Points to consider in making a good defense team...

Ohkay i've been in the number one spot quite often now. But when i go to sleep, i see myself fighting my way back between 13 to 26 back to 1.
It's obvious there are a few thousand players that can reach #1 but theres no compendium to creating that "perfect defense team"

So i want to make a list of bullet points that need to be considered and my reasoning behind it. Any and all input will be appreciated. If theres good points to add, ill add it to the main post. So here we go!

Things to consider in defending in PVP
- The AI is completely dumb. Sure we can cry about dumb AI, but why not use that to our advantage?
- A team with more than ONE healer have a high chance of misfiring, ALOT. This comes to fruition especially if you focus fire one enemy and have that enemy under Healing block. To combat this, pick ONE really good healer
- The AI does not focus on one target. You think your ally is gonna die with the next swing, but the enemy team attacks your TANK instead. Best way to combat this is to have large number of AOE skills.
- The AI wants to fire skills as fast as possible Since the AI has no idea of timing, think about how to battle timing. Ability/Heal blocks help but i love the stun option myself. The only flaw i see with stuns, is that the CD counter isn't affected. Sooo..... Ability/stun?
- More HP the better? More hp means more passes for the AI to mess up and not have it screw up your team

I know there are other things to consider, but thats where you come in.
AFAIK a good defense team consists of High HP, Control abilities, 1 healer.
Anyone want to add/dispute any of this please do. This will pretty much help all of us in the end,.

Replies

• Ranivoos wrote: »
    Ohkay i've been in the number one spot quite often now. But when i go to sleep, i see myself fighting my way back between 13 to 26 back to 1.
    It's obvious there are a few thousand players that can reach #1 but theres no compendium to creating that "perfect defense team"

So i want to make a list of bullet points that need to be considered and my reasoning behind it. Any and all input will be appreciated. If theres good points to add, ill add it to the main post. So here we go!

- The AI is completely dumb. Sure we can cry about dumb AI, but why not use that to our advantage?
    - A team with more than ONE healer have a high chance of misfiring, ALOT. This comes to fruition especially if you focus fire one enemy and have that enemy under Healing block. To combat this, pick ONE really good healer
    - The AI does not focus on one target. You think your ally is gonna die with the next swing, but the enemy team attacks your TANK instead. Best way to combat this is to have large number of AOE skills.
    - The AI wants to fire skills as fast as possible Since the AI has no idea of timing, think about how to battle timing. Ability/Heal blocks help but i love the stun option myself. The only flaw i see with stuns, is that the CD counter isn't affected. Sooo..... Ability/stun?
    - More HP the better? More hp means more passes for the AI to mess up and not have it screw up your team

Anyone want to add/dispute any of this please do. This will pretty much help all of us in the end,.

A hero I believe that is equally good in defense and offense is Poggle, AI simply can't botch him as he will use the buff, his basic's are pretty meaningless so he's just there for the buff.

Another one is Kylo, use AoE attack and use AoE again.

As a healer Barriss is the choice as her health equalisation does not care whether the target is heal immune.

This leaves you with a DPS and a 'tanky' guy. I'd go with Poe since he can survive the 2-round taunt with Barriss being there. And lastly for the DPS pretty much anyone should work. So the best AI team I'd imagine is something like,

Barriss(lead), Kylo, Poe, Poggle and a DPS.
  • Great post. On related note I would like to see the AI improved. I.e. Focused low health targets and not healing while inflicted with anti healing debuff.
  • Heronmar wrote: »
    Ranivoos wrote: »

A hero I believe that is equally good in defense and offense is Poggle, AI simply can't botch him as he will use the buff, his basic's are pretty meaningless so he's just there for the buff.

As a healer Barriss is the choice as her health equalisation does not care whether the target is heal immune.

This leaves you with a DPS and a 'tanky' guy. I'd go with Poe since he can survive the 2-round taunt with Barriss being there. And lastly for the DPS pretty much anyone should work. So the best AI team I'd imagine is something like,

I have Poe but not 7 level gear yet. Doesn't he need to be at least 6 or 7 level gear so he won't die so fast? What about Finn? He has good damage.

Known as íN Quartus Ω in the game
    Member of Team Instinct
  • MufasaBigD wrote: »
    Heronmar wrote: »

I have Poe but not 7 level gear yet. Doesn't he need to be at least 6 or 7 level gear so he won't die so fast? What about Finn? He has good damage.

I don't have him and the info on SWGoH cantina seems pretty skewed at best, so if you believe he packs a punch you might try running him. To be honest, any DPS should work as DPS is the easiest role for AI.
  • Ranivoos wrote: »
    AI being dumb is obviously done on purpose. This give other players a chance (usually the top spenders) to dropped your rank.

EA can easily fix this by letting you set up your offline defense, such as setting up focus fire mode, target priority etc.
  • Jsnazz wrote: »
    AI being dumb is obviously done on purpose. This give other players a chance (usually the top spenders) to dropped your rank.

EA can easily fix this by letting you set up your offline defense, such as setting up focus fire mode, target priority etc.

Easily? Not even close. The defense team setting might be easy but target priority, focus fire? Those are tough and would also make the LS/DS/GW/Cantina battles harder as well.
  • Heronmar wrote: »
    Jsnazz wrote: »

Easily? Not even close. The defense team setting might be easy but target priority, focus fire? Those are tough and would also make the LS/DS/GW/Cantina battles harder as well.
    We're talking about arena.

PvE will always be easy ; )

• Jsnazz wrote: »
    Jsnazz wrote: »

We're talking about arena.

PvE will always be easy ; )

Don't know about that Dark 6B/C seem hard without any 'buff/fix' to AI.
  • Leaky
    29 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    The AI is very predictable this makes it easy to exploit on offense but it can also be used to make a good defensive team. The best thing you can do is build a team where the moves selected by the AI will be the same as what you would select, then the only difference will be target selection. I'm not willing to give away my thoughts on the exact team that I think will do this well but I believe it can be done.
  • I actually use obi instead of Barris in my arena set up, only because if you kill him early he will screw you up, so you gotta keep using your ability blocks on him.but keep him alive early game, only problem is that I run a high aoe set up lol with sid and kylo so lots of healing block, and vader for massive damage over time, along with count, so you gotta also seal abilities on kylo too of you wish to use aoes and not get hammered by 2 hard counter hits, I did have Barris in my set up, but people seem to lose a lol more against me with my current set up, as it is also easy to face the AI (unless you got a full 7* critical team with princess leia and a tie pilot...and quigon Oh God that team lol I was butt hurt) I also faced another good AI team, although I don't have the characters needed, it consisted of a 7* ig 88, poggle, sid (lead), vader I think, and lumi

Apparently I'm the only one leveling Poe. :) He's got almost 10k hp at lvl58/4*/max gear. He takes a lot of purple to get from lvl6 gear to lvl7 gear but that and the 4th * make him very viable. I'm going to have him 5*'d by next week where he'll probably stay. That plus level 60 should give him around 11k hp which is more than enough for his role of soaking up damage for a full round.

I have borrowed Finn and he's fun to play with but I don't think he's going to be and end-game char. He seems to hit harder than any other tank except maybe Boba but he doesn't have AOE or a Taunt so I don't see much value in going after him. Someone will probably figure out a way to use him tho.

I have Poe 6* almost 7* with max gears.. He's pretty good.. And love his expose skill
    Working on Finn atm.. Getting close to 6*., still not **** enough.. But I'm quite sure in the right setup he can b quite decent