Request for the sake of guild harmony: please make Yoda's foresight based on overall raid status

Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited May 2016
As a guild leader I am noticing a serious group dynamic problem related to Yoda. When you use him in the first half of any phase he's a god, getting foresight at will and being able to protect the entire team. In the bottom half of any phase he can't get foresight at will and becomes a mere mortal again.
Everyone is competitive and this naturally leads to people who have Yoda (and more get him every time he comes back) to try to fight always in the top half of a phase, and then sit around in the bottom of a phase. It also means some people have no chance to use him in "god mode" because of their schedules while others always do.
My request is a simple one: in the raid, please make his foresight work based on whether the entire raid is more or less than 50% done. This does leave 1 transition point, but it is better than 3.
Thank you.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Nooooo

Yoda teams in first halfs of phases will be critical to beat heroic. Especially phase 4 with no switch. Don't take away that advantage for what's basicly a management issue.

If you are going to do something eliminate his 50% requirement for raids.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    You could have all 50 fight at 100% rancor, do 2% each and beat the phase without him ever dropping below 50%
  • Hendiju
    370 posts Member
    Barrok wrote: »
    You could have all 50 fight at 100% rancor, do 2% each and beat the phase without him ever dropping below 50%

That's quite difficult as everyone is in a different timezone. Not everyone has Yoda, and not every battle you do will workout. If you retreat and 30 others completed, it's now at 40%.
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Haplo
    183 posts Member
    Why would you break a perfectly good toon to get an advantage in one part of the game? He is fine against any other enemy that is not immune against stun.
  • @qeltar This is hilarious coming from you. A reminder of your advice when people were complaining about guild timezone issues/unfairness the other day:

'The key is to get into a guild with good PEOPLE, and not just good players.
    The problem is that so many people are in guilds with strangers who do not care about them and just want to exploit them.'
  • Now I'm not in a guild, so I'm ignorant there, but Yoda is awful in arena, gw, farming, everywhere. His being at 7* is the equivalent of any 4*. He sucks, his buffs do nothing and he dies in two hits. If he works for guild events, good. Maybe CG can fix that make it to where they benefit teamwork instead of greed.
  • Starjumper
    993 posts Member
    @Qeltar
    Thing is yoda isn't the only toon with abilities that operate differently above/below 50% health and if I'm understanding you correctly it wouldn't be fair to just change yoda therefore the impact on the other toons it would impact would also need to be reviewed. Think there's a few others
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    'The key is to get into a guild with good PEOPLE, and not just good players.
    The problem is that so many people are in guilds with strangers who do not care about them and just want to exploit them.'

This piece here is the key to it all everyone and I am happy to see it mentioned @thecuriousocelot, thanks for that. The best part of this game for me is my guild, all great people, all kind, sharing of ideas, not fighting each other, true harmony. I hope you all get so lucky!!!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Haplo wrote: »
    Why would you break a perfectly good toon to get an advantage in one part of the game? He is fine against any other enemy that is not immune against stun.

I'm not trying to break anything. I'm aiming for fairness.
    @thecuriousocelot -- I stand by that. And I AM in a good guild, and we are going to impose limits to deal with this issue. But that's not an option for many. And I still do think the time zone issues need to be addressed too.
    People are naturally competitive. Even good people. There are group dynamics, all it takes is one person to have a good run and everyone piles on. It's not always intentional.
    Of course, this wouldn't be such an issue at all if we didn't have such disparity in rewards.
  • IronWolfw
    127 posts Member
    Disclaimer: I am not a guild leader and have no intention of ever being one.
    TL;DR: The way rewards are determined for raids is bad.
    I believe this is one facet of a larger issue. In addition to the over 50%/under 50% dichotomy there are large differences in the amount of damage possible between Phase 1 (Guards), Phases 2/3 and Phase 4(with the Rancor's speed up/cooldown reduction). As an example, I have never been able to do more then 200k on the guard phase in Tier 6. However, on P2/3 with Rancor above 50% I can easily pass the 400k mark. Similarly on the last phase I can't seem to break 200k.
    The above simply demonstrates the huge gaps in possible damage for the different phases/situations. This is important because EA/CG made the decision to directly tie the quality of each members rewards to their damage done. Simple human nature will tempt people to game the system by attacking only at those times which are beneficial to them (i.e. High damage phases) and avoiding attacking when their damage output will be lowered.
    In my particular guild I trust that we are willing to resist this temptation and simply attack when we are able to do so. However, even if you eliminate intentional manipulation of the system the fact remains that the timing of your attack has vastly more impact on your damage done then any particular skill on the part of the player.
    As I see it there are three broad options for addressing this issue.
    Option 1: Change the raid to equalize the possible damage across all of the situations I mentioned above. This would be a broader version of what the OP is asking for and is a possible though extremely complicated solution. Especially if you are going to address all the high variance situations and not just the one mentioned by the OP.
    Option 2: Use a different metric to determine the reward distribution. This seems like a good idea however I personally have been unable to come up with a useful metric. If you go by number of attacks then you're favoring those with larger rosters not to mention you'll end up with a lot of tied scores. Time spent on attacks again is highly variable at the same points as damage done. I would love to hear other's suggestion as to what would be a relatively fair metric to use for this option.
    Option 3: Do away with the tiered reward system. All of my other raid experience comes from MMORPGs, in those sorts of environments there is 1 set of loot available upon completion. I believe that SW:GoH would benefit from having one possible reward chest for each tier. If we want to keep the current set up where there are 3 people who get extra rewards then they should either be decided randomly or (if you want it to be more like an MMORPG raid) by the Guild Leader/Officers.
    Regardless of how it is addressed I sincerely hope that EA/CG does take a look at this issue. Some friendly rivalry within a guild is a good thing (the guild activities for example). However, a design (like this) that rewards selfish behavior is not a good thing for the game and should be addressed.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Haplo wrote: »

I'm not trying to break anything. I'm aiming for fairness.
    @thecuriousocelot -- I stand by that. And I AM in a good guild, and we are going to impose limits to deal with this issue. But that's not an option for many. And I still do think the time zone issues need to be addressed too.
    People are naturally competitive. Even good people. There are group dynamics, all it takes is one person to have a good run and everyone piles on. It's not always intentional.
    Of course, this wouldn't be such an issue at all if we didn't have such disparity in rewards.

Fair enough, I agree. You said something rather different the other day, though...
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    @Qeltar You have to tell me how you use Yoda because he isn't a god when i use him! :smile:
  • Perhaps if the Rancor had a coding that made it "seem like it has 50%+ life" for those kind of attacks?
    I guess then characters that do something when life is 50% or less would suffer.
    Maybe if they threw in little "pit animals" that were easy to kill, respawned, and didn't attack (like the challenge droids but way weaker), but were there so your players could try to get buffs (from enemy kills or % of life attributes like Yoda.) Would be nice to get some buffs since the Rancor can yell often and strip them anyhow - 1st tier guard is a different story how to handle that.

I agree, with it being competitive for the prizes, and time zones not lining up - I tried to not attack the Rancor to let others have a chance but the timing is so off that I come back and it is back to a less than desirable status (has been attacked enough to be in the same situation you were trying to not play during) or check in and it is a perfect time to hit it but not the best time for me to play.
    The "I just want to get this done because I don't have time to coordinate with 50 people in different zones" versus "I should hold off and think of my guild mates."

Although, the only time I got a good drop (one of the new x/50 pre-craft additions) when I was got my lowest ranking on the raid (8th). So even if you do better, the drop prizes are randomly thrown at you.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Hendiju wrote: »

That's quite difficult as everyone is in a different timezone. Not everyone has Yoda, and not every battle you do will workout. If you retreat and 30 others completed, it's now at 40%.

Yoda is not key to any of the phases. Sure he can be helpful but so can many other toons. Setting up guild limits for Yoda seems unnecessary.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    We just attack the door panel for the Foresight after 50%
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Naecabon wrote: »

And after the door panel drops below 50%? Or do you retreat after that which would make the most sense
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • 'The key is to get into a guild with good PEOPLE, and not just good players.

This piece here is the key to it all everyone and I am happy to see it mentioned @thecuriousocelot, thanks for that. The best part of this game for me is my guild, all great people, all kind, sharing of ideas, not fighting each other, true harmony. I hope you all get so lucky!!!

Not me I'
    m a complete selfish SOB man,lol.
  • Naecabon wrote: »

Door pannel does work. I did that, but then Yoda became a Rancor snack before he could share the wealth,lol.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member

Door pannel does work. I did that, but then Yoda became a Rancor snack before he could share the wealth,lol.

That just happens sometimes ;) rancor had to eat!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited May 2016

I'm doing that right now. But it's a far cry from what you can do when he is full.
    No, Yoda is not essential, obviously. But having him able to do the foresight trick makes a substantial difference in effectiveness, at least to me.
    BTW, ever find if you spread foresight he roars first but if you don't he slams first? Maybe they actually worked on the AI for this dude. :)
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Qeltar wrote: »

I'm doing that right now. But it's a far cry from what you can do when he is full.
    No, Yoda is not essential, obviously. But having him able to do the foresight trick makes a substantial difference in effectiveness, at least to me.
    BTW, ever find if you spread foresight he roars first but if you don't he slams first? Maybe they actually worked on the AI for this dude. :)

If he sees a buff, he roars. If he doesn't he slams. Use it to your advantage. For example, if you have poggle and a taunter, don't use both and then get it roared away. Use the taunt, get the roar, then use poggle. Then get rancor aoe slammed into oblivion ;)
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    If he sees a buff, he roars. If he doesn't he slams. Use it to your advantage. For example, if you have poggle and a taunter, don't use both and then get it roared away. Use the taunt, get the roar, then use poggle. Then get rancor aoe slammed into oblivion ;)
    Sometimes this is true. Sometimes not. It's not true right now for whatever reason. He always slams unless I foresight everyone, then he roars and slams.
    I've tried small buffs and big buffs. Even with Yoda and Rey having foresight, everyone having offense up AND defense up, he slams first and then roars (wrecking RG's taunt from the slam). If everyone has foresight, he roars first.
    Even Han's taunt doesn't help. He just removes it, then kills everyone.
    I can put up a video if you like.
  • Alexone wrote: »
    @Qeltar You have to tell me how you use Yoda because he isn't a god when i use him! :smile:

Did you really think he'd help you out lol?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Alexone wrote: »

Did you really think he'd help you out lol?

Yeah, it's not like I ever take 20 minutes out of my day to post detailed help information for people around here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/381790/#Comment_381790
    At some point I'm going to do a writeup on raid strategies. I mean, I won't, because I never do that, sorry.
  • CPTRogers
    107 posts Member
    Qeltar wrote: »
    At some point I'm going to do a writeup on raid strategies. I mean, I won't, because I never do that, sorry.

Hope you do, Qeltar, if you haven't already. *goes to check*
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    When it comes to the rancor phases anyway Yoda rarely gets to give the entire team foresight because of the rancor's AoEs.
  • Taramel
    601 posts Member
    this post seems to be stuck in my drafts... can't get rid of it.. boo