Promote current characters or unlock new characters?

What's up guys!!

I'm a free to play player and was wondering what you guys would suggest? Do I promote characters I have or do I unlock new characters?

Replies

• This sorta depends on your lineup as is, but the short answer is its complicated lol. Given that ur new getting some of the chars; chewie, Jedi consular, and talia to 4 star is a small investment over the long run. It's def a good idea to get a game plan together for the type of team u would want to run down the road and work towards unlocking them.
  • Well I would use a hybrid strategy. For your main squad keep promoting unless you plan to replace them soon. So Sid, Lumi, etc you could promote.

Unlocking new characters can fill in holes in your lineup though. Just don't spread yourself too thin.
  • Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    Well I would use a hybrid strategy. For your main squad keep promoting unless you plan to replace them soon. So Sid, Lumi, etc you could promote.

Unlocking new characters can fill in holes in your lineup though. Just don't spread yourself too thin.

How thin is too thin? How many characters should I have to have a chance at a run through GW?
  • Jyykson,
    I have 26 characters at the moment and can make it through GW about 80% of the time.

KingAlex325,
    In the beginning focus on your main squad. This will help you get through and unlock new maps and content. But eventually you will need many character (both Light and Dark and Classes) to complete all content that comes up, i.e, Events, Arena, GW, Light Side Maps and Dark Side Maps. You will use a different squad for each thing you do. It is a grind, but its fun. I am F2P, about to hit lvl 60 and I feel I am competitive on my server. Just finish your daily rewards ever day, and I would suggest using your two 50 gem refills per day to help with Gearing up your heros. GEAR is Greater than STARS. Hope that helps
  • obiwan1011
    396 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Jyykson wrote: »
    Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    Well I would use a hybrid strategy. For your main squad keep promoting unless you plan to replace them soon. So Sid, Lumi, etc you could promote.

How thin is too thin? How many characters should I have to have a chance at a run through GW?

IMHO, it's quality over quantity and the number of healers is the most critical factor in completing GW as they can rotate in and out to heal up your A Team. I have 4 healers in my roster and usually only need 5-6 other heroes to complete GW - unless my RNG for the day decides to betray me. ;)
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    I've had the best luck once I had two and 1/2 GW team (about 12-13 characters). I've also really spread myself thin and have been training up about 20 characters up until around level 45. Now that I am 55 I am finding it very difficult to upgrade my core characters all the way. I can keep them at level but their skills and gear are falling behind.
    I would work on 10 but focus on top 5.
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    Both. I am currently unlocking just to finally unlock Vader but then will continue farming only my top 10 shards.
  • obiwan1011 wrote: »
    Jyykson wrote: »
    Cpt_Dan wrote: »

IMHO, it's quality over quantity and the number of healers is the most critical factor in completing GW as they can rotate in and out to heal up your A Team. I have 4 healers in my roster and usually only need 5-6 other heroes to complete GW - unless my RNG for the day decides to betray me. ;)

This is a great response. You want a main squad starred up as best you can with good gear and abilities trained.

After that you get heroes for one specific purpose to deal with a certain threat. These heroes will be typically geared enough to survive but only train the important ability. All that's left then is your cannon fodder.

Then, you can work on bringing other heroes up to the level of your main squad giving you the best GW team. You should clear the first half really easy most days. And the second half you win by rotating in other heroes.

For example I sub out my Jedi heroes, except for Barriss when I have a Sid/Dooku combination so that I can try to kill them both before I bring my Jedi back.

I have another squad for when I'm facing slower, heavy hitters. I want speed and to get 2-3 attacks before they are fully under way.

You'll pick it up as you go. It is much easier for paying players here but so many great options exist even for free players.

• Bottom line is get old daka first to have a good darkside healer. Darkside is easier to get thru if u have the characters so u can farm purple items at 5/6/7. upgrade chewy and consulars gear and maybe consulars star level. Chewy is the only good tank at start and youll waste currency geting another. Dark side is so gimped tho....u may want to get classic stormtrooper but hes nothing special....Make sure you complete all dailies every day. I never used xrystals ONCE to refresh energy and im doing ok. Just wish i didnt boost any characters i got from chromium packs.
    **** thing is at launch it was a level playing field so gettng a good rank was easy and lots of currency. Now its tricky if u just starting.

If u got a little cash i recommend getting the crystal boost packs for like 5 bucks whenever they come around. Well worth it.

Luminara and barris are badass healers too with great leader skills