Poll for whales and dolphins

Prev1
Bradford30080
404 posts Member
edited June 2016
The recent galactic war debate has raised some interesting questions due to the reduced burden which ea implemented a few days ago. This is not a poll meant to divide or disparage any style player. I am curious though how many whales or moderate pay to play characters spent the time before the change to complete galactic war. Understanding it was difficult for some due to time and roster constraints, i applaud ea's response. However, there are many who have voiced opinions, not whined:), that gw now has lost its appeal/challenge/fun factor which i believe to be a valid concern as well. So thanks for your participation and i appreciate the balance and what all styles of play brings to the game and the forum.

Poll for whales and dolphins 180 votes

I consistently completed gw before the change
78%
scubaxsebxJabbaJJHNaecabonBoro_Smooth1MunchkinatorMurTelTaragorBerdilioRogan_Ban84DhallRonTomTakKyuu2benacrowKAULIMateosiusCarbrenashBluerock 141 votes
I ocasionally completed gw before the change
12%
MBL_66Mofojokers1992jonniAnnastraszaKingOfLosingJbulldogg29AndroMo_lizaV1p3rdyn4styfutszaqiLeeuQuantifier5485Spixx1109TijidHybridplugdarakulGeorgeRulesDaneJediMickeyMouseJasun_Hobbler222 23 votes
I rarely completed gw before the change
8%
Dark_JediMr_CGungnir75PauleharryseldonBrandiecardozasuperspadaLeandrovvdirty_quesadillaIAmExceptionDani_PvPImperialTacoKING_J0URNEYJman1701RayneSkywalkerMarkMcC1993 16 votes

Replies

• V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    If I had the time and motivation to do it. I'd say I finished 5 of 7 days. I had no problems until I hit 38,000 arena.
    Post edited by V1p3rdyn4sty on
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    Kinda big option missing for 'completed it most of the time' which is where I was at!
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    $100 a month qualify me?

Always beat. Always had time. Whenever it got hard, I stopped leveling my top 5 toons, and it got easy again. I was not obsessed with Arena rank, and I always kept GW utility in mind when I decided on toons. I only level toons when I can upgrade their abilities/gear, and above level 50ish, I never level them one iota more than needed to do that.

IMO GW difficulty was designed from the start to slow down whales (and/or Arena-howers). A hidden fee. Dangling the arena crystal carrot, then pulling out the GW credit rug. So you need credits, and you got all those crystals? Check out the crystal store.

This sounds shady, but it is necessary to keep the F2P in the right county. And it ensures that more people end up with a decent game, no matter how they decided to play it, in the beginning.

And the timing of when they made it easier is right when some F2P are finally getting their gear and to lvl 80.

So all the complaining about credit crunch, GW difficulty, and precrafting debacle.... uhhh. Well, when you add all three together, EA actually DID balance things. Precrafter Arena champs had tougher GW. And they lost out on credits. And because there IS a credit crunch, this held them back MORE than non precrafters... in general. Without a credit crunch this wouldn't be possible. Without a tough GW, it would not be possible.

Also, a distinction has to be drawn between new whales/dolphin/fish and old ones. As a new oceanic swimming animal, I did not get a drop on the F2P that were at cap already. I wasn't even to 70 by the time the cap was lifted. I am sure even some F2P had a much rougher GW than I could have, had I focused on 5 arena toons.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Aside from the first 2 or 3 after i unlocked it, I've never lost one. That said, I am glad for the change. For me, it wasn't so much the difficulty (although some days I wanted to throw my phone), as much as the time investment. 20-30 minutes vs 1-2 hours. Hard to tell how long it took before since I literally took breaks and did something else.
  • I consistently completed gw before the change
    Hobnob wrote: »
    Kinda big option missing for 'completed it most of the time' which is where I was at!

Its there:)
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    @Bradford30080 I don't even know why I care but I feel I need somewhere between consistently and occasionally :smiley:
    Hobnob wrote: »
    @Bradford30080 I don't even know why I care but I feel I need somewhere between consistently and occasionally :smiley:

Ha. Ok. That works. Its just a poll to determine how much of an incentive it really was to players who could probably just as easily forgo the rewards.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I don't know if I count or not. I spent about a hundred bucks in the first two months, haven't spent anything since April. I get by with mostly easily-farmable characters: Sidious, Luminara, Daka. I also use the Royal Guard (I don't remember how I got him, but I didn't pay so it must have been free--and most of his stars have been ground up from the Hard Node) and Rey who can be got for free, but isn't someone folks should just expect to have free. (I got lucky with one of the Chromium mega-packs I bought using crystals earned from daily grind, not purchase).
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
    LastJedi wrote: »
    $100 a month qualify me?

Always beat. Always had time. Whenever it got hard, I stopped leveling my top 5 toons, and it got easy again. I was not obsessed with Arena rank, and I always kept GW utility in mind when I decided on toons. I only level toons when I can upgrade their abilities/gear, and above level 50ish, I never level them one iota more than needed to do that.

IMO GW difficulty was designed from the start to slow down whales (and/or Arena-howers). A hidden fee. Dangling the arena crystal carrot, then pulling out the GW credit rug. So you need credits, and you got all those crystals? Check out the crystal store.

This sounds shady, but it is necessary to keep the F2P in the right county. And it ensures that more people end up with a decent game, no matter how they decided to play it, in the beginning.

And the timing of when they made it easier is right when some F2P are finally getting their gear and to lvl 80.

Interesting. Yeah i thought gw was there to reward those who built deeper rosters rather than the type of player who focuses on a great arena team. Thats part of why i did the poll because when people talk about the disparity between players i was curious and had a debate with others about how much the gw rewards actually enticed a pay to play player.
    NicWester wrote: »
    I don't know if I count or not. I spent about a hundred bucks in the first two months, haven't spent anything since April. I get by with mostly easily-farmable characters: Sidious, Luminara, Daka. I also use the Royal Guard (I don't remember how I got him, but I didn't pay so it must have been free--and most of his stars have been ground up from the Hard Node) and Rey who can be got for free, but isn't someone folks should just expect to have free. (I got lucky with one of the Chromium mega-packs I bought using crystals earned from daily grind, not purchase).

Ok. Yeah you probably wouldnt qualify but thanks for your input at the same time.
  • I ocasionally completed gw before the change
    Once I got to around 37000 arena power GW started getting very time consuming. Sometimes around 2 hours and almost crushing my tablet from evasion dodges. It's more fun now and get to use more of my mid tier toons and work on synergy combinations that I couldn't in the past.
    Jbulldogg29 Order 66 41st Division
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Once I got to around 37000 arena power GW started getting very time consuming. Sometimes around 2 hours and almost crushing my tablet from evasion dodges. It's more fun now and get to use more of my mid tier toons and work on synergy combinations that I couldn't in the past.

Exactly. Now I can play around with other combos and see who I've been neglecting that maybe I shouldn't.
    Kraken level
    39250 power house

Most runs completed sometimes RNG just got me and i left it.

Normally 6 out of 12 nodes all maxed teams.
    Problem wasn't completion but time verse reward.

Hour and a half area on average sometimes more. Just completely boring and the rewards sub par.

With the change i can now test different teams and look for new combos like i did back at 60 and 70s.

Back at other caps you could bring up alot of teams to max just for GW but raid gear this time meant you had one main team to contend the maxed teams. My tier 8 heroes couldn't do much but scratch protection so it was alot of getting them in and setting rng just right to remove one or two then send in the main team.
  • Hangfire
    497 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    How about the option of:

I am a max level player with an Arena team at 38k+, and I can complete GW anytime I'm willing to spend an hour and a half at itt, which is never, so I am sorry if they made it unchallenging for the OP, but at least now I can finish it and collect a few credits in a reasonable amount of time.

...or something like that.
  • I rarely completed gw before the change
    I gave up on gw completely due to the time sink it was taking. I'm happy to do it again now that it can be done in small non brain melting doses
    Hangfire wrote: »
    How about the option of:

I am a max level player with an Arena team at 38k+, and I can complete GW anytime I'm willing to spend an hour and a half at itt, which is never, so I am sorry if they made it unchallenging for the OP, but at least now I can finish it and collect a few credits in a reasonable amount of time.

...or something like that.

Right so you would be a rarely played it. This poll is only to find out the stats and the reason why is also important thus the comments. I want to be clear that i am happy about the implementation ea made but as with any change there are some losses associated with it...
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    i was curious and had a debate with others about how much the gw rewards actually enticed a pay to play player.
    The average whale might say it doesn't matter. It all depends.

My definition of "winning" is getting the most desirable toons (for myself) unlocked and maxed out as fast as possible with the least work and the least money. In the LONG run. And my ultimate goal is to enjoy the game, FINISH the game or come close to it, and to NOT BE SORRY I EVER STARTED PLAYING THIS GAME TO BEGIN WITH when my ride is finally over.

If the cost of taking first place in Arena is counterproductive to my goal, then I won't strive for it.

Someone else's idea of winning maybe includes nothing else but a #1 in front of an Arena rank.

I have clicked on top arena teams in my servers. And I have significantly more GW wins than most of them. And I probably spent a lot less time and effort in my wins.

Even if the crystals for Arena win turn out to be greater than the loss of credits from GW, at the going shipment exchange rate, you still have to factor in the hours spent in frustrating GW matches. And the time spent looking at the clock hovering over a "start match" button.
    Completing gw wasn't the issue for me. It was the fact that the took too long and stressful battling ben+rg teams back to back to...
    LastJedi wrote: »
    i was curious and had a debate with others about how much the gw rewards actually enticed a pay to play player.
    The average whale might say it doesn't matter. It all depends.

My definition of "winning" is getting the most desirable toons (for myself) unlocked and maxed out as fast as possible with the least work and the least money. In the LONG run. And my ultimate goal is to enjoy the game, FINISH the game or come close to it, and to NOT BE SORRY I EVER STARTED PLAYING THIS GAME TO BEGIN WITH when my ride is finally over.

If the cost of taking first place in Arena is counterproductive to my goal, then I won't strive for it.

Someone else's idea of winning maybe includes nothing else but a #1 in front of an Arena rank.

I have clicked on top arena teams in my servers. And I have significantly more GW wins than most of them. And I probably spent a lot less time and effort in my wins.

Even if the crystals for Arena win turn out to be greater than the loss of credits from GW, at the going shipment exchange rate, you still have to factor in the hours spent in frustrating GW matches. And the time spent looking at the clock hovering over a "start match" button.

Thanks. This helps. im curious about the cognitive dissonance associated with gameplay changes and will be doing a poll in a while about how many still play given the change.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    I had no problems finishing it until lately... As I started to really gear up and catch up GW got ridiculous. I'm not 80 yet, I have one gear X toon and I was hitting nothing but dodge meta from node 8 on. It took me about an hour. Now it takes a lot less and I'm enjoying it again.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    additional deep thoughts by lastjedi:
    1. The precrafter debacle. They gave an advance notice. They did this on purpose. Then they "stealth" balanced it, without telling anyone. And it has analogies to whaling strategy.

This amounts to setting up a race. And giving a few participants (precrafters and whales) a head start, at alternate start point B. This segment of the race is an uphill grade. It gets steeper and steeper.

The nonprecrafters/F2P perceive a long term disadvantage (which will turn out to be untrue). So some of them breakdown and buy furnaces in shipments.

Meanwhile, the precrafters/whales find they can't finish GW and can't advance their toons. So they have to use their arena won crystals on credits.

Meanwhile, when the F2P/nonprecrafters finally make it to alternate start point B, the devs change the course and flatten it out.

On top of that, as soon as you get to the finish line, they will just move it farther back. The race is over when THEY say it's over. As long as people continue to shell out, the race goes on.

So by paying and precrafting, you didn't gain as much as you thought you did. The golden rule is that in this game, you will never gain as much as you think you are, when paying.

This game is a 10,000 mile marathon. And they try to entice people to run like it's a 100 yard dash by dangling a carrot, here and there. If you try to maintain that pace, you will either burn out or spend more money than you initially wanted to.

Maybe this is subliminally why I chose my username. The ultimate win and maybe my subliminal goal is to be the last one standing. The last player still active and enjoying the game.

Sorry for the essay. I am feeling rather deep and introspective, today.
    Ha. I thought you chose your name because you liked old ben in he game. He is the last of any toon:)
    It got 8nsanely hard for me once i went over the 36k barrier. I accepted that some days node 9 was as far as i could go. Im glad with the change, i feel it is a little too easy now and not a challenge but I'm still glad it now takes 20 mins instead of 2 hours. If i were to fix it i would of cut it by about a third, 9 nodes with the hardness the same as before. I am glad i can auto it super fast now if i chose, the alternative is to try different squads i have at similar levels to the opposing teams and then i could still spend 2 hours on it if i wanted.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    I've spent roughly 500. I've completed it everyday but for last month or so I had to keep my arena power under 38k orbit would of been nearly impossible. My guildies went over 38k and had troubles and it's not worth it. Even with dodge teams at node 6 I could still complete it but it started to take around an hour or some days more. It defiantly was annoying and stressful to complete it daily. After the change I realize they have a very hard time keeping the game at a point where it's not too hard but not too easy. Now this game is barely a game and just a collection. Now every single game mode I can auto through.
  • KingPin
    522 posts Member
    I welcome the change as it takes less time, and last few nodes are still hard and I lose more toons now than I did before by the end so still a challenge there
  • Always finished but I stop finishing it a week ago because of time consuming... now I am happy. I can use my spare time in what guys from outside of this world call "real life "stuff.
    Now I enjoy the game.
  • jonni
    133 posts Member
    apparently many non-whales are taking this poll coz they actually do need GW credits lol. a true whale never does his GW coz... why bother?
    jonni wrote: »
    apparently many non-whales are taking this poll coz they actually do need GW credits lol. a true whale never does his GW coz... why bother?

I had thought there would be less that fooled with it too:). Of course this is not exactly a scientific poll but....
    Noobslayer wrote: »
    I didn't finish all the time before the nerf but I'm glad they rebalanced it after the 1st 3-4 matches it was all lv80 arena teams with rg Han and Rey and made it way too time consuming having to retreat and send in a throw away team to soften them up b4 sending my main squad back in to clean up

Most people i have heard from agree with the lack of variety of team comps. Seems to me the big issue when drawing from arena squads all you get is another arena game withtout the timer. Its lazy when you consider all the teams they create for events.