Starter Guilds?

So my wife just got into this game the other day and is in the mid-20s in terms of level. The guild option has opened up already, but I am wondering whether it is worth it for her to join a guild at this time and engage in raid shenanigans, considering that she is starting out. I expect most if not all the guilds out there have members in the late 60s at the least, and that naturally, she will not be able to contribute in any meaningful raids for those guilds for quite some time.

Thus, some questions for the community:

1. Is it sensible for her to just stay out of the guild rotation until she is at least in the higher levels, say past 60? I figure it would slightly better for her to just concentrate on leveling up and improving her toons, the usual beginner road, until she is fully comfortable with the game's tables and mechanics.

2. Are there even any guilds out there that cater to beginners? You know, mid-20s who don't mind running a tier 1 raid? I am tempted to start one myself for her sake and just have her join, and then we run low level raids for a while, with me handling the actual Rancor killing and her chipping in so she gets rewards. Problem being, of course, it'll take forever to accumulate guild coins if it's just us, and the recruitment of low-level players might be tedious. Also, my own progress would be severely hampered since I can't join more than one guild at a time (and I'm the top striker in my guild ATM, modesty aside).

3. What is the low-tier raid experience like, anyway? Even at tier 1 it may just be too difficult, and I don't want any aspect of the game to be discouraging enough for her to stop playing. She really likes the game right now, but her attention span for these kinds of games can be fickle - it's a great bonding point for us and I want her to enjoy everything.

Appreciate your thoughts, folks!

Replies

• JediMasterSavageVic
    110 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I have a guild and we do tier 2 raids, she is welcomed to join. Unfortunately we already progressed from tier 1 to tier 2. We shouldn't be upgrading tiers for a month or two though. She can join and not feel pressured to be rushed and she can ask for any advice on anything. I'm level 78. Only thing is that I would like for her to be on like 2 times a week and contribute during those days as much as she can. At least 400 energy on those days. Basically we have an 800 energy a week quota. You could join as well if you'd like! We are 47/50.
  • @Drew_Fornier Most starter guilds now day cater to new players. They do this with the hopes of those players growing in there guild and one day soon helping them to raid higher tiers. With this in mind her current conditions are not a worry, and in the right guild they will help her learn the game and provide any and all help she may need. When looking/thinking about a guild there is one important question you will need to find out.

Every guild that fits what I mentioned above will fit into 2 categories, a holding place guild and one with aspersions. A holding guild is just looking for there membership numbers and anything that can be provided from a character is a bonus. The problem with these guilds are they tend to prey on the weak, meaning they will use the work you do to profit themselves. Like using the coins you contribute to buy raids that lower level players can not attend, this assures higher rewards for them. New guilds with aspersions of say T7 raids is a guild that will guild and push a character to get the best out of them in hopes that they improve. Most of these guilds has limited patients and will soon boot players who don't measure up as the guild grows stronger.

Joining a guild is all about community, trying to find like minded people to hang out with as you play and progress throughout the game. Finding the right fit can often be difficult and if you plan on going this route I would ask question to the leader/recruiter.

After saying all of this I will tell you that I started a start up guild a few days ago. While we are new we are slowly growing in numbers. Trying to find like minded people to join, not doing a free for all. If you might be interested let me know, would be happy to talk to you.
  • I have a guild with just kids and me. We did a tier 2 raid and I could have solo'd it at level 78 so I did a couple rounds and then let the rest complete it. We had a dad join for a bit. He was at level 40 and he got demolished in the raid. He could barely do damage. The kids at level 70 with sporadically trained toons found it fun and could do damage.

At level 22 she's not going to do much damage BUT if she participates she at least gets rewards. It's worth it to at least get some Rey shards at a minimum.

And yes there are beginner guilds out there. I'm sure her daily contribution would be appreciated in a low level guild. The dad I mentioned joined a better guild once he leveled up a bit. It was understandable. You're not stuck in a low level guild if you start there.
  • You could check the guilds forum here for a casual guild. I was planning to start my own, but stumbled on one there while I was trying to think up a name for mine.
  • Definitely worth it to have her join a guild. Even if it's a low level guild, there's a lot of benefits that come from being in a guild that will help her out.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    Join a guild. Even last place gets gear and currency.
    She knows going on that she won't be getting top placement and the Guild accepting her should also not expect a big contribution.

If she is playing everday she will advance at a decent pace.
  • Thanks @JediMasterSavageVic @Dekayingsoul am very interested, thanks for the guild pitches, just let me know how I can find your guilds and I will discuss these with her tonight. Given how enthusiastic she is about the game right now I think 800 coins per week is more than doable. :)
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    She should do the highest tier she can participate in. Rewards are better.
  • JediMasterSavageVic
    110 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Just click on my name and I have some posts regarding the guild. My guild name is fairy tail and we do raids three times a week. Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Let me know her ally code through pm then i'll add her and send her an invite to the guild! :D