What if 'Ability Block' blocked auto-abilities?

Prev1
Powda
525 posts Member
This is just a healthy discussion, no need for lighting of torches or sharpening of pitchforks...

There is an obvious application for this, it would stop RG from auto-taunting. Is that game-breaking for RG? Is it too powerful? Does it create a slippery slope for other effects that can automatically get applied that would otherwise be applied by a special ability?

Just food for thought, seeing as how RG rises above the rest of the pack primarily for his ability to get around ability block / stun / -TM with his auto-taunt, whereas every other taunt in the game is subject to those weaknesses.

Feel free to discuss. :smile:

Replies

• Teague
    939 posts Member
    Good way to minimize doodge leads. I like this idea.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    I would bet that a toon that can block passive abilities from being used for one turn will be released. Ability block is for active abilities and should remain so.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    A toon able to block passive abilities would definitely be powerful sounds like a fun idea.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Nightsister Initiate is the toon you are looking for.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    ZarLatho wrote: »

Does she block passives?
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    darkensoul wrote: »

Does she block passives?

No. She only stop buffs from activation in a character. Thus RG can't taunt. But she's so inconsistent with it, it's practically useless.
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited May 2016

Does she block passives?

No she does not.

All she has is this: Deal Physcial damage to target enemy with a 60% chance to render the target immune to positive status effects for 2 turns.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    His taunt is a positive status effect, so he will taunt but the buff will not take hold. The real problem is the entire match is in the hands of the RNG. Either you hit that debuff at 60% or you lose the fight.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    Teague wrote: »

Does she block passives?

No. She only stop buffs from activation in a character. Thus RG can't taunt. But she's so inconsistent with it, it's practically useless.

Ah, yes. Indeed
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Powda wrote: »
    This is just a healthy discussion, no need for lighting of torches or sharpening of pitchforks...

There is an obvious application for this, it would stop RG from auto-taunting. Is that game-breaking for RG? Is it too powerful? Does it create a slippery slope for other effects that can automatically get applied that would otherwise be applied by a special ability?

The way to mitigate this is make RG your first target, get him before he can become a problem. Yeah he has a deep health pool, but blocking anything is so much of a gimmick it's not worth even attempting. You are taking one of your active actions to have a CHANCE to block one of theirs..

Only time I block is when its AOE, like HK-47, Old Ben, and Jedi Knight Guardian. That's why I play them, but they don't block passive either but if you block OTHER people from doing damage while you take on RG this would make RG much easier to deal with.

So if you had teams identical would it be a 50 / 50 chance? I don't think so, it all comes down to some strategy.. so how do those people get around RG auto taunt, they must have a way to deal with it.

• ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Rgs strength is also a weakness.
    He can't taunt on his own. He has to be triggered. A wise player can use that to their advantage.
  • Powda
    525 posts Member

Does she block passives?

That's right!!! What an under-utilized ability! Then COMPLETELY ignore that whole thing about ability block...

We should have more buff immunity in the game.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited May 2016

Just food for thought, seeing as how RG rises above the rest of the pack primarily for his ability to get around ability block / stun / -TM with his auto-taunt, whereas every other taunt in the game is subject to those weaknesses.

nah they will never do it. Look at sun fac who's supposed to be the counter to rg with his dispel on his basic. Yes, he can dispel every turn with his basic,and has a great kit that allows him to taunt,counter,heal and apply crit down. Expect every decent counter to meta toons to be locked behind a pay wall.

btw if you can't figure a way past RG then don't expect to rank higher. Most shards have a fair proportion of RGs or have dealt with Rg teams on multiple occasions. Everyone beats everyone,RG or not, except for the whale teams with good setups.
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    @Jedi_Yoda , @ChefHaze

I run droids... I really only know of one way to deal with RG :smile:

The topic wasn't a "help me deal with RG" as I do a pretty decent job of handling him, it was more about considering ability block and it's role in the game.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Probably. I don't know who provides this other than NI, but there must be somebody. It's a real one-trick pony, though. If you're counting on it as an essential part of your strategy to get past RG you might as well retreat when it fails to land.
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    Zekex wrote: »

nah they will never do it. Look at sun fac who's supposed to be the counter to rg with his dispel on his basic. Yes, he can dispel every turn with his basic,and has a great kit that allows him to taunt,counter,heal and apply crit down. Expect every decent counter to meta toons to be locked behind a pay wall.

btw if you can't figure a way past RG then don't expect to rank higher. Most shards have a fair proportion of RGs or have dealt with Rg teams on multiple occasions. Everyone beats everyone,RG or not, except for the whale teams with good setups.

@Zekex

:smile: Not every post that mentions a character is a 'please nerf, I can't git gud' post. I don't have a problem with RG.

I agree with you about Sun Fac, though. The very best will most likely be behind pay walls for some time and I understand this. Not what the thread was about, mind you.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    Anikan
  • kaleb314
    146 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    That's a pretty cool idea. What if there also was a toon with a leader ability that negates the other teams leader ability?
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Probably OP as a passive leader ability.
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member

Does she block passives?

That's right!!! What an under-utilized ability! Then COMPLETELY ignore that whole thing about ability block...

We should have more buff immunity in the game.
    @Jedi_Yoda , @ChefHaze

I run droids... I really only know of one way to deal with RG :smile:

The topic wasn't a "help me deal with RG" as I do a pretty decent job of handling him, it was more about considering ability block and it's role in the game.

There you go, there is a character that can do it, it's a different ability. My point is that there are already numerous ways to deal with his taunt, and ability block or stun is not one of them.
  • Naugrin
    686 posts Member
    Probably. I don't know who provides this other than NI, but there must be somebody. It's a real one-trick pony, though. If you're counting on it as an essential part of your strategy to get past RG you might as well retreat when it fails to land.

Anakin
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    I think passive block of uniques and leaders would be very complicated to code in and likely too powerful.

I'd like to see buff immunity expanded to more toons. Being able to block Rey from gaining foresight or RG from gaining taunt or everyone from gaining Oup if it was an AOE.

I think there is space for a toon or multiple toons like that.

• Powda
    525 posts Member
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    I think passive block of uniques and leaders would be very complicated to code in and likely too powerful.

I'd like to see buff immunity expanded to more toons. Being able to block Rey from gaining foresight or RG from gaining taunt or everyone from gaining Oup if it was an AOE.

I think there is space for a toon or multiple toons like that.

It'd be a great way to give currently underused toons more in their kit to make them more desireable. Seems like a WIN-WIN situation.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Naugrin wrote: »

Anakin

You are saying Anakin isnt useless? Interesting. I agree.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member

Anakin

He has a higher potency too.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Yeah, NI potency makes me sad.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Toukai wrote: »

Anakin

You just spent all morning arguing with me that he is useless...
    Have you changed your position?
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Timitock wrote: »

Anakin

I never said he was useless. You keep using that term. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Did you know, Turtles only leave the sea for short periods of time to lay eggs and troll forum posts?
    Turtle facts!
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member

Anakin

OP, i am sorry @Timitock got off topic for a personal attack, but I want to prove him wrong and hopefully show him why everyone thinks he is a troll. He says I said Anakin is "useless." The correct terminology was:
    He does a lot of good debuffs, but hits pretty weak. He does get OU when a friend dies, but with all the Jedi hate rolling around I think he is more of a liability. He is pure damage, and doesn't really add a support/debuff role like QGJ does. He also doesnt help keep people alive or spread buffs via your team.
    He is great on a jedi-only team, but QGJ/Yoda fill their roles and any more jedi (even good/subpar ones) will just draw jedi-hate your way.
  • Toukai wrote: »

Anakin

OP, i am sorry @Timitock got off topic for a personal attack, but I want to prove him wrong and hopefully show him why everyone thinks he is a troll. He says I said Anakin is "useless." The correct terminology was:
    He does a lot of good debuffs, but hits pretty weak. He does get OU when a friend dies, but with all the Jedi hate rolling around I think he is more of a liability. He is pure damage, and doesn't really add a support/debuff role like QGJ does. He also doesnt help keep people alive or spread buffs via your team.
    He is great on a jedi-only team, but QGJ/Yoda fill their roles and any more jedi (even good/subpar ones) will just draw jedi-hate your way.

If you haven't noticed, that is the definition of useless to sheep and trolls.