Should the challenge timers be removed?

Prev1
wallismaster
73 posts Member
edited May 2016
Having to wait 10 minutes between challenges seems absolutely pointless and means you spend about an hour grinding each challenge.
I understand time limits on arena battles but challenges are illogical

Should the challenge timers be removed? 110 votes

Yes
83%
scubaFeardemon3milkacakTelaanRonon_DexAdamWCharlesbusaTheopiumdano7591DaezlBLuby25KrokovichLianaraZekexMrKslampdxOwexBaillPiffGuruSpartanGhostEleiem 92 votes
No
9%
ArubeJedi_DaveJaquizz1616ChefHazeGreg1920ViruschillDayvenMojavelandbaronJonnyHTaco 10 votes
Reduced
7%
benacrowEricsonXMo_lizaIAmExceptionTimitockdokvaderObi_Wan_CannoliXWingMitch0 8 votes

Replies

• JonnyH
    21 posts Member
    No
    You can do other things while waiting. Do the 2 challenges then do an arena battle and a couple of the GWs or regular light or dark battles go back and do another 2 challenges and repeat.

Pointless just sitting there waiting for the timer to go down. From my experience you can get all the daily activities, a full GW run and the raid done in under 2 hours. That spilt throughout the day when you have a spare bit of time isn't too much really.
  • Yes
    JonnyH wrote: »
    You can do other things while waiting. Do the 2 challenges then do an arena battle and a couple of the GWs or regular light or dark battles go back and do another 2 challenges and repeat.

Pointless just sitting there waiting for the timer to go down. From my experience you can get all the daily activities, a full GW run and the raid done in under 2 hours. That spilt throughout the day when you have a spare bit of time isn't too much really.

But it's not split through the day. My guild activity resets at 8pm which means I then have to cram in game time
  • Yes

And say you've finished the days challenges, spent all your energy but are just waiting to complete challenges after the guild reset, then you've nothing to do whilst waiting for challenge to refresh
  • JonnyH
    21 posts Member
    No

But it's not split through the day. My guild activity resets at 8pm which means I then have to cram in game time

There is only 1 guild activity per day that runs for 24 hours. You can do everything else before then and just save what ever activity is the guild one. I don't really see why you have to cram anything in? :/

My guild reset time is only 1 hour earlier than yours and I've never noticed a problem myself.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Reduced
    5 mins would be fine
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    Yes
    There is no point to the timer other than to keep you login back in or keeping you logged in.
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Yes
    Never understood the timer on challenges.... though the "challenges" really aren't either... so a "Gimmee" button would be fine with me too lol
  • No
    It doesn't bother me to wait 10 min. I'm going with a "no".
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    No
    It's a game mechanic to get you to log in multiple times a day because they have studies that show each log in per day generates a certain amount of sales and loyalty.

So no the free stuff in this game should be subtly designed to covert people to being spenders.
  • Yes
    Timer challenges are really not necessary other than to keep you logged in or logging in. I vote to drop the timers
    Use the force Luke.... and get rid of that stupid musket.
  • Yes

There is only 1 guild activity per day that runs for 24 hours. You can do everything else before then and just save what ever activity is the guild one. I don't really see why you have to cram anything in? :/

My guild reset time is only 1 hour earlier than yours and I've never noticed a problem myself.

The guild reset is at 8, the daily resets is at 1 am, now I'm not going to be playing past midnight. Which gives a window of 4 hours to compete challenges which takes a minimum of an hour. I guess the only commitment you have in your life in SWGOH
  • Yes
    It doesn't bother me to wait 10 min. I'm going with a "no".

But what purpose does the timer serve? Adds nothing to game play
  • Yes
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    It's a game mechanic to get you to log in multiple times a day because they have studies that show each log in per day generates a certain amount of sales and loyalty.

So no the free stuff in this game should be subtly designed to covert people to being spenders.

At least you've justified your no response. You're probably right about it being a money spinner, but I've never spent nor will I. However it's minor irritations like this that build up and make players fed up and leave the game for good
  • Predian
    615 posts Member
    Yes
    Challenges need a sim button
  • Yes
    Predian wrote: »
    Challenges need a sim button

YES PLEASE!
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Yes
    Yes, a sim button. Also would be great if the challenges had challenges.
  • JonnyH
    21 posts Member
    No

The guild reset is at 8, the daily resets is at 1 am, now I'm not going to be playing past midnight. Which gives a window of 4 hours to compete challenges which takes a minimum of an hour. I guess the only commitment you have in your life in SWGOH

Nice attempt at an insult but I have plenty of other commitments and still manage to do it without any problems.

Like you said you have 4 hours to complete it in... It takes a max of 5 minutes (usually much less) to do the 2 challenges. So taking 5 minutes every half hour to do the challenges and you will be done with it in 2.5 hours. There is time in between to do whatever else you want to do at home and even have an extra 1.5 hours to get them in if you are particularly busy at home.

Also I dunno about you but the challenges are easily done on auto so you don't even really need to stop what ever you are doing apart from setting it to go.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Or better.... Make it only one try needed and triple the rewards or 5x for gear ones.... There is no reason to have to do them 3 or 5 times a day and time is better spent in GW arena and raids.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Yes
    Also I dunno about you but the challenges are easily done on auto so you don't even really need to stop what ever you are doing apart from setting it to go.

This. I don't consider the challenges to be a part of the time I spend in the game each day, they just auto in the background at some point during the work day.
  • Yes
    This "app" takes far too much time now, a sim option for GW would be good also
  • Yes

Nice attempt at an insult but I have plenty of other commitments and still manage to do it without any problems.

Like you said you have 4 hours to complete it in... It takes a max of 5 minutes (usually much less) to do the 2 challenges. So taking 5 minutes every half hour to do the challenges and you will be done with it in 2.5 hours. There is time in between to do whatever else you want to do at home and even have an extra 1.5 hours to get them in if you are particularly busy at home.

OK "fitting them in" aside. Tell me what the timer adds to game play?
  • Yes
    Timers are a big issue with the time demands of this game. I understand them and support them in the arena. Fact of the matter is that a mobile game should be able to be played in your free time, and in the case of timers on challenges you can't complete the set of challenges in a lunch period.

It's odd that the responses to this issue is do other stuff during the timer countdowns. Maybe for some they are simply waiting to do stuff on the game, but for me I'm wanting these things to able to be done in the small time I can set aside for the game.

Honestly the only good thing about GW is that you can work on it consecutively here and there. The idea of "just do some GW battles when the timers are up" is valid, that's what I do, but that's not the point. I want to use the time for challenges but can't. Several times in the past week I haven't even finished the challenges. Even though I can do them on auto. They're not available to finish the limited times I log in so they don't get done.

I don't log in for each free energy either, being on at certain times isn't for me. Now I'm not looking for that to change and I get why it's there, but at least for actual game content you could make it easier to access the modes you want to play when you have time to play them. I mean, you can't even spend crystals to reset those timers!
  • Yes
    Timers are a big issue with the time demands of this game. I understand them and support them in the arena. Fact of the matter is that a mobile game should be able to be played in your free time, and in the case of timers on challenges you can't complete the set of challenges in a lunch period.

It's odd that the responses to this issue is do other stuff during the timer countdowns. Maybe for some they are simply waiting to do stuff on the game, but for me I'm wanting these things to able to be done in the small time I can set aside for the game.

Honestly the only good thing about GW is that you can work on it consecutively here and there. The idea of "just do some GW battles when the timers are up" is valid, that's what I do, but that's not the point. I want to use the time for challenges but can't. Several times in the past week I haven't even finished the challenges. Even though I can do them on auto. They're not available to finish the limited times I log in so they don't get done.

I don't log in for each free energy either, being on at certain times isn't for me. Now I'm not looking for that to change and I get why it's there, but at least for actual game content you could make it easier to access the modes you want to play when you have time to play them. I mean, you can't even spend crystals to reset those timers!

Could not agree more!
  • Yes

It's simply a time restraint that doesn't need to be there. You CAN "fit it in" but what value do the timers add?
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    No
    Literally this entire genre of gaming is based on time gates. This is a pointless question because it will never be changed.
  • Yes
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    Literally this entire genre of gaming is based on time gates. This is a pointless question because it will never be changed.

What do the timers add to this part of the game? Arena battles yes I agree with timers, but challenges why?

If challenges have timers why not GW nodes?
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Yes
    I understand they built timers and cool downs to limit progress so you don't have extreme difference in player levels and progression, HOWEVER, that seems less an issue the longer a game is out. Furthermore, the Challenges can't be refreshed and already have a limit based on the Daily reset, so I don't see a need for the 8-10 minute timer. On Arena, it still makes sense.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Yes
    @BentWookiee you need to look at this. You ask for feedback..take note when the majority speaks
  • Czert
    205 posts Member
    Yes
    I will love to see these studies, and i asume these studies dont take into acount if and/ or how many ( more) customers will be angried by that timer.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Yes
    BentWookiee you need to look at this. You ask for feedback..take note when the majority speaks

Well ummm... not sure 100 votes is a majority, maybe someone should make a thread about it instead of a petition'ish poll.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107