Whale

Prev1
Guy in my guild that racks up millions of points in raids every time has 33 toons at 80 and each is 7 stars. Just saw he has Wedge at 80 and 7 too. Literally must have spent 10-15k on this game. Wish I had a screenshot of his roster.

Replies

• There's no need to screenshot. We all know the P2W people are out there. It's only worthwhile to shame them if they try to pretend they accomplished everything as F2P. If their minding their own business and not bothering anyone, don't mess with them.
  • fberbert
    593 posts Member
    I would say he is a dolphin. There are a lot of people with more than 50 characters at 7 stars in the game. Take a look at https://swgoh.gg/g/ and have fun.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    There's no need to screenshot. We all know the P2W people are out there. It's only worthwhile to shame them if they try to pretend they accomplished everything as F2P. If their minding their own business and not bothering anyone, don't mess with them.

It's never "worthwhile" to shame anyone. :/

Why do you even worry about what other people do?

• @BentWookiee

Well, something being "worthwhile" comes down to a matter of opinion. It's not a matter of "worrying" about what others do. It's about keeping different levels of accomplishments valid.
  • Yeah I feel pretty much worthless after seeing players with 78 toons at 7*.
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    @BentWookiee

Well, something being "worthwhile" comes down to a matter of opinion. It's not a matter of "worrying" about what others do. It's about keeping different levels of accomplishments valid.

You have a weird sense of personal validation if you ever think shaming someone for *anything* is worthwhile, or tracking your "level of accomplishment" in a game.

but that's just me.. Good luck with that. :)
  • @BentWookiee

You have a weird sense of personal validation if you ever think shaming someone for *anything* is worthwhile, or tracking your "level of accomplishment" in a game.

but that's just me.. Good luck with that. :)

Got to agree here. Nothing gained from shaming/hurting others.
  • @BentWookiee

For instance:

Player A (F2P) spends 4-5 months grinding all available Hard Modes to acquire enough shards to 7* a particular character.

Meanwhile, Player B (P2W) is going around talking about how "easy" it was to get the same character to the same level, but within 1-2 weeks, versus months. All the while speaking as though they didn't pay for the convenience.

The inputted effort from each player is NOT the same.

That would be like an F2P player going around saying they have the same financial value to the Development Company, as the P2W Whales spending thousands. I would bet that those spending actual large amounts of money wouldn't take to kindly to someone falsely claiming to provide as much financial support as they do. That's why they have sub-classifications of water-going animals to separate the low, moderate, big spenders from each other.

Status means something, even in a game community, and gamers don't want their title-based territory treaded on by someone who doesn't fit the description.
  • Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    Yup.....

Kinda like getting upset with the guy driving the Rolls, while we're all driving Base Model Fords

Pointless ?

Just enjoy dreaming that you could have one too someday ;)
  • Im shocked that someone would drop 50k on a game. EA making a killing.
  • @DarthMasterShawn

Again, matter of opinion.

There's nothing to gain from someone boasting about their accomplishments in a forum, whether F2P or P2W, yet people do it anyway. Clearly everyone differs in what they enjoy versus that of the next person, so there is no point in trying to argue with personal preferences.
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    @BentWookiee

For instance:

Player A (F2P) spends 4-5 months grinding all available Hard Modes to acquire enough shards to 7* a particular character.

Meanwhile, Player B (P2W) is going around talking about how "easy" it was to get the same character to the same level, but within 1-2 weeks, versus months. All the while speaking as though they didn't pay for the convenience.

The inputted effort from each player is NOT the same.

That would be like an F2P player going around saying they have the same financial value to the Development Company, as the P2W Whales spending thousands. I would bet that those spending actual large amounts of money wouldn't take to kindly to someone falsely claiming to provide as much financial support as they do. That's why they have sub-classifications of water-going animals to separate the low, moderate, big spenders from each other.

Status means something, even in a game community, and gamers don't want their title-based territory treaded on by someone who doesn't fit the description.

Again, I disagree.

I think your premise is flawed.

"Status " is something one should not get from a game, or from shaming others. If that is how you measure worth then you probably need a whole new scale of measurement.

However, that is just me. I just always presume that having fun is the important thing in a game, and wish the best for others.

• Status is in the hat. "Hands @BentWookiee a disney yoda ears hat"
  • Huh. Sounds like a Team Instinct candidate.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • @BentWookiee

You opine that my premise is flawed, from your perspective. I understand and respect that we are on different sides of the viewing glass, and my goal is not to convert you.

You say status is not something one should get from a game, YET, the competitive status players achieve in THIS game, is one of the driving forces behind purchases. P2W works, BECAUSE people want their status as #1, or "The Best", or "One of the Best", or "The first". Competition drives sales. This isn't a new concept in any sort of way, and is one of the many reasons the P2W-model is successful across the mobile gaming industry.

The shaming is only when someone tries to lie. Imagine a politician, who everyone knows was born into wealth, trying to say they came up from nothing and made something of themselves. It's insulting to those who ACTUALLY came up from nothing. Wouldn't they be worthy of being called out as a fake?

• NicolasRage
    1038 posts Member
    fberbert wrote: »
    I would say he is a dolphin. There are a lot of people with more than 50 characters at 7 stars in the game. Take a look at https://swgoh.gg/g/ and have fun.

Looked at the first guy in the first guild listed. Has 7* grievous level 80. I seriously have no idea how that's possible, p2w or not.
  • JinSaotome wrote: »
    Huh. Sounds like a Team Instinct candidate.

Leave us out of this please :)

iN Ovechkin
  • Alita
    474 posts
    edited May 2016
    @Pokebreaker

why would you shame them? there is no reason to shame them.
    you can present facts, and refute particular claims, but you should not try to make someone else feel shame to validate your own position. it does not strengthen it, and is actually an informal fallacy that weakens your argument.
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    No one tried to lie though.. this was all about a third party talking about a roster he saw and you making the statement "It's only worthwhile to shame"

I just don't think it's every "worthwhile" to shame anyone.. I think that is where pity should kick in.
  • fberbert
    593 posts Member
    fberbert wrote: »

Looked at the first guy in the first guild listed. Has 7* grievous level 80. I seriously have no idea how that's possible, p2w or not.

Grievous is long enough at shard shop, a lot of people already have him, but you won't see him around because he is useless, nothing but a ugly trophy in your roster... trust me :)
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • @BentWookiee

In the case of this thread, I don't think the person mentioned is "worthy" of any negative feelings or comments. Which is why I felt he/she should be left alone, seeing as they are likely minding their own business.
  • Who cares what other people have? Get over it.

This is another reason why lifting the curtain is a bad idea.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Apoc
    172 posts Member
    Whales pay for the game, and the more whales means for more content. So.... Be appreciative of whales?
  • Super123
    233 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Shaming others to make our self feel better
  • Blurryface wrote: »
    Guy in my guild that racks up millions of points in raids every time has 33 toons at 80 and each is 7 stars. Just saw he has Wedge at 80 and 7 too. Literally must have spent 10-15k on this game. Wish I had a screenshot of his roster.

Holy s**t, I woulda bought a car instead!
  • Duckoo
    279 posts Member
    A fair few people pay to explore content and try new strategies. Not to compete. A lot of assumptions being made.
  • @BentWookiee

In the case of this thread, I don't think the person mentioned is "worthy" of any negative feelings or comments. Which is why I felt he/she should be left alone, seeing as they are likely minding their own business.

It's very rare whales even come here to brag about what they have.
  • Mythov
    97 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I for one very much enjoy my 7* ftp leia ;););)

Honestly, we all play the same game. We all have the same achievments. Paying is certainly a shortcut at times. Multiple steps, such as rapidly increasing cost of refresh, dropping shards u already have, skills mata coming at relativelely the same pace can certainly make a dedicated ftp player very competitive.

But id honor them by competing with them on equal footing, not give them a participation trophy. Cuz that would just insult their effort.

So yeah, please take that whole shaming concept somewhere else where it will fly.

Edit: sorry didnt realize
    Post edited by Mythov on
  • Mythov wrote: »
    I for one very much enjoy my 7* ftp leia ;););)

Honestly, we all play the same game. We all have the same achievments. Paying is certainly a shortcut at times. Multiple steps, such as rapidly increasing cost of refresh, dropping shards u already have, skills mata coming at relativelely the same pace can certainly make a dedicated ftp player very competitive.

But id honor them by competing with them on equal footing, not give them a participation trophy. Cuz that would just insult their effort.

So yeah, please take that whole shaming concept somewhere else where it will fly. I hear Bernie is holding a rally at a place near you

Any mention of any politician is against the forum guidelines. You might want to edit that out @Mythov
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • @Alita

You should read my initial statement, all the way to the end. I have a feeling you got part way through, then immediately started replying. I stated the Subject of this thread should be left alone.

Not every person is the same. If someone wants to P2W, that is their prerogative. However, once they bring it to the forums, they open themselves up for positive and negative responses and opinions. If someone doesn't want to have to deal with a negative opinion, then they should keep it to themselves.

I like to play Devil's Advocate, sticking up for the side of an argument that appears to be against the "popular" vote, if it happens to align with my beliefs. Sometimes I will go after F2P players being unreasonable, others I will go after P2W players being unreasonable. In most cases, there is no need to side with anyone, because the conversation is neutral. That being the case, I open myself up to people who agree and disagree with me. I'm not going to have my feelings hurt when I post something, and someone vehemently disagrees. That is the nature of interpersonal communications. Too many people either go with what EVERYONE else is saying, so as to avoid confrontation, or just stay quiet, so as to not to get involved. I prefer to interact with others, good and bad. That's just me though.