New way to get people to spend - Shard-based ranked PvE Events/Raids

As a newer P2P player, I've been thinking of what could possibly get me to spend more as the attractive options have dwindled fast. Right now I mainly spend crystals just to make sure my Arena team is in tip-top shape. But that's only five characters, and I have little trouble securing #1 every day. I am actually spending under my budget, but when I analyzed all the options, I couldn't find anything worth spending crystals on:

Chromium/Aurordium packs - Since it seems pretty clear that eventually every character in these packs will eventually be put into the game in a F2P node or token award, I see little point in investing the upfront crystals to get these characters a few months earlier. There are plenty of quality F2P characters out there that compete well with exclusive P2P characters.
Droids/Credits - I admit I've bit on these a couple times before, but I don't see myself heavily spending on them. With a bit of patience, these resources come fast enough where my teams will be nicely leveled and starred up.
Energy Refreshes - I will be spending on these a bit until 80, but will slow down a lot once I hit 80.
Gear - I do occasionally pick up the 273 or 300 crystal items and I just farm the 1,400 crystal items.
Raids - Gearing up and starring a large roster is tempting, but it is a vastly expensive effort. I have only been playing for about five weeks, and even though I'm spending quite a bit, I am WAY behind the F2P players who have started from release. Not to mention that the top raiders are getting great rewards and are having their teams being pushed even farther ahead of me, I just see this as a forever losing battle, so I am fine not spending anything to gear out teams and just let the characters level and star up over time with the droids and credits we get innately.

This brings me to my recommendation though. What if there could be something similar to raids, but restricted to the player's shard? Therefore you are just competing against other people who started at a similar time to you. If you make those events or raids require diverse teams or deep benches and slap a ranking method behind it with attractive prizes... that would definitely get at least me to spend more. This will also come with the benefit of gearing out a guild raid team as well.

I think there are a lot of people in the game with this mindset. The current events do not have attractive prizes so if characters are out of reach for the P2P players, some will just ignore the events. But most P2P players are very competitive, and if you give them another ladder to climb on their journey to #1, they will probably bite.