Major Bug involving Debuff Timers and their Duration

Naecabon
1243 posts Member
I've noticed something off with Jawa Engineer's primary attack since I first started using him. The text of the skill reads as follows:

"Apply a Detonator to target enemy that detonates after 1 turn, dealing damage."

After using the skill, this felt wrong to me. It wasn't actually detonating after one turn, it was detonating after two. Sort of.

To me, when something reads "for 1 turn" or "after 1 turn," it should last one action/turn for the person it's applied to. Meaning, their turn meter fills, they take an action, and the 1 turn effect either disappears or explodes as it's meant to. I mean, this is how it works for buffs - if a buff "lasts for 1 turn," it fades off immediately after they've filled up their turn meter and taken an action.

So why, then, was JE not detonating his bombs until the second action? And why was it at the START of the action, and not at the end of the turn? This seemed like a bug.

But I had no proof. I couldn't "prove" that there were debuffs functioning incorrectly.

Until today!

I have discovered a bug that recreates exactly what I'm discussing up above, and I stumbled on it purely by accident using my droids team. Anyone can recreate this themselves and see exactly what I'm talking about. Hopefully, if this is fixed, JE's bombs will begin to work properly - by exploding at the end of ONE turn and not waiting around for a second. (He'd actually be really good!)

The two characters you need to run this experiment are HK and IG88.

Both characters have AOEs that apply Ability Block on an AOE, and both of these Ability blocks read "for 1 turn."

But the results are not the same! One of them functions properly, and the other functions with the same bug as JE.

First, experiment with HK. Throw the bomb in to a group of enemies, and as long as one of them is affected by Ability Block, keep an eye on that character. When that character takes his next turn, watch for the end - Ability Block will fade off and disappear. This is the correct functionality.

Now, experiment with IG88. Use his AOE (so long as it's upgraded to include Ability Block) and check for anyone affected by Ability Block. Now keep a close eye on these guys - watch them take their first action, and then... what's this? Ability Block is still there? It didn't fade off!

In the one hand, you may think "Why is IG88's ability block lasting two turns?" but in the other hand, watch for their next turn when their turn meter fills up. Like clockwork, the Ability Block fades off BEFORE they take their action. For some reason, it needlessly hung around and waited until the start of their second turn. Basically, causing the duration to last 1.5x turns instead of one.

This has real lasting implications although you may not realize it right away. Consider Rey - this bug is allowing the debuff of Ability Block to hang around on her a whole phase longer than it's supposed to be. This means if she gets called to assist or what have you, she's actually losing damage! This is a real bug to be taken seriously.

But if it's fixed, HOORAY! Jawa Engineer will actually start working CORRECTLY, and his bombs will explode when they're supposed to! This will be a FANTASTIC fix for him.

I guess maybe in the coding the duration is specified incorrectly for some of these skills? I have no idea, but it should be investigated IMO.

Here's hoping we get a fully functional JE soon!

Replies

• Excellent depiction of the issue at hand. I can clearly understand the problem and agree it needs a fix. If the bomb exploded when it should, the character could be killed; however, by waiting, it gives a chance for a healer heal or a debuffer to debuff. However, so many toons now have bugs, I sometimes think the community should really begin to demand fixes en masse. I mean many of us are paying for this game and not getting what we're paying for...I believe that's called a bait and switch. I mean they release these characters, rake in the money, and make us wait months for a fix. Common sense and the law says: don't sell something until it works AS ADVERTISED!!!!!!!!
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Well considering the number of healers I see in arena, this would make je worse in one way.

By going off on (and taking out) a toon just prior to his second action, the toon will be around to buff one or two of 88s attacks. And on an aoe, a hit will increase droid tm. You just have to be confident of when it will go off. And that it will be enough to take out the toon. Then u can ignore the toon.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Well considering the number of healers I see in arena, this would make je worse in one way.

By going off on (and taking out) a toon just prior to his second action, the toon will be around to buff one or two of 88s attacks. And on an aoe, a hit will increase droid tm. You just have to be confident of when it will go off. And that it will be enough to take out the toon. Then u can ignore the toon.

I would take bombs exploding when they're supposed to in exchange for that toon no longer being on the field any day ;)

That same IG88 will needlessly attack the toon with the bomb debuff waiting to die from it when the AI is piloting it, which is MUCH worse
  • https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/15197/one-turn-debuff-question
    We discussed this in our guild a few times. One of our slugs brought up this same topic. Hk47 seems to apply his debuuffs for the remainder of their turn. That seems worthless, seeING that most characters have at least some turn meter when he applies debuff. By the time your team attacks all of the debuffs are gone. What's the point of defense down if they dispell it before you can attack? Seems like a bug with Hk and JE, not ig88.