statistics > complaints -- DEV COMMENT

Prev1
leef
13458 posts Member
edited May 2016
ea_jesse wrote this about the yoda event nerf in the community update - 5/13/2016:
While player feedback is one of our most important resources, the changes to the Yoda Event were primarily driven by player data. Over the past three iterations of the event, we saw that players were completing Stages 1 – 4 at an acceptable pace. Starting with Stage 5, the completion rate began to lag behind our initial projections. At Stage 7, the completion rate was starkly below even our most conservative estimates. The Yoda Event was never designed to have a completion rate that low. The philosophy behind the event was that, if you had built a 7-star Jedi team, the fight should still be a challenge, but not insurmountable. Coupled with the new Protection update, the data showed completion rates even lower than the previous 3 events, and as such, we needed to bring the Yoda Event in line with our original design intent.

ea monitors the data and bases their descision on those statistics. Player feedback might be "one of their most important resources", but in the end its all about statistics.

This gives some insight on the value of complaint threads. Do with this information as you please. I suggest you keep this in mind when you feel like you have to "help" the community and overlaod the forum with negative threads. Please dont overestimate the value of these threads. I am not against all complaint threads. I believe some issues are worth bringing under the attention of the devs aswell. But at some point adding more complaint threads is just making things worse. The devs wont use that information and the forum will become less enjoyable to use because of all the negativety.

Yes we can, make the forums great again!
Save water, drink champagne!
Post edited by NotReallyAJedi on

Replies

• LlwllynZ
    97 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I dont wanna be ome of those negative person but ea has the statistics, and they said this and that. Also ive seen our president saying this and that, therefore i should believe it. #sheepnation.

It doesn't necessary mean its not real tho, but look around in our world a bit see how everything is driven by media, religion, etc..
  • ABNRAS
    564 posts Member
    Its a video game. Look! A black helicopter!
  • Cinge
    39 posts Member
    There's a balance between what players want and think is fair and its intended purpose/outcome. It seems like they look at both, make a decision, then act (maybe not necessarily in our desire time frame), but it happens
  • Well then I would like to see some 'statistics' behind the nerfing of credit events as well as gear paywalls and what 'statistics' decided they would implement unobtaniums in the gear store for real money.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Well then I would like to see some 'statistics' behind the nerfing of credit events as well as gear paywalls and what 'statistics' decided they would implement unobtaniums in the gear store for real money.

not sure what specific statistic you would like to see, but they will probably not provide us those statistics. Why would they ?
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Wow, I guess we know who's wearing aluminum foil hats while they play.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    Wow, I guess we know who's wearing aluminum foil hats while they play.

care to elaborate ?
  • Zemyn
    106 posts Member
    I'm just gonna drop my comment from the other thread here as well. Pretty sure most people didn't compare the event before and after. I did.

Dear everyone calling people whiners regarding this event,

I've played this event twice. I earned my Yoda 7* in the second event (level cap 70, pre balancing). My team that eventually worked out was QGJ (L), Mace, Ahsoka, Lumi, and JC. All were 70 G7-8. The battles were tough-ish. I could play for a few turns before losing any one character and the secondary Jedi on Yoda's team weren't hugely intimidating. I beat him after maybe 5-6 tries against different teams when he had Eeth and Plo.

My room mate just got his Jedi up to 7 for this one. Same team. All level 73-75 and G8. We both tried dozens of times. Wiped in 1-2 rounds every time. Crazy hard. All about praying to RNGeesus.

There were serious issues this time, and I'm happy that they're getting fixed and being brought more in line with what the difficulty was before the balancing/protection/cap raise. It was always tough, but not impossible. Now we have access to higher levels and gear, why should an old challenge keep having the bar raised? It should be completable at the same level it always was.

Now, the NEXT challenge on the other hand... Bring it on!

#YourEntitlementBoresMe #StopWhiningAboutWhiningItSolvesNothing

#CanWeBalanceAFewMoreCharactersPlease
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    @Zemyn this thread isnt about the yoda event per se. Its about how descisions get made by the devs, and the influence forum posters have on those descisions.
  • leef wrote: »
    Well then I would like to see some 'statistics' behind the nerfing of credit events as well as gear paywalls and what 'statistics' decided they would implement unobtaniums in the gear store for real money.

not sure what specific statistic you would like to see, but they will probably not provide us those statistics. Why would they ?

Exactly my point, they won't.
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Zemyn wrote: »
    I'm just gonna drop my comment from the other thread here as well. Pretty sure most people didn't compare the event before and after. I did.

Dear everyone calling people whiners regarding this event,

I've played this event twice. I earned my Yoda 7* in the second event (level cap 70, pre balancing). My team that eventually worked out was QGJ (L), Mace, Ahsoka, Lumi, and JC. All were 70 G7-8. The battles were tough-ish. I could play for a few turns before losing any one character and the secondary Jedi on Yoda's team weren't hugely intimidating. I beat him after maybe 5-6 tries against different teams when he had Eeth and Plo.

My room mate just got his Jedi up to 7 for this one. Same team. All level 73-75 and G8. We both tried dozens of times. Wiped in 1-2 rounds every time. Crazy hard. All about praying to RNGeesus.

There were serious issues this time, and I'm happy that they're getting fixed and being brought more in line with what the difficulty was before the balancing/protection/cap raise. It was always tough, but not impossible. Now we have access to higher levels and gear, why should an old challenge keep having the bar raised? It should be completable at the same level it always was.

Now, the NEXT challenge on the other hand... Bring it on!

#YourEntitlementBoresMe #StopWhiningAboutWhiningItSolvesNothing

#CanWeBalanceAFewMoreCharactersPlease

No one is arguing that any more and this post isn't about that, do you just like to hear yourself talk?
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    I would imagine that the makers have insights to LOTS of statistics about the game and make adjustments based on player trends etc. :)
  • I guarantee that the forum has very little impact. The vast majority of decision makers never look here. What will happen is the community managers (Jesse) will send a weekly summary or something to the designers and producers and occasionally an emergency alert if things really hit the fan but even in those cases the devs probably already know there's a big problem anyway.

Voice your opinions and complaints all you like here but as the OP said, don't overestimate the impact anything said here may have on actual decision making.
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    DjangoQuik wrote: »
    I guarantee that the forum has very little impact. The vast majority of decision makers never look here. What will happen is the community managers (Jesse) will send a weekly summary or something to the designers and producers and occasionally an emergency alert if things really hit the fan but even in those cases the devs probably already know there's a big problem anyway.

Voice your opinions and complaints all you like here but as the OP said, don't overestimate the impact anything said here may have on actual decision making.

I think the forum DOES have impact.. but remember the forum represents a pretty small part of the player base in the whole scheme of things. It in a great place to give real feedback though and I think it's apparent it is listened to.
  • DjangoQuik wrote: »
    I guarantee that the forum has very little impact. The vast majority of decision makers never look here. What will happen is the community managers (Jesse) will send a weekly summary or something to the designers and producers and occasionally an emergency alert if things really hit the fan but even in those cases the devs probably already know there's a big problem anyway.

I think the forum DOES have impact.. but remember the forum represents a pretty small part of the player base in the whole scheme of things. It in a great place to give real feedback though and I think it's apparent it is listened to.

Yeah, John even said his favorite form of feedback is the forum.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Regardless of what the statistics and reports say you can't tell me that Yoda was always at level 90. Previously in the Tier 7 event he would hit you for 3k-8k and now against level 70+ gear 8-10 Jedi he's hitting for 8k-15k? It's pretty ridiculous that they expect us to believe that Yoda was always at level 90 and always had omega abilities.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Surprisingly, the forums DO have a significant impact!

Data is simply a record of everything that happens. We have LOTS of data. But Data doesn't call you up, or send you an email, and say, "Hey Bro, some things are happening here you might want to know about. P.S. Your game sucks." Data is inert until acted upon by a Data Scientist (of which we have), but even still, you have to KNOW the questions you want to ask to get the answers you want.

While we have a lot of data dashboards in place to alert us to the big fires, it's actually the forums that highlight the things that are of VALUE TO THE PLAYER--something data can't do, because it is emotionless. You can have a PERFECT formula for gameplay in an Excel doc, but that doesn't mean it's perfect in-game. Data can tell us a lot of things, but it can't account for the art of games.

Without the forums, without the feedback, without the Dark Side, we would be doing what we did in the old days of game development, "Meh, we sold 1,000,000 copies, it's fine." All the while not realizing we could have sold 10 times as many had we just been able to correlate player sentiment with actual data.

So take heart, your feedback IS incredibly important! It's a huge indicator that there might be something amiss. Data is simply the opposite side of the coin: it helps us make rational decisions without overreacting.
    Lead Game Designer (Live), Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Surprisingly, the forums DO have a significant impact!

Data is simply a record of everything that happens. We have LOTS of data. But Data doesn't call you up, or send you an email, and say, "Hey Bro, some things are happening here you might want to know about. P.S. Your game sucks." Data is inert until acted upon by a Data Scientist (of which we have), but even still, you have to KNOW the questions you want to ask to get the answers you want.

While we have a lot of data dashboards in place to alert us to the big fires, it's actually the forums that highlight the things that are of VALUE TO THE PLAYER--something data can't do, because it is emotionless. You can have a PERFECT formula for gameplay in an Excel doc, but that doesn't mean it's perfect in-game. Data can tell us a lot of things, but it can't account for the art of games.

Without the forums, without the feedback, without the Dark Side, we would be doing what we did in the old days of game development, "Meh, we sold 1,000,000 copies, it's fine." All the while not realizing we could have sold 10 times as many had we just been able to correlate player sentiment with actual data.

So take heart, your feedback IS incredibly important! It's a huge indicator that there might be something amiss. Data is simply the opposite side of the coin: it helps us make rational decisions without overreacting.

Hey @CG_NotReallyAJedi ! I love that you were able to respond and give us an explanation of why the forums are important. There are still some HUGE issues that I have not seen addressed. Any word on the precrafting issue? Or tuning of the weaker characters? https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/
    Seems silly that only a small percentage of characters are used when there are so many in the game! Thanks for your time if you read this
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Thanks for your reaction. I did not mean to say that the forum isnt important, or that our opinions dont matter. I respect that you would put the emphasis on the importance of the forum (and make us feel heard), where i put emphasis on the data. I wanted to show the "opposite side of the coin" as you called it in your comment. For example the threads about galactic war being to difficult and players cant finish it. If the data shows that the percentage of players finishing galactic war every day stays the same, it should not matter that there are 10+ threads about this "issue", it should not be changed because some players are very vocal about it on the forum.
    Ofcourse if that percentage was actually going down fast, it would be a good thing that players brought it to your attention. (like i said in the OP)
    Sometimes when i read the forum i get the feeling that certain members think if they express their opinion often enough and loud enough, that things should and will change. With this thread i am trying to say that if the data doesnt support their claims nothing should or will change, and becoming more vocal and more demanding about it would influence the whole forum in a negative way.

ps. a bit amazed that a dev actually took the time to respond :o
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member

@CG_NotReallyAJedi Any word on the nerfs? Still no reply...
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member

Really appreciate this - but I have a quick question that I'm hoping not to make a new thread for: Some people are reporting receiving a pop-up questionnaire in the game, that is fairly in-depth and lengthy. I would be very interested in filling this out, but I've yet to see the pop-up. Is there some specific criteria as to who is offered the survey or not?
  • DjangoQuik wrote: »

It is. I requested a farmable Bane, and the very next day they announced his release from chromium prison
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Mazurka wrote: »

Hey @CG_NotReallyAJedi ! I love that you were able to respond and give us an explanation of why the forums are important. There are still some HUGE issues that I have not seen addressed. Any word on the precrafting issue? Or tuning of the weaker characters? https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/
    Seems silly that only a small percentage of characters are used when there are so many in the game! Thanks for your time if you read this

I think you can read between the lines on precrafting. They looked at the data and the total number of items precrafted was insignificant. And since raids have started and furnaces given out significantly more unobs have been created then ever were precrafted.

It sucks, it was handled poorly, G9 RG was dominant in the early 70s, but it's over now. Nothing will ever be done.
  • LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member

It is. I requested a farmable Bane, and the very next day they announced his release from chromium prison

So glad you are my father cause this seriously made me laugh. Though since I am 382/30 with mr bane I don't need to farm but some good shard shop when level up w my credits.
  • Surprisingly, the forums DO have a significant impact!

Truly awesome that you replied to this post, as you have found out, your response opened the door to other legit concerns from other heros. Is there any possible way that someone from the dev team can look into some of these "mega threads" (maybe just once a week) that have valid concerns from heros everywhere? Even if you say nothing more than "we are still looking into this issue" it would allow us all to know that you aren't "dodging" any particular issue by dumping it all in a mega trash can. (See what I did there? Cuz... The whole dodge issue really blows and there is a mega thread about 50 pages long) anyway, I digress, please pop into those threads like once a week and give us an update. You're awesome guys, thanks for the game!
    Use the force Luke.... and get rid of that stupid musket.
  • clawsofhonor
    370 posts Member
    edited May 2016

Im sure it was solely because you requested a farmable bane. I'm sure next they will get right on your "stackable stuns" lol.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    TL;DR: I don't want the game to change, because I farm imbalanced characters.

It doesn't take a data analyst to realize that the game is not balanced, and that the same 15 characters plague 90% of the high-level arena (and I'm generous when I say 90%, that's without a doubt more).

But hey, every time someone points a problem, you jump in to say that "nerfing is not the solution", that "the whining has to stop", that "negative threads are bad".

Now you're claiming that devs don't read complaints from the player. Even though that has been proven wrong by a dev himself, you keep saying that the forum doesn't mean much.

Why are you so afraid of change? It only makes the game more exciting and brings new things.

They have statistics and numbers on the game, but it's only numerical. You don't get informations on the quality of content, and how the players perceive it. That's an important part of feedback.

You're saying GW isn't a problem because everyone completes it. That's a numerical approach.
    If you open your eyes and look at players feedback, you'll see that GW is tedious and boring, but that you HAVE to complete it to be able to gain credits. That's something wrong, but it doesn't appear on the stats.

But yes, sure, keep circlejerking about how nerfs are bad and hurt the game. It seems a lot of people, me included, disagree with you. And now we know that the devs may read us, so we're not going to hesitate to complain on the forum.

Thank you for your support leef.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Sikho wrote: »

It doesn't take a data analyst to realize that the game is not balanced, and that the same 15 characters plague 90% of the high-level arena (and I'm generous when I say 90%, that's without a doubt more).

But hey, every time someone points a problem, you jump in to say that "nerfing is not the solution", that "the whining has to stop", that "negative threads are bad".

Now you're claiming that devs don't read complaints from the player. Even though that has been proven wrong by a dev himself, you keep saying that the forum doesn't mean much.

Why are you so afraid of change? It only makes the game more exciting and brings new things.

They have statistics and numbers on the game, but it's only numerical. You don't get informations on the quality of content, and how the players perceive it. That's an important part of feedback.

You're saying GW isn't a problem because everyone completes it. That's a numerical approach.
    If you open your eyes and look at players feedback, you'll see that GW is tedious and boring, but that you HAVE to complete it to be able to gain credits. That's something wrong, but it doesn't appear on the stats.

But yes, sure, keep circlejerking about how nerfs are bad and hurt the game. It seems a lot of people, me included, disagree with you. And now we know that the devs may read us, so we're not going to hesitate to complain on the forum.

@Sikho I think the problem is not change but rather how frequent the changes are.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Baldo wrote: »

@Sikho I think the problem is not change but rather how frequent the changes are.

Frequent changes? The speed meta and the protection meta share most of their characters. There hasn't been a significant shift, and contrary to what was announced, faster heroes did not receive a damage reduction.
    The fastest characters are still the hardest hitting ones.

Players aren't challenged. They didn't have to come up with new strategies, because the old ones are still the most effective.

That's what people are asking for changes. You always see the same heroes, even when the meta is supposed to change. That's a proof that the game is imbalanced.

So of course narrow-minded people don't see a problem with that: They have farmed the right heroes, and they're safe for the rest of the game. They don't have to think and elaborate new strategies, build new teams.

So when people ask for a change, because having a static and limited meta is boring, these people realize that they will have to get out of their comfort zone. So they panick and start lying about the state of the game, claiming that it's balanced and that blatantly overpowered characters are fine.

This is a selfish view. Nothing more.

• Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Baldo wrote: »

Frequent changes? The speed meta and the protection meta share most of their characters. There hasn't been a significant shift, and contrary to what was announced, faster heroes did not receive a damage reduction.
    The fastest characters are still the hardest hitting ones.

Players aren't challenged. They didn't have to come up with new strategies, because the old ones are still the most effective.

That's what people are asking for changes. You always see the same heroes, even when the meta is supposed to change. That's a proof that the game is imbalanced.

So of course narrow-minded people don't see a problem with that: They have farmed the right heroes, and they're safe for the rest of the game. They don't have to think and elaborate new strategies, build new teams.

So when people ask for a change, because having a static and limited meta is boring, these people realize that they will have to get out of their comfort zone. So they panick and start lying about the state of the game, claiming that it's balanced and that blatantly overpowered characters are fine.

This is a selfish view. Nothing more.

Yeah frequent changes, share most of the same characters. They share QGJ, What are you talking about? Did you see FIVES, DAKA, Phasma, RG during the "Speed Meta"? I think not, selfish view that's hilarious coming out of your mouth.