Raid gear in Shipments - Allow RNG in all 3 Shipment spots

Prev1
Naecabon
1243 posts Member
edited June 2016
Right now, raid gear is as rare as it is because it's limited to the left spot of the crystal purchase gear spots only.

If the raid gear was allowed to potentially "roll" in any of the three crystal purchase slots (like every other item in Shipments), it would mean better odds of us finding the gear we're looking for.

This has become incredibly frustrating for players of ALL pay grades. Refreshing barely ever reaps rewards. Everyone wants this gear. A change was put in place to make this accessible to everyone - this change to the RNG is the most reasonable and would see these appear for a lot more of us on a far more consistent basis.

Replies

• Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    +1

I'm not refreshing for this very reason. CG you got me good on the furnaces. Never again...
  • The problem is that its in shipments at all, no need to further push whales ahead of the pack.
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    OP, I think ea likes making money off of people's frustrations though. If the gear comes around frequently, then people will be less inclined to buy it. Also, refresh money is probably good money to them. I have a secret source, that told me exactly how the precraft solution went down.

EA: We have the solution
    CG: Well what should we do? Everyone's complaining! Should we give them 500 crystals?!
    EA: Lol no. Here's what we do.. Nothing. We take furnaces out of shipments. And throw the droid callers in. They'll eat that **** up like hot cakes.
    CG: Hmm that makes sense, but why get rid of the furnaces?
    EA: Lol. What do you mean why? Just do what we tell you to.
    CG: okay :(
  • I see them all the time in the guild store
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Lasserini wrote: »
    The problem is that its in shipments at all, no need to further push whales ahead of the pack.

Whales are going to be ahead no matter what you do. Trying to limit whales is a dumb idea - it just hurts the people that could use it more. Accept that whales are light years beyond FTP in terms of gear progression and just focus on the big picture. The argument of "We can't have whales getting ahead!" is a backwards mentality of everything Freemium.

As it is, whales are still not even getting much out of this as forced refreshing doesn't accomplish much. I think 70-80% of my raid gear so far has been from natural refreshes. It almost seems like the game recognizes forced refreshes and has a check in place for it.

Also, the argument that refreshes "make CG more money" is only a half truth. Pretty sure me buying 30 Callers from them is making them more money than my gradually decreasing refreshes based on poor results. You can only get so many days out of us spenders on refreshes before we stop doing it. The more likely we are to see raid gear on a refresh = the more likely we are to keep doing it. The more UNLIKELY we are to see them = the more UNLIKELY we are to keep refreshing.

Since the change in adding Callers, I've gone from refreshing up to and including the 900s, down to the 400s, and now I'm down to the 200s and I'm even debating stopping those now, and it's been not even a week. How is this them making more money off of me VS me buying way more callers at 1400 each?
  • I see them all the time in the guild store

You never see a full piece in the guild store. The suggestion is to make the chance of them in cantina shipments more frequent, with the possibility of them appearing in up to three spots at a time - not one.
  • Scarcity adds incentive to buy (not an issue an your end of the spending scale, but for the majority I think they got this right).
    Same logic that adds a rotation, if you know it could take months before you see a droid Callers again you're far more likely to go find your visacard, if you know it'll show up regularly you could decide to wait till you have enough safed up.

Heroic raids (some even run 5+ more a month than intended) + a shipments item or two a week provides plenty of progression - Once people "finish" too many chars the outcry of nothing-to-do starts again, whats the rush? :)
  • myea8017
    192 posts Member
    Naecabon wrote: »
    The problem is that its in shipments at all, no need to further push whales ahead of the pack.

Whales are going to be ahead no matter what you do. Trying to limit whales is a dumb idea - it just hurts the people that could use it more. Accept that whales are light years beyond FTP in terms of gear progression and just focus on the big picture. The argument of "We can't have whales getting ahead!" is a backwards mentality of everything Freemium.

As it is, whales are still not even getting much out of this as forced refreshing doesn't accomplish much. I think 70-80% of my raid gear so far has been from natural refreshes. It almost seems like the game recognizes forced refreshes and has a check in place for it.

Also, the argument that refreshes "make CG more money" is only a half truth. Pretty sure me buying 30 Callers from them is making them more money than my gradually decreasing refreshes based on poor results. You can only get so many days out of us spenders on refreshes before we stop doing it. The more likely we are to see raid gear on a refresh = the more likely we are to keep doing it. The more UNLIKELY we are to see them = the more UNLIKELY we are to keep refreshing.

Since the change in adding Callers, I've gone from refreshing up to and including the 900s, down to the 400s, and now I'm down to the 200s and I'm even debating stopping those now, and it's been not even a week. How is this them making more money off of me VS me buying way more callers at 1400 each?

Amen brother. 3 callers are from natural refreshes, 0 callers since we began refreshing first day to 1800, 2nd day to 900, now im down to 400. Tomorrow and from here on out 50 is my cap. Ridiculous how rare they come around, refreshes should increase odds, would make sense. Or your idea of all 3 slots rolling, everyone would pay more.
  • If you're willing to go to the 1800 refresh mark then you are probably not in touch with what "everyone" would do :)
  • Lol, i like it how it is, i saw my first one today. that would mean if i didnt precraft i could of bought a piece of gear i didnt have due to precrafting. I didnt buy that piece as Im happy with the rate of progression i have in my guild and being number 1 at cashout in arena. I dont get why people want more raid gear. What will you farm if you buy it all?
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member

Spending 10 bucks to buy a scanner so that you can use Teebo in a raid to give yourself a 30% improvement in the next raid doesn't make one a whale. Will whales benefit from gear in shipments? Sure, but so will anyone else. Its much harder to catch up with that guy that does 1.8 million in damage without gear being offered in shipments.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Scarcity adds incentive to buy (not an issue an your end of the spending scale, but for the majority I think they got this right).
    Same logic that adds a rotation, if you know it could take months before you see a droid Callers again you're far more likely to go find your visacard, if you know it'll show up regularly you could decide to wait till you have enough safed up.

Heroic raids (some even run 5+ more a month than intended) + a shipments item or two a week provides plenty of progression - Once people "finish" too many chars the outcry of nothing-to-do starts again, whats the rush? :)

Scarcity is not the same as RNG. RNG is a frustrating game experience.

The point is, if you need/want a Caller, you're going to buy it no matter how "rare" it is. The difficulty of seeing it in Shipments is not the determining factor of whether or not you purchase it. When you see it, you decide for yourself if it's within the price point or not of what you want. If it is, you buy it. If it's not, you don't.

People aren't just buying gear because they think "Well I better buy this now because I may not see it later!" 9 times out of 10 they're snap buying it no matter what and that 1 out of 10 is either someone that can't afford it, or someone that thinks "I don't need it right now so I'll just wait until I see it again some day." That's the cause and effect of RNG - it works both ways. No one thinks "This is so rare I'll never see it again," they think "RNG is RNG and I'm statistically very likely to see one of these again some day so I'll just wait."

Also, scarcity is usually a driving factor in sales when people think they're competing with other consumers for the purchase. Take new gaming consoles for example. Sometimes, a company will only produce so many consoles in an effort to create scarcity sales, like Nintendo. The production line will be way under the demand so they sell out and give off the mentality of "Buy these before they sell out!" In situations like those, you are correct - people buy based off of the fear of them selling out.

Here, this is not the case, because this is a single player game and we're only competing with ourselves. We aren't in a battle with other people, we're only in a battle with RNG. The rules are different and sales patterns differentiate as a result.
  • +1 to OP

The whole system is a trap.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member

Previous history aside, on this you and I agree 100%.

I've done pretty much what you did. I've never had a droid caller before they released these in shipments. I've refreshed up to 900 every day since they were released and I've never had anything but trash from forced refreshing.

I DID however get 2 from natural refreshes, both on the same day. I've heard similar reports from other players.

I've developing a theory here, I think the % chance of raid gear showing up when refreshing using crystals is lower than natural refreshes. And if that is the case, EA/CG is literally robbing us, encouraging us to burn premium currency due to the 2 week limited period.

@EA_Jesse or @CG_JohnSalera can you officially state that the % chance of getting raid gear is the same whether you refresh using crystals or not?

Considering this was your "fix" for pre-crafting, and many players won't even see one of these, a little transparency is called for.
  • C3POwn
    507 posts Member

Whales aren't ahead at all anymore. I beat one of the biggest whales from TI on my server daily with ease.
  • I agree but i also want them to consider this as i have almost nothing left to grab from tokens lol...

Also many refreshes and so far 1 droid caller total...

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/35850/adding-a-new-way-to-progress-using-your-different-tokens/p1
  • Xioborg
    405 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Last 3 of my natural refresh droid callers have been from when my crystals had dropped beneath the 1400 mark, meaning I had to buy more crystals to get the caller that had just appeared. RNG, maybe, today and yesterday, but I now keep my crystal bank lower than 1400 in case there is a link.. Or it's just my lucky charm.

Xio
  • Freemium games should be required by law to state odds. Essentially this is just a disguised form of gambling and should be regulated as such. I have dropped a note to my congressman and encourage all of you to do the same.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    So far I've seen 2 callers. Got them both. No longer am I refreshing. I got crystals today and one magically showed up on forced refresh. I'd love to know the drop rates. Some people haven't even seen ONE show up and some have had 5 or 6? Come on now...

I for one was excited to see them in shipments for that price point, but the possibility of getting one is ridiculous.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Yendor
    261 posts Member
    Palanthian wrote: »
    @EA_Jesse or @CG_JohnSalera can you officially state that the % chance of getting raid gear is the same whether you refresh using crystals or not?

Considering this was your "fix" for pre-crafting, and many players won't even see one of these, a little transparency is called for.

I agree with the OP and Palantians statement.

At this point gearing toons feels like I'm building a brick wall. I get a toon to the point of needing a precraft to advance and just add him to the wall where he will sit indefinitely. I add about 6 toons a week and remove less than 1 a week, because many times I give a toon a precraft only to advance him to the next precraft he needs, leaving him in my wall which currently consists of 30 toons but grows almost daily.

This is a poorly designed bottle neck in my opinion. It doesn't just slow progression, it grinds it almost to a halt, which is frustrating to say the least.

I like @Naecabon 's solution. I also think the raid pieces should be changed to a single generic item so you could collect your 50 salvages and you could put it on any toon.

• Riggin12
    129 posts Member

Previous history aside, on this you and I agree 100%.

I've done pretty much what you did. I've never had a droid caller before they released these in shipments. I've refreshed up to 900 every day since they were released and I've never had anything but trash from forced refreshing.

I DID however get 2 from natural refreshes, both on the same day. I've heard similar reports from other players.

I've developing a theory here, I think the % chance of raid gear showing up when refreshing using crystals is lower than natural refreshes. And if that is the case, EA/CG is literally robbing us, encouraging us to burn premium currency due to the 2 week limited period.

I have had the exact same experience.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Freemium games should be required by law to state odds. Essentially this is just a disguised form of gambling and should be regulated as such. I have dropped a note to my congressman and encourage all of you to do the same.

Yes but with gambling there's a chance of you winning money, this is nothing but extra content in a video game that will never be used outside of said game.
  • Asavanor
    197 posts Member

Here, here. I don't spend much on this game, maybe $10 - 15 per month. I am willing to buy the raid gear since the raid rewards RNG is already so poor. I'm all for this idea to help make the gear appear more readily. Whales will always be ahead, increasing the drop rate helps everyone.
  • Asavanor
    197 posts Member
    Yendor wrote: »

I agree with the OP and Palantians statement.

At this point gearing toons feels like I'm building a brick wall. I get a toon to the point of needing a precraft to advance and just add him to the wall where he will sit indefinitely. I add about 6 toons a week and remove less than 1 a week, because many times I give a toon a precraft only to advance him to the next precraft he needs, leaving him in my wall which currently consists of 30 toons but grows almost daily.

This is a poorly designed bottle neck in my opinion. It doesn't just slow progression, it grinds it almost to a halt, which is frustrating to say the least.

I like @Naecabon 's solution. I also think the raid pieces should be changed to a single generic item so you could collect your 50 salvages and you could put it on any toon.

Another good idea.
  • marydare
    117 posts Member
    edited June 2016

I couldn't agree more. Far from having this "fix" increase my confidence in CG, they have made me feel foolish for supporting them. At this point, only transparency (and a refund on all crystal refreshes since the update) could get me to go back to where I was. It's a shame and a missed opportunity on their part.
  • ubn87
    314 posts Member
    Don't you whales have enough ^^
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Adding this fix to the guild store would also be very helpful in speeding up our farming. As it is the guild store only refreshes 3 times a day compared to 4 times for every other store.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • marydare
    117 posts Member
    ubn87 wrote: »
    Don't you whales have enough ^^

Everyone benefits from transparency and from a better chance at raid gear.
  • Not sure if this is related enough, but since when do we get blue gear in the top row of shipments? Doesn't this make my chances of seeing a Droid C even less?
    [img][/img]29e3iw1.jpg
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Veritasum wrote: »
    Not sure if this is related enough, but since when do we get blue gear in the top row of shipments? Doesn't this make my chances of seeing a Droid C even less?
    [img][/img]29e3iw1.jpg

Wow. If they're going to offer us garbage blue gear for crystals they should at least offer stun gun and stun cuff salvage at the bottom for credits. Smh..
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!