The Cost of Pay-Exclusive Heroes

So... I'm curious. How much would one have to spend, on average, to seven-star a pay-only hero?

I'd guess somewhere in the nature of $2000. Along the way, of course, you'd probably get all of them to at least 5-star; most would hit 6-star. But that seems like an exercise in absurdity.

I have a lot of disposable income, and I'd love to toss upwards of $200-300 dollars at this game if I could get a guaranteed 7-star hero. But $2000+? That's... well, absurd.

So I really hope EA reconsiders their pricing schemes. It'd be great to see a feature where you could buy shards for pay-exclusive characters after acquiring them in Chromium packs. We're not cheap, EA, but we're reasonable. I'd like to be a small 'whale', but you're really killing any incentive for me to spend. There's nothing I can buy in this game that's better than the 7-star squad I can farm, *unless* I spend an amount in the thousands.

Replies

• Get my account been playing for 33 days and almost all characters unlocked. I enjoyed the game but real life takes priority!! If u are interested name on Line is - Huckleberry
  • It depends on the charcter really. For example I almost have cad bane 7 star, but have only pulled maul once. I've pulled leia and qui gon a lot and have them at high stars. I've heard of someone spending $7000 for maul 7*
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    bleeaauuh wrote: »
    I've heard of someone spending $7000 for maul 7*

If that's really true, it's a serious issue....one that if not brought under control will without a doubt kill this game. Your average well adjusted person will lol and delete this game once they realize that they're unable to obtain anything except for the cookie cutter toons that are capable of being reasonably farmed.

I genuinely feel this game is on the cusp. It could either be massively successful in the long term sense, or an abysmal failure like Star Wars Commander and SWtOR. If the cost of IAP isn't seriously addressed soon people will move on to the next mobile game.

I've yet to see any discussion or engage anyone in dialogue from EA/CG about this. I love this game and see the massive potential it has. But I've already started playing other mobile games and begun to drift away from playing this one. :(

I have already sunk enough money into this game, for an embarrassingly small return. However, that's pretty much over. As things are, I'd have to choose between my mortgage and this game. Mortgage wins.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    I am a pay player and I hate the prices but other games are worse, this game will never die because of iap there will always be people that buy this post will in no way change EA iap prices lol
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Dario wrote: »
    I am a pay player and I hate the prices but other games are worse, this game will never die because of iap there will always be people that buy this post will in no way change EA iap prices lol

Have you played Star Wars Commander or Force Collection? They are ghost towns of dead/abandoned accounts. These games take VERY little in resources to keep physically running with minimal support compared to PC games. The few die hard whales left are enough to justify keeping the servers up.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    This is the first Star Wars game I have played so I can't comment on the others but if the prices were reduced everyone would buy and get all the toons and then what?. I believe a sale on crystals or packs now and again would be far better for the game.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    They'll be constantly adding more toons and increasing the level cap. There will never not be a reason to buy something. Normal, well adjusted, people will not spend $7000+ for a virtual toon, especially knowing their might be three new ones next week, and two weeks later, and two weeks after that.

The current model isn't one that inspires much loyalty in players; as they realize they'll continue to fall behind in the power curve as even more new powerful toons are released and added to the pool of ones they already can't afford.

It's not sustainable and the Star Wars IP doesn't guarantee success in the gaming world.
  • i haven't really kept track.... but prolly spent 3-5 hundred, no lando and no obi.... prolly should have bought the droid pack, started in the dooku dark side pack era, have met my end in gw and arena by f2p players plenty.... balance hasn't fallen to the almighty $ yet
  • Trust me you can get a 7 * character with about around 1k investment. A couple 6* and several 5*. Problem there is you have no control over which characters advance in the lottery. A 7* maul would be a horrible reward for 1k investment. I fight a 7* Maul daily in arena and he still goes down faster than a drunk prom date. But if you got a 7* Lando, Old Ben or even a Princess Leah that is game changing stuff you can build a team around. Just have to roll the dice.
  • i have a stable of 4-5 star jedi-s and as much as people ****... they are awesome..... soooo much health, none purple gear and still harder to kill than any sith other than palpatine (sadistic glee is awesome)... all of the chrome onlys are bassdass... i have leia at 6... and the 3 shot crit up is uber.... but nothing really ruins my day than targeting people other than jc n he's built his skills to lower his cooldowns
  • maul i have at 5* and dooku - like 10 shards from upgrade.... lots of attack no health.... they die fast, lumi hits hard - lives long, the best toons in the game are farmable
  • and im sure... at least till they put yoda in, when levels come up.... the rest will be too