The scoundrel event conundrum

Prev13
The credit crunch is real. Many of us, myself included, are sitting on 6+ characters at level 1 with 300 shards. Not enough credits to level them up.

Collection based games are not fun when you can't use half your collection.

Looks like the answer is meant to be a new repeating scoundrel event.

Here is the conundrum - scoundrels aren't in a great place right now. Most people haven't invested in them.

If it takes 15 million credits for me to level up Cad, Greedo, and Nute (have 300 shards for each) how long will it take me to earn those credits back?

Replies

• Invest in useful scoundrels :D
    Seriously though, lando and chewy (never thought I would say this) aren't that bad. Maybe the two of them will be good enough to complete the event
  • Invest in useful scoundrels :D
    Seriously though, lando and chewy (never thought I would say this) aren't that bad. Maybe the two of them will be good enough to complete the event

I have both ready-ish. Chewie is gear 9 6*, Lando is gear 9 7*.

No one else is near ready. Have Greedo, Nute, and Cad level 1 with 300 shards. Would cost me around 8 million each to get to level 80 and 7*.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I don't know about the credit crunch, I'm probably just bad at the game because I never have anything to spend them on. Looking at my achievements I've earned 70m total but only spent 52m of it, I started maybe 2-3 months ago so maybe the game has balanced so players gain more than they lose now, but because of backlog early players are suffering from the old system
  • Without profit mining event everyone will be in the credit crunch. Profit mining adds up quick if you did it. Too many people here are short sighted to realize it.
  • Sysy
    307 posts Member
    I don't have a huge problem with credit ATM. But I used to before I reach lvl 80 and do heroic raids. Still I have 0 viable scoundrel toons for the event. The best I have is a 4 star lvl 50ish chewy.
    swgoh.gg/u/Sysydrexler007
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Without profit mining event everyone will be in the credit crunch. Profit mining adds up quick if you did it. Too many people here are short sighted to realize it.
    Lol you're funny. You should do stand up.. Whatever shall we do without our precious profit mining?!?!
  • Without profit mining event everyone will be in the credit crunch. Profit mining adds up quick if you did it. Too many people here are short sighted to realize it.

I am assuming the scoundrel event will be much more rewarding than the profit mining.

The usage of energy is also problematic. I need probably 800 hair dryers right now. Not eventually, this very moment.

Every energy spent on profit mining, my roster falls behind on gear.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Lol you're funny. You should do stand up.. Whatever shall we do without our precious profit mining?!?!
    Err... He's not wrong. It's just that when you're leveling you have more important things to spend energy on--hard modes for shards, normal modes for gear. But if you need cash, the best way to get it with normal energy (ie: Not Cantina, not by spending crystals) has been to grind out Profit Mining.

So, what, you're saying that you have a credit crunch and you left credits on the table?

EDIT: To clarify--he's not wrong about Profit Mining being good, in certain situations that we don't always all meet. He's wrong that removing Profit Mining will put everyone in a crunch, because they're already all in a crunch with it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Sao
    47 posts Member
    Be honest to yourself, credit crunch "experience" is solely p2p players problem. If one is a f2p player, all requirements for progress is balanced (gear, shards, cash, training droids). That being said, why not by cash for cristals also (presuming you have been buying gear pieces as well as shards for cristals)?
  • Sao wrote: »
    Be honest to yourself, credit crunch "experience" is solely p2p players problem. If one is a f2p player, all requirements for progress is balanced (gear, shards, cash, training droids). That being said, why not by cash for cristals also (presuming you have been buying gear pieces as well as shards for cristals)?

I am completely free to play.

If I was pay to win I would buy credit packs.

The following characters are level 1 with all shards needed to max:

5s
    Greedo
    Nute
    Cad
    Dath
    Resistance pilot
  • Sao wrote: »

I think you have this backwards. P2p are people who spend money on the game. F2p are people who don't.
  • Sao
    47 posts Member

My bad, for I have expressed myself wrongly. What I've meant to say is if you choose to spend cristals on any of given resource needed (shards for example), then try to balance it with buying credits also. Don't spend all of cristals on energy refreshing. You'll end up with surplus of gear and shards.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Sao wrote: »

I'm FTP and have been in a credit crunch for months. I have 7 or 8 toons that could be 7* that I can not afford and I have about 10 characters I'd like to level up to 80 that I can not.

I have no clue what game you are playing but if you're FTP and have been playing for a few months you're in a huge credit crunch.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    I seriously hope it only requires 3 scoundrels instead of 5. Who has time to farm up a full team of scoundrels? Also 88 should be a scoundrel :smile:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • tRRRey wrote: »
    I seriously hope it only requires 3 scoundrels instead of 5. Who has time to farm up a full team of scoundrels? Also 88 should be a scoundrel :smile:

Yep, if it takes 5 maxed scoundrels it better pay like crazy
  • Sao
    47 posts Member
    SlyGambit wrote: »

I'm FTP and have been in a credit crunch for months. I have 7 or 8 toons that could be 7* that I can not afford and I have about 10 characters I'd like to level up to 80 that I can not.

I have no clue what game you are playing but if you're FTP and have been playing for a few months you're in a huge credit crunch.

How many cristals have you spent on gear and shards (via energy refreshes) and how many on buying credits? Balance it.
  • M9silent
    821 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    It wont pay like crazy though. There are plenty of examples of CG offering terrible rewards constantly. GW still offers lvl 42 regards at lvl 80 (cool). Credit event was initially way better, months before they made worse (way worse). Daily activities still pay nothing for credits. Cantina and missions haven't improved equal to the cost. All the credit rewards need to be scaled up to the new lvl 80 costs (lvl 90 is coming. Can't imagine how much worse it will be). Plenty more examples of poor rewards throughout the game. I doubt this will be worth it either.

Imagine a 5 man team of scoundrel heroes. Most probably don't have any, aside from a low chewie. So it takes 25-30 million for the team for the event. Event is once per week and pays 1 million. That's 30 weeks to see a return. What if it pays 500k? That's 60 weeks. Even with a 3 man team, that's still 15-18 million. So a 15-18 week or 30-36 week return. Not promising

I am assuming the scoundrel event will be much more rewarding than the profit mining.

The usage of energy is also problematic. I need probably 800 hair dryers right now. Not eventually, this very moment.

Every energy spent on profit mining, my roster falls behind on gear.

This
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Sao has a point.

The faster you unlock characters and the more characters you unlock, the more credits you need to spend to get them to useful levels. It can become a vicious cycle--you have too many characters so now you need droids and credits, so you buy those but now you need gear, so you need to buy crystals to get the gear. If you go at a slower pace, your credits, droids, and gear tend to stay in line.

You get a couple million spacebucks a week from Galactic War, and can make a good chunk from the later Cantina boards. So just focus on working one person at a time and it gets done pretty fast.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Resource management ; P

Did you people think this was just a turn based strategy game?
  • Sao
    47 posts Member
    @NicWester, exactly that!
  • C00L_Story wrote: »
    Resource management ; P

Did you people think this was just a turn based strategy game?

4 months ago I would agree.

Now? Raid gear is the gate. Raid gear is meant to be the treadmill.

No reason to have a credit treadmill and raid gear one.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    By the time that one toon you're focusing on is done, three more need credits. Credits come in crippling slow no matter how you farm shards.

It's pretty effortless for f2p players to get 4 toons per month on average to max shards just doing normal daily activities/farming, but ringing every credit you can out of the game will get you enough to upgrade/level 3 toons in that same time. Raid gear is the main pay gate in this game to slow us down, and make us spend. Omegas also. Restricted credit flow is overkill. It's creating huge backlogs of max shard toons. Profit mining didn't fix this. It just allowed you to equally spread the hole you're in between low level gear and credits. I still need thousands of purples after months of farming those.

The game more and more is requiring a big roster. Lots of useful toons for raids and events so you can stay competitive. With the new level cap, getting toons to 80 is not this huge achievement that should be such a struggle. Most 7*, level 80, gear 7/8 toons are worthless garbage next to gear 9-11 toons. It would be nice instead of arguing that we should all be happy with less, that we all agree that a small but significant increase in credit income that we haven't had for the last 2 or 3 cap increases would be a good thing.

I never spend anything on packs, I never upgrade toons that aren't being farmed to max shards, I've stopped farming hard nodes for shards, I only spend guild currency on gear, I've stopped spending GW tokens entirely (I have like 20k just sitting there), and I AM focusing on one toon at a time as I ALWAYS have been. I still need like 60 million credits just to level up max shard toons, and upgrade them to 80. At which point they'd be useful for events, and raids. I could also play around with different team comps in GW. I could use them to get the gear from raids needed to have an actual, useful arena team. But when we try to talk about how a small credit increase would be nice, we get told to do everything we're already doing.

Credit flow is horribly restrictive in this game. Gear is a big enough pay gate. It shouldn't be such a struggle to level up toons once you are at the cap. Struggling to have enough mediocre toons to use to start chipping into the actual pay gate (which is raid gear) isn't fun. It's frustrating. If I stop farming any new toons at all, by the time I get enough credits to get current max shard toons only up to 80 I'll have enough shards and currency for 12 more characters to max shards. Instead of 60 million I'll need 80-85 million. It's not like those leveled up toons are going to mean there's nothing left to do. It will take YEARS to get raid gear for them all. You'll still have to pick which ones get the slow trickle of raid gear and omegas. That's perfectly fine. Just stop being so stingy with the credits.

If the solution to this problem we're given is, "spend 30 million credits you don't have to farm a class of toons that are mostly broken, and unwanted," that isn't very appealing. I hope this event has a pretty low entry point that allows us to make some significant credits until we get the crappy, busted scoundrels farmed up to take on the harder level. Then the rewards get hefty once we have a decent level team. If it's going to take months to get a team that lets us start to get credits we're desperate for, and takes months for that team many didn't even want just to pay for itself... It won't make for a lot of happy customers.

• EA doesnt want happy customers. They want frustrated ones, because they spend more.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Gamezealot wrote: »
    EA doesnt want happy customers. They want frustrated ones, because they spend more.
    I bought one very small crystal pack when the level cap was 70, and credits weren't such a bottleneck. Now that the game has become frustrating due to credits I have made an oath to never give them a penny again. Happy customers spend. Frustrated customers spend elsewhere.

• To be fair people do react differently. Some spend past the frustration, some just plod a long, and some quit. Not sure what the numbers are. I expect frustration does lead to more profit though, seeing as that is EA's preferred game plan. Its quite evident that they put profit well ahead of balanced gameplay.
  • I'm sure the rewards will include 2 million credits.

If you buy all the refreshes every day and get good drops, you have a chance of getting that many credits, total.
  • I'm sure the rewards will include 2 million credits.

If you buy all the refreshes every day and get good drops, you have a chance of getting that many credits, total.
    Lol nice subtle jab at the blatantly dumb reward listing. I feel this event will probably require 3 scoundrels, have different tiers, and reward around 200 - 500k. And will also have crystal refreshes so ea can keep trying to make their money.

• **** so much crying on this thread about credits. No one forced you to focus all of your resources on your patchwork PvP arena team instead of building up other toons. Let's be honest here, there are enough events and other things to do in this game that unless you are a ginormous whale, there are probably events/raids/whatever that you can't do yet simply because you haven't built up the roster to do it.

Yes, there is a credit crunch. Yes, this will help mitigate it if you put in the effort to get the chars to complete it. No, your life won't end if you choose not to level up scoundrels and continue to focus on the same 5 chars that everyone else uses instead.

The truth is, aside from a few really elite players, I'm guessing almost everyone has encountered events/whatever that they weren't able to complete simply because they didn't have the right build to participate. I know that I for one didn't buy the droids bundle, I've hardly put any resources whatsoever into droids, and wasn't really able to participate in the droids event. Oh well, life goes on.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this event, and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way that I do that scoundrels are under-utilized in this game. It sounds like this event will go a long ways towards rectifying this issue, so I'm glad that EA is incentivizing us to have a more diverse roster.

In fact, I'm looking forward to this event so much that I hope they do the same thing with a different category of characters for the training droids event. I imagine you'll all be crying about that one too once it comes out. :^P
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Grraauuggh wrote: »
    **** so much crying on this thread about credits. No one forced you to focus all of your resources on your patchwork PvP arena team instead of building up other toons. Let's be honest here, there are enough events and other things to do in this game that unless you are a ginormous whale, there are probably events/raids/whatever that you can't do yet simply because you haven't built up the roster to do it.

Yes, there is a credit crunch. Yes, this will help mitigate it if you put in the effort to get the chars to complete it. No, your life won't end if you choose not to level up scoundrels and continue to focus on the same 5 chars that everyone else uses instead.

The truth is, aside from a few really elite players, I'm guessing almost everyone has encountered events/whatever that they weren't able to complete simply because they didn't have the right build to participate. I know that I for one didn't buy the droids bundle, I've hardly put any resources whatsoever into droids, and wasn't really able to participate in the droids event. Oh well, life goes on.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this event, and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way that I do that scoundrels are under-utilized in this game. It sounds like this event will go a long ways towards rectifying this issue, so I'm glad that EA is incentivizing us to have a more diverse roster.

In fact, I'm looking forward to this event so much that I hope they do the same thing with a different category of characters for the training droids event. I imagine you'll all be crying about that one too once it comes out. :^P
    People didn't avoid farming this class because they like copying everyone else. They are mostly useless, poorly designed toons. One or two are ok in the right situation. Most scoundrels suck. You want to scold people for not farming busted toons? Balance these characters, and many will happily use them. Forcing people to farm them by holding credits hostage is lazy. We have every right to be annoyed.

Also, I have participated in some events, and missed others. That's fine. No big deal. But this is not just an event. It's a weekly thing that is replacing profit mining. It not being presented as an occasional, or one time thing with crap rewards. It is being presented as our new credit source after continually jacking up the level cap created an unnecessary credit crunch. If they want to make the solution another class event... Fine. Just tell us what's required to complete the event NOW, and the rewards we can expect. We can make an informed decision to work towards it or not. (Maybe it will be a great event that will fix everything, and make everybody happy. I doubt it. But we'll see.) Leavng us in the dark forces people to decide between wasting a bunch of resources on an event that may not pan out, or saving our resources, and getting left behind if it ends up being a cash cow.

This game is a big complicated mass of moving parts, and not always balanced. Not everyone who is pointing out how to improve it is crying for everything to be handed to them. Most of us are just tired of being jerked around. It would be nice if they would communicate, and tell us what to expect.