Return of the Jedi! What do they need to be competitive

Prev1
KelEl85
158 posts Member
Most of us have probably (or, in my case, are currently) farming at least 5 jedi for our yoda team. And while these may still be good toons for GW or Raid, many say they just aren't viable for a top tier arena squad. Not that they are all terrible or unusable. I have a friend in a November/December server who took first place yesterday with 3 jedi plus STH/RG. But as a whole team of jedi, i guess it just doesn't work. From what I've read here, its defense where the struggle.

So what adjustment or new character do full jedi teams need to be able to hold their own in arena? I figured the first thing would be a new tank character with a proper taunt ability. Ki Adi Mundi with a taunt that last 1 round and is on a 2/3 round cooldown, maybe with some TM (20%ish) gain for his allies when he uses the taunt.

What ideas do you have for the return of the Jedi?

Replies

• Khayman
    850 posts Member
    Options
    Easiest fix is less anti jedi abilities or characters. Sid, Count Counter, Maul are three specific anti jedi characters(yes it makes sense lore wise) but the first two show up a lot in GW and Arena for the second. Less dodging, less stunning or the insane aoe dmg maul can do would be nice. I will say though all three are squishy so if you do it right none of them get more than one maybe two hits in.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    1. Jedi need a tank that Taunts and has some kind of utility kind of like SunFac and Gam Guard.
    2. They need somebody that can dishout some damage, they need at least 1 or 2 characters that can put some offensive pressure up.
    3. More synergy between them. The Clone have excellent synergy as do the Rebels and First Order, it needs to be along those lines.
  • Options
    Given one of the games best is a Jedi, and then Ben is a very good lead and Yoda used right is godlike I'm not seeing their flaw. Plo is bad, as id Kit and Mace, Ani is so so but huge hp and the kit is decent. Secura can be a pain, a real pain.

Empire is weak.

Rebels are slow, unless AA or Lando lead. Leia is not slow, HRS is semi quick.

I think those need help. FO took a bit of a hit. Resistance except Rey is just plain weak.
  • CPTRogers
    107 posts Member
    Options
    An anti-Empire and Sith Jedi leader ability.

Give us Ki Adi Mundi or someone with that leader ability... Oh! Or a leader ability that cancels your opponent's leader ability.
  • ichotolot
    229 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A jedi with a precision strike leader ability, reducing enemy dodge by 15 to 20 percent when a jedi is attacking an enemy. Like GG does with critical chance.
  • BWSkynobi
    334 posts Member
    Options
    1. Jedi need a tank that Taunts and has some kind of utility kind of like SunFac and Gam Guard.
    2. They need somebody that can dishout some damage, they need at least 1 or 2 characters that can put some offensive pressure up.
    3. More synergy between them. The Clone have excellent synergy as do the Rebels and First Order, it needs to be along those lines.

1. Kind Adi Mundi is the tank.
    2. Buff Mace and or Anakin and Young Obi Wan Kenobi.
    3. All new Jedi have special non leader abilities that help with synergy.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    BWSkynobi wrote: »

RE 1: Does he taunt though? If he doesn't, big deal. Jedi need somebody to relieve the pressure.

RE 3: Sounds cool. Are you getting that from SWGOH.GG?

@BWSkynobi
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Jedi are in a really good spot with healing and other utility. Some can counter, Some can heal, Some can double attack, call assists, provide useful buffs or dish out devastating debuff. Some have REALLY GREAT health. The one thing that Jedi are missing above anything else is damage. Nerfing all jedi damage in the last patch was the most obvious disconnected-with-reality decision the devs made. I hope they are done with their little experiment soon and give some of that damage back to Jedi- at least those that don't have other utility like healing. Yoda should do a little more damage, Aayla is in a decent spot here, Kit Fisto sucks, he is horrible as is and needs at least 50% more damage some how. Mace needs more damage or utility. JKA, could use damage. I could keep going

☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    Jedi are in a really good spot with healing and other utility. Some can counter, Some can heal, Some can double attack, call assists, provide useful buffs or dish out devastating debuff. Some have REALLY GREAT health. The one thing that Jedi are missing above anything else is damage. Nerfing all jedi damage in the last patch was the most obvious disconnected-with-reality decision the devs made. I hope they are done with their little experiment soon and give some of that damage back to Jedi- at least those that don't have other utility like healing. Yoda should do a little more damage, Aayla is in a decent spot here, Kit Fisto sucks, he is horrible as is and needs at least 50% more damage some how. Mace needs more damage or utility. JKA, could use damage. I could keep going

Haha, well put. I would still like to see some kind of alternate synergy aside from the IGD counter-attack squad. I really do think they need at least one taunter on that side. Old Ben is the best form of damage mitigation they have; and I say best because the 2nd part of his leader bonus I feel is better than Lumi's micro-heal. They definitely need their equivalent to GS, Leia, or Rey but maybe not to the same scale as Rey at least but somebody that has potential to crit for 6k without buffs maybe.

Maybe this is crazy but I think the Clone War era Jedi should have the "Clone" affiliation as well. Plo Koon, Anakin, Yoda, Aayla were all generals over the Clones, they should have that synergy as well I think. It could provide for some seriously fun squads with the Clone characters at least. Just like the Sith should probably share affiliation with Empire and / or Geonosians and Droids.
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The one thing that Jedi are missing above anything else is damage. Nerfing all jedi damage in the last patch was the most obvious disconnected-with-reality decision the devs made.

Agree.

My short list:

1. Taunt or Taunt Like ability (Saber Deflection - For x turns (1 turn?) fight in front of your team deflecting all damage coming their way with your lightsaber.
    2. Generally Increased DPS.
    3. reliable stunner that also has utility like Daka/RG (Koth is not it).

• Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    The one thing that Jedi are missing above anything else is damage. Nerfing all jedi damage in the last patch was the most obvious disconnected-with-reality decision the devs made.

Agree.

My short list:

1. Taunt or Taunt Like ability (Saber Deflection - For x turns (1 turn?) fight in front of your team deflecting all damage coming their way with your lightsaber.

That's really cool. EA could do some cool animation with that one too I bet.
  • BWSkynobi
    334 posts Member
    Options
    BWSkynobi wrote: »

RE 1: Does he taunt though? If he doesn't, big deal. Jedi need somebody to relieve the pressure.

RE 3: Sounds cool. Are you getting that from SWGOH.GG?

@BWSkynobi

No, those were just my ideas on how to beef up the Jedi synergy without too much meddling with existing characters.

• Gungnir75
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Give mace a bit more health and a taunt.

Up the damage anakin can do by 30%

Reverse the nerfs done to Yoda

Add general kenobi as a huge damage dealer.

I feel Jedi have too much utility for the Ai to ever use proper, the taunt and damage increase would give a Jedi team what it takes to survive in my opinion anyway.

I use Jedi squads all the time on a launch server and snag #1 regularly. But you are correct they will not defend very well.
  • Options
    If they buff underused Jedi most of the problem would be solved(minus taunt)

I like plo and have him max star, but he could use some more health(he's a tank not a cannon) and a little more damage
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I like plo and have him max star, but he could use some more health(he's a tank not a cannon) and a little more damage

He's actually not bad with a Clone Squad at gear 9. Today I went through 7 nodes of GW with Rex, 5's (low abilities), Echo (low abilities), Plo Koon, and Lumi. It was fun. His 3rd ability is a pretty nice boost for Clones. If his basic could hit for over 3k (non-crit) and of course had more potency for his dispel and 2nd ability that would be pretty sweet.
  • Darthenstein
    1205 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    KelEl85 wrote: »
    Most of us have probably (or, in my case, are currently) farming at least 5 jedi for our yoda team. And while these may still be good toons for GW or Raid, many say they just aren't viable for a top tier arena squad. Not that they are all terrible or unusable. I have a friend in a November/December server who took first place yesterday with 3 jedi plus STH/RG. But as a whole team of jedi, i guess it just doesn't work. From what I've read here, its defense where the struggle.

So what adjustment or new character do full jedi teams need to be able to hold their own in arena? I figured the first thing would be a new tank character with a proper taunt ability. Ki Adi Mundi with a taunt that last 1 round and is on a 2/3 round cooldown, maybe with some TM (20%ish) gain for his allies when he uses the taunt.

Simple.

If Ima-Gun Di had a taunt and was more sturdy, it would be fixed,

Or just add a new Jedi that can taunt and is sturdier than all other Jedis.

Let's say they added a Jedi with Evasion-skills up the wazoo, that either had a Taunt, or a Jedi that could divert attackers to that fellow.

Then that team would be much more successful in Arena and no longer the need to implement an Empire-character like Royal Guard within the Jedi-midst.

Or add a new ability.

Example:

---

SHAAK-TI

Unique: Enlightenment
    Shaak-Ti gains +x Dodge-Rating for each Jedi on the Squad.
    50 % chance to Pre-emptively counter any attack made on an ally.

Active 1 - Taunting Strike
    Deal Physical Damage to target enemy with a 50 % chance to force that Enemy to attack Shaak-Ti for 1 turn.
    On a critical hit, the enemy will be so enraged that it will attack Shaak-Ti for 2 turns instead.

---

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options

Haha, well put. I would still like to see some kind of alternate synergy aside from the IGD counter-attack squad. I really do think they need at least one taunter on that side. Old Ben is the best form of damage mitigation they have; and I say best because the 2nd part of his leader bonus I feel is better than Lumi's micro-heal. They definitely need their equivalent to GS, Leia, or Rey but maybe not to the same scale as Rey at least but somebody that has potential to crit for 6k without buffs maybe.

Maybe this is crazy but I think the Clone War era Jedi should have the "Clone" affiliation as well. Plo Koon, Anakin, Yoda, Aayla were all generals over the Clones, they should have that synergy as well I think. It could provide for some seriously fun squads with the Clone characters at least. Just like the Sith should probably share affiliation with Empire and / or Geonosians and Droids.

Exactly, They need one or two that can do 10K crits regularly. Yoda could have been the one but he got neutered damage wise (Maybe righfully so considering his utility). Mace Windu and Kit Fisto are really good candidates for amazing damage. I really like the idea of alternate Synergies. Sith/Geonosians, etc would be cool. They should really do a better job of creating these little cross synergies.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options

Exactly, They need one or two that can do 10K crits regularly. Yoda could have been the one but he got neutered damage wise (Maybe righfully so considering his utility). Mace Windu and Kit Fisto are really good candidates for amazing damage. I really like the idea of alternate Synergies. Sith/Geonosians, etc would be cool. They should really do a better job of creating these little cross synergies.

Yoda has so much utility that I'm ALMOST okay with how he is. I would say that his Ataru should not be "dodgeable." Seriously, if Jedi can't dodge Vader, then nobody except maybe Sidious can dodge Yoda. Yoda would've destroyed Vader. His TM is so fast that he attacks often and if you pair him with an Old Ben lead or somebody that gives TM he attacks very frequently.
  • Options
    Jedi will never return to the meta while Dooku exists in his current state. His ludicrous counters and chain attacks leaving them stunned/blocked and his high speed high potency early double stun is too much for Jedi to deal with. QGJ L with Yoda is pretty much the only way to avoid early slaughter.

That being said they also lack a bunch of necessary team components such as a taunt and ally dispel. There is a reason characters like RG, STHan, Rex, and Ackbar are so good in pretty much every game mode (GW STHan being the exception).

They have bad units, primarily Mace, JKA, JKG, JC, Kit, (Aayla being decent but chromium only). Barriss is EXTREMELY niche and has one use only. She can't just fill out any team. This leaves QGJ as all-star utility and Yoda and Lumi as pretty good in some modes but not great overall.
  • bngman
    369 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi's suck join the darkside.
    :p
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I would say give Mace an Auto Taunt.

Or give a damage leader that buffs Jedi damage. They are tanky enough that they don't really need a taunt they just need 10-15% more damage
  • Options
    You have Yoda, QGJ and old Ben that are good. No need for all of them to be good, as well as no need to play 5 Jedi in a team.
  • Options
    Ivan_Drago wrote: »
    You have Yoda, QGJ and old Ben that are good. No need for all of them to be good, as well as no need to play 5 Jedi in a team.

There's no need for this game period but if somebody wants to sit down and play a squad of Jedi and not 1 or 2 Jedi's plus some random bug (GS), plus a Sith Lord, plus Emperor Palpatine's guard they should be able to. This is Star Wars not "science fiction game of random characters."

• Slewfoot
    910 posts Member
    Options
    Just have then reflect blaster bolts back at the attacker, done.
  • Options
    Ivan_Drago wrote: »

I think the point of this thread is to make it so that synergy is important. Other factions have great synergies that make having a team of 5 rebels, first ordee, etc viable.

There's no real synergy with the Jedi, which of all the possible factions, they should have one of the best synergies.
  • Options
    One Jedi could have that "Reflect BlasterShots"-Ability.
    Could be young Obi, could be Anakin, Plo Koon, or maybe Ki Adi Mundi.

Example:

Ki Adi Mundi

Special - Reflecting Blade
    Ki Adi Mundi reflects Non-Physical Single-Target Attacks back to the Enemy for 1 turn.
    Ki Adi Mundi gains 10 % TurnMeter for each enemy defeated from a Reflected attack.

---

Maybe Plo Koon could get a lil revamp and get a Force Absorb in a future update.

latest?cb=20090602011941

• Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options

Like the idea- atleast Plo but not yoda as he would have many. Although, Jedi are not supposed to get too in bed with any faction. Plo already has solid synergy with clones. Looking at clones right now I would rather have plo than echo.
  • slampdx
    478 posts Member
    Options
    KelEl85 wrote: »

They need to apply actual damage. It's not that complicated. Eg/cg is evil. They are sith so Jedi have no damage
  • Options

He's actually not bad with a Clone Squad at gear 9. Today I went through 7 nodes of GW with Rex, 5's (low abilities), Echo (low abilities), Plo Koon, and Lumi. It was fun. His 3rd ability is a pretty nice boost for Clones. If his basic could hit for over 3k (non-crit) and of course had more potency for his dispel and 2nd ability that would be pretty sweet.

I wasn't saying he was bad I actually prefer him over luminara and dooku, I was just saying he could use a tiny boost
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options

I wasn't saying he was bad I actually prefer him over luminara and dooku, I was just saying he could use a tiny boost

I don't disagree. I just thought it was funny that he seems to work better with Clones than Jedi.