Reviewing The Game

Right guys, one of my jobs in the real world is writing for a large and popular geek culture and videogame magazine (Which I don't think I'm allowed to mention?) And appear at MCMs and comic cons across the country. And with the release of TFA, we are reviewing other new Star Wars media that has come out recently including this game. Since I already actively play it, I have been tasked with reviewing it.

Now I love Star Wars, and I do enjoy this game. However I have to be completely fair and unbiased, so I need to include the bad as much as the good. Seeing as the experience for players can vary, as in whales, total f2ps, old and new. I'm looking for your own opinions and outlooks to take into consideration and to produce a fair and honest right up. This isn't the first micro transaction game we've done, in fact we've done many and our reviews tend to bring a lot of people in or turn them away. There have been instances where a negative review from us has led game devs to approach us in hopes of improving their game and getting re-reviewed. Leading to a better game in the long run.

It is for that reason, and the integrity of our name, that I can't allow my biased opinion to falsely lead new players into a game that could be unrewarding, a poor investment or unfair.

So please do share your insight and thoughts :) I'm particularly interested in hearing from soft launch players about the game may or may not have changed since the very start, I.e has growth been slow etc. Also from whales regarding how far your investment has gone and if the money spent has granted you much of an advantage over f2p.

If a Dev or representative would like to add their own voice on future updates and the road they want their game to take, that will greatly be appreciated.

Replies

• Scorpion1980
    246 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    your a professional review writer? hmmm, interesting, does that include insulting fellow gamers & forum users? not trying to start a fight, just trying to understand the logic B)
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Well, I've spent maybe $700-900 so far. Not sure where you turn into a "whale" exactly, but I believe that's a big amount for an app game. I don't feel that the investment has made the game exceedingly easy. Many teams pick me apart, even though they have F2P toons like Sid and Lumi. Personally, I'm fine with it. I like collecting characters and watching them grow, and I do rank in top 10 every day.

My overall impression is that the game devs are very passionate and most definitely gamers themselves, maybe more so than they're businessmen? The communication with the devs is a big step up from my previous addiction, Konami's SW: Force Collection.

There are definitely bugs and visualization errors, as well as rather linear character development. I expected a certain degree of tailoring available, seeing as how this is a Final Fantasy battles type game.

I find the overall gameplay highly enjoyable and delving into possible synergies is a big project with a lot of depth.

So despite a few hiccups the game is in its infancy and I for one have high hopes for the future.
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    Well, I've spent maybe $700-900 so far. Not sure where you turn into a "whale" exactly, but I believe that's a big amount for an app game. I don't feel that the investment has made the game exceedingly easy. Many teams pick me apart, even though they have F2P toons like Sid and Lumi. Personally, I'm fine with it. I like collecting characters and watching them grow, and I do rank in top 10 every day.

My overall impression is that the game devs are very passionate and most definitely gamers themselves, maybe more so than they're businessmen? The communication with the devs is a big step up from my previous addiction, Konami's SW: Force Collection.

There are definitely bugs and visualization errors, as well as rather linear character development. I expected a certain degree of tailoring available, seeing as how this is a Final Fantasy battles type game.

I find the overall gameplay highly enjoyable and delving into possible synergies is a big project with a lot of depth.

So despite a few hiccups the game is in its infancy and I for one have high hopes for the future.

I think when you become a whale is open for debate and varies from game to game depending on content, I'd imagine a whale here for example would be a minor spender in a game like Summoners War.

Does it bother you or make you feel like your investment hasn't paid off when f2p players are able to easily compete with you? If so, how would the return on your investment to improve? Stronger chrono only characters with better skills/stats over farmables?
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A little history.. i have been playing EA mobile game since November 2013 from Fifa 14, Fifa 15 and currently Fifa 16. I didnt spend more than $20 combined with all those games. I didnt know about Star War galaxy of Heroes until they were advertised on Fifa 16.

First of all im not Star War fans. In the game I'm F2P and only spent $5 on Dooku Pack & $5 on the 100Gems for 21days. Overally this game is fun and addictive.

Every day from December i have been playing this game atleast 4-5times a day.. atleast spent 15-30mins each time. (wake up, on the Train, during lunch, off work, bed time).

I think this game are very f2p friendly, atleast i really dont need to spend money to play. Of course if you want some RARE heroes then that was your choice to buy gems to open those chromium pack. It was also your choice to donimated in PVP and spend 50gems pvp each time. I'm happy to be in 101-200 rank.

• CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    @Terrorize89

I don't want to start any arguement or anything but don't you have enough info to go with? The forum is full with usefull review topics. Also a review doesn't rely much on opinions from players imho.
    Asking players how they feel after purchases have been made in regards to f2p players, seems not objective in the first place. Also it's quite premature since every respectable RPG undergoes changes in the early stages.

Another point is that on forums you will read more negativity than positive feedback. As a genuine reviewer I'm sure you know why also taken into account that it's still early stages.

Starting a topic where you claim to be a game reviewer and having to explain the relativity and all strikes me as odd. Correct me if I'm wrong here but there's not much to go by other than impressions.

The only tips I have if you are serious is:
    1 don't go asking much of the playerbase in it's current form especially on forum, especially when obvious updates are near.
    2 Try and be objective and make a review on gameplay and less on personal views as they differ a lot from player to player.

Don't get me wrong, just as the latest movie, this game has it's flaws too. I'm seeing devs actively commit to a lot of input like Aaron, Jesse and JohnSalera too. It's rare to see a game where devs actively communicate at this frequency, even at holidays.

Do prove me wrong tho and send me a link where I can read the review afterwards ;) I'll fully admit I was wrong. I still do feel it's not right to point this out in the forum that much. Gl nevertheless!

439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    Options
    your a professional review writer? hmmm, interesting, does that include insulting fellow gamers & forum users? not trying to start a fight, just trying to understand the logic B)

+1
  • CptCaveman
    713 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You doing a right up, or a write up?

My opinion:

The game is fun, but needs a lot more content. I spent 5 bucks on the DS Starter pack and $25 on the Droid bundle because I pulled a 4* Poggle on a bronzium and needed more DS characters.

I'm usually up late and complete all my dailies(except arena), use the two 50 Crystal refreshes and 100 gem cantina refresh, and finish events in an hour or two and then have nothing to do until before arena awards.

I realize this is a new game and that there will be a lot more content added. I made the decision to invest money in this game with the assumption that the new content will be worthwile.

I recently quit playing Clash of Clans due to the new update the added that changed the way I played, and my enjoyment of that game. I spent over two years on that game and spent a fair amount of money. The biggest turn off for me was the lack of communication between the developers and the player base on the forums. They released an update that most hated, then clammed up and we never got an official word from them for weeks. This destroyed my trust in the developers and led me to quitting and trying this game.

That the developers and executives actually take time out of their busy days to read and reply to concerns on the forums is a huge plus for me and helps to instill confidence that they listen to us and are committed to making this game better.

Turn based mobile games are new to me, and I am suprised by how much I am enjoying it. It is fun to be able to build different teams using different strategies to figure out which work best. I plan on sticking around for a while and hope that the game develops into something great.

Also, the biggest thing that is lacking for me right now coming from Clash, is the social aspect of the game. There are no clans and no way to communicate with allies or other players in game. I miss making friends and having fun just chatting. If there was a way to add this aspect in to the game, I feel it would make it a lot more complete.
    Post edited by CptCaveman on
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    IAP prices are absurd. The game is fun. I rank it 2/5* because of poor pricing model. Could easily be 4/5 if this was addressed.
  • Options
    I have to admit I've lowered my review of this game at least temporarily. I'll raise my review back up if the new content is good and the energy system and costs are lowered. I know all about making a profit but, there should be a cap on player spend. It's beyond ridiculous the kind of money anyone can and has spent on small mobile games.

The developers have done a decent job with content so far. That said, this game doesn't contain a story mode and its very limited with what you can do in it. I like it because it's Star Wars. I'd rate this game a C.
  • Options
    If I were reviewing it I'd say that you probably won't like it if you aren't a star wars fan (but who isnt ?) And that the major pitfall is that it takes so long to unlock characters. After almost 40 days of playing I've only unlocked 25/71 characters. Nine of them aren't even levelled and I only use ten of my 25 as I can't afford to level the rest up. Compare that to a game like Marvel Future Fight and I've unlocked half of the characters in like five days or something. But, if you are patient (or rich) enough to wait it out and play the long game then you will like it.

A lot of people will be turned off after playing for a couple of days because progress is so slow.

Other than that it is a very fun game.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    It's a bit early for anything more than a first-look review.

The devs seem committed and hopefully the bean counters align with them on the IAP pricing.

There are still some early bugs and glitches but the game shows a lot of potential to be great. It is slow moving for now though as we wait for hoped-for improvements like real pvp and more/better events.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Does it bother you or make you feel like your investment hasn't paid off when f2p players are able to easily compete with you? If so, how would the return on your investment to improve? Stronger chrono only characters with better skills/stats over farmables?

Nah, doesn't bother me really. It just pushes me to build my team smarter. And I am top 10 after all so I don't see a reason to complain. One thing I do get annoyed about is that there's no good way to keep playing once energy and a reasonable amount of refills have been used up. Sometimes it just ends too early, and I wish I could get more playtime for the money I put in.