For newer and old players: My Final verdict on whether this is a pay to win game. Its not

Prev1
Xceptor
55 posts Member
edited January 2016
I always get the 1st spot in my arena when i need to, and im a complete FTP player. I obviously never lose GW (you shouldnt with the retreat option and lots of hero "extras" to sacrifice)
I sometimes lose arena fights, but nothing that I cant deal with after changes on my squad.

If you:
1) carefully read the game, and min/maxing the characters that give you the best advantage for the meta. That is where skill resides in the game. This game doesnt need call of duty reactions or Starcraft clicks per minutes+soul offering to some gods. Skill in this game is long term build strategy and faithful execution
2) Focus on level 60 and careful crystal management (refreshes only and arena attacks)
3) Dont underestimate the free bronzium cards. Early game focus on NOT using sims, but getting allies. That means you get 20 instead of 10 ally tokens. Thats DOUBLE the rate!! Late game, i doubt you would be bothered to spend the time to do that ( I know I dont).

There are obviously better heroes on the "pay" category, but a good 7 star team of free characters can go a long way with proper tactical play (yes that exists).
After all, come on, all PVP is against AI!
Even if AI is buffed in their %% to apply effects or dodge, it still AI and can be understood and predicted.
AI pvp (PVE?) balances the FTP/PTP after all

Only thing that will make you lose 100% is if the enemy one shots you whilst also getting most first turns. If you see that happening often, it means :

a) You are not levelled enough (speed stat)
b) You need to change things in your squad (speedier heroes and/or higher levelled ones)

I will spend money on this game just to pay for a company that entertains me, but that will come in a month if the game still holds my attention (thats what I usually do with FTP games, try then pay)

This game isnt pay to win, but pay gives you an advantage and easier times. Its nowhere near league of legends free model (pay gives you no advantage just aesthetics), but I seen a lot worse in android pvp games.

That is my personal experience in this game, but its an empirical process stemming from long term use of competitive games (both real life and digital)

If anyone has any question or objection feel free to post! :)

Replies

• Options
    What team did u suggest? what should i farm at the beggining? where to spend my cristal?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Xceptor wrote: »
    I always get the 1st spot in my arena when i need to, and im a complete FTP player.

Then you are lucky enough not to have a big spender on your shard. On mine, you would never get the #1 spot even temporarily. I am partially P2P, have a very good team, and his destroys mine in 90 seconds or less. Nobody can get into the top 10 on my shard now without spending crystals for Arena timer bypasses.
    Eventually some whales will appear on your shard, and that will be the end of that.
    This game definitely offers substantial advantages to those willing to pay silly amounts of money. Whether this is "pay to win" or not depends on your definition of "winning".
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Xceptor
    55 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Every new player get some basic heroes and some random ones. If you read forums and strategy sites you would know which of you random heroes are worth levelling and which to leave behind.

HOWEVER, in the very early game, you only have a set of 5-7 heros. You need ALL of them so you can go fast on the campaign, If you start losing on a campaign mission more than 1-2 times, Stop. Come back when you levelled up a bit (4L is a good example on light side)
    Only spend crystals on refreshes
    Jedi c, chewie are basics which you can easily pvp when levelled. Focus on levelling up so you can compete on Galactic war and get Luminara. She is the best pvp healer and she is fast to level to 7* because of GW giving you 1200 tokens (3 x 5shards) if oyu complete it.
    As for the filler characters you get early, jawa/trooper etc are bad but you need them levelled up and equipped (no need to star them) for as long as you dont have any other "good" character.
    Cantina, you need DAKA for the campaign. She sux in pvp. If you want only pvp, there are a few good choices if you read around the forums and sites.
    Chewie + JC + Luminara = core team to practically go through all content and pvp if you pair them with some other dps hero like you can farm. Sid is an obvious choice (arena tokens), but not necessarily the best for end game pvp.
    A general rule of thump is: ONLY farm for star 7 for characters you can get shards from cantina/arena/GW
    Example: I got doku from bronzium and he sux. Why? Because I know i can never 7* him unless a year passes.

If all else fails, use the force :)
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I always get the 1st spot in my arena when i need to, and im a complete FTP player.

Then you are lucky enough not to have a big spender on your shard. On mine, you would never get the #1 spot even temporarily. I am partially P2P, have a very good team, and his destroys mine in 90 seconds or less. Nobody can get into the top 10 on my shard now without spending crystals for Arena timer bypasses.
    Eventually some whales will appear on your shard, and that will be the end of that.
    This game definitely offers substantial advantages to those willing to pay silly amounts of money. Whether this is "pay to win" or not depends on your definition of "winning".

You havent seen how competive my shard is ... Im sure there are even harder servers, but im playing with what I have, I cant comment on yours sorry

As I said, unless you get oneshotted by a team that plays first, you can win. IF you do, well, there are still options.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    What is your team? Character name, star level, gear level.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    Yo @Qeltar seeing you being so committed in the forum, I got the feeling you will stay for at least another month ;) Also you wouldn't dare to leave prepatch would you?

Anyway I agree with all stated. Even my f2p Talia still has it's use in Arena/GW. I did get lucky to maintain top 20 on a daily base, usually top 10 because the top 5 is quite maxed with qui gonns, phasmas, leias and tie pilots but hey, Im enjoying myself. Nice post and refreshing to read some positive stuff as well. Do stick around!
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    3) Dont underestimate the free bronzium cards. Early game focus on NOT using sims, but getting allies. That means you get 20 instead of 10 ally tokens. Thats DOUBLE the rate!! Late game, i doubt you would be bothered to spend the time to do that ( I know I dont).

What exactly do u mean by this part? Shard drop rate is better if u DONT sim?
  • Yuri
    173 posts Member
    Options
    1- What's your PvP team?

2- Pretty sure you've never faced a true P2W team, with 7* Leia, Ben, etc
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No he means that you get 20 ally points if you do the fight yourself and 10 if you sim it. So you need to sim 25 battles or play 13 yourself to get 250 ally points and get a free bronzium. So simming battles near the start is a waste of allied points.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. I intend to spend a small sum just that I support the franchise and also to have a easier time now and then. Grinding and farming isn't glorious to all people.
  • Options
    yeah, a true p2w team with 7* qgj, leia, ben, secura, fisto, lando, maul, tie pilot, etc........ will wipe the floor with any f2p team
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    Yo @Qeltar seeing you being so committed in the forum, I got the feeling you will stay for at least another month ;) Also you wouldn't dare to leave prepatch would you?

I don't think I said anywhere that I was leaving.
    I do post here too much, though a lot of it is answering questions and providing advice.
    As I told the executive producer, the forums right now are more interesting than the game. There is not enough to do, and there's virtually no inter-player interaction. They are working on this I am sure.
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    No he means that you get 20 ally points if you do the fight yourself and 10 if you sim it. So you need to sim 25 battles or play 13 yourself to get 250 ally points and get a free bronzium. So simming battles near the start is a waste of allied points.

Ahh ic....I have ZERO luck with bronze packs, however my son just called me and said he has landed a 4* mace, 3* lobot and a 3* hoth rebel scout ALL from bronze packs today. He is lucky as hell I guess...
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    @JoshG keep trying, you'll get one eventually. I got a 4* mace windu and a 3* bariss, last one got converted into shards :p
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    @Qeltar that should have been for Xceptor. Your last post in this topic was confusing me into thinking you're the OP. My bad!
  • Options
    Translated, your post reads "look at me, I am elite and better than anyone else at this game"
  • Options
    Slewfoot wrote: »
    yeah, a true p2w team with 7* qgj, leia, ben, secura, fisto, lando, maul, tie pilot, etc........ will wipe the floor with any f2p team

Complete myth, I'm not sure why people think that. I've faced a couple of 7* chromium teams and they are definitely beatable with farmable characters.
  • Options
    Thundergod wrote: »

Complete myth, I'm not sure why people think that. I've faced a couple of 7* chromium teams and they are definitely beatable with farmable characters.

Try to beat bugger leia who shoots trice each time with phasma calling assists constantly by AI. All 7* of course, it's P2W. Every team is beatable, but if you beat it 1/20 then I call it not beatable.
  • Options
    NewHope wrote: »
    What team did u suggest? what should i farm at the beggining? where to spend my cristal?

I've spent $50 on this game, so I'm not completely a F2P, but close.

My team is now:

Phasma (leader) 4* Gear VII
    Luminara 5* Gear VII
    Asajj Ventress 4 * Gear VII
    Chewie 4* Gear VII
    Jedi C 4* Gear VIII

Phasma, Chewie, and Jedi I've had from beginning / free. Asajj I got from Bronzium as a 3 star I believe. Luminara I got from Galactic War.

My server / shard is ridiculously hard full of 7* teams. So, I place between 500-750 in arena.

When I'm working on LS I run Lum (Leader), Chewie, JC, Jawa, and Jedi Knight
    When I'm working on DS I run Phasma (Leader), Asajj, Talia, Cad Bane, and usually the Acolyte or Initiate.

I don't have any Dooku's, Kylo, Poe, Mace, Qui, or other 'big' name folks... but I did just get a Sid from working in arena I'll begin to level, and Vader from achievements I'll also begin to level.

That's my .02 on what seems to work well starting off.
  • Options
    Translated, your post reads "look at me, I am elite and better than anyone else at this game"

Ok let me see, I tried to play this game good. I succeed for the moment (for my own targets at least).
    I consider I did some right decisions and understand parts of the game if not the general idea how to milk potential benefits.
    I do pretty good in pvp even with f2p

And I decide (because I did good ) to write a post of the possibility of F2p doing as good as p2p.

And that makes me better than anyone else in the game? That makes me a pompous narcissist as you try to imply? If I didnt do good I WOULDNT OBVIOUSLY make this thread. This thread is my experience and I try to speak out that its not a Pay to win game, but you can really do good with F2p. Hows that relevant with "being better than anyone else" ?

That mentality reeks of helpesness and its exactly that which im adressing
    P2p gives advantages, but doesnt give you win
    F2p is challenging but possible and practically equal in effect

Anything you wanna add or question about, go ahead. Please refrain from judging negatively anything that sounds remotely positive. Not good for anyone

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    So again, what is your team that is getting #1 rank?
  • Options

Ok let me see, I tried to play this game good. I succeed for the moment (for my own targets at least).
    I consider I did some right decisions and understand parts of the game if not the general idea how to milk potential benefits.

And I decide (because I did good ) to write a post of the possibility of F2p doing as good as p2p.

And that makes me better than anyone else in the game? That makes me a pompous narcissist as you try to imply? If I didnt do good I WOULDNT OBVIOUSLY make this thread. This thread is my experience and I try to speak out that its not a Pay to win game, but you can really do good with F2p. Hows that relevant with "being better than anyone else" ?

Anything you wanna add or question about, go ahead. Please refrain from judging negatively anything that sounds remotely positive. Not good for anyone

The fact that you start your thread saying you are always number 1, and just in case we miss it you embolden it. You've been asked several times to post your team, so please do so. Also, please give me your ally code so I can see this for myself.

It annoys me when people claim they dominate when they are F2P, join my server where the number 1 ranked guy is 6 levels above me and has 4000 more power than me (even though we started at the same time) then tell me that it's easy.
  • Options
    Raenas wrote: »
    Thundergod wrote: »

Try to beat bugger leia who shoots trice each time with phasma calling assists constantly by AI. All 7* of course, it's P2W. Every team is beatable, but if you beat it 1/20 then I call it not beatable.

I beat them more often then not. If anything, a dooku stun or a lumi getting her turn faster than expected and healing the whole team is what causes most losses for me. Leia can be annoying, but she usually only gets one or two attacks in because the AI stealths her first. Phasma isn't that much of a problem since you can do a lot of work on the opposing team before her first turn.

If you don't have enough damage, then yes you will have a hard time.
  • Xceptor
    55 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    So again, what is your team that is getting #1 rank?

Depends on the day and what I think the top 4 are playing before i fight them
    It goes around to
    Luminara 7,JC 7,Geonosian 7
    IG86 6,Sid 7,POE or Chewie 6,etc
    and some others depending on what i need
    sometimes , judging by experience playing certain players and deducting from their leaders, I choose:
    1 healer, 2 healers , a tank or not, single dps team, sustain, sometimes I bring stunners like doku or daka
    So I cant answer your question the same way you answer pvp questions, because i dont have 1 team. I have a roster. This is a RPG/MMO card game more than anything else

so, it depends
    Post edited by Xceptor on
  • Xceptor
    55 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The fact that you start your thread saying you are always number 1, and just in case we miss it you embolden it. You've been asked several times to post your team, so please do so. Also, please give me your ally code so I can see this for myself.

It annoys me when people claim they dominate when they are F2P, join my server where the number 1 ranked guy is 6 levels above me and has 4000 more power than me (even though we started at the same time) then tell me that it's easy.

I made this thread BECAUSE i manage to sustain my hitting the 1 spot when needed. Dont you understand?
    Im level 60 ofc, I dont have any real disadvantage to the rest. being lower level is a MASSIVE disadvantage . If I was 6 level lower than my opponents i would never be able to win them. NEVER

Dont be bitter,
    level up
    Pay or not pay, level cap is for everyone :)

P.S. Edit: I made a spot for you sir :) add me
    P.S2 : my code is 686-692-318
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    These threads are silly. P2W WILL win every time. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll win 100% of their matches, but they will win in the long run by out spending you simply in refreshes. That's fine. But ignoring (or worse...pretending it doesn't exist) the massive advantage given by the existing chromium exclusive toons makes you looks even sillier.

It's only going to get worse as they introduce new chromium exclusive toons. Where I'll be done with this game is when/if they introduce a Jedi Luke Skywalker that is chromium exclusive. The only small hope I have that they've seen the light is that all the new TFA toons are farmable.

The only difference between p2w and f2p should be the speed advantage...and that's it.
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    Options
    Guess what OP? 100% of my arena losses this last week have come to Ren owners below player level 53. Must be a coincidence and a statistical anomaly
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depends on the day and what I think the top 4 are playing before i fight them
    It goes around to
    Luminara 7,JC 7,Geonosian 7
    IG86 6,Sid 7,POE or Chewie 6,etc
    Okay. The guy usually in the #1 spot on my server has a 7* FOTP, 7* Qui-Gon Jinn, 7* Leia, 7* Old Ben and one other I forget. You really think your team would last more than a minute against him? I do not.
    If you are getting to #1 with that team, you just are on a very low-power shard. I can't even ATTEMPT the top 5 now without using crystals. (I've finished as high as #2 or #3 several times earlier.)
  • Options
    Benr3600 wrote: »
    Guess what OP? 100% of my arena losses this last week have come to Ren owners below player level 53. Must be a coincidence and a statistical anomaly

you are 60 and lose when you fight a 53 player with ren??
    I fought lots of rens, some high levelled one (one frequent 1st guy uses a FO squad). I dont understand how its possible to lose a fight of you 60 vs an AI controlled 53 ....

can you twitch it or fraps it for youtube?
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    Options
    Benr3600 wrote: »

you are 60 and lose when you fight a 53 player with ren??
    I fought lots of rens, some high levelled one (one frequent 1st guy uses a FO squad). I dont understand how its possible to lose a fight of you 60 vs an AI controlled 53 ....

can you twitch it or fraps it for youtube?

Strawman, I never said I am 60.