Is 10 Days per character the goal?

Prev1345
Varlie
1286 posts Member
So there has been a lot of discussion/complaints/ arguments about the lack of credits in the game.
Yes, it's another one of those posts, but I'm hoping to take a different angle at it.

From my what I can make out, it costs right around 6,597,410 credits to take a level 1 3-star character to 7 stars and level 80. Someone with better math skills than me may give a better number but here is how I came to that cost.
Gear 1>2 6x 0 cost = 0
Gear 2>3 6x ~1300 = 7800
Gear 3>4 6x ~1600 = 9600
Gear 4>5 6x ~2000 = 12000
Gear 5>6 6x ~2400 = 14400
Gear 6>7 6x ~2600 = 15600
Gear 7>8 6x ~3500 = 21000
Gear 8>9 6x ~5000 = 30000 (This may be off as I don't have a lot of 9s but I've seen some for 1300

To train a character from 1 to 80 is 4,637,010
Promotions:
3>4 = 100,000
4>5 = 250,000
5>6 = 500,000
6>7 = 1,000,000

Add these all up and we get 6,597,410

Discounting raids and the Bounty Hunter Challenges, I work daily earnable credits to be 644,800.

So that's 10 full days to take one character from 1st to 80th level assuming you have the shards available to promote them at one time. This is dropped a day or so with raids and the Bounty Hunter challenge but that's also figuring you aren't working on any other characters at the time.

So, I ask again, is 1 character per 10 days the dev's intended progression speed for players?

Replies

• drdavee
    155 posts Member
    I think this sounds fair. The credit system is fine. You are not suppose to get 20 level 80's in 1 day.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    I never asked for 20 level 80s in 1 day.
    If you have been playing since November and you have collected a large number of (mostly ignored) character shards, it shouldn't take 10 days per.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    If you level them gradually as shards are collected it's not as much of a shock when it's time to put them in the arena or wherever.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Sadly yes this seems to be the case and it's working as the devs intended. I shudder to think just how much money they've made from people desperately buying credit packs to level up their squads. I know I have on more than one occasion before I realized that I'm literally throwing my money away to get 5 characters one level higher. Nowadays I'll only level someone if they absolutely need it to equip new gear or level up an ability.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • drdavee
    155 posts Member
    Just level up the ones you want to level up instead of leveling up everybody just because you want to. If you really want to level up everybody, drop another thousand bucks and you get your immediate pleasure.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Plus one trrrey.
    I dont want to level any toon unless to unlock gear or ability.
    There is always another toon i would rather level and gear than to make 5 toons max lvl.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I focused on my arena team and GW team as I was levelling up. I have a nice bunch of characters already fully leveled and I was actually looking forward to hitting 80 which I did last week so I can work on others that I would use for alternate tactics.

I have purchased the credit pack a couple times as tRRRey did but I also realized how much of a scam that is and refuse to do so again. Has anyone ever seen the mysterious x2 or x3 on these?

@EA_Jesse @CG_JohnSalera - So we've seen that some of the players have come to accept it, just hoping to get a comment from a developer if this is your selected pace or is it something you are looking at with the other changes mentioned in the weekly update.
  • drdavee
    155 posts Member
    Heh, I wouldn't worry about leveling somebody up in 10 days. It take much longer than 10 days to level up all the skills of one character
  • This will be fine once you hit 80 and have your main squad at 80. People are complaining now because it's extremely hard to level more than 5 characters from 70 to 80, while also working on other characters. Once everyone is 80 they will start using their credits on other characters and the complaining will stop.

PS - Can anyone name another mobile game where you can get max level/star/geared characters as ftp as easily as this one?
  • In order to acquire ten toons with level 80, we would need 65 million credit, where assuming we earn 650k credit per day, it would take us 100 days (~3 months 8.5 days).

In order to acquire twenty toons with level 80, we would need 130 million credit, where assuming we earn 650k credit per day, it would take us 200 days (~6 months 17 days).

In order to acquire thirty toons with level 80, we would need 195 million credit, where assuming we earn 650k credit per day, it would take us 300 days (~9 month 25.5 days).

So for an average competitive player, who has 20+ toons, it would take more than 6 months to almost 10 months to level all toons they have to level 80 7* assuming they always finish Credit Challenge and Galactic War.

Now, let's talk about gearing...
  • I feel like this is fair. You should have to make hard decisions about who to level and pay the consequences if you choose someone that quickly gets nerfed or isn't that great. I want to level everyone too but that wouldn't make me continue playing and paying for this game. Alleviate the difficulty of GW if you want but the credit crunch is more like choosing wisely than being able to instantly be gratified.
  • Varlie wrote: »
    I focused on my arena team and GW team as I was levelling up. I have a nice bunch of characters already fully leveled and I was actually looking forward to hitting 80 which I did last week so I can work on others that I would use for alternate tactics.

I have purchased the credit pack a couple times as tRRRey did but I also realized how much of a scam that is and refuse to do so again. Has anyone ever seen the mysterious x2 or x3 on these?

@EA_Jesse @CG_JohnSalera - So we've seen that some of the players have come to accept it, just hoping to get a comment from a developer if this is your selected pace or is it something you are looking at with the other changes mentioned in the weekly update.

I've caught a few 2x 3x. I do occasionally buy 1 for immediate satisfaction.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    10 days for a character actually doesnt sound that bad. it feels way worse than just 10 days.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • StarSon
    7432 posts Member
    drdavee wrote: »
    I think this sounds fair. The credit system is fine. You are not suppose to get 20 level 80's in 1 day.
    fudgra wrote: »
    If you level them gradually as shards are collected it's not as much of a shock when it's time to put them in the arena or wherever.
    Just level up the ones you want to level up instead of leveling up everybody just because you want to. If you really want to level up everybody, drop another thousand bucks and you get your immediate pleasure.

You all miss the point. Yes, if you do it gradually (i.e. 1 or 2 at a time) you can do it. No, we do not want 20 level 80s in one day (and levels aren't even the biggest problem). Ultimately, this post, rather than complain, seeks to determine if the intended pace is 1 toon per 10 days.

Considering we are up to about 85 toons, in a game intended to last at least 8 years, with new toons added every month, I would bet that 10days/toon is not intended.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    fudgra wrote: »

You all miss the point. Yes, if you do it gradually (i.e. 1 or 2 at a time) you can do it. No, we do not want 20 level 80s in one day (and levels aren't even the biggest problem). Ultimately, this post, rather than complain, seeks to determine if the intended pace is 1 toon per 10 days.

Considering we are up to about 85 toons, in a game intended to last at least 8 years, with new toons added every month, I would bet that 10days/toon is not intended.

Maybe but honestly, that's if you're free to play.
  • leef wrote: »
    10 days for a character actually doesnt sound that bad. it feels way worse than just 10 days.

Yes, 10 days for a character is only for leveling and staring, but isn't including the credit cost for crafting gear or the time spent for acquiring gear.

When including the credit cost for crafting gear, it takes about 2 extra days in total of 12 days for a character.
    When including the credit cost for crafting gear and the time spent for acquiring gears, it takes about 30 to 50 extra days in total of 40-60 days to max a character.

Nevertheless, 40-60 days to max a character isn't including the time spent for farming character shards.

So I think we are looking at 70-90 days to max a character.
  • StarSon
    7432 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Yes, 10 days for a character is only for leveling and staring, but isn't including the credit cost for crafting gear or the time spent for acquiring gear.

When including the credit cost for crafting gear, it takes about 2 extra days in total of 12 days for a character.
    When including the credit cost for crafting gear and the time spent for acquiring gears, it takes about 30 to 50 extra days in total of 40-60 days to max a character.

Nevertheless, 40-60 days to max a character isn't including the time spent for farming character shards.

Only if you spread it out. Realistically, if you are actively working on someone, you are gearing/levelling whilst you are starring them.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member

What about ability mats? Purple mats are some of the hardest components to get in this game, even heavy spenders have trouble with them
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Seems fine to me. 10 days is very reasonable.
  • Hambone
    79 posts Member
    Um, just a note: the developers do not need our help figuring things out regarding timing and probability. They know. They know, intimately and with ultimate granular detail, everything.

Think of it this way. Say 25 people come here to argue that X is too hard. The developers can look at the data and know, immediately, that the completion rate of whatever is at issue is X%. And they can instantly sort this same data according to player level, money spent, number of unlocked toons, time played, average gear level -- or anything else you can imagine. If they intended the completion rate to be 10% and it is in fact 2%, they know this immediately and can change it immediately (for example, Yoda's last outing, where they did exactly that).

The most conceivable influence arguments can have here is to either (a) alert the developers to look into a given data set that they had perhaps overlooked or (b) to alert them that a certain parameter set is producing an unappealing experience.

The first is probably pretty unlikely. They pay attention, and are constantly tweaking the margins to achieve the desired result. And this desired result is, not to be a spoiler, to maximize profits. Now, of course, maximizing profits requires balancing entertainment and frustration (in order to motivate spending). This is a delicate balancing act. And for that exact reason, the assumption that they aren't aware of the real data is likely incorrect.

For the second, this clearly plays a role. If enough of the customer base persuades the developers that a given feature is not enjoyable, of course they will change it. The would be foolish not to. But, again, the data will be a far more important factor in this than anything else. Having 100 people complain loudly here that GW is too difficult and needs to be changed will be (a) irrelevant if the data says that the completion rate is 95% or (b) apparently hugely influential if the date says the completion rate is 25%. But, data comes first.

Rambled a bit. But the bottom line, whenever you find yourself "doing the math" and expecting to tell the developers something they don't already know -- or claiming that the math demonstrates something that was not intended -- you might want to think again. Sure, you can argue that it is not fun and should be different. That's legit, and folks may disagree or agree or whatever. But "unintended" is likely not the right way to make your case, if your are indeed looking to build a case.

Just my thoughts.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    The grind is very fair for stars and levels. The gear grind however, not a fan at all.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Finn
    111 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Credit crunch is not an issue when there was no raid and and cap was 70 increasing cap mean u need to level up ur arena team the cost from 1-70 is 2,414,355 while the cost from 1-80 is 4,636,584 that's like 200k short from twice the cost for only 10 level comparing to 70 to add raids u need full roster team 5-6-7* depend on what raid level ur competing so while I used to level 5 from arena and 3-4 for GW I need to get 12-14 more toons to promote gear level up so yeah 10 days multiples by 12 toons only 3 month of saving credits ops then again EA raise cap
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

the OP includes gear crafting costs.
    you can max a character from galactic war store from 0 to lvl80, g8, 7* in 22 days. higher gear depends on raids and/or shipments with furnaces. And we really shouldnt bring the gear struggles into this thread about credits.
    so i dont think 10 days is that bad. Maintaining an increasing amount of toons all whilst player leveling up is horrible. lvl 80 will be the first lvl cap i actually reach before its raised. cant wait to spend credits on those toons that are just waiting for credits te become available. 10days aint that bad
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • drdavee
    155 posts Member
    Finn wrote: »
    Credit crunch is not an issue when there was no raid and and cap was 70 increasing cap mean u need to level up ur arena team the cost from 1-70 is 2,414,355 while the cost from 1-80 is 4,636,584 that's like 200k short from twice the cost for only 10 level comparing to 70 to add raids u need full roster team 5-6-7* depend on what raid level ur competing so while I used to level 5 from arena and 3-4 for GW I need to get 12-14 more toons to promote gear level up so yeah 10 days multiples by 12 toons only 3 month of saving credits ops then again EA raise cap

This is no different from any other game. For instance, in World of Warcraft there is a grind to max level, then a grind to max equipment, by the time you get there, max level is raised and all your gear is outdated. They are doing nothing different here.
  • Sparrow
    525 posts Member
    I feel like this is fair. You should have to make hard decisions about who to level and pay the consequences if you choose someone that quickly gets nerfed or isn't that great. I want to level everyone too but that wouldn't make me continue playing and paying for this game. Alleviate the difficulty of GW if you want but the credit crunch is more like choosing wisely than being able to instantly be gratified.

I think you accidentally hit the nail on the head here.

On the one hand we have people saying pick your toons and keep that number small and not a problem.

But on the other hand every time someone complains about the meta and how everyone is running the same team or how gw is so horrible, well there is one solution to all of those problems. A deeper roster. The more toons you have the easier gw is, the more toons you have the more possibilities open up in arena.

Sadly though as it is now we basically only have the resources (credits and gear) to focus on a few toons at a time meaning we can't afford to experiment and try anything new. So the whales set the meta and the FTP follow behind cause we can't afford to level and gear a bunch of toons to see if they work.
  • Sparrow
    525 posts Member
    Also think about the new event, unless you already have the squad for it, it's 50days just to earn the credits to make a viable squad........ they don't give us nearly enough notice for that
  • Finn
    111 posts Member
    Yep fellow the whales they can afford it and thanks to them I am playing this game for free ;) keep it up guys need to get all the free toons to be ready for any shift in power
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    I'm ok with a grind to get enough shards for a toon. I'm ok with a grind to level up a toon. I'm ok with a grind to gear a toon. I'm ok with a grind to upgrade a toons abilities. What i have a problem with is having to grind for all of these things all at once for every toon i want to use. Its too much grindy grind. I'm not asking them to give us anything handed to us on a silver platter. But it would be nice if at least one of these things wasn't such a pain. Increasing credtis (and maybe training droids) is the easiest way to make this game a little less grindy. Even a 25% bump would make a big difference.
  • they already did a tweak on credits gain.....they dropped it !
    i don't think they're going back to the beginning and revert that update by giving back what we had the first months. it's not only about level cap , the problem is the credits gain that was higher before and okay
    but as they stated "it wasn't intended that way" so they dropped all credits gain and chars cost more to level up. there's no balance in the force ;)

Story mode : 1560 credits for 20 energies
    droids event : 19,000 credits for 20 energies
    what do you get for 1500 credits ?? nothing
  • Annastrasza
    1766 posts Member
    +1 - powerleveling is not the intent if you just want to casually enjoy the game.

It's required only if you want to jump into higher tier raids quicker.

Totally depends on your play style.

Before you invest too much just take it easy and make sure u truly enjoy the game.