Is ST Han a poor pairing with Akbar lead right now?

Prev1
orange12
53 posts Member
I'm toying with building an Akbar team and it seems like Akbar's leader ability works directly against ST Han's strengths right now. Am I correct in this assessment?

For one, I want to keep Han's taunt on for as long as possible, so speed up is not a good thing. But more importantly, having Han assist on a non-attacking ability use takes away a turn from another rebel like HRS who can hit a lot harder.

Any Akbar teams out there who can speak to this? Do you run ST Han on your team anyways because there's a benefit I'm not seeing? Thanks.

Replies

• Options
    The benefit is that ST Han gets to taunt earlier. He usually doesn't survive the taunt, anyway.

I'm not sure about how the dynamic of the rebel team works so I don't know if Han's a liability or not as far as being called for assists. His turn meter gains might outweigh the damage lost from a higher damage attacker being called for assists. Plus, he has an amazing non-attacking ability that will call an assist.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Options
    The only way it is bad is if you have a non-lead QGJ on the other side. With no other factors (ie HRS team TM boost) the timing works out that QGJ will go immediately after the taunt. Which means the taunt eats a single attack if the debuff hits.

Otherwise it's one of the best pairings in the game.
  • aGlint
    54 posts Member
    Options
    I run Ackbar (L), Rey, Leia, ST Han, RG

Long story short, he's awesome with RG since it gives the enemy some really tough choices. Another guy on my shard has the same team except instead of Han, he uses Poe/QGJ/Lumi. Consensus on our shard says my team is more difficult to face, and I sit at #1 most of the day.
  • orange12
    53 posts Member
    Options
    aGlint wrote: »
    I run Ackbar (L), Rey, Leia, ST Han, RG

Long story short, he's awesome with RG since it gives the enemy some really tough choices. Another guy on my shard has the same team except instead of Han, he uses Poe/QGJ/Lumi. Consensus on our shard says my team is more difficult to face, and I sit at #1 most of the day.

This is very much the team I imagine putting together. I think RG is a really important link that brings this team together. He's the catch-all for protecting everyone long enough so they can do their thing. Being F2P, I would have to use HRS instead of Leia. Otherwise, this is a nightmare to face either way.
  • Options
    I'm currently running a 4/5 Rebel team with Ackbar lead: AA, Luke, St Han, Biggs, FOTP. All L76-78, gear VIII-IX with gear X on Luke and Omega on Luke and Ackbar basics. Currently building up HR Scout to round out the team. I generally place around 25 when I'm done climbing the ladder, have no problems until I start running into Rey, RG, QGJ teams.
    For me, St Han is indispensable. TM gain vs Dooku and/or Fives is excellent. The speed increase from Ackbar is great so he gets the taunt early, and 3 turns is generally plenty to make the difference. He often doesn't survive through the whole period, so it doesn't matter that his turns go by faster.
    QGJ can be a problem. Rebels get a number of passive buffs, so QGJ is likely to buff up his team at some point unless you take him out. So generally target him first and wait to taunt until he is gone. If there is a higher threat (Rey), I will try to eliminate her first which usually means offense up for the rest of his team. If RG is there and stops you from finishing Rey, hold your breath.
    As far as assist attacks go, Biggs or Luke theoretically get 67% of those and I can live with that. When HR Scout is ready, 75% of assists should be someone other than Han. You should be able to live with those odds. Besides, Han can deal considerable damage, sometimes. As it plays, it seems like Luke gets the assist more often than not, which is fine by me.
  • Options
    He is a necessary piece in the Ackabar lead turn meter combo.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    Options
    I'm building a rebel team : ackbar lead, lando, leia, han. Unfortunately the only toon on light side that gives defense up to everyone is hoth rebel soldier, and he's hard to farm.
    I think Han goes well with ackbar lead.

But if u are going to arena, then RG is a perfect fit.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Han and Ackbar go together like pb&jelly

WE2Fbo5.jpg
  • Options
    Han and Ackbar go together like pb&jelly

WE2Fbo5.jpg

Everyone can just save their time in the discussion and scroll to this pic, lmao
  • Jedi2407
    782 posts Member
    Options
    About 90% of my top arena teams runs QGJ. STH almost never gets to run the course with his taunt. If he makes it to the end of his taunt still alive, then you've won regardless of whether he has speed up or not.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It is not unusual for a battle to last long enough for han to get his second taunt off after he is debuffed. Esp when he gets omega.

Id say speed plus omega might make him more viable, not less. Plus higher speed means a lumi heal goes off like a machine gun. Yeah i still run lumi on some of my squads. If ackbar and han are pb and j, i feel like lumi is.... nutella?

When the heal comes just in time, and han lives to get the next two rounds of healing, it is insane. All it takes is a dodge or two of the heavy hitters, or some weak counter attackers, and han can actually get a 3 turn taunt off and survive. This is bad news for the other team.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    It is not unusual for a battle to last long enough for han to get his second taunt off after he is debuffed. Esp when he gets omega.

Id say speed plus omega might make him more viable, not less. Plus higher speed means a lumi heal goes off like a machine gun. Yeah i still run lumi on some of my squads. If ackbar and han are pb and j, i feel like lumi is.... nutella?

When the heal comes just in time, and han lives to get the next two rounds of healing, it is insane. All it takes is a dodge or two of the heavy hitters, or some weak counter attackers, and han can actually get a 3 turn taunt off and survive. This is bad news for the other team.

My Han survives long enough to use his second taunt almost every fight without a heal and by then the match is already over. Sorry but I don't understand your reference to Lumi's heal going off like a machine gun? @LastJedi
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options

My Han survives long enough to use his second taunt almost every fight without a heal and by then the match is already over. Sorry but I don't understand your reference to Lumi's heal going off like a machine gun? @LastJedi
    The TM up by han making her faster

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lumi heal on the next two rounds. If the first heal fills his bar, he usually lives to get at least the next rd of healing. Because of the TM, he gets his next turn faster than usual, even though he is focus fired this means only 3 hits or so from the enemy. Not all fivish.

With some luck, or if he is overgeared for the opposition, of if the other team has a lot of light hitters or double hitter like dooku, this secondary heal can possibly get him by into the third heal. Or at least give him a couple more hits.

When paired with ben L, this is almost likely. If AI is too dumb to stun ben. The block debuff of ben makes the enemy hit han with pool noodles.

On offense anyway, there are matches where my han makes a second taunt (if he was debuffed) and i have plenty of fighting left. 5555s, RG, and Sunfac. Or in fights against another han where both got detaunted. Usually this is a mistake on my part, but it does happen. I imagine with ack lead and omega taunt it could be legit.

What i dont understand is how your han USUALLY lives through his taunt with no heal? That is a good trick. Old ben? RG?
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    RU486 wrote: »

The TM up by han making her faster

I was just confused by the way it was worded, "plus higher speed," but I guess the TM gain does make her faster after all.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Because of the TM, he gets his next turn faster than usual.

Han only gets TM from using his basic though so by the time he gets the second heal it would be his third turn, if you haven't taken out all the DPS by his third turn you might be in trouble.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Unless he is stunned he will use his basic while taunting. That isnhisnonly option for the next 5 turns. So he will get a chance to gain more tm.

Also Han gets tm when he is hit. It gives his whole team tm. So han turns into savage as far as his tm is concerned. Lumi is faster so she is johnny onnthe spot on her heal. Han is faster, so he gets his secondary heal, at least. Sometimes the third. And in the blink of an eye, his 3 turn taunt is over in what feels like 3 turns for hans team. One and a half turns for the other side.

Hannalso has a 25 percent chance of removing tm from the enemy on each of his turns, so the faster he is the more likely he will survive. Or give your team more attacks. Regardless if you use lumi.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Han is ridiculous. He is balanced on a knife edge. Depending on his gear and opposition he isbreally op or really mediocre.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Han gets tm when he is hit. It gives his whole team tm.

Han only gives other allies TM when damaged, the only way he gains TM is by using his basic.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry, you are right. Han has a 25% chance to reduce enemy turn meter by 10% whenever he is hit! This is effectively the same thing, but it's not nearly as much TM.

Either way, he almost always gets the secondary heal, IME. This is 20% more health, effectively. And depending on luck and situation, he can live all the way through, esp with a ben Lead.

Ben lead means he gains TM when he dodges, too.

Han is a wizard and his kit is ridiculous. 25% chance to remove 30% turn meter from each enemy on each of his turns, passively? I haven't really paid attention to see if this actually works, but this sounds like it would be a leader skill, not a unique!

Disclaimer, I don't even have Ben, yet. But I have fought this team, and if you make the mistake of not dealing with Ben, this is a doozy. Especially if you try to beat down Han off the bat, and he dodges and goes next.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry, you are right. Han has a 25% chance to reduce enemy turn meter by 10% whenever he is hit!

Either way, he almost always gets the secondary heal, IME. And depending on luck and situation, he can live all the way through, esp with a ben Lead.

Ben lead means he gains TM when he dodges, too.

This is the second time you've brought up Ben, you realize this is an Ackbar plus Han thread right? Haha
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yeah, sure. Faster speed mean he gets more chances to reduce enemy TM. And it means he gets to use more of his basic to gain TM. Which means he is more survivable. Esp with a lumi or an old ben to ability block.

So yes, Ackbar lead plus Han is good. Even getting his taunt off faster, aside.

Hahahaha!
  • 9Fingers
    21 posts Member
    Options
    I've been looking at this setup too however wouldn't Hans speed with Akbar mean that the enemy Qui-Gon would just take your taunt straight off? Kind of takes away from one of the main benefits if you have to wait a turn to taunt.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    On offense sometime i have to wait until one or two opponents are dead even, vefore han taunts. Sometimes i am killing two debuffers before dropping the han bomb.

I have no idea why my han team doesnt drop like a rock on defense. It holds just as good as anything else. I think han works even when he isbdetaunted maybe because of his Bluff passive. Or maybe my server is just noob. First time u incorrectly fight a decent han setup can be intimidating.
  • thee_pdx
    302 posts Member
    Options
    interesting last jedi, i have just 7*d sthan, and while i still need to gear and ability him up a bit, i dropped about 40 places overnight. i did really well on offence fwiw.

With lumi lead, and admittedly (6*) daka instead of sthan, i usually only drop about 10-15. im around 110-60ish usually.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    9Fingers wrote: »
    I've been looking at this setup too however wouldn't Hans speed with Akbar mean that the enemy Qui-Gon would just take your taunt straight off? Kind of takes away from one of the main benefits if you have to wait a turn to taunt.

You don't have to use his taunt right away. You should always be paying attention to everyone's turn meter when planning your attacks, it's simple strategy.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yeah, maybe it is my server. If i look at the 30 teams behind me, (after i wake up and drop to 20-30) they can all easily beat me. But they dont have what it takes to beat the top 5 teams anyway. (From what i can see). So dunno.

Also when ur used to beating rg teams and u have enough rg teams to beat in your 5 battles, you might avoid han just because he is different. I know i did for a little while.

So i would say my server is newer or less competetive than yours. But i will be switching in a better defensive team if need be. Things are alsways chang8ng fast. Right now i can climb back to top ten usually without a refresh and even take top spot with a refresh if the stars align. It is a crab crawl in the last hour.

The only team i havent been able to beat is a lvl80 jedi team with 4 omegas. And JE droid squads. (I do some subbing for poe poggle droids) And my higest toon is 73, no omegas. Offense good ya. On your server theres maybe nothing new under the sun. :(for defense maybe put in dooku. Ai seems to target qgj frequently)
    Post edited by LastJedi on
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Because of the TM, he gets his next turn faster than usual.

Han only gets TM from using his basic though so by the time he gets the second heal it would be his third turn, if you haven't taken out all the DPS by his third turn you might be in trouble.

FYI the reason why HRS is invaluable with the Akbar/Han pairing is that HRS can give his entire team TM. The typical AI sequence:

HRS fires his special. If it crits he gets 100% TM and immediately fires his basic. With Omega there is a 40% chance that his basic gives everyone on his squad TM. This grants Han TM allowing him to taunt.

If QGJ is on the other team it is even possible that HRS crit and stunned QGJ and if not other characters like Phasma with the HRS TM boost will go prior to QGJ dispelling Han's taunt. Note that each time Han is taunt he gives HRS more TM and when HRS uses that TM on his basic he gives even more TM. It is a true cascade.

HRS is the straw that stirs the drink.
  • PrimeTime
    111 posts Member
    Options
    I run a AA Lead, Leia, Han, FOST, and 5s. Sometimes I'll switch 5s with Lumni .... I'll probably do that more often after the 5s nerf.

Depending on my opponent, I normally
    Leia Attack
    Han Taunt
    FOST Defense Up + assist from AA, Han, or Leia.
    AA Tactical Genius which prompts a Leia or HAN Assist.
    Leia Stealth and get 100% turn meter.
    Leia attack with 25% chance of critical hit + chance for offense up

Most of the time, my opponent get 1 hit in before all of this happens.