Whole Lotta CB!

WildWest1974
628 posts Member
edited May 2016
In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias(or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions, leading to statistical errors.

Over 30 pages in one thread complaining that they made the Yoda event too hard.

One developer update clarifying two things that did not change (level 90 and Omega skills) and two things that did (speed reduced, now affected by protection).

Now people are quoting Jesse as saying nothing changed and calling him a liar. "We have video evidence that he hits harder than before!" Well guess what, so do the enemies in Cantina, LS and DS.

Confirmation bias all over the place.

Is it tougher? Yes, so are many other aspects of the game since the balance tuning and protection updates.

Are the devs claiming it's the same as it ever was? Nope.

Credit to the devs for trying their best to keep the game moving in a positive direction, despite the unending negativity they face here daily.

*puts on Magmatrooper's asbestos armor*
Post edited by WildWest1974 on

Replies

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    +1
  • Orions
    269 posts Member
    Options
    Your not wrong.
    I think most were hoping for an easy run, and I'm not surprised its as hard as it is (especially without Barriss) but I figure it will just feel more rewarding when I finally beat him. Hopefully I wont have to wait until next time, but if i do have to wait I'll make sure I'm ready for next time!

O
  • Options
    In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias(or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions, leading to statistical errors.

Over 30 pages in one thread complaining that they made the Yoda event too hard.

One developer update clarifying two things that did not change (level 90 and Omega skills) and two things that did (speed reduced, now affected by protection).

Now people are quoting Jesse as saying nothing changed and calling him a liar. We have video evidence that he hits harder than before! Well guess what, so do the enemies in Cantina, LS and DS.

Confirmation bias all over the place.

Is it tougher? Yes, so are many other aspects of the game since the balance tuning and protection updates.

Are the devs claiming it's the same as it ever was? Nope.

Credit to the dev's for trying their best to keep the game moving in a positive direction, despite the unending negativity they face here daily.

*puts on Magmatrooper's asbestos armor*

+1
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    increasing difficulty keeps the player entertained. people know this, want this and keep comming back for more because of this. But when something is too challenging for some they forget the whole concept and transform into an angry mob with pitchforks :)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Orions wrote: »
    Your not wrong.
    I think most were hoping for an easy run, and I'm not surprised its as hard as it is (especially without Barriss) but I figure it will just feel more rewarding when I finally beat him. Hopefully I wont have to wait until next time, but if i do have to wait I'll make sure I'm ready for next time!

O

I hate to be that guy...but...*you're*.

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    OP: speaking of Magmatrooper...he needs a huge potency buff now that his special can be resisted.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    Your not wrong.

O

Have a nice day!

ure
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    dvl009 wrote: »
    Your not wrong.

O

Have a nice day!

ure

U R
  • Options
    Yeah people just come to the Yoda thread to get confirmed in their view... thats all that they ever wanted. And they want easy stuff, because they dont like challenges.

/sarcasm off

I would rather say you are a typical case for the Dunning-Kruger effect.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah people just come to the Yoda thread to get confirmed in their view... thats all that they ever wanted. And they want easy stuff, because they dont like challenges.

/sarcasm off

Making people google stuff is not nice.

By the way, many people DO want more stuff, and easier, its human nature.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

/sarcasm off

please explain to me how this is a typical case for the dunning kruger effect ?
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

/sarcasm off

The OP thinks he is so smart that only he can understand the intentions of all the people in the Yoda thread (it is obviously the confirmation bias!), but rather he does not really understand what is going on. Proven by the rest of what he is stating
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

/sarcasm off

The OP thinks he is so smart that only he can understand the intentions of all the people in the Yoda thread (it is obviously the confirmation bias!), but rather he does not really understand what is going on. Proven by the rest of what he is stating

but you are that much smarter, thats why you can call him a typical case for the dunning kruger effect. i get it now.
  • Veritasum
    754 posts Member
    Options
    Well said. "Affected by protection" means he was adjusted like the rest of the game when the update hit. Don't mean he's easier.
  • WildWest1974
    628 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    To be fair, I am generalizing when I refer to confirmation bias driving many of the comments regarding the Yoda event, but it certainly has played a large role in many of them.

Likewise, your assessment of me and my level of understanding is equally generalized. I just had the courtesy to include a definition rather than using a relatively obscure insult to make myself look smart.

E.T.A. While your Dunning-Kruger effect remark was a clever way to insult me, its true definition is inapplicable in this context. Many of the people complaining do suffer from some form of confirmation bias. It's human nature. And I never claimed of implied that my perception of the situation was superior. I was simply stating my own opinion of what I've observed.