What the - bad drop in arena ranks all of a sudden

Hi guys,
So, i gravitate around rank 75 in arena - enough for me, as I'm mostly f2p player (less then a 200 usd invested) and for the past 6-7 weeks, I was able to stay in that rank with the common 5 fights/per day.

But suddenly that changed - something happened last night, and now I'm getting raepd. Woke up with 60 ranks down, did some fights with the morning cofee, hard ones - all oppnents rose in power with 2 - 3 k over a night, and now I'm at rank 134, no fight atempts any more. Any explanation why did this happened. I thought it was because my last fight was with phasma as leader, so I swithched back to my previous leader, but still the same result.

Replies

• Everyone got their 6*/7* Yoda.
  • Nah, aint that - Yoda is nowhere to be seen when I refresh my opponents, not a single one today.
    Same thing happened when there was a guild activity reward for doing arena - i pondered it was because people refreshed a lot to get more coins. And sometimes I get rank sniped in the last 1 hours before rewards and I drop from rank 5X to 70-80, never that bad as today. Anyone else with an idea of what is happening?
  • d3tox
    71 posts Member
    This happens as the meta shifts. It happened to me once, and its a sign you need to adjust. In my case, I was finishing inside the top 50, with the occasionally top 20. All of a sudden, the bottom completely fell out. For a few days I just barely was finishing in the top 100. I adjusted, and all of a sudden I got back to where the top 50 was attainable.

Basically, it comes down to your team either being an attractive target, or easily beaten (or maybe both).
  • Tisikotka wrote: »
    Nah, aint that - Yoda is nowhere to be seen when I refresh my opponents, not a single one today.
    Same thing happened when there was a guild activity reward for doing arena - i pondered it was because people refreshed a lot to get more coins. And sometimes I get rank sniped in the last 1 hours before rewards and I drop from rank 5X to 70-80, never that bad as today. Anyone else with an idea of what is happening?

It's possible they're changing Yoda out for final battle. He is terrible on defense, and I've lost upwards of 200 spots in one day by forgetting him there
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    At least it just wasn't me. I figured that my team **** for some reason, and I just had bad luck with everyone attacking me. :)
  • SithAuno
    39 posts Member
    It happened also to me yesterday. I went from 30ish to 100ish.
  • Tisikotka
    20 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Well, I run all my 7*, most of them gear 7 and 8, Asaj lead, Sid, Lumi, Nightsister Initiate, Ahsoka, can gear up to 8 soon my Phasma and will get her to 7* tomorrow but thats about it.

Working on QGJ and HK47 in both cantina and arena. Hk is pretty far (5*) and probably will do Han next, but so far, i dont have huge resources to make changes to my team. A 6*baris will come soon, but she is most of a GW progress/Raids necesity

Any tips what to do?
  • Meta isnt a very useful answer. What arena team are you using? What kind of teams are you facing? I'm also ftp and I fluctuate between top 10 or top 20. I've definitely seen changes over the last few weeks but nothing sudden or as resent as you are describing.
    Well, I run all my 7*, most of them gear 7 and 8, Asaj lead, Sid, Lumi, Nightsister Initiate, Ahsoka, can gear up to 8 soon my Phasma and will get her to 7* tomorrow but thats about it.

Working on QGJ and HK47 in both cantina and arena. Hk is pretty far (5*) and probably will do Han next, but so far, i dont have huge resources to make changes to my team. A 6*baris will come soon, but she is most of a GW progress/Raids necesity

Any tips what to do?

You need a tank of some sort. Most of the toons you are using die fairly quick, so you need someone to taunt, giving Lumi or Snips a chance to heal your party. Unfortunately, AI doesn't use Ahsoka properly, which makes her one of your weakest links
  • DarthMelkor
    277 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    It's possible they're changing Yoda out for final battle. He is terrible on defense, and I've lost upwards of 200 spots in one day by forgetting him there

I use Yoda in my arena squad and I still leave him in overnight. I'm only dropping down to around 20ish. Almost every team I face has RG, Old Ben, and usually a Daka or Fives.
    Post edited by DarthMelkor on
  • Sometimes that just happens. You'll have to watch to see if it keeps happening or if it was a one time thing. Your team isn't really considered all that "scary" or meta so you might be an easy target even if it works well on offense but it's hard to say since it looks like you're on a much newer leader board than I am.
  • Thanks for the replies so far, yeah I know my tea is not top arena one, but so far it did what it was supposed to do and I was fine with it. Problem is all of a suden it doesn't. I'll keep monitoring how it goes and let you know
  • sc7606
    97 posts Member
    Tisikotka wrote: »
    Well, I run all my 7*, most of them gear 7 and 8, Asaj lead, Sid, Lumi, Nightsister Initiate, Ahsoka

That's why you fall in ranks. Its a team that says "attack me please". No synergy (well Asajj and NSI but thats not a scary synergy), you don't have scary DPS (ashoka is not DPS even if she's better now that she used to be) and Sid is just a great big target.

If you want to do the NS thing, you need Daka too - at least she adds some RNG to your team. I know you said you are farming HK47, but unless you've got a couple of droids in your back pocket, thats an odd choice - he doesn't do much by himself, you'd be better off with STH. QGJ is a great toon, as is phasma (she's also a bit of a target as the AI doesn't play her well though).
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Probably just lots of active players. People come back for the yoda event that may not usually play on the daily basis. More active players means more attempts in arena.
    Since the game mechanics basically make it possible for anyone to beat anyone depending on luck, all it takes is active players to move the leader board around.
  • When you are in the lower ranks 100+ you will get pushed back faster. Like you can lose 15 spots from one fight. Then the further you go back I think it starts getting like 25-40 spots from one loss. The top 10 you will lose only a few spots like 1-5 depending on you rank placement. Before an update a while back, you could lose 15 spots from rank 1. So push ahead or get left behind.
  • int3ns1fy
    210 posts Member
    Tisikotka wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    So, i gravitate around rank 75 in arena - enough for me, as I'm mostly f2p player (less then a 200 usd invested) and for the past 6-7 weeks, I was able to stay in that rank with the common 5 fights/per day.

But suddenly that changed - something happened last night, and now I'm getting raepd. Woke up with 60 ranks down, did some fights with the morning cofee, hard ones - all oppnents rose in power with 2 - 3 k over a night, and now I'm at rank 134, no fight atempts any more. Any explanation why did this happened. I thought it was because my last fight was with phasma as leader, so I swithched back to my previous leader, but still the same result.

So far the only determinant I can see is the level of your arena squad toons. I'm in the same situation as you - I've finished inside the top 20 and stayed within the top 50 overnight. But several times I've started dropping rapidly, and this morning woke up to being 113 (ugh).

What I normally do is level my arena toons up every 2 player levels - so I'm 76 now but my arena toons are 75, and I won't level them til I hit 77. Two other times besides now I've started dropping quickly, and both times the drops came after my arena squad had been at a particular level for a while. If history proves right, once I hit 77 and level up my arena toons I'll stop dropping again.

The thing is, unless you've got a squad that is actually dangerous to attack (which most of us don't have, and really there aren't that many of them), then the smallest of things can mean the difference between getting attacked or not. Given that even FTPers should have all their arena toons at gear 8 by now, but that getting to gear 9 is a process that will take forever for us, the only other differentiator is character level.
  • Nuwonda
    56 posts Member
    noticed the same and attributed it to the widening level gap. most toons are reaching 79/80 by now and I am scrambling after them and just reached 78 but overnight i lost 20 more spots than usual. all levelled to 78 now so should be able to get back up to the top 10 bracket. however, without any droid callers any time soon this will only get worse.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    People are gearing up, and kyrptonite teams are being found to take down the compositions that have been popular for too long.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • One: being attuned to the Force, the devs know what time zone you are in. Payouts happen at 6pm. Two: most attacks happen in the final hour before payout. Three: if your shard has a greater mix of players from different time zones, you will get hit more often. Boom! Bad drop in ranks
    Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.

Any tips what to do?

Unfortunately your team is a bit "under-DPS" compare to the top 150'ish ? teams in Arena these days ... depending on your server, I see tons of Rey/Leia/GS/clone-synergy w/Rex/Echo/5s or some droid teams. There is no way in a galaxy you can stand up against any of those teams ....