Could someone from CG please clarify drop rate chances from missions?

Prev13
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited January 2016
For me and many others, the single most frustrating thing in this game is the low and unpredictable drop rate from doing hard missions. We are extremely limited in how many we can do, and the drop rate is the lowest for these characters among any method available of obtaining shards in the game.
Example: I have been trying for weeks to get Dooku from 4* to 5*. Even when I pay crystals to get extra tries, I rarely get more than 1 or 2 shards out of 6 attempts. Today I got 2 out of 12 tries, which cost 100 crystals and 144 energy (more than a full refill). There was a thread where someone did 20 or 30 tries on a character with no shards at all.
I understand that you don't want everyone to get every character to 7* in a week, and that's fine. But the drop rates right now are so low that it's not even worth attempting many characters. At the rate I see shards these days, for example, I am not even bothering trying to get Rey, because it would literally take me 6 months and countless energy refills to get her high enough rank to be worth deploying.
This seems like a waste to me. We should be competing based on our ability to make good teams and strategize, not based on who has the patience to sit there going 0/6 or 1/6 for the most days in a row.
It would be useful at least if someone from CG ( @CG_JohnSalera ? ) could clarify the drop rates, and if not that, at least please squash the rumors that the game deliberately reduces the drop rates when you are close to unlocking or promoting a character. (Which, FWIW, I don't believe, I think it's just confirmation bias.)
Thanks.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Options
    @Qeltar Hear hear
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    All toons should be farmable similar to the cantina table. Happy customers are paying customers. Unhappy customers are the ones that realize that it takes a large cash investment, a long period of time, and animal sacrifices to RNGezus. Those are the people who either quit or realize that it's not worth investing any money in the game.

I have not noticed any change in shard drop rate after refreshes, and I'm currently refreshing both Anakin JK nodes and Rey's node. Some days I get lucky; others I don't. I highly doubt there's a difference in code the closer you get to unlock. However, even if there is you won't get anyone at CG to admit it as they know how unethical that would be.

TLDR: It's doubtful there's any purposeful change in shard drop rate. I hear RNGeezus likes cats.
  • Options
    The drop rates are the same for every attempt, regardless how many refreshes you've done or how close you are to a threshold number. Or anything else for that matter.

It's the most "fair" approach, but we agree it can lead to long stretches of no drops which feels frustrating.

(Of course, it also leads to long stretches of getting the drops but we're human and quickly forget those times. ;) )

So, for the next major update (not the Player Level increase, but the one after), we're looking to find a way to make it feel better. Once we lock on the approach, @EA_Jesse, @CG_AaronNemoyten, or I can communicate it out.

Hope that helps!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    It does. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. It goes for the equipment too. I spent two 100 crystal refreshes yesterday to try to get a material and I only got 2 pieces out of the 30 attempts. I have been trying to start up my JC and it is excruciatingly slow. I only got 4 shards from 2 full cantina tries yesterday. I am waiting on one of these good stretches ;-)
  • winterme
    18 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

So, for the next major update (not the Player Level increase, but the one after), we're looking to find a way to make it feel better. Once we lock on the approach, @EA_Jesse, @CG_AaronNemoyten, or I can communicate it out.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the communication however I'm a little confused. You are going to make the drops "feel better"?

"You, Winter, are happy with your drops" ............ " I am happy with my drops" seems about the only way to make me "feel better"

all shards,equip,matts are dropped on a RNG basis and yes constant farming is necessary in the game people with dry spells are QUICK to forget when you get 4-7 gear/shards in a row.

The system seems to be fine and intact. ( mind you farmed for one mkIV laptop... 11 tries nothing, but next day 5 in a row so the percentages seem to all balance out) )

Thanks again for the constant communication! It's much appreciated!

• Ease
    16 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi mind tricks?
  • Ailan
    43 posts Member
    Options
    Don't use the old Jedi Mind trick on us though. Our satisfactions are important. No one worry!
  • Options
    Ailan wrote: »
    Don't use the old Jedi Mind trick on us though. Our satisfactions are important. No one worry!

Have you been talking to EA customer service again. Their mind tricks must have worked on you!

2lc5yyu.jpg
  • Options
    "Feel better" seems like an attempt or a try. "Do or do not, there is no try."
  • Ailan
    43 posts Member
    Options

Don't worry. I believe what he is saying is they are going to improve the aversive nature of the system. Behaviorally/mechanically improving the consistency of the drops and having more crests and shorter troughs would improve the user experience, thereby increasing our satisfactions so that we need not worry. So don't worry because this is coming in an update, that will improve the experience.
  • Options
    An easy answer is information to the user. Like, for example, showing what has been the historic hit rate of a drop?

I remember playing a mobile monopoly game (actually, I think it was EA!) and at the end of each round, they would show the distribution of all your dice throws overlayed against the expected distribution.

• Options
    "Feel better" means altering your perception and player experience without altering the business model. Destiny got praised for this when they did things like ensure that purple engrams always decrypted as purple, but they simultaneously nerfed the drop rate of purple engrams so that your chance of getting an actual purple ITEM stayed exactly the same, but with less negative player feeling.

Here it could mean (just for example) increasing how often you get shards, but also adding a corresponding increase in the number of shards required. You feel like you're making more progress and not "wasting" energy on empty drops, but it still requires just as much time or money.

That said, I don't mean for that to sound overly cynical, and I appreciate all efforts to improve player experience. If they make a fair profit and we get to have fun, I'm all for it.
    (The game could use a little more fun and a little less lockouts)
  • Options
    I think you all missed the important part of what was said "next major update after level increase" I taking that as other than a level increase there isn't anything else being updated.
  • RonTom
    268 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If they would display the chance of the drops it would probably feel better? 20% chance for a shard or a purple item, 50% for a green item etc. Some would still be screwed by the RNG, but if i expect something to only drop one out of 5 tries it will feel like a win everytime I do get the item or shard. I would however stop farming hard nodes altogether if the odds are actually that bad...
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ANOTHER 0/6 on Dooku this morning. It makes me want to throw my phone against a wall.
    @CG_JohnSalera please do something about this. Please.
    And by the way, for me at least, there ARE no "long stretches where we get the drops". I have gone 3/3 on a Dooku mission literally never. Not once. After dozens of tries.
    Pacing players is fine, but spending half your energy to make no progress is... no fun. I had been spending crystals to unlock more Dooku missions but today I feel like this will just leave me more frustrated.
  • Options
    Hmm dooku is doing fine for me the past 2 days I had 5/6 and 4/6. But I'm averaging around 2/day. That's a drop rate of around 30%
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm happy for you, but no less frustrated for me.
    If the odds really are the same no matter who is doing it or when, then they need to fix the algorithm so there is less variability. I would gladly give up the chance to go 5/6 or 6/6 in exchange for not having a day where I make no progress at all. (Especially since neither has ever happened to me on any character since I started playing.)
    And unlocking new tries should guarantee at least 1/3. This would make doing it worthwhile, and CG would make more money in the long run because right now everyone advises everyone never to do this. I know only a handful of people doing it, and as I said, I no longer feel like bothering because the only thing more annoying than going 0/6 and wasting 72 energy is going 0/6, wasting 72 energy AND 100 crystals.
  • Options
    Do you have your long run number? Like how long have you been farming dooku and how many shards have you got? That's the only way to estimate your own droprate.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I haven't kept track religiously. But I can estimate.
    I got him when he was first offered to me, which was within 2 days of launch, and have been farming his missions daily since. I'm currently 56/65 to 5*, he unlocked at 3*, so I have gotten 86 shards (one was a GW freebie). It's been about 40 days, but I have also refreshed his nodes about 8 times. So 85 shards in 48 sets of 6 tries, or a little below 30%.
    I try not to be stubborn so I will admit that this surprises me, as I would have figured it was substantially lower than that. Unless I've done my math wrong. Or maybe they made a change at some point. To average near 1/3 I would need a lot of 2/3 to balance out all the 0/3 I get, and the 0/3 are quite frequent. The 2/3 are not.
    With unlocking extra tries on both his nodes I should be averaging 4 shards per day if it's really 1/3, and I most certainly have not be. 4/12 is the BEST I have done. I'm afraid to even try the unlock today.
  • Options
    I also went 0 for six today, again. I have had horrible "luck" for any drops over the last week or two: hard nodes and cantina.
  • Options
    I just hope I finally get Rey by the time Episode VIII comes out.

It took me 3 days to get 1 shard for 1 of my characters to promote, now that was aggravating lol.
  • Options
    My dooku tries in the past week

Friday 0/6 wheres the new year spirit? ;D
    Saturday 2/6
    Monday 1/6
    Tuesday 5/6 wow
    Wednesday 2/6
    Thursday 2/6

Averaging 2/6 makes Me think its 1/3 And its fair
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    You guys are unreal with your claiming about proc chances. It's actually starting to get funny.

*Insert your popcorn smiley here*
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    I think people that complain hardest are being nerfed down by devs. They deliberately write codes for
    - Big spenders
    - F2P
    - Avg spenders
    - Forumwhiners
    - Forumnerfcrying

Only the big and avg spenders have an extra 0.5 proc chance, all other whiners get -1% chance per topic they are complaining in.

/sarcasm off
  • Benji
    16 posts Member
    Options
    I used to think the drop rates were very fair (averaging about 1 in 3), however I've either had horrendous luck it's cantina or they've changed it.... In my last 33 cantina battles (all level 3-1 for JC shards) I've had.... 1 drop! After my 24th battle. So I was 0-23... Shame as it does kill the fun quite a bit.
  • Options
    I had 12/21 JC shards in Cantina today, way above average, happens And Im happy. I dont cry when I get 5/21 either...
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    @Rogerfan

I wish there were more players like you...
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    After getting to 8 Geon shards in 16 attempts, I have now pulled 1 out of 15. No, there is nothing written into the code that drops the rate when close to an unlock or anything. Its. Coincidence that I should have to: use my generated energy; buy a refill; wake up and spend the generated energy; then spend 200 more crystals for more, to unlock a 10 shard hero
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    With 5 million + players I'm sure thousands of people experience the same.
    But you are prolly right. Different code is written especially for you so when others play vs Benr3600 you get 0% winchance.
    Also anyone know the dropchance? If it's 10% for a certain shard or item, it's 10% i.e.
    Can't expect 5 out of 10 in your favor this way. Since no1 knows droprate, no1 can claim it's rigged or not.
This discussion has been closed.