New Meta!?

AimingForGaming
334 posts Member
edited May 2016
Okay.
So I was thinking about it, and with the intro to Gamorrean Guard, and Tusken Shaman awhile back, perhaps this could fuel one character immensely...

The original man in black, Darth Vader.

You see, DV hits like a truck on his own. However, with his special attack, he deals 30% more damage for each negative effect dispelled. So, and I'm sure this idea has been done before, what if we fuel Vader here with pointless negative status effects? The one I'll be choosing is DoT.

Now, there's a lot of people who apply DoT, such as GG and TS. So, what if we took more folks who applied DoT and added them to Vader's attack? (Keep in mind, DV can also apply DoT, three stacks in fact.)

So, I am thinking along the lines of this for a team, especially if you've got money to burn.

Vader (L), GG, TS, Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren.
These guys would apply criticals for years, and say you run into a problem like Fives, or a character with massive hp. Wham! Vader curb stomps them with all of these DoTs applied. Heck, even some of these chars side abilities could help. Luke could (potentially) stun, GG can expose them, TS could heal if one of your chars isn't doing so hot, and Kylo could do his special that does 50% more damage when he's below 50% hp. Even above 50% hp it could still pack a punch.

Now, for those of you getting ready to say, "I'm F2P, I can't get Tusken Shaman, -1, worst post on the Internet" it's a simple fix.
JUST PAY MONEY ALREADY! Lol, just kidding. But if you like this idea so much and that's your only problem, switch him out for Nightsister Initiate or Talia. He isn't exactly making or breaking this build.

And as for flaws, I know there are a few. In example, it probably isn't fast enough, or people could have an Ackbar, Lobot, or Nightsister Acolyte, and those DoTs would be wasted.

First, I have faith those could easily be put back. Easily.
Second, if you get noscoped by Rey or GS or Yoda, that happens. But again, this is just an idea. The folks who have time on their hands as well as these chars, feel free to tell me how a handful of rounds go with this idea if you want.

But other than that, comment your thoughts below!
Post edited by BentWookiee on

Replies

• I really like this build. I have all those toons and I may give it a try.

Lately, I've been using this build and have been totally wrecking stuff.

Chripa (L), Ewok Elder, Teebo, Fives and Phasma. I maxed em all out on stars and abilities. What it boils down to is so much + turn modifiers that other teams rarely ever get a chance to go. It's a pretty sick build.

Saw a YouTube video of 7* Rancor raid and some guy used this build and did like 590K damage. Rancor rarely ever got to go.

I'm gonna try your build. Only prob with it I have is DV is only at 5 stars right now and it's impossible to move him up the chain, so he's still pretty squishy.
  • Vader does not "hit like a truck" and his special that you can only use every 5 turns doesn't count compared to others who can hit harder w/o conditions and use their special a lot sooner.
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Vader does not "hit like a truck" and his special that you can only use every 5 turns doesn't count compared to others who can hit harder w/o conditions and use their special a lot sooner.
    Fair enough. The truck bit comes from personal experience. Maybe my team I use against him is squishy, idk.
    As for others using their specials sooner, this build, like I said, has mistakes. I hate to be the guy who says this, but if you have improvements you'd like to make on the build, feel free to post them bro. Maybe people would appreciate something more OP albeit similar to this :smile:
  • You will be destroyed with this build in arena - all your chars are very slow, so a faster team will just kill all your guys one by one
  • Ivan_Drago wrote: »
    You will be destroyed with this build in arena - all your chars are very slow, so a faster team will just kill all your guys one by one
    And as for flaws, I know there are a few. In example, it probably isn't fast enough... if you get noscoped by Rey or GS or Yoda, that happens. But again, this is just an idea.

Lol, I mentioned that in my OP. I know it's slow, it's not meant to legitimately be the new meta.
  • Murf_uK
    56 posts Member
    Ig88 omega leader ability adds a dot on a critical hit, plus crit chance, I've used it on challenges (only level 7 ability) and my team crits a lot,

Something to think about to fuel Vader more
  • lastii
    158 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    And i will use AA in my Team with leia rg, Rey :D

Beatiful dispell & High hp regen. I saw at some point that a dot makes around 700dmg per Round don't know if it's regular or can also be pushed at 1k =)
  • Rex and Yoda would be like kryptonite to this team.
  • K_G0sling
    839 posts Member
    Yes, I was going to chime in and say it SOUNDS amazing, if the stars aligned. However, a single dispeller could leave you with a VERY slow team and no accumulated damage potential when their turn finally does arrive. It's risk versus reward. Although, as far as squad, you can technically cherry-pick, and I'm sure you can find teams all along the way to romp through that don't have "kryptonite".

I'd be interested in how it turns out. If you try it, document it and update the thread.
  • K_G0sling wrote: »
    Yes, I was going to chime in and say it SOUNDS amazing, if the stars aligned. However, a single dispeller could leave you with a VERY slow team and no accumulated damage potential when their turn finally does arrive. It's risk versus reward. Although, as far as squad, you can technically cherry-pick, and I'm sure you can find teams all along the way to romp through that don't have "kryptonite".

I'd be interested in how it turns out. If you try it, document it and update the thread.

I'd be willing to do it, I just have to get Vader first :tongue:
  • 88 (L, with Omega), DV, Shaman, Gam Guard, Lando
  • I also find Vader's basic attack to be pretty weak, even at 5* gear IX. He has a lot of HP and protection, though. Getting him to the round where he throws Culling Blade is easy, but timing it can be difficult with how slow he is. Having other, sure fire ways to get DoT's and damage done are

I haven't tested in arena, but I've used Phasma (L), Vader, 88, ST Han and Poggle in later GW nodes. Phasma and Han speed things up, and if you wait until your second turn to use 88's AoE there are a bunch of debuffs, Advantage and offense up to do big damage. Then Culling Blade almost always kills someone after that. It's fun to stack synergies like that where Vader's DoT's help 88's AoE, and the debuffs from 88's AoE help Vader's Culling blade. The issue is that it's kind of a fragile strategy. One quick kill, a tenacity up or a well timed stun and it can all fall apart.

I don't have TS or GG but I don't think that someone whose only contributing a chance for a debuff on a single attack would help much. So Luke or Talia might not be good in a team like this. Phasma is great because she can land debuffs and speed you up and force criticals. Plus, most have her 7*, anyway. I also don't have Ren, but he fits in well with the AoE theme.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    I don't see the team being highly competitive but if you wanted a team to just have fun and maybe move up a bit, you could try something like this.

Old Ben - lead (gives turn meter to speed things up a bit) and protects them a little, gives you 1 to 2 debuffs)
    Kit Fisto - use his AOE to increase your potency
    Vader
    Old Daka
    Kylo Ren

If you don't get your dots up then your screwed which is the whole reason for Fisto. Though if your F2P that could be a problem. Old Ben is a lead that at least has some benefit to your squad versus Vader as leader does nothing but boost himself. Old Daka will help slow things down a little with some stuns, Kylo has a couple dots, does some AOE, and could possibly help finish somebody off with his 3rd ability.

Looks like a fun team to use, but maybe not the most competitive.
  • Bigfoot1080
    28 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I run a 7* level 80 squad of the following and it's brutal
    IG88 G10 (L)
    IG86 G10 tomorrow will be G11
    Ahsoka G9
    Daka G10
    RG G8

AI can't mess it up and with the stuns and high critical values I land a DOT on almost 70% of my attacks.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Lately in arena I've been running IG-88 (L), Aayla, Vader, Rey and Leia. They have a really good crit synergy and it's a very effective team. I'm still working on Gam guard (6 stars/ gear 8 currently) but I would like to find a spot for him on the team once he's stronger. Tusken shaman isn't worthwhile for arena at least but he's usable in GW or raids. The team can be countered with Rex on Ackbar but any team can be countered in one way or another so that's not really a big deal. it's a strong team with good synergy and fun to play.
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Vader fully stared will be a monster
    Post edited by Lcb12321 on
  • Lcb12321 wrote: »
    Vader fully stated will be a monster

Maybe if his basic hits hard and the saber toss hits hard without buffs. If not then if Vader becomes common, then you'll just see more Rex, Yoda, and Ackbar.
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    That's a good thing imo...

U need to ability lock them at the time/ make them use it before
  • fberbert
    593 posts Member
    Vader g10 at arena (vs top tier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-msvoDC6y0
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • This is bad team.
    Every team with only one toon being the central piece of the squad is bad.
    Because the ennemy just need to kill that toon. So vader. And after the team becomes useless.
    Plus Vader will be able to strike only once if he is not dead yet and then wait for refresh
  • fberbert wrote: »

I'm not sure if that was good or bad, tbh. I'm not anywhere close to the leaderboard in my cell. I saw he was slow, but I think he did some pretty nice damage when he hit.
  • Smapty wrote: »
    Lately in arena I've been running IG-88 (L), Aayla, Vader, Rey and Leia. They have a really good crit synergy and it's a very effective team. I'm still working on Gam guard (6 stars/ gear 8 currently) but I would like to find a spot for him on the team once he's stronger. Tusken shaman isn't worthwhile for arena at least but he's usable in GW or raids. The team can be countered with Rex on Ackbar but any team can be countered in one way or another so that's not really a big deal. it's a strong team with good synergy and fun to play.
    Sounds like a nice team, amigo. Don't mind my late response, lol.
  • I don't see the team being highly competitive but if you wanted a team to just have fun and maybe move up a bit, you could try something like this.

Old Ben - lead (gives turn meter to speed things up a bit) and protects them a little, gives you 1 to 2 debuffs)
    Kit Fisto - use his AOE to increase your potency
    Vader
    Old Daka
    Kylo Ren

If you don't get your dots up then your screwed which is the whole reason for Fisto. Though if your F2P that could be a problem. Old Ben is a lead that at least has some benefit to your squad versus Vader as leader does nothing but boost himself. Old Daka will help slow things down a little with some stuns, Kylo has a couple dots, does some AOE, and could possibly help finish somebody off with his 3rd ability.

Looks like a fun team to use, but maybe not the most competitive.

I could definitely see that! Nice suggestion :smile:
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I run a 7* level 80 squad of the following and it's brutal
    IG88 G10 (L)
    Ahsoka G9
    Daka G10
    RG G8

AI can't mess it up and with the stuns and high critical values I land a DOT on almost 70% of my attacks.

Two droids, huh? Can I ask what's stopped you from going HK (and lead)?
  • JermProof
    58 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm glad to see all you guys trying out DoT teams, I've been trying to brainstorm a few as well. The problem is my server is being run by rex squads, so DoT or droid teams won't do a darn thing lol. But just for fun I've been thinking 88 lead, vader, lando, phasma, gam gaurd/rg. Lando/ phasma combo works great and that crit synergy works very well with Dot. Gam gaurd is a long term investment but obv useful in the comp, will run RG until gam is ready.
  • I run a 7* level 80 squad of the following and it's brutal
    IG88 G10 (L)
    Ahsoka G9
    Daka G10
    RG G8

Two droids, huh? Can I ask what's stopped you from going HK (and lead)?

HK is slow and he really does pretty poor damage. I would rather have stuns, insane crits, DOT and make you choose your poison with who to kill first.
  • fberbert wrote: »

That was an interesting match. Even though CB missed the first time those DoT's seemed to wreck their protection.

• 9r33d0
    492 posts Member
    Gam guard instead of royal? Luke instead of Leia?
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    The real problem, and reason this would never become meta, is that the ai always throws the saber first.
    He does not work effectively.
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    The real problem, and reason this would never become meta, is that the ai always throws the saber first.
    He does not work effectively.

So, not especially well on defense, but it could be good on offense. Maybe.

P.S. I never planned on it being a meta, lol.