Synergy - boils down to three different types?

I'm a casual grinding player who's finally at a point in the game where I should figure out where to start building a team for end-game (level 42, stuck on 4-L light side, just starting cantina and GW). After reading a bunch of threads, best I can find, there are three basic types of synergy you can build a team around:

1. AoE teams - these teams combine characters that utilize strong buffing/debuffing special and unique abilities. These teams tend to quickly disrupt your plans by stacking complimentary buffs and causing multi-hero damage against your team.

2. Single Target teams. These teams combine characters with strong attack and special abilities, attempting to kill a hero in the first round, effectively creating a (very difficult) 4 vs. 5 battle. Teams are focused on generating extra attacks, critical damage, and speedy attacks.

3. "Leader & Class" teams. These teams exploit the extreme bonuses of stacking characters' unique abilities when they are all of the same class. Examples would be Phasma as leader of an all First-Order team, Poggle as leader of an all-droid team, Poe as leader of an all-resistance team, etc. These teams are unpredictably strong at first sight, and well-balanced.

4. -- am I missing anything here ? --

Obviously I think there are some more detailed nuances, but as far as I can tell they would all be subsets of the three basic strategies above. Also, I know there are plenty of teams/characters/leaders that combine some or all of the strategies above, so I guess ultimately I want to make sure I'm not missing any huge type of team synergy strategy. For example, I don't think I've seen anybody running a healer-heavy team. Personally I would think a team of Daka/Burriss/HK47/EwokElder/JC, with all the resurrection and healing, would be a pain in the **** to leave as your final team for defense in The Arena.

All thoughts and comments appreciated, thanks for joining the discussion

Replies

• I've been struggling with this for the past week or so (level 48ish to 54) I came to the conclusion that without spending garrulous dough it's tough to pigeon hole yourself into 1 main route

I've decided to go with the most farmable high spec characters and every so often ditch some droids and mats into one of your dream synergy teams.

I like to think the dream is to make it to top 20 so you can maximize your crystal gains. Until that dream is achievable you would need to do something more feasible and aim to clear GW fully everyday. This is your best way at getting droids, mats, and Lumi/phasma tokens (GW tokens)

TL:DR

go with Phasma lead, Lumi, Sid, Poe and your choice (JC for GW)
  • You're conflating two related but different things.

There are different types of teams in terms of tactics. AOE, healer heavy, high burst damage, counter teams, etc.

But that's not what people mean by synergy (though certain synergies work better on certain types of teams). Synergy means heroes whose abilities complement each other, usually but not always through bonuses. E.g., a droid team, plus Poogle. There are several bonuses possessed by those heroes that apply to droids only.