Galaxy war changed from max arena power to max toon power by patch?

Eric11
33 posts Member
I've been tracking my arena power, my max power, and my opponent power for ~2 months. From the Mar 23 patch onward, the war has been fairly predictable -- opponent power in an increasing curve from around 60% of max arena power to a bit over 100% of max arena power.

I just finished my first run after the patch update, and rather than starting at 60% of my max arena power, the run started at 81% of my max arena power and ran up to 134% of max power by the last node. However, when I recalculated the run against max power (sum of the top 5 characters), I got almost exactly the same curve as I had before. 60% up to 100%.

Is there a bug during the patch that reset max arena power (the guild stat still shows my old max arena power). I also won with that team about 3 hours before the galaxy war restart.

See below for the full data (note the link previews as white for some reason, so I also gave it after the hopefully clickable link as two pieces)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Da6haT9Bb15ikm2XRl6JzgZoFnNtBFLDgRongdoQF-I/edit#gid=1141892594

https: //docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Da6haT9Bb15ikm2XRl6JzgZoFnNtBFLDgRongdoQF-I/edit#gid=1141892594

Replies

• The update brought changes to GW, game mechanics "tweeks" on top of nerfs like the destruction of countering mechanics.

GW yesterday was very different with all along higher dodge and higher tier opponents earlier in game.
  • Eric11
    33 posts Member
    That's not what I'm saying. If you sum up the power of your opponents (long click on them, then do math), the sum of the power used to be proportional to max arena power. After the update it appeared to be proportional to the power of your strongest 5 toons.

I'm trying to figure out if this is likely permanent and hence arena power is now irrelevant or if it was a bug.
  • Wow good job tracking your data and coming up with this very plausible theory. I felt that GW was tougher but had no data to back that up and haven't tried a second time yet.
  • Very interesting! Thanks for the post! I have been keeping my arena power down a bit to control GW difficulty. Could you check back in tomorrow after GW to let us know if the next data point lines up with your theory?
  • Btw, my GW opponents were definitely harder today than yesterday, but I chalked that up to the 7th star I added to dooku yesterday. Could be you're right and I just got caught by coincidence.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    And they did this just in time for raids, expect even more people to not be able to complete GW.
    Only strat is to use your strongest players from the first node.
    Yesterday I was so close to completing, last node only sid left and he killed the last of my A team before I could retreat, no-one could kill him from self heal.
  • It seemed easier to me today. I boosted Bariss to gear 9 and shes my new highest power toon at over 7100, and the matchups seemed as easy as ever.
  • Funny right, gw difficulty improve over time thanks to lvl cap increase however we get same reward over and over.
    the cake is a lie
  • Eric11
    33 posts Member
    strafeSS wrote: »
    Very interesting! Thanks for the post! I have been keeping my arena power down a bit to control GW difficulty. Could you check back in tomorrow after GW to let us know if the next data point lines up with your theory?

See the 4/24 update megathread. It got worse. First two nodes were same power level, so I thought the theory was good. Next 4 nodes were 1500 harder (about 3.5%). Node 7 was 2500 harder (about as hard as node 12 was yesterday). Quit out of frustration; got no theory on how this could happen unless my data is confused with someone else's who is much stronger.
  • The Galactic War system has not changed. We are considering options, and will hopefully have something soon.
  • Galactic war is a frickin' joke now. I just counted hits... they hit 17 times to my 4... they all get shields to start and I'm depleted. Their level 70 obliterates my level 74, but how couldn't they? 17-4? What the hell kind of "tweaks" did you make. Developers are screwing with us. I've said this before... not spending another dime until they get their heads out of their @**** and FIX what they've screwd up! A level 70 team should not be obliterating a level 74 team. ****?!?!
  • The Galactic War system has not changed. We are considering options, and will hopefully have something soon.

Don't hope. Do it. Gw has been an issue for months as have numerous other complaints. Yet instead of fixing existing problems you release poorly executed new content that flat out sucks and are nothing but blatant cash grabs. Stop leading us on and friggin fix gw, the credit crunch, the horrible drop rates, etc. NOW. Otherwise keep hemorrhaging paying players, and keep struggling to keep decent ratings @CG_JohnSalera
  • GW today matches the 134 percent as stated. Their toons do not behave as the same toon on our side. A lumi lead GW squad automatically dodges 60 percent on sixth node. I reran the battle 10 times to test. Ten out of ten times GS missed his first two attacks. Sid dodged 9 of 10 non-Jedi attacks ie percent. Can go on and on. Is what it is.
  • Ditto, toons dodge when they shouldn't (30% chance of dodging is not 9 out of 10 times guys. Consult you local first grade math book.) AI has been out hitting me 17-4. So you give them super protection, 90% dodge and 17-4 hit ratio. Yeah, this is cool. Developers have to be ****. Not one synaptic signal anywhere in the general vicinity of this game. Galactic ****.
  • The dodge is strong
  • Yes dodge is strong.
  • scootle
    237 posts Member
    The Galactic War system has not changed. We are considering options, and will hopefully have something soon.

Perhaps this is the problem... the fact you are still considering options rather than implementing meaningful changes.

If you provide us content worthy of us paying for it, we will pay... it doesn't work the other way around.
    SWGoH Ally Code: 988-869-147 GM of [Elite Casual]
    May the Force be with you.
  • Eric11
    33 posts Member
    scootle wrote: »
    The Galactic War system has not changed. We are considering options, and will hopefully have something soon.

Perhaps this is the problem... the fact you are still considering options rather than implementing meaningful changes.

I suspect they have to figure out what they should change since they don't want to just revert it backwards. I made a suggestion on how I'd fix it on the 4/24 update megathread, but any fix which isn't something like "just remove protection for defenders" is likely to be hard enough, and removing protection would create a different set of issues (offense now is stronger if the player gets protection). Removing protection for both sides also screws up the intended balance.

That said, if the bug that was hitting me (opponents not based on arena power any more, and today it's not even proportional to top 5 toons) is hitting other people, they could see a large increase in difficulty. Most people aren't tracking opponent stats closely enough to know if it's hitting them though. I'm hoping the bug is fixed since I was otherwise enjoying the game.
  • Eric11, how did the math work out today? Aligned with arena power or top 5 power?
  • Eric11 wrote: »
    Very interesting! Thanks for the post! I have been keeping my arena power down a bit to control GW difficulty. Could you check back in tomorrow after GW to let us know if the next data point lines up with your theory?

See the 4/24 update megathread. It got worse. First two nodes were same power level, so I thought the theory was good. Next 4 nodes were 1500 harder (about 3.5%). Node 7 was 2500 harder (about as hard as node 12 was yesterday). Quit out of frustration; got no theory on how this could happen unless my data is confused with someone else's who is much stronger.

Eric11, just saw this. So any upgrades to your arena or top 5 team that could account for this?

• @CG_JohnSalera

Galctic War match making was most certainly changed with the last update. I have opened a support ticket for the issue. I run my lowest power team in Arena specifically to have an easier GW. My max power level is around 13K. I am facing teams of over 18K in the last node now. You can have your developers look at my account with their new tracking tools to verify. Same ign as my forum account. Based on your comments I'm assuming this was unintentional but can you please verify?
  • Eric11
    33 posts Member
    Eric11 wrote: »

Eric11, just saw this. So any upgrades to your arena or top 5 team that could account for this?

Nope; I have no theory of what could have happened. Only major upgrade was Barris 4*->5*, but that's not in my top 5 nor on my Arena team (I use her for GalWar). The upgrade also wasn't anywhere close to 1500 power increase, star upgrades get around 500.
  • Eric11 wrote: »
    Eric11 wrote: »

Nope; I have no theory of what could have happened. Only major upgrade was Barris 4*->5*, but that's not in my top 5 nor on my Arena team (I use her for GalWar). The upgrade also wasn't anywhere close to 1500 power increase, star upgrades get around 500.

Ok, it was user error. I failed to record the strength of the team at node 3, and didn't notice until I got over my rage-quit and made it through to node 11 and noticed I was recording at 10. On closer inspection I worked out that putting the "missing" entry at node 3 made all of the power levels roughly line up. Therefore we're still in the bug of galactic war difficulty being calculated related to max toon power rather than max arena power.