A counter to old ben, and it's not one of the new toons: Ackbar

Prev1
So I just realized, since putting ackbar in, I do not lose to old ben teams on offense anymore, and this is because Old ben basically gives me a heal. Ackbar can dispel everything. My team: Ackbar (L), Leia, B2, RG, Rey

Replies

• LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Ability block. Ability block means Ackbar cant dispel.

A guy I am in contact with on my shard ran that exact team, he always dropped to 20's on a fairly balanced shard, tried swapping B2 for SF still no luck.
    {RotE}
  • LaLiam wrote: »

A guy I am in contact with on my shard ran that exact team, he always dropped to 20's on a fairly balanced shard, tried swapping B2 for SF still no luck.

Huh. I have better luck on mine, and mine is filled with cookie cutter old ben teams
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Pretty sure it's not strictly ackbar winning that match.

It's more likely people are realizing Ben really isn't that good. He is ignorable. His dodge bonus is good, better than dooku, but not really awfully game breaking.

Why I think you are winning is you are able to curve ahead with extra attacks. B2 and Leia.

May I also ask, what leads where you using before ackbar? Do you have gear levels of your toons vs your opponent?
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Nebulous wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not strictly ackbar winning that match.

It's more likely people are realizing Ben really isn't that good. He is ignorable. His dodge bonus is good, better than dooku, but not really awfully game breaking.

Why I think you are winning is you are able to curve ahead with extra attacks. B2 and Leia.

May I also ask, what leads where you using before ackbar? Do you have gear levels of your toons vs your opponent?

I was using QGJ (L), B2, Rg, Gs, Rey. Gear of me is rey 10, rg 10, the rest 9. There are no teams below gear 9 on my shard. What stuck out to me was how the battle turned on ackbar dispelling the offense down, which lasts for 2 turns to the ability block's one. It healed rey and RG was able to get taunt up before she went down
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Yoda's tenacity up negates Old Ben. Not even the TM reduction works. Nothing I can do about the dodges though. An Old Ben team dodged 7 of my first 9 attacks today, and the 7th dodge was when I tried to dispel ST Han, and whiffed. :( One of those days.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    It sure does suck when you are offense down for two turns and forced to blast away at St Han for a few turns. That definitely made obi/Han a powerful duo.

I just found that out g10/11, it wasn't as difficult to survive the first barrage. Then gaining attacks from ackbar and phasma pull away from obi.
  • Keyper
    245 posts Member
    Haha
    Hahaha
    Hahahhahahahahhahaha

• Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Keyper wrote: »
    Haha
    Hahaha
    Hahahhahahahahhahaha

Clearly you are stuck at g8
  • Ben is infinitely irritating and that's it but I run Rex main team and he goes before Ben so unless he's stunned I can pop the buff and wave at Ben when he goes for the blockers.

AA? Not so much. Kinda useless if his ability blocks you. It's only to funnel you into StHan while your offense is down and your dispel ( sans Sunfac) is off the board.

• Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Haha
    Hahaha
    Hahahhahahahahhahaha

Agree with the fact that OB teans is maybe 5th in top scariest teams, at most. Dooku falls to 8-10.
  • I run the same AA team as op and can auto win vs Ben teams in a little over a minute.
    If I see one more **** attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself!
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Asic wrote: »
    Haha
    Hahaha
    Hahahhahahahahhahaha

Agree with the fact that OB teans is maybe 5th in top scariest teams, at most. Dooku falls to 8-10.

This is true. It's just perception on the level of arena they are facing.

Dooku is super solid early cuz lumi is still viable. Ben is better than dooku but once you realize he offer very little to the battle and his dodge only affects the target and not the team, it's not that bad.

At g10/11, characters can take the damage and survive the initial barrage. It then comes down to attack advantage. Phasma is superior to Ben on offense. It's not even close.
  • Keyper
    245 posts Member
    "Clearly stuck", eh? If it will take a screenshot, I'll be happy to provide evidence I'm a player 53 days into the game and progressing through gear 8/9 at a relatively high pace for a ftp player. Since your wrong about that, let's take a look at what else you may be wrong about. Your view that gear 10/11 arenas are the arenas to judge by what is weak/strong springs to mind.
    I propose that an arena environment where participation utterly dwarfs that of gear 10/11 arenas is much more suitable and ultimately more relevant to the vast majority of this game's players. Oddly, the gear 8 arenas you dismiss are just such an environment. The current game cap is irrelevant to all but a small portion of us who take arena seriously.

• Gundam_Raizer
    171 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I love running teebo lead teams and doing varied against dodge teams, always wins pretty much on offense even when I use barris lol. Have done teebo g10 RG g9 barris g10 Rey g10 Leia g10. Win every time with out fail no problem. Just about any team and took #1 in arena lol. I mean I do other versions swap other characters in but having barris in there is most hilarious in top spot, solid though at 46k HP (protection included) but yeah teebo lead rules!
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Ben doesn't need a counter. It is his pal han that is the issue. Qgj is the answer, but he could use some backup. Dispelling mind tricks debuffs doesn't heal u much because ur team mostly still has protection. And unless ackbar can dispel between han taunt and qgj turn, he is only mitigating the han bomb.
  • Xenith
    267 posts Member
    My shard s whales are using leai and rey gear 10 which makee them win the fight like 9/10 times... My whale is runing old ben lead.rey.leai,st han and rg ... I got 2 issue one i need to go to gear 10 but i need to be lvl 79 which i m not and i need 2 raid disk and 1 furnace (rey and leai )(leai js gear 8) rey gear 9 ...

Second issue is my disspell! i m using qgj qnd st han evades or resists like 3/5 times ... Theirs no that many disspeller that are viable for arena or until gear 10/11 for instance plo koon 50% potency untill gear 11 (+40%) ... Assaj 40% potency... No thanks and baris is jist too slow ussless no thanks theirs Only B2 and Sun fac and qgj and teebo (if he s gear 11)

Btw potency apploes negative status effect ! I m pretty sure it also works when removing positives status effeft right?
  • I dunno what the people saying Ben is bad or just average are talking about. He is a god in the arena. Dodge makes the match incredibly frustrating, in my server 15 out of the top 20 use Ben. I've gotten 1st like 5 times this week, and I can say for sure, he is the best defense you can have in the arena.. Now I'm speaking generally for ftp because whales have access to Rex who is also an arena God. Sun fac aswell. But for ftp arena defense, Ben is the arena MVP. Pair him with Han, and most of the time it turns into a battle of RNG and we all hate those.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    LaLiam wrote: »

It's the luck of the draw. If you get targeted, you will drop places. Doesn't have anything to do with the team you use.
  • EROSIONE
    160 posts Member
    Soon we will have Anakin lead to counter bens ones, helped by Yoda. Then we will need qgj or Akbar lead to counter Anakin. Then we will need Ima to counter qgj+Anakin Akbar+Lando. The we will need again Ben to counter Ima... Everyone should just play what is fun for them since it makes little difference...
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    EROSIONE wrote: »
    Soon we will have Anakin lead to counter bens ones, helped by Yoda. Then we will need qgj or Akbar lead to counter Anakin. Then we will need Ima to counter qgj+Anakin Akbar+Lando. The we will need again Ben to counter Ima... Everyone should just play what is fun for them since it makes little difference...

Meh Anakin still not viable in my opinion, maybe his numbers will change, but he's still not great and certainly not a meta changing toon.

B2 sorta made JE teams viable but anyone not using Rex will likely use Ben/Han/B2. Just a good team.
    {RotE}
  • LaLiam wrote: »

Meh Anakin still not viable in my opinion, maybe his numbers will change, but he's still not great and certainly not a meta changing toon.

B2 sorta made JE teams viable but anyone not using Rex will likely use Ben/Han/B2. Just a good team.

Not everyone have b2, today team instinct had droid team full gear hk 88 86 JE B2, I lost twice with Ben Yoda qgj rey StHan (this team destroy other old Ben teams because of Yoda foresight and destroy Akbar ones because of StHan takes Leia fire and Ben gives offence down) as soon as I swapped Yoda for RG I won vs droids in 2 minutes. I don't know, I believe every reasonable team can be up there... This is quite a good thing, everyone can aim to use different compositions and everyone will have to modify/adapt to climb... Better than when EVERYONE had the same team...
  • Keyper wrote: »
    "Clearly stuck", eh? If it will take a screenshot, I'll be happy to provide evidence I'm a player 53 days into the game and progressing through gear 8/9 at a relatively high pace for a ftp player.

53 days as F2P and progressing through gear 9? I don't buy it, and would love to see your evidence.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    "Clearly stuck", eh? If it will take a screenshot, I'll be happy to provide evidence I'm a player 53 days into the game and progressing through gear 8/9 at a relatively high pace for a ftp player. Since your wrong about that, let's take a look at what else you may be wrong about. Your view that gear 10/11 arenas are the arenas to judge by what is weak/strong springs to mind.
    I propose that an arena environment where participation utterly dwarfs that of gear 10/11 arenas is much more suitable and ultimately more relevant to the vast majority of this game's players. Oddly, the gear 8 arenas you dismiss are just such an environment. The current game cap is irrelevant to all but a small portion of us who take arena seriously.

Good morning. Congrats on working towards g9. So you are currently at g8 and working on g9. This is exactly what I called already. You may have some g9, but if your whole arena team isn't g9, you're still g8.

Dooku and Ben are super solid at that level of the arena. I didn't dismiss anything. You are though. I said at g10/g11 survival through the initial dampening of mind tricks is key. You then proceeded to tell me there isn't enough players at that level and it shouldn't be how I judge arena. That is dismissive. We should Examine the whole scene.

I am aware that within the arena there are thresholds where characters preform better and then see sudden decrease in performance. Let's look at Sid and lumi. Everyone uses them early. But then they fade off. Then it's good to use dooku. Then obi comes in and is a much better performer. Then gear gets maxed out and suddenly it becomes possible to survive Rey and Qgj. So, instead of giving me TM on a dodge, why not use a leader who provides me much more with in-match utility and grants many more turns with ally assists and team-wide TM.

Ben is a great leader. Top 5. But he isn't op.

*edit for spelling.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member

Anakin isn't viable at all now, but that may change come Monday. Hopefully. We'll see. Even still I think you're right that he won't change the meta. Getting advantage up when your attack gets dodged doesn't help too much if your next 8 get dodged too. :/
  • ogFail
    76 posts Member

Good morning. Congrats on working towards g9. So you are currently at g8 and working on g9. This is exactly what I called already. You may have some g9, but if your whole arena team isn't g9, you're still g8.

Dooku and Ben are super solid at that level of the arena. I didn't dismiss anything. You are though. I said at g10/g11 survival through the initial dampening of mind tricks is key. You then proceeded to tell me there isn't enough players at that level and it shouldn't be how I judge arena. That is dismissive. We should Examine the whole scene.

I am aware that within the arena there are thresholds where characters preform better and then see sudden decrease in performance. Let's look at Sid and lumi. Everyone uses them early. But then they fade off. Then it's good to use dooku. Then obi comes in and is a much better performer. Then gear gets maxed out and suddenly it becomes possible to survive Rey and Qgj. So, instead of giving me TM on a dodge, why not use a leader who provides me much more with in-match utility and grants many more turns with ally assists and team-wide TM.

Ben is a great leader. Top 5. But he isn't op.

*edit for spelling.

I agree w alot of what you said...so in your opinion who would be the best leader? Plasma?
    Who else do you run on your team?
  • Naugrin
    686 posts Member
    Oddly enough on my leaderboard I seem to drop further when I leave ob as leader than when I leave phasma up. At the very least, about the same.
  • Xenith
    267 posts Member
    The thing with old ben lead and st han its that its mostly rng add in leai and rey and rg its a pain !

With phasma its kinda of rng based due to aoe speed down if it lands on my st han and rey i m done for it ...

Speed is key if they can make old ben mind trick unavoidable then ackbar +st han and old ben would be the team to beat old ben lead

what would balance the game is to make qgj disspell unavoidable cuz atm theirs almost no viable disspeller for FTP
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    JRA wrote: »

Anakin isn't viable at all now, but that may change come Monday. Hopefully. We'll see. Even still I think you're right that he won't change the meta. Getting advantage up when your attack gets dodged doesn't help too much if your next 8 get dodged too. :/

The most spot on statement I've read about the new Anakin rework. Sure it's anti-evasion but advantage up mean absolutely nothing if the attack will just get dodged again. It's a step in the right direction but still a pretty wobbly step listing lazily to the left.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Xenith wrote: »
    what would balance the game is to make qgj disspell unavoidable cuz atm theirs almost no viable disspeller for FTP

Only f2p dispel character is gqj?
    What about teebo?
    Mace?
    Ventress?
    Plo koon?
  • Guys anakin's rework is definitely gonna make him a meta toon. You're forgetting the new lead ability! +30 percent more damage for Jedis and clones, +20 percent more crit damage, half that for all other allies.. Let that sink in for a minute. Cause that's definitely better than phasma's lead. Anakin gets a nice boost from that himself so he should be a solid toon. Add in qui gon who becomes even more beastly, Rey gets even stronger. I don't see how he can not become a super common toon. You can even use him with clones!!! Rex and fives get much stronger! He can even make yoda really good too. So many dangerous builds here. He probably won't overtake Old Ben overnight but in a few months time the old man meta might not be as common.