Bullying the Arena Standings with Guild Members

Just wondering if this was something that would be addressed by changing the way #1 payout works?

Essentially, people that are in the same guild and have different payout times can help each other by bullying potential 'enemies' from the #1 spot... the possibilities include:
- locking out the competition for 5 minutes with a guild mate who doesnt have the same payout time;
- ... and with more guild members on the same shard, potentially lock out the competition for even more than 5 minutes;
- fighting #1 with a stronger guild member and then changing the team comp to let a weaker guild member get #1;
- bullying in general; target specific players and never let that specific player get a good spot during their payout

Having a guild chat obviously has their benefits but it also facilitates a guild that wants to adopt a bullying mentality... i know that PvP is an all out war between different players, but there are fair ways to fight... and there are just blatant ways to abuse the PvP system...

... Just some thoughts.

Replies

• MolTheFirst
    146 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Mostly I don't think that is what is happening. Folks aren't checking the chat window in the midst of a battle and strategising which weak player should place first.

The reason guildmates rise faster is simple math. If they have a pact not to attack each other they are going to hit you more and get hit less themselves. If you are bumped from 1 to 2 by the first guildmate. #3's only choice is to hit you again.

Of course, by joining the pact you need to be willing to be a good comrade and:
    - settle for 2nd place because a guildmate got there first
    - take a less efficient path to 1st place by having to dodge and weave

I say fair play and a good strategy!

If you want to join the guild that is turning heads at the top through fair play then Ally me!

We have helped several members rise from top 100 to the top 5 through guidance (on character choices and tactics) and moral support.

If other guilds want to level the playing field, then recruit a few folks from your own server - it's more fun than picking the best players on other servers.

JOIN ME!

'I have a bad feeling'
    961-942-851
    LINE: MolTheFirst

ps. We are trying to keep one free slot open at most times.
    Post edited by MolTheFirst on
  • Alzado
    23 posts Member
    I'm in the guild in question. We have NEVER targeted a specific person. We are all F2P to dolphin type players. We do talk about strategies to improve our rankings overall. We don't attack each other and that definately helps. Everything Mol The First started above is 100% true.
  • you could potentially lock #1 and #2 for 50 minutes by alternating between the two. by the time player 1s 10 minute cooldown is over player 2 has started another 5 min battle taking them to 10 minutes and the cycle repeats. this was happening in my shard before guilds were released, and i refused to participate. the top players had a pact to not attack each other and lock up at payout. pretty dirty pool playing.
  • Mieleson
    14 posts Member
    Hey guys :p
    Wasn't really targeting any guild with this post to be honest, and haven't seen it on our shard just yet... (But you never really know over time...) but I do know some people who this is happening to so thought I would put it out there...

Wish I could recruit a couple people from shard to our guild but seems everyone is already in a guild already ><
  • MolTheFirst
    146 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Mielson. We have 6 regulars making the top 5, I think the only guild on our server like that. No hard feelings and thanks for being a good sport.

Yes, recruiting can be hard whilst you can't chat or invite guilded members (even if they are dis-satisfied).

Widget, I have not tried it but it sounds like this defensive tactic was happening guild or no guild. Though mostly I don't think other guild mates want to see such chatter in the guild chat.

It seems that having a few 'fair play' guildmates on your side would even the odds and perhaps break such habits as the folks playing it will get attacked more often overall. Maybe that's why you are seeing it less now.

ps. If I am not wrong, 2 opponents genuinely battling for first place might also look like a 50 minute lockdown to the outsider.

Post edited by MolTheFirst on
  • I am in an older shard so there are a lot of activity going on around payout time. Almost every country at every possible payout time is in there. Every player capable of being in the top 10 or 20 is either positioning themselves or fighting for the top positions. And with major guilds locking out the top positions as early as half an hour before payout time, there is no chance for the others to get a hit in.

What's worst is we even have players who are not even near their payout time disturbing the progress of other players climbing up during their payout hour. Could the developers look into some of the older shards and split them up to ease the congestion?
  • The guild I'm in attack each other helps in figuring out what the teams weakness is and how it may be improved. By not attacking each other doesn't give any feedback to help improve tactics and make chages.
  • ... sigh. so i can feel it starting in my shard... this is gonna be **** annoying to deal with... having enemies in the same payout slot being in the same guild.

i feel for you forcedino... let me know what you do to secure a good payout...

i sometimes pay for a refresh but even then its not guaranteed since it takes something like 8 seconds for me to go from victory screen, to click refresh, choose an opponent, and then to click into next battle... (all the while someone can snipe you)