Please help me get top 20

I am having serious issues with my squad, as I hardly get under rank 50 and sometimes even lose on offense. My team is this (all 7*)

Old Ben (L) g9
Lumi g8
Qgj g10
Rey g9
Phasma g9

I think Lumi is my weak link, but I don't know who to put instead. I have a 7* sthan g8, but he seems to squishy, and my RG is only 5*. Amy other suggestion? Btw, I'm totally ftp so no premium chars

Replies

• sying
    982 posts Member
    Ditch Lumi for STH. Yes, he's squishy but he's going in an evasion team so he'll dodge more often. That does take away from his TM manipulation, though, and that is a nice bonus. Your team will get a lot more turns when you pair him with Phasma. Keep working with RG and put the two of them in for defense and RG is ready. Also, in case you're not doing it yet, use crystals for extra battles. You move up the ranks faster and it'll be harder to drop to where you were. Hopefully.
  • sying wrote: »
    Ditch Lumi for STH. Yes, he's squishy but he's going in an evasion team so he'll dodge more often. That does take away from his TM manipulation, though, and that is a nice bonus. Your team will get a lot more turns when you pair him with Phasma. Keep working with RG and put the two of them in for defense and RG is ready. Also, in case you're not doing it yet, use crystals for extra battles. You move up the ranks faster and it'll be harder to drop to where you were. Hopefully.

I tried doing that, but I couldn't beat the top 20 on offense :tired_face: . I hope sthan gives me a boost. Thanks man

• When was your start date? I was able to stay in the top 20 for quite some time with a 5* RG. You get targeted on defense more, but he's still viable depending on his gear level
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Do you have GS? With Phasma and old Ben and Lumi you don't have the DPS to compete
  • Azgadil
    226 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    You may not be able to get top 20 with that squad. You are missing a key piece - Lumi is the weak link.

Also note this; if you are top 20 you are capable of top 5. The top 20 are likely juggling control of top 5 as the activities reset each hour.

My pro player tip:
    StHan and Ben have really good synergy. Farm StHan the gear that grants him speed. Make that a priority! And you'll win more with out much effort. But honestly StHan isn't truly top 20 /10 until fully geared.

note: I am writing as a top 200 player since start. Top 50 for many months. A few weeks ago I have moved to 20 now and cash out often top 10 and sometimes getting top 3.
  • When was your start date? I was able to stay in the top 20 for quite some time with a 5* RG. You get targeted on defense more, but he's still viable depending on his gear level

Early February, everyone in the top has full levelled/starred/geared goons.
  • GreenGoblin96
    1321 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Azgadil wrote: »
    You may not be able to get top 20 with that squad. You are missing a key piece - Lumi is the weak link.

Also note this; if you are top 20 you are capable of top 5. The top 20 are likely juggling control of top 5 as the activities reset each hour.

My pro player tip:
    StHan and Ben have really good synergy. Farm StHan the gear that grants him speed. Make that a priority! And you'll win more with out much effort. But honestly StHan isn't truly top 20 /10 until fully geared.

note: I am writing as a top 200 player since start. Top 50 for many months. A few weeks ago I have moved to 20 now and cash out often top 10 and sometimes getting top 3.

So, you say I use sthan gear 8, as I need a furnace (of course, **** furnace). Will he be viable at g9?
  • I am having serious issues with my squad, as I hardly get under rank 50 and sometimes even lose on offense. My team is this (all 7*)

Old Ben (L) g9
    Lumi g8
    Qgj g10
    Rey g9
    Phasma g9

I think Lumi is my weak link, but I don't know who to put instead. I have a 7* sthan g8, but he seems to squishy, and my RG is only 5*. Amy other suggestion? Btw, I'm totally ftp so no premium chars

Few questions. Where are you with daka and yoda? G10 sth first. Lumi has to go, and sth han has to be on that squad somewhere until rg is g9 6* then you can use him, possibly with han. Phasma doesnt work well with old ben lead so he will need to go soon. Your team might do better with qgj lead as is
  • GreenGoblin96
    1321 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I am having serious issues with my squad, as I hardly get under rank 50 and sometimes even lose on offense. My team is this (all 7*)

Old Ben (L) g9
    Lumi g8
    Qgj g10
    Rey g9
    Phasma g9

Few questions. Where are you with daka and yoda? G10 sth first. Lumi has to go, and sth han has to be on that squad somewhere until rg is g9 6* then you can use him, possibly with han. Phasma doesnt work well with old ben lead so he will need to go soon. Your team might do better with qgj lead as is

I really never cared about daka so I haven't even unlocked her.
    That's kinda sad, I really put time into gearing old Ben and phasma.
    Oh, and yoda is 7* g8.
  • I'm using almost the same team on an early december leaderboard. But I have st Han for lumi. I finish 1st place 3-4 times per week. Imo you need to gear st Han all the way to gear XI or he will feel squishy.
    So start collecting those furnaces (I see Rey needs another one too). And get phasma to gear X
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm using almost the same team on an early december leaderboard. But I have st Han for lumi. I finish 1st place 3-4 times per week. Imo you need to gear st Han all the way to gear XI or he will feel squishy.
    So start collecting those furnaces (I see Rey needs another one too). And get phasma to gear X

I also use that team, st han is gX. He gets the job done on offence. (mid februari server)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    I'm running double tanks and am top 20 most days, if I don't have time to play I don't ever fall out of top 50.

As said above STHan is pretty awesome, gear him up as much as you can, yeah he's squishy, but the tm he grants your team is worth his early death. It can be enough to jump your team ahead and secure the win.

RG at 5* isn't ideal obviously, but he can also draw enough fire for you to be able to keep your dps alive long enough to take down one or two of theirs.

I run:
    Old Ben
    RG
    St Han
    QGJ
    Rey

• Naugrin
    686 posts Member
    While climbing you can try putting phasma in lead for assists....go back to ben when you will be taking a break, to make you tougher on defense.
  • Sysy
    307 posts Member
    Gear up STH may take too long. IMO you can gear up RG first. He is stronger at 4 star g9 than one at 7 star g8. Gearing up Han requires 2 furnaces and 1 scanner at the least. Yeah I agree with all above who says Lumi must go. Phasma can stay no matter if she leads.
    swgoh.gg/u/Sysydrexler007
  • Azgadil
    226 posts Member
    So, you say I use sthan gear 8, as I need a furnace (of course, **** furnace). Will he be viable at g9?

He is truly not great until you have him fully geared. Think longer term - try to aim for taking top 5 in two weeks vs today. So yes keep gearing StHan. He is playable even now.

Take out Lumi insert StHan.

During battles focus down Rey (work around RG taunt trigger).
    Old Ben will trigger because of StHan TMboost and put ability block on the dispel toon (your taunt will stay up). Then focus down taunt dispel toon (typically QCJ) so that StHan stays in taunt mode til he dies. Your enemies are losing TM and you are gaining TM. You will go about an extra turn and half then your opponents with this combo.

So yea. Gear up StHan.

• I am having serious issues with my squad, as I hardly get under rank 50 and sometimes even lose on offense. My team is this (all 7*)

Old Ben (L) g9
    Lumi g8
    Qgj g10
    Rey g9
    Phasma g9

I really never cared about daka so I haven't even unlocked her.
    That's kinda sad, I really put time into gearing old Ben and phasma.
    Oh, and yoda is 7* g8.

Ok good news on yoda. He is amazing on offense and meh on defense. But he is pesky defensively. So my rec would be to try old ben lead qgj, yoda, sth and rey. On offense hold sth taunt until you are in danger of losing a toon. Old ben mind tricks as quick as you can. Gain forsight with yoda right away and see if you can wait on sth taunt until after yoda gives foresight to your team. If he loses it then just taunt and try to time yodas foresight to the team right as hans taunt goes or he dies. You can beat some big teams like this. You need daka. She will allow you to heal squishy han and can win matches for you against much better teams by reviving rey
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Sysy wrote: »
    Gear up STH may take too long. IMO you can gear up RG first. He is stronger at 4 star g9 than one at 7 star g8. Gearing up Han requires 2 furnaces and 1 scanner at the least. Yeah I agree with all above who says Lumi must go. Phasma can stay no matter if she leads.

I think that's some good advice right there. RG is definitely easier to gear and there is nothing wrong with a Phasma lead while trying to get up the ladder.

Old Ben (L) g9
    Lumi g8
    Qgj g10
    Rey g9
    Phasma g9

If you're like me and like having a healer just as a backup in arena you could always switch out Lumi for Daka. I run Dooku(L),Rey,Phasma,QGJ & Daka(mostly because her stuns, revives & heals).
    I know people don't like running a healer in arena but for me it works well. Lumi is good but I find with Daka I get more usefulness from her. Also with Lumi that is 3 Jedi on your team, someone running count dooku in a team will target you for an easy stuns because of those 3 Jedi. Or you can do what others are saying about STH and RG, that would work too.
  • Thank you all people, I'll try what you said. I'll use rg in the meantime while I struggle to gear sthan.