Farming Grievious - F2P

soneill73
202 posts Member
edited June 2016
So many people complain about how difficult it is to get this character. Is he, yes quite difficult, but he's a trophy character. So just how do you farm him out F2P? It's quite easy actually, GW. When you get to the point in the game that you can beat GW every day and have maxed out the characters they offer in the GW shop, you simply purchase shards for already maxed out characters. (The same principle would apply to the Arena shop)

Doing the math, it's 15 character shards or 225 shard shop tokens per day. That's possible by winning GW and using your 1200 GW tokens to purchase 15 character shards. Further that's 2,250 shard shop tokens every 10 days which is enough to purchase 10 Grievous shards in less than 2 weeks. In total it equates to 30 Grievous shards every month.

Seems like a really long time doesn't it? Compared to a common character that you get from Arena, Raids, or the GW shops with at least 5 shards a day it certainly seems that way.

In reality, I unlocked him in just under 2 months and since I've leveled him to 5* and currently need 35 more shards to reach 6*. All of this and I've taken short breaks to farm other toons like Teebo and Poggle.

With my current pace, and assuming nothing new will be added to the GW shop that I want, I will 6* him in approximately 25 days. Also, I have to consider that daily farming for ability mats, gear, etc often yields extra shards which I don't need. Current conversion rates are 1 shard = 15 shard shop tokens. Every little bit counts.

I know it seems insurmountable but it is called patience. If you keep playing the game and exercise a little strategy even a character like this is obtainable and upgradeable.

There will always be a Grievous or a Vader in a game like this. When we set out on a quest to unlock, upgrade, and finally enjoy those "unicorns" it just makes gameplay that much more fun.

Sure, you could purchase crystals and open the mega pack countless times earning the extra shards you need, but the fact remains you can work up to a character like this without spending a single penny.

So as it is for me, it's not a race to get him to 7* immediately. 100 days of just normal play assuming I win GW every day and the GW shop does not change. Not factoring loose shards picked up from various points of interest in game lowering that overall climb to 22,500 shard shop tokens.

If I'm still playing this game in 4 months I'll most likely have a 7* Grievous to play around with a droid team.

I thought this would be a good way to show people that it can be done with planning and an understanding that it works best once you've hit a sweet spot in playing. My method works assuming that you have at least 1 - 7* toon to unlock the shard shop, have enough 7* characters that you don't need the GW shop to further enhance your roster, and most importantly that you can defeat GW on a daily basis. The final point even applies to me, once we hit that level 80 cap and GW starts getting progressively more and more difficult my farming of Grievous might drop to only 5 shards every other week. I might even come to a screeching halt at 6*, no one knows. With all things such as this, it's an unknown, but the rough plan has been laid and I'm sticking with it.

I post this as much as a challenge to myself to stick with my plan. I'll update it when I hit 6* and finally 7*.

Best of luck!

EDIT 5/22 - Converted my last 5 shards to promote Grievous to 6*. Now for the long haul of about 2 months to collect the 100 shards to promote to 7*.

UPDATE 6/22 -Grievous is now at 7*, obtained the last 10 shards needed and promoted him early this morning. So in reality it only took exactly 1 month to get 100 shards.

Notes: I was collecting enough character shards per day from GW, SA, and Cantina to convert to 900 shard shop currency. I was at a pace of about 3 days per every 10 GG packs purchased. The special events boosted my collecting a great deal. Vader only showed up in my shop twice so only a setback of 600 shop currency in total for the entire month.
Post edited by soneill73 on