Underused: Resistance Trooper and Tusken Raider

Geddre
224 posts Member
edited May 2016
If I recall correctly, the request by @EA_Jesse was to post about underused characters, not underpowered ones. As such I put forward Resistance Trooper and Tusken Raider. I hear a lot of people SAYING these two are good, but almost none of those people bother to level or use them. They're nowhere. They're almost never mentioned good or bad and I don't think I've ever seen RT in GW or arena and I'm pretty sure I saw Tusken once in 6 months. By contrast I see some of the most requested toons here such as Mace Windu every few days.

RT is close to being really nice. Both his basic and special need about 25% more damage. But much more importantly he needs a gear rework so that he ends up with way more potency... and not the lazy way by making him need 3 more pieces of that raid gear item that gives 40% potency. He needs potency throughout the leveling curve. Right now he has 65% potency maxed. How is he supposed to land his slow with that?

Tusken could also be nice, but his value depends entirely on getting lucky and calling a good assist like Rey. And because no one uses URoRRuR'R'R, and Shaman isn't obtainable for most, his attack will never get that 75% bonus. Also, his unique is useless because no one is running the other two Tusken toons just to get 30% offense. So for him, all that's needed is to make him play more nicely with others. Ditch the complete dependence on having Tusken allies for his special and his unique. Make the trigger for his special be a larger subset of characters or make it something variable instead, like he and his assist deal more damage when attacking an enemy with buffs... or an enemy that is taunting.

Replies

• i really like the idea of extra damage against an enemy who is taunting or has buffs! @EA_Jesse and other developers should consider this idea for new abilities for characters
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Extra damage vs taunters is actually a great idea. Would actually give some good counterplay to the ST Han RG teams.
  • JediKQD
    19 posts Member
    I agree that RT is underused. I've been steadily leveling and starring up RT as part of a resistance team, but he doesn't really stand out within the team. RP and Rey both have the potential to gain foresight... it could be RT doesn't stand out because his health is similar to RP, but doesn't have any additional durability.

Also, the part about 'deal heavy damage to debuffed enemies' probably means that his special 'Opportune Strike' should do something that actually makes it dangerous. Even when enemies are debuffed, I'll sometimes opt to use his basic attack, since that has a chance of resulting in an expose. Perhaps increasing the chance of applying the 'slow' debuff would make that special a bit more useful.
  • Its true Resistance Trooperis to weak, he does low damge and is slow
  • Geddre
    224 posts Member
    I had said previously that RT needs a full gear rework to bring up his potency. Another option is to have his unique do more than add a measly 10%. Make it triple his potency or something. It'll still be lower than QGJ for freak's sake!
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Geddre wrote: »
    I had said previously that RT needs a full gear rework to bring up his potency. Another option is to have his unique do more than add a measly 10%. Make it triple his potency or something. It'll still be lower than QGJ for freak's sake!

To be fair about sixty five characters need a full gear rework.
  • dough
    641 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    i keep grinding out the hard node shards for RT on the off-chance he gets reworked but as-is? i have yet to unlock and lvl him up... i think he's close to 5* now.
  • Geddre
    224 posts Member
    I've got him pretty close to maxed. I need two more pieces of gear to get to 11. And I need to omega his basic and special. Without buffs and non-crit... his basic hits for 2800, and his special hits for 3800. Very disappointed.

Also, the concept of having his special cooldown drop to every other turn by way of using it on debuffed enemies is awesome, but give him a little more self-reliance by changing the debuff applied by his basic. Expose sucks because it's going to get used before it gets back to him. Or you have to target a totally separate enemy with him than the one everyone else is targeting. And you can't use an AE...

Of course there will be other debuffs to play off, but like a said, I'd like a little better self reliance. Maybe instead of expose, make it defense down. Because if you aren't getting the extra damage from expose, his damage would *really* need a boost.
  • Geddre
    224 posts Member
    And now that I've used him for a bit at nearly max gear, he's completely shelved. He can land expose on anything unless it's 20 or 30 levels lower. I don't know if it just his potency or there's something else at play, but he may as well not even have the expose on his basic. It lands that rarely. No joke, like 2% of the time. Awful.

Oh, and I saw the first Tusken Raider I think I've seen since, like... January in GW. So that's two now. Ever. Talk about underused.