If you need more than 5 characters to finish GW then play your backups first

Let's say you usually use 15 characters* to get through GW...on Nodes 1 and 2 you therefore need to use 10 characters to give them Turn Meter, then put them back on the bench.

Node 1: Use C team then bench
Node 2: Use B team then bench
Node 3: A team
Nodes 4 - ? : A team, until you need to bring in the B or C team

(This has the side benefit of saving your A team some Protection, but that's not new information.)

In any strategy/tactics game when given the option to go first and more often, you choose that option.

More TM means more going first and means more actions than the enemy, which means more damage, taking out their characters sooner, which means less damage taken. More actions also means more healing off cooldown.

Anyone who has to use 15+ characters to get through GW should not WANT to be in that position. They should be hoping someday to level/star/gear a GW team of 5 that can do the whole GW more or less by themselves.

"But I have my turn order all set up the way I like it"

Under the current system, you will basically always have more Turn Meter than the enemy to start every match, and that's what you should want.

Also--long term thinking here--you may not always run the same team in GW, and no matter who you run you will always want to go sooner and more often.
The game mechanics change, characters get added, characters change, levels uncap, abilities Omega, players develop and realize "Why am I using this guy, he's not that great--or this other guy would be better?" It happens to all of us.

* Not counting suicide squads, it doesn't matter if they have TM.

Replies

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Using weak teams on early nodes is bad strategy.
  • That was insightful. Noted.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    For clarification, they are more effective as hit squads in late nodes.
    Dont waste them on guys you know you can beat already.
  • Use the right squad for which ever opponents you face.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    I use the same squad all the way through, mostly (I swap gs for JC for extra healing on later nodes)

Just farm a full gw team and it's easy peasy. Bariss lumi qgj Rey gs with a splash of JC. Done and done

• wrilley
    390 posts Member
    Toukai wrote: »
    I use the same squad all the way through, mostly (I swap gs for JC for extra healing on later nodes)

Just farm a full gw team and it's easy peasy. Bariss lumi qgj Rey gs with a splash of JC. Done and done

Exactly what I do, takes me less than 30 minutes. I use a suicide squad (not a B-team) about once every other GW, but otherwise don't lose toons.
  • Old_Tallen
    385 posts Member
    wrilley wrote: »
    Toukai wrote: »

Exactly what I do, takes me less than 30 minutes. I use a suicide squad (not a B-team) about once every other GW, but otherwise don't lose toons.

Same here.

Generally I can run through with

Barris
    Qui Gon
    Lumi
    Dooku
    Rey

Occasionally I sub in my droid team for the kill nodes against high DPS teams, but usually my a team can handle this easily enough.

Generally I only lose toons when I put out oddball teams te break the monotony.

However, I agree that putting out cannon fodder teams for no reason is a terrible strategy, these spare toons are great to use against harder nodes if you have a limited roster to take the initial hit and let your a team mop up.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    I always start with my best and use the others when needed. If some or all of them die weakening a pain in the **** team it's ok. Haven't lost a GW in weeks.
  • I know, but since my a team is almost all dps, the other teams take super slow to beat the same node. In the middle of some npdes, i get frustrated by the speed, so i retreat and just take my A team and fight it instead. However, i do chuck my b and c teams on the final node to war the enemy don before my Dps comes in and wrecks everybody.
  • BaksoKikil
    129 posts Member
    Totally wrong. Use your A team always, and your other toons as the suicide squad. It works the best.
  • My A team is Phasma (L), Lumi, JC, GS, 86, all 7* G8 (GS is G9) and Max level (currently 77). Usually I can play through the first 4 or 5 nodes and still have some Protection left. After that, if I start running into trouble and swapping team order doesn't help, I'll bring in RG for Phasma to take some heat and put Lumi at lead. If that doesn't work, I'll throw a mid-to-high-level kamikaze squad at them to bring down either the easiest or the most dangerous toon (as the latter isn't always feasible) and any others if possible, or a low-level suicide squad to trigger the nastier abilities. Most days I don't need more than one or two of the expendable squads (usually on nodes in the 8-11 area), and RG barely loses his Protection. Other days it's a grind. But I've lost only one GW (on an extremely flukey wipe of my A team) since I won my first one.

I think the main problem people have with GW is that they start out initially building an Arena team, and then use that for GW. Arena teams usually suck in GW. The strategies are just too different. In Arena, you just kill all the other guy's toons before he kills yours. DPS and expendable tanks rule. In GW, the goal is to leave the match in as close to pristine condition as possible, both in health and in cooldowns. DPS is nice, but only if you can manage to keep them alive, and ideally, no one is expendable. If Arena is a sprint, GW is a marathon. Healing is priority number one most of the time, and especially should be the primary concern toward the end of the match, when winning with your two healers on cooldown can end up crippling you for the next match, even with a fully healed team. The GW team should be built first, and used to fund and supply the Arena team.
  • I don't use my best team in GW, that team is set up to win one fight, which isn't the goal in GW.

I use Bariss (L), Yoda, Dooku, Rey, Daka/Lumi

Battle meditation keeps all those spammed AOE's at the start of fight from sticking, Bariss keeps people's HP up through her leadership skill, and attacks. Rey takes out the biggest threat on each team early, after Daka or Dooku stun them.

If I run into a really hard fight, then I role out my Arena team to win that one fight because that's what they're set up for. Then I go back to the previous lineup.

Ever since the turn meter change though I've been able to role through GW with just the first team, haven't lost a toon since the update.
  • That's a really good tip, cheers!
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    OMG when does timitock ever say anything positive or agrees with anyone.

Back to the op now with the new turn meter update this is a really good strategy for those that struggle to get past GW. Your weaker toons get turn meter that way when you need to bring them in to finish a job of they will go first and do the job they are needed for. Great advice man