Farming Leia the hard way

Prev1
orange12
53 posts Member
So with Leia appearing regularly in shipments at a premium cost of 320 crystals for 4 shards (that's 80 crystals per shard compared to 50 for "normal" toons), is anyone actually farming her this way?

I managed to get Leia in a chromium drop a while back but she unlocks at a lowly 2*. Doing some back of the napkin math here, it'll take 25+50+65+85+100=325 shards to get her to 7* which equates to 325x80=26,000 crystals. Yikes.

Let's pretend that I go monk and abstain from spending any crystals and I manage to gain on average 200 crystals per day. That still takes 130 days, or about 4.3 months, just to collect enough crystals to get Leia up to 7*. That doesn't take into account that her shipment doesn't appear daily so actually getting the shards will take even longer.

Meanwhile, that whole time, I'm not refreshing any energies or pvp's which slows down the progress of the rest of my roster.

So who's actually going down this crazy F2P path of farming Leia?

Replies

• Hbk146
    215 posts Member
    Go for the gear instead. Far more valuable than any chromium toons.
  • Gwonk
    239 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    orange12 wrote: »

There is your problem, no one (I know) is doing this that is F2P.
  • It's just a way for whales to finish off toons that didn't drop to the full 7*s in all of their chromium purchases. That's all.
  • Monxie
    559 posts Member
    I have a 3* Leia but not planning to boost her since there's no good way to farm her.... Would love to have her at 7* but it's not worth the crystals IMO. You can get several Gear 9-10 teams with these crystals.
  • JJWZP5
    440 posts Member
    I have Rex at 5* and I'm farming him this way, but I'm not f2p and know it'll be a long & expensive farm
  • I'm almost done from 38/100 to 100/100. Only fpr the Empire Assault event. Only.
  • im going down that long and lonely path
  • Panna
    210 posts Member
    I'm farming her that way but I already had a near 6* Leia before I started
    ARK - Alliance Of Rebel Knights | Editor & Graphics Designer | https://swgoh.gg/u/panna/
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Well if you took the price of a vault of crystals to find the cost of maxing Leia through shipments you get around $168. ($99.99/15710)*26,400 crystals since you need 330 shards total
    It definitely would take longer than opening mass chromiums but in the long run you save a significant amount of money. This method is for people that want a p2p character without participating in the chromium lottery. It's not a feasible way to get p2p characters for f2p players without crippling progress in other areas.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • I would not do this for Leia.
  • Ewakawaka
    129 posts Member
    I had her at 4 stars and some change due to some late night chromium openings. I buy the booster pack and have pretty much quit refreshing unless needed to get the 600 points for guild contribution. I buy the Leia's when I can. I'm at 99/65 now. So that's about 12k more crystals to 7 star and about 37 days assuming I buy the shipment each day. I'll probably finish about they time they put her in cantina shipments.

Actually, I might be done now with it. Probably. Maybe. I dunno.
  • Veritasum
    754 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I already had her at 5* plus when she came into shipments. So instead of more chromiums, I'm farming her from shipments. I have her now at 6*+23. I would not consider doing it this way for someone from scratch. But I figured I was close enough to pull the trigger without the risk of getting a bunch of shards for toons I'll likely never use.

I have pretty much suspended refreshes of energy though except for cantina once a week to try and level out the cost.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Hbk146 wrote: »
    Go for the gear instead. Far more valuable than any chromium toons.

@Hbk146
    They sure are making it close to not being like that. Rex/Leia/Sun Fac/B2 are all locked behind a pay wall and they are becoming (except B2, i mean, he was just released) almost required for super META teams.

If trends continue, F2P will be forced to spend either crystals or real money to stay competitive. Time will only tell.
  • The 4 shard packs are really geared towards those people who bought chromium packs and are sorry a few shards from 7*ing toons.

FTP players should not even look at these packs in the shipment.
    Green_Legend_Ran A storm is coming...
  • pabrimmer
    274 posts Member
    edited June 2016

I am.

Depending on my luck as to what rank I stay overnight and if I actually have time or the inclination between 6-7pm to shoot for a top 10 arena rank, I usually get a top 20 arena payout, occasionally a top 10, and occasionally only a top 50. So with dailies and GW completed, I earn a minimum of 227 crystals, maximum 327 per day. I used to do 2 regular refreshes and a cantina refresh every day, for an expenditure of 200 crystals. Now, I'm just doing one regular and one cantina for 150, so I gain 77-177 crystals per day, usually 127. I'll be able to buy Leia shards at least twice a week, and at that rate, I'll have her maxed in 38 weeks (I'm at 31 shards today).

I know that's a long time, and it's slowing down my farming of other shards and gear. However, I don't care for 2 reasons.

1, there's such a gear bottleneck from gear VIII to IX currently, that I can't see how it's going to matter. Since raid gear was added, I've unlocked, fully starred and leveled Ventress and Akbar, and I added Akbar after I started farming Leia. Both of them quickly reached 5/6 gear VIII and they have a looooooong wait for their callers/furnaces/whatevers to get to IX. I expect any new characters I unlock to also race to gear VIII in spite of only doing one refresh, long before I'm ready to promote them to IX, so slowing down on gear clearly doesn't matter.

2, as far as getting slowed down on character shards, it's already annoying enough that shard acquisition so drastically outpaces credit and gear acquisition, so who cares?

And as for the long wait, I already hard node farmed Rey to 7*, so I can handle a long term project.
    Barris irl imo idk
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    I am f2p and i am doing refreshes on shipments (i am going to stop that soon) and i am also farming for Rex. I am insane i know, but you have to remember this is a game first and foremost and you have to do whatever you think you should do. Fun comes above all.
  • Thysk
    85 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I managed to get Leia in a chromium drop a while back but she unlocks at a lowly 2*. Doing some back of the napkin math here, it'll take 25+50+65+85+100=325 shards to get her to 7* which equates to 325x80=26,000 crystals. Yikes.

Small correction. The upgrade to 4 stars is 30 not 50.

It's 330 total shards for a character.

10 + 15 + 25 + *30* + 65 + 85 + 100 = 330

of which you have the first 25 done by unlocking the full character.

25 + 30 + 65 + 85 + 100 = 305

• Whitchit
    186 posts Member
    Had her at 4*... Figure she will be arena viable at 6*.... That's only a month assuming she shows up 1.33333 times a day
  • Don't know about grinding out 7*. In the amount of time it would take to do that, the meta could change multiple times and the character you started grinding out could lose its edge, defeating the purpose of investing that much effort in one toon.
  • Hellcat
    319 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    It's doable, but you run the risk that 4 months later they make Leia farmable at Cantina or something; everybody rejoice while you let out a gigantic "doh!" (See: Old Ben)
    If you are going to farm a toon this way I suggest you to go with Sun Fac. At least he is newer and less likely to go farmable.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Anything for Leia
    {RotE}
  • LaLiam wrote: »
    Anything for Leia

2REyGyE.png
    Green_Legend_Ran A storm is coming...
  • Daezl
    177 posts Member
    I'm farming Rex this way. Should have him unlocked at four stars next week. I'm not entirely F2P as I usually buy the crystal subscription, but I'm at level 80 with something like 20 characters at seven stars and gear 7 or above, so I have drastically cut back on energy refreshed and usually finish top five in arena. Sure I could buy furnaces, but my arena team is mostly maxed and I don't struggle with GW so why not go for the long farm and get a leg up.
  • PugVader
    438 posts Member
    I need 12 shards to get Leia but haven't bothered. At 2* she's virtually useless and not worth the crystals.
  • clagsmd
    50 posts Member
    I'm doing it for Leia. Def not a whale, but willing to spend $40-60 on the game total. I have a rebel team going with Ackbar as leader, and she's the perfect fit. Might eventually do an original 5 team from episode 5, so would need her to go along with versions of Luke, Han, Ben, and Chewie.

I think it just comes down to your own preference. I'm willing to spend a little money and she's a classic character that is key to the team/style I'm building. If you are set on FTP, then I don't think it would be worth it, especially now that you can farm Rey in the guild store. If it's not worth it to you, then there a plenty of other quality farmable toons if you want to be FTP.
    *in game: MC3P0 - The Ewoking Deads
  • pabrimmer
    274 posts Member
    Hellcat wrote: »
    It's doable, but you run the risk that 4 months later they make Leia farmable at Cantina or something; everybody rejoice while you let out a gigantic "doh!" (See: Old Ben)
    If you are going to farm a toon this way I suggest you to go with Sun Fac. At least he is newer and less likely to go farmable.

Yeah, I've considered this, but at $5 spent so far, and only considering perhaps a one time crystal sub, I can't really bother with chasing the meta anyway, may as well go for characters and archetypes I just like. I like Leia and Rebels, and could care less about Sun Fac and Geonosians.

This game is going to be a continual balancing act, like many others before it, between tankiness, damage, healing, or other factors being the strongest. A glass cannon like Leia may rotate in and out of OP-ness from time to time, but it's unlikely to ever be useless. At the very least, she'll win on offense, right? And, as I mentioned in my prior response, I don't think I'm giving up much, at least in the current state of the game, to buy her shards directly with crystals. If gear stops being the primary obstacle to developing a character, I may have to reconsider the long Leia farm...
    Barris irl imo idk
  • Her shards show in the Empire booster thing. Seems like a nice alternative
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    I'm considering doing this as I've gotten burned too many times on chromium packs in the past. At this point I'd only buy a chromium pack if they vastly changed the distribution of what can actually drop. The pricing model is so insane for this game. I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars but I'll never even get close to seven starring anything with that much :(
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    I've been burned far too much by chromes that I decided to finish Leia and Rex through shipments. It's expensive but much cheaper unless you really value the shards for other toons as well.
  • pabrimmer
    274 posts Member
    Elyndria wrote: »
    I'm considering doing this as I've gotten burned too many times on chromium packs in the past. At this point I'd only buy a chromium pack if they vastly changed the distribution of what can actually drop. The pricing model is so insane for this game. I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars but I'll never even get close to seven starring anything with that much :(

This was my thinking exactly. As a newb, I was saving crystals towards a chromium 8 pack, but luckily hit the forums in time to find out how much real money you would have to sink into chromiums to average out to any thing of value. 320 crystals for 4 shards of the exact character I want is a bargain in comparison.

Barris irl imo idk