Stop nerfing characters until a better system is in place.

Prev1
medetec
1571 posts Member
Yep, it's time for another "copy Blizzard Entertainment" post.

Given the time and or money involved in acquiring content, anything that impacts that content in a negative way is let's say... unkind to players who invested in it. Yes, to keep the game healthy there will have to be balance change, this is the way of online games. However, these balance changes don't have to be so punishing to the player. There are plenty of examples but I will use this one. Enter Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, an online collection / card game by Blizzard.

Hearthstone has a similar collection mechanic in that getting content takes a large amount of time and or money, and Hearthstone also does semi frequent balance passes. The difference is that Hearthsone has a robust crafting system in place, and when a card is nerfed, for two weeks that card can be deconstructed into the components required to make an equally powerful card. Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes needs a system like this, and it needs it badly.

The SW:GoH shard shop could make this a real possibility, it just needs to be much more robust. It should offer all non-chromium / special (ie Vader/Han at the moment) characters in unlimited shard quantities. Characters should have a "disassemble" option at all times to destroy a character and return 1/4 of all credits spent on the character, shard shop currency equivalent to the ability to purchase 1/4 of the scrapped shards (also the shard conversion rate should be buffed to 1/4 to match this instead of the current 1/10), and all gear would be returned to the player inventory. When a character is nerfed, they should have a 100% efficiency disassemble active for 2 weeks after the nerf, allowing players holding nerfed characters to scrap them for 100% of the shards as shard shop currency and return 100% of the credits spent plus all gear to the player inventory.

A much more robust shard shop and a system to deal with disassembling characters allows for needed balance changes without hurting players.

tldr; I'm suggesting that when a character is nerfed, for two weeks players are given the option to scrap that character into components, returning all gear used and credits spent to the player inventory and giving the player shard shop currency equivalent to the shards used on the character. Also a more roust shard shop. Until such time that a system is in place, characters should not be nerfed.

Replies

• Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Wow yes!
  • SinCrux
    83 posts Member
    Revert Fives!!!
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    I forgot to mention in my opening post, but Hearthstone pulls in about $20 million US every month. Being kind to your players doesn't mean giving up on revenue, it might actually generate revenue.
  • Drealgrin
    3 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    This is EA we are talking about. The "we do the bare minimum industry standard and nothing else" for customers company.
  • Couldn't agree more. Brilliant and logical idea that makes complete sense.
  • mull_to_3
    32 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Something needs to be done. I would feel sick if I maxed-out a character and then found out it was nerfed within a week. I even had a friend quit (uninstall) due to the recent change to Fives despite my effort to convince him otherwise.

Please have a 'radar' of sorts to indicate who could be nerfed so we, as players, could knowingly assume the risk rather than have a ninja (SURPRISE!) nerf. Nerfing without any warning feels so archaic and ham-fisted in today's gaming environment. There are so many tools to spread information!

Something easy like a Red/Yellow, aka Danger/Caution, status to indicate "definitely watching character's performance" vs "we may start watching character's performance". Of course, my verbiage doesn't need to be used exactly but we should have something to use as an information radiator (Big Visible Chart) regarding over-performing AND under-performing characters.
  • In a game where it takes months to max out a toon, they should definitely NOT be nerfing those toons. No game should ever be punishing players for putting in that sort of effort.
    I suggest they revert all nerfs since the game launched (especially nerfs to characters like Barriss, FOTP, GS, Yoda, and several others) these characters pre nerf would not even be OP in the current protection meta. They'd just add more variety to the game.

Instead of nerfing they should be buffing/reworking the weaker toons to bring them more in line with the stronger toons. Like they did with RG.
  • Nightlores
    1608 posts Member
    Wasn't fives fixed, not nerfed?
  • Ace5
    134 posts Member
    I understand that some toons need balancing but also agree that neutering a toon is a huge waste of: CREDITS, GEAR, TIME and sometimes MONEY for the paying customer.

Balancing should be done by introducing counters rather than neutering a character to uselessness. If that's not possible then yes some sort of compensation or "ungearing" should be available
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    This isn't specifically about Fives. This is an ongoing problem that's going to continue to be a problem until something is done about it. The game isn't going to hit a point where its perfectly balanced, there will always need to be updates for as long as the game lasts. It's the nature of this kind of game, not a knock on GoH.

The idea is to put a system in place the lets you make those needed balance changes, bug fixes, etc. without punishing the player base for playing the game.
  • unit900000
    626 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    mull_to_3 wrote: »
    I even had a friend quit (uninstall) due to the recent change to Fives despite my effort to convince him otherwise.
    So he quit because an op character got nerfed... just wow. I bet he all so pre crafted lmao.

Honestly this system you speak of is nothing but a tool to silence the complaniners. Hope nothing like that ever makes it to this game you should know there are risks when farming a certent character.
  • This thread is right on. If the game designers see no way out of a situation but to nerf a character, after players have invested time, money, in-game resources, etc., for that character, they have to have a solution to make affected players whole. If they don't, it makes players angry and prevents them from investing further time and money into the game for fear of this happening again. No one wins by simply saying "tough luck."
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    It is a massive pain, I'm not a cry baby who pays to win, I just pay dolphin change to have fun when I'm bored, it is a bit weird to think you could buy a car from a company then they come round your house in the middle of the night and remove some features from it and just ignore you when you're annoyed the next day because you can't open your windows lol
  • Spot on, why invest money into something that might turn out useless in a month or two?

BTW, before you buy anything with crystals, remember this rule of thumb 110 crystals = $1. You can buy a full game in the app store for the price of 10 character shards :o
  • BradBread
    113 posts Member
    Nightlores wrote: »
    Wasn't fives fixed, not nerfed?

I agree he was fixed and not nerfed, however, if EA/CG could spend 8 seconds actually thinking about how to word a description this wouldn't have been an issue. Also, if someone there ever responded to the players on these issues, this could be avoided. Oh and if they were able to resolve issue in a timely manner, this wouldn't be a problem. Basically if this wasn't run by "Captain I don't care about my customer" EA and "Admiral I consistently put out shoddy work" CG, this probably could have been avoided.
  • Dev_Str
    137 posts Member
    It's not about one character or another.

In the current state of the game, you have lots of very hard to obtain resources : omegas and unobtainium. Add to this lots on more easy obtainables but also valuable resources like credits, purple gear, or purple mats. Now it will take you WEEKS of play to max a single character.

People will have to plan their progress, and think wisely where to put those precious resources. So nerfing any character is now completely disrespectful for their paying or non-paying customers.

Also we can understand that sometime the game could need some balance. So please give us an option to turn back a character to level one, with a fair amount of the gear, credit, omegas, mats, that we needed to level him up. Not the entirety to avoid exploitation of it, and because we gained someting by playing the character before nerf, but at least 75% of it.
  • Faroer
    246 posts Member
    Hearthstone is a Really good example! lots of players really want to see this game succeed. It would be amazing if the Devs listened and worked to incorporate the energy and suggested changes. There is a lot of strong signal in this forum, despite the all the. Noise...
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    OR

Don't invest in the meta heroes who are the most likely to be nerfed.
    Some heroes are blatantly overpowered, and are widely used.

Nerfs are the best way to ensure balance. When a character is too powerful, it gets nerfed and it's the right thing to do.
    That's always been the case in every game.

A nerf doesn't mean the character completely falls out of viability. Some nerfs are healthy and only reduce the amount of unneeded power.

YES, it takes time to build a character. But most people don't think about the long-term health of the game. Nerfs open new possibilities and create diversity.
  • Nicol_Bolas
    375 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Sikho wrote: »
    OR

Don't invest in the meta heroes who are the most likely to be nerfed.
    Some heroes are blatantly overpowered, and are widely used.

Nerfs are the best way to ensure balance. When a character is too powerful, it gets nerfed and it's the right thing to do.
    That's always been the case in every game.

A nerf doesn't mean the character completely falls out of viability. Some nerfs are healthy and only reduce the amount of unneeded power.

YES, it takes time to build a character. But most people don't think about the long-term health of the game. Nerfs open new possibilities and create diversity.

While that is true, it is poor practice to use a character's current power to entice your players to spend money/resources and then proceed to nerf the character once most players get that character.

Imagine if Sun Fac and Echo were nerfed after players spent 1K to max them. Sure, they are crazy strong (even op?), but that's exactly what EA is using to sell the chromiums. If they intentionally made a character OP to sell packs, only to nerf them later on, they are essentially cheating their customers.
  • medetec wrote: »
    tldr; I'm suggesting that when a character is nerfed, for two weeks players are given the option to scrap that character into components, returning all gear used and credits spent to the player inventory and giving the player shard shop currency equivalent to the shards used on the character.

They could do that. Or, they could just take all your time and money, give you nothing in return, and tell you to go **** yourself.
    Which option do you think back-to-back "Most Hated Company in America" award-winner EA will choose?
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    I already lost my faith in this "company". They don't give 2 **** about their customers. They just keep nerfing the toons people invest time in, especially now. Don't tell me that Fives was a bug fix, they could have just changed his description, can't imagine it was intended to only double shoot when speed down was applied. This is too difficult for a company that tests nothing. It was just another crybaby on this forum asking for a nerf.

Old Ben, Dooku, Rey and QGJ are next. I wonder how long I will endure before deleting this app. Touch Rey and I'm out with full 6 months refunds. Done with companies that treat their customers like total ****
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    CronozNL wrote: »
    I already lost my faith in this "company". They don't give 2 **** about their customers. They just keep nerfing the toons people invest time in, especially now. Don't tell me that Fives was a bug fix, they could have just changed his description, can't imagine it was intended to only double shoot when speed down was applied. This is too difficult for a company that tests nothing. It was just another crybaby on this forum asking for a nerf.

Old Ben, Dooku, Rey and QGJ are next. I wonder how long I will endure before deleting this app. Touch Rey and I'm out with full 6 months refunds. Done with companies that treat their customers like total ****

Only way you would get a refund for 6 months is if you committed fraud to do it. That's a crime of moral turptitude.

Kind of whacky to expect anyone to feel sorry for someone threatening criminal action because they are **** over a video game.
  • Don't look for them to do you any favors while simultaneously lowering their chance to drain your wallet. If they give you back the components they can't sell you new components.
  • > Don't look for them to do you any favors while simultaneously lowering their chance to drain your wallet. If they give you back the components they can't sell you new components.

INFINITY+
  • > They just keep nerfing the toons people invest time in, especially now.

Yet you got <fill-in-your-own-colorful-adjectives-here> tripping over themselves to 7*, max out, gear out, omega out Echo!!!

I say CG is brilliant b/c <fill-in-your-own-colorful-adjectives-here> keep feeding the monster w/an insatiable appetite ..
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Something like this would be nice... it would also be nice if they'd change the way the shard count works on un-promoted toons to say "max/30" instead of "580/30" so that we can convert the excess shards without having to promote...
  • > They could do that. Or, they could just take all your time and money, give you nothing in return, and tell you to go **** yourself.

ROFLMAO ...
  • > Don't invest in the meta heroes who are the most likely to be nerfed.

FFS genius .. think b4 you type ... please tell us who these heroes most likely to be nerfed ? ....

the problem ain't the gamers .. the problem is the **** model.

> Some heroes are blatantly overpowered, and are widely used.

And who's fault is it to make such heroes so blatantly OP to begin with ? Us gamers ? Did you get a say in the meta design ? Yeah, THINK before you type ...

> Nerfs are the best way to ensure balance. When a character is too powerful, it gets nerfed and it's the right thing to do.

FFS ... all i can say is THINK before you type ... nerfing ONCE in AWHILE is FINE. Nerfing every other f*k*g day is a kin to using a bandaid on a shotgun wound ...

> That's always been the case in every game.

FFS ... stop typing and THINK ... "the case in EVERY GAME ?" ...

> A nerf doesn't mean the character completely falls out of viability. Some nerfs are healthy and only reduce the amount of unneeded power.

U think genius ? ... 5s will be going on the bench .. FUNNY that 5s is nerf ALMOST about the same time Echo is available on chromium .... ROFLMAO .. brilliant CG .. JUST BRILLIANT

> YES, it takes time to build a character. But most people don't think about the long-term health of the game. Nerfs open new possibilities and create diversity.

Hahahahaha, u a big picture thinkier .. i am glad .. one piece of advice tho .. THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE ...
  • 0neHellOfAPilot
    41 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    > I just pay dolphin change to have fun when I'm bored, it is a bit weird to think you could buy a car from a company then they come round your house in the middle of the night and remove some features from it and just ignore you when you're annoyed the next day because you can't open your windows lol

brilliant Hobnob ... this is a hilarious analogy for the ignoramus and the blatant apologists. if the apologists are on CG/EA's payroll, i have nothing against someone doing their job. but just don't insult our intelligence too much ..

but for those who are just gamers and u can't see this &^%@show .. i feel very, very sorry for you ...
  • I want my omega back.. its useless now.. it worked as it was intended and now u destroyed it.. unbelievable..
This discussion has been closed.