLEASE :)

2Next

Replies

• Don't be concerned about guild chat. I tried to tell someone to blow on their screen, and it turned blow into ****
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    LEARN to teach your daughter about life instead of finding ways to filter her from reality and some day she will appreciate the difference, even when you will not.

Since the dawn of time a parent's job is to protect their kids. Everybody has different degrees of protection and how they expose their children to the real world, without overwhelming them, is unique to each relationship. While you argue that he should just open up the Internet and let her sink or swim there is plenty of evidence out there that you can protect your kid and still let them grow up ready to deal with real life.

I've got a 6yo that plays this game. He is already reading but still learning basic vocabulary and I'd prefer that he not ask me what certain words he reads on a forum or in a guild chat means. Or even worse. That he asks his mom what it means...

I joined a guild that is kid safe with people I know from other games so I'm not too worried about it. But since this is the first time he can potentially interact I'll at least see what options are out there. Unfortunately he convinced his baby sitter to set up the account originally so I wasn't there to make the initial settings. Now that this has been brought up I'll have to check to see if I can block it but I'm comfortable with it blocked or unblocked.

• Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    So on the one hand we have censorship. On the other hand we have uncomfortable consequences. You can't have it both ways. As a parent its YOUR job to filter, not the game, not other people, not situations, not TV.. YOU. If you are afraid of teaching your daughter about life, its not going to get any easier, and you need to LEARN. Life is about TEACHING not AVOIDING. Apparently no one taught you this as a child.

I have a 6 year old, we watch R rated movies when she isn't in the room, but sometimes she catches a bad word or two, so what? She KNOWS the bad words, she KNOWS what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Bad words are ONLY bad because YOU allow them to be.

People use euphemisms and this is where I go off the deep end. fudge, darn, shoot, crud, dangit, freakin.. Seriously.. What's the difference? The MEANING is still the same you are SAYING a bad word, replacing it with a less used interjection does NOT change the fact or it's meaning.

LEARN to teach your daughter about life instead of finding ways to filter her from reality and some day she will appreciate the difference, even when you will not. The world shouldn't change because of a few exceptions.

You have 2 choices.

Suck it up. Deal with it as it comes.

OR

Don't let her play the game, which is a VERY unrealistic approach you can't protect her or shelter her WHOLE life, eventually she will have to learn on her own. So by filtering you are not giving her a chance to grow up.

Sad reality but that's LIFE, learning it now or when she is 27.. what good is that going to do, except that in the MEAN time she will figure out how to manage it before its too late.

I believe it's less about the language and more about predators.

Predator-Face-1000x515-1456334595.jpg

Which is something you can't really explain to a kid that well. And you shouldn't have to, but unfortunately that's the world we live in.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • My 2 kids play so I set up my own guild. It's pretty slow going & we only get rewards 3 out of 7 days. It'll take about 2 weeks to open a raid but at least they'll get a chance to battle a Rancor!

With their prized 4 star Cad Bane & army of untrained Ewoks they weren't really going to have a chance in a large guild.

if you're ever looking for a small non competitive guild let me know.
  • Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    So on the one hand we have censorship. On the other hand we have uncomfortable consequences. You can't have it both ways. As a parent its YOUR job to filter, not the game, not other people, not situations, not TV.. YOU. If you are afraid of teaching your daughter about life, its not going to get any easier, and you need to LEARN. Life is about TEACHING not AVOIDING. Apparently no one taught you this as a child.

I have a 6 year old, we watch R rated movies when she isn't in the room, but sometimes she catches a bad word or two, so what? She KNOWS the bad words, she KNOWS what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Bad words are ONLY bad because YOU allow them to be.

People use euphemisms and this is where I go off the deep end. fudge, darn, shoot, crud, dangit, freakin.. Seriously.. What's the difference? The MEANING is still the same you are SAYING a bad word, replacing it with a less used interjection does NOT change the fact or it's meaning.

LEARN to teach your daughter about life instead of finding ways to filter her from reality and some day she will appreciate the difference, even when you will not. The world shouldn't change because of a few exceptions.

You have 2 choices.

Suck it up. Deal with it as it comes.

OR

Don't let her play the game, which is a VERY unrealistic approach you can't protect her or shelter her WHOLE life, eventually she will have to learn on her own. So by filtering you are not giving her a chance to grow up.

Sad reality but that's LIFE, learning it now or when she is 27.. what good is that going to do, except that in the MEAN time she will figure out how to manage it before its too late.

I disagree. I let her play. But the choice of back up the account OR filter/turn off guild chat is a faulty one.
  • Thanks for the offer for guilds guys. I am pretty hard core. If it was possible for her to jump on my bandwagon I'd let her. Right now she's level 50. We will see what happens in the future. Who knows, maybe EA will make a change.
  • Seems to me a classic case of foisting one's own responsibilities onto someone else. Hello nanny state. Dear God think of the children.