Poe vs. Chewy

Prev1
New-ish player here. I have both Chewy and Poe 3*Star. I'm using them both now but wondering if one is better and is using both of them overkill in a group? thanks. Also, which is better in the LEader position?

Replies

• Options
    Chewie for missions, as Poe will die from his taunts often and keep you from 3-star (and future sim'ing). Chewie is also a better leader. However, a L5+ gear Poe in PVP is great, especially if you combine him with big AOE dmg like Sid, Anakin, or Maul. Like most characters, the "who is better" question depends on the situation. Good luck!
    Seether L53 ally code: 275-434-851
  • Options
    DiscoSlice wrote: »
    New-ish player here. I have both Chewy and Poe 3*Star. I'm using them both now but wondering if one is better and is using both of them overkill in a group? thanks. Also, which is better in the LEader position?

I think Poe is better overall but am not certain which has a better leadership skill, but Chewie is also easier to star up using cantina farming whereas Poe would take longer using cantina shipments so bear that in mind as well.
  • Options
    Chewie isn't popular due to his low damage and 1 turn taunt. He may work for some arena teams though. Saw a pretty good Chewie team once.
  • Options
    Haven't seen good Chewy teams nor Poe teams. Almost everybody above rank 150 are using Fives/Boba/Ben/Phasma. Both Chewy and Poe can do decent job to you until you reach mid 40's or even lave 30's. Their taunt is beatable with ease and I wouldn't recommend them. There are far better options than them which are F2P and easy to farm
  • KTroy24
    241 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Poe is allot better. I have him 5* and level VII gear which far surpasses my chewie. His taunt is 2 rounds and has Expose buff on team which Is a huge boost.

Any tank without taunt is not really a "tank". They are more "support" with AOE perks/blocks/buffs/debuffs ect
    Can't beat POE and aren't willing to change strats to defeat him? Cry nerf lol
  • Options
    KTroy24 wrote: »
    Poe is allot better. I have him 5* and level VII gear which far surpasses my chewie. His taunt is 2 rounds and has Expose buff on team which Is a huge boost.

Any tank without taunt is not really a "tank". They are more "support" with AOE perks/blocks/buffs/debuffs ect

I disagree with you. Tank is character who has plenty of HP. That a character doesn't have a taunt doesn't mean it is not a tank. Old Ben is tank but he doesn't have taunt. Taunt is not very helpful atm. Especially of you are above 40. Boba's spell block or Fives counter are more helpful than a taunt. Yes the taunt is annoying but that's all. These days with sid, kylo lumi and dooku, the taunters are not viable at high lvl. Just think about it - only taunt or some helpful ability with more damage. Taunt is overrated imo. I got DM and Sid and if I see chewy/poe team i bring my mace in - that means the opponent is with 1 char less than I am. QGJ is pretty common in my server as is Plo Koon. The AOE teams don't care bout the taunt. But the problem with aoe team is that they lack a bit of speed - that doesn't mean they are slow, not at all. And you can use this as your advantage. And using a taunt in that case makes you lose a char turn that is so important to you.
  • Options
    DarthVanio wrote: »

I disagree with you. Tank is character who has plenty of HP. That a character doesn't have a taunt doesn't mean it is not a tank. Old Ben is tank but he doesn't have taunt. Taunt is not very helpful atm. Especially of you are above 40. Boba's spell block or Fives counter are more helpful than a taunt. Yes the taunt is annoying but that's all. These days with sid, kylo lumi and dooku, the taunters are not viable at high lvl. Just think about it - only taunt or some helpful ability with more damage. Taunt is overrated imo. I got DM and Sid and if I see chewy/poe team i bring my mace in - that means the opponent is with 1 char less than I am. QGJ is pretty common in my server as is Plo Koon. The AOE teams don't care bout the taunt. But the problem with aoe team is that they lack a bit of speed - that doesn't mean they are slow, not at all. And you can use this as your advantage. And using a taunt in that case makes you lose a char turn that is so important to you.

I think taunt is useful depending on the team composition, specifically Poe as he has the speed to go 2nd or 3rd in a matchup, being able to protect your squishy heroes and also help you get your healer a heal off to remedy the AoE that has been done.
  • Options
    I have Poe and Chewy at 4* and purple gear. Poe is much better in Arena play. He has much better speed so he's able to get his taunt off early enough that he'll do a better job protecting sid/lumi/etc. who are normally targets for human players in the first round. Also his expose combined with a slower AOE char (Maul/Boba/Phasma) can dent the HP pool of the enemy pretty good. Poe dies by the second round more often than not but he holds the attention of the enemy long enough for me to usually knock two of their best chars out.

Chewy is on my A team in galatic war. His taunt is effective enough in GW and he can self-heal which is much more valuable in GW. In Arena he's very easy to work around and rarely effects a battle.
  • MasterTamias
    74 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have Chewie in 6 stars and I am the only one using him in top 10 of my server. Chewie acts as a health reserve for my team and he is rarely killed in his taunted turn. That being said, Chewie works seamlessly with barriss who also has many hp because their health can be equalized to all your glass cannons when needed. The typical scenario in arena is that the opponents severely injured -if not dead already- your glass cannons in the first turn, then chewie taunts, barriss equalizes, chewie self heals. Then you have undergone the hardest part of the match.
    However, if you don't have barriss, I won't hesitate a second to swap Chewie out.
  • Options
    I have Chewie in 6 stars and I am the only one using him in top 10 of my server. Chewie acts as a health reserve for my team and he is rarely killed in his taunted turn. That being said, Chewie works seamlessly with barriss who also has many hp because their health can be equalized to all your glass cannons when needed. The typical scenario in arena is that the opponents severely injured -if not dead already- your glass cannons in the first turn, then chewie taunts, barriss equalizes, chewie self heals. Then you have undergone the hardest part of the match.
    However, if you don't have barriss, I won't hesitate a second to swap Chewie out.

But considering that both Chewie and Barriss are both slow toons compared to most DPS, how do you survive the initial onslaught sure after you taunt you probably can soak the damage but do you not lose an initial toon with the opening of your opponent or do you simply not run any glass cannons?

• Options
    I agree with the posts above. But the problem is that the AOE teams are thing in the game and your team can be crushed inspite of taunt. Even if you are not dead, you will need 1-2 turns only to recover.
  • Options
    I agree with the posts above. But the problem is that the AOE teams are thing in the game and your team can be crushed inspite of taunt. Even if you are not dead, you will need 1-2 turns only to recover.

Which is why you have to have a 2-turn taunt. Chewy is worthless against AOE but Poe (and Han) still has his taunt active after the AOE onslaught. Assuming any of your toons are still alive they'll help keep them alive.
  • Options

But how many AoE teams are there tbh, I see Sid almost always and Kylo every 3rd battle and Vader just sometimes and none of those AoEs do damage in the first turn or so and can be easily healed, leaving you to focus and pile on any toon to your heart's liking.
  • SaVaGeTnK
    108 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was looking into this last night checking Poe's stats against Chewie and Fives. Chewie is good in terms of sacrificing him when you need to heal by using his taunt. He can live in most situations so sacrificing is an overstatement. Thing is that Chewie is a good bet EARLY in the game for pvp. Also as people develop their gear in toons your Chewie will trail behind heavily in speed and attack. He's not even worth upgrading past gear level 6 beacuse of how much resources he needs, his attack is real low and doesn't had good buffs/debuffs.

Poe in the other hand has the speed to attack early and more often in PvP, slightly better attack and great health. Not an easy character also to upgrade to purple gear. He has debuffs contrary to Chewie but is not a character that synergized well with the current toons you will be using.

That get you down to Fives. Best HP after Barriss and the best Armor rating in the game. He's slower than Poe but he's real tanky. Also with his special he will get attack help so thats 2 attacks on 1 of his turns and has 25% counter. He's also another character that won't synergize much but he does a lot.

Right now im developing Poe. On paper Fives sounds like the right choice but I see him more of a defensive playing toon with his high hp/armor and slow speed and counter. While Poe although less tanky makes room to get more damage early.

It's all down to preference
  • Options
    Heronmar wrote: »

But considering that both Chewie and Barriss are both slow toons compared to most DPS, how do you survive the initial onslaught sure after you taunt you probably can soak the damage but do you not lose an initial toon with the opening of your opponent or do you simply not run any glass cannons?
    Yes that's exactly why this game is fun because no team wins every match. It has to be some sacrifices between tankier characters (but not really a tank) and glass cannons with awesome bursty power and of course tankier characters tend to do lesser damage. So it's really a problem of balancing but I find it working quite well as there's so few encounters in arena with high star leia or FOTP or some sorts.
  • Options
    SaVaGeTnK wrote: »
    Poe in the other hand has the speed to attack early and more often in PvP, slightly better attack and great health. Not an easy character also to upgrade to purple gear.

FYI while he takes a lot (3 purples that require 20+ purples to craft) to get to 7 his upgrades at 7 are pretty tame. Much less time/resources to get the rest of his 7 closed out than it was to upgrade to 7. Only one that requires ~20 purples to craft. Also he only has one slot that requires >60 so he can have 5 of 6 filled at gear 7. And his level 7 gear is very helpful as it gives ~1k hp and 9 speed plus more potency and tenacity.

• Options
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    FYI while he takes a lot (3 purples that require 20+ purples to craft) to get to 7 his upgrades at 7 are pretty tame. Much less time/resources to get the rest of his 7 closed out than it was to upgrade to 7. Only one that requires ~20 purples to craft. Also he only has one slot that requires >60 so he can have 5 of 6 filled at gear 7. And his level 7 gear is very helpful as it gives ~1k hp and 9 speed plus more potency and tenacity.

Thanks for the head up. I expected something like that since I saw a character like that already. A pain to get to purple but the next gear level was a breeze.

Whats your exeperience while using him? Fives a better overall choice?
  • Options
    SaVaGeTnK wrote: »
    I was looking into this last night checking Poe's stats against Chewie and Fives. Chewie is good in terms of sacrificing him when you need to heal by using his taunt. He can live in most situations so sacrificing is an overstatement. Thing is that Chewie is a good bet EARLY in the game for pvp. Also as people develop their gear in toons your Chewie will trail behind heavily in speed and attack. He's not even worth upgrading past gear level 6 beacuse of how much resources he needs, his attack is real low and doesn't had good buffs/debuffs.

Poe in the other hand has the speed to attack early and more often in PvP, slightly better attack and great health. Not an easy character also to upgrade to purple gear. He has debuffs contrary to Chewie but is not a character that synergized well with the current toons you will be using.

That get you down to Fives. Best HP after Barriss and the best Armor rating in the game. He's slower than Poe but he's real tanky. Also with his special he will get attack help so thats 2 attacks on 1 of his turns and has 25% counter. He's also another character that won't synergize much but he does a lot.

Right now im developing Poe. On paper Fives sounds like the right choice but I see him more of a defensive playing toon with his high hp/armor and slow speed and counter. While Poe although less tanky makes room to get more damage early.

It's all down to preference

Agree with you. I like Fives a lot and yet i am going for Boba. After little research i found that at lvl his spell block can proc pretty often without being resisted. I think that Fives can do slightly better job than Boba, but his spell block is pretty valuable, especially if you don''t have Ben. But Boba is slow so the other team will make their turn before him, but never than less he is pretty decent for top tier teams. I am sad because the last two days my rank dropped to mid 20's and i've found that the reason is i don't have char which can provide some good utility, different than the top chars atm. Due to lack of Dooku in my squad I had to farm Boba, cuz let's not kid ourselves - he provides. This is the reason why i like Boba for my team and why i don't like taunts. But the choice is individual - go with whatever you like. Here you can find some opinions and nothing more. It is up to you what are you going to do. If you do something that is different, that doesn't mean it is wrong. I found for myself that when you hit 40's, taunts are going to be useless.Hope you are not mad at me cuz i don't like them and i don't want to put my opinion at the top. I am happy to share thoughts both this lovely game.
  • Options
    Agree with you. I like Fives a lot and yet i am going for Boba. After little research i found that at lvl his spell block can proc pretty often without being resisted. I think that Fives can do slightly better job than Boba, but his spell block is pretty valuable, especially if you don''t have Ben. But Boba is slow so the other team will make their turn before him, but never than less he is pretty decent for top tier teams. I am sad because the last two days my rank dropped to mid 20's and i've found that the reason is i don't have char which can provide some good utility, different than the top chars atm. Due to lack of Dooku in my squad I had to farm Boba, cuz let's not kid ourselves - he provides. This is the reason why i like Boba for my team and why i don't like taunts. But the choice is individual - go with whatever you like. Here you can find some opinions and nothing more. It is up to you what are you going to do. If you do something that is different, that doesn't mean it is wrong. I found for myself that when you hit 40's, taunts are going to be useless.Hope you are not mad at me cuz i don't like them and i don't want to put my opinion at the top. I am happy to share thoughts both this lovely game.

I skipped Boba due to speed but he is tanky regardless of what people say about taunts. He also has high armor penetration. I posted in another thread that maybe he needs some tweaks on his special attack rating or synergy with teams but he's not bad. Taunts serve a purpose of giving you some breathing room to heal or to give some extra attacks to your lower hp toons. AoE attacks nullify this so it's a gamble sometimes. Taunts are good for PvE. In PvP you play against the clock and your oponents build. But hey...there's no perfect team. If you do something that is different it's probably you will find something that works before other people :)
  • Options
    Poe is one of the best tanks in arena. Especially if you play a fast, high damage, glass cannon team. He has 138 speed maxed out so he gets his taunt off very early. Usually in enough time to protect your weakest teammates. He also does the expose which is amazing to help your team get the first couple kills. Another thing often over looked since sid leader is so popular now every time sid hits poe, poe heals him self from resisting the heal debuff so that is like 50% damage reduction.
  • Options
    Haven't seen good Chewy teams nor Poe teams. Almost everybody above rank 150 are using Fives/Boba/Ben/Phasma. Both Chewy and Poe can do decent job to you until you reach mid 40's or even lave 30's. Their taunt is beatable with ease and I wouldn't recommend them. There are far better options than them which are F2P and easy to farm

my #1 Arena team consists of: Sid (L), Lum, Ben, Luke, Poe
  • Options
    What exactly does expose do?
  • Options
    And on the leader ability when it says allies does it strictly mean allies that you borrow from other players on your ally list or does it mean other chars in your squad. For example, talias leader ability says 10% evasion for night sister "allies" so would that only come into effect for a borrowed ally character?
  • Options

I don't know of a game where the roll of a tank wasn't to keep agro, take a beating, and not die.
  • Options
    Han is better lol. He's like the team speed booster once he taunts (after you level up his stuff). Poe is amazing and I use him in arena everyday to keep my tie pilot alive and my healers.

Prior to poe being free I used chewie and he's very good too but poe hands down.
  • Options
    So is it ok to invest in upgrading both Poe and Chewy? F2P here so dont have many alternatives. Seems like you guys are saying use Poe in Leader ability for PvP, and Chewy in Leader for PvE ?
  • Options
    So is it ok to invest in upgrading both Poe and Chewy? F2P here so dont have many alternatives. Seems like you guys are saying use Poe in Leader ability for PvP, and Chewy in Leader for PvE ?

Investing in both seems overkill choose one and stick with it, Chewie is better early on but limited use afterwards.
  • Options
    Is it bad to have 2 tanks at once then?
  • Options
    Is it bad to have 2 tanks at once then?

Yes if you have better options, if that's what you got then it is not bad.
  • DiscoSlice
    275 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ok can u advise with this roster?

Right now I have:
    4* Chewy - Gear 4
    3* Jawa - Gear 3
    3* Poe - Gear 4
    3* Talia - Gear 4
    3* Ashoka - Gear 2
    2* Consular - Gear 4
    2* Resistance Trooper - Gear 3
    (don't use these guys much, all level 22ish) - dont do too many dark side missions yet.
    1* Snowtrooper - Gear 2
    2* 1St Order Stromtrooper - Gear 2
    2* Royal Guard - Gear 2

Working on Sid and Fives now. who should i be using for PvE and PvP? I thought Poe might be good since he matches with Resistance Trooper. I dont have much AoE - just Jawa. ty.