Left Boba on the shelf? You'll regret it.

Prev13
WhipiT
591 posts Member
Boba Fett. The man. The myth.The investment. I know guys...you hear it daily in the forums. Fives or Boba? Poe or Boba? Truth is farm Poe and that pretty much wraps up the discussion. I'm kidding. Sorta.

The sleeping giant that is heavily underestimated is Boba Fett. While he becomes a decent attacker at 7* he admittedly underperforms for most peoples tastes in damage. They say his rez isn't anything special. I agree while it has won me an other wise losing game once or twice it's really not an advantage. They say his ability block isn't anything special. 40% Potency it may not hit all 5 targets but bet money it will hit 3/5. That's not that special I admit. Now all he has left is that gimpy 45% extra critical damage. 50% at 70 may I add. That's nothing special am I right?

I could tell you a COMPLETELY free to play team right now in the current meta and I'm guessing even more so at 70 can dominate 95% of team comps on offense. Steamroll to rank #1 as you please. Don't expect it to hold that rank for long. But it will get you there guaranteed.

Darth Sidious
Luminara
Poogle
IG-88
Boba Fett (Lead)

The synergy is simple. Poogle hits offense up/ Speed up for droids....Sid hits dots....IG-88 goes buckwild crazy. He has inate +180% critical damage. With Boba as lead that rolls up to 230% critical damage. And thanks to ole Sid's dots IG-88 can also get up to 75% damage increase...+ Poogles offense up...... Pop his AOE..kaboom. Keep in mind he also has a chance to ability block on that AOE for later reference.

But Boba's leader ship has everyone hyped up. Even Luminara can crit a squishie for 9-10k..I do it daily.......then there is Boba's slow plodding self. He looks at his opponents all crippled and stuff. Why not hit them for another AOE juiced up by offense up/+45% critical damage and another ability block! Just what they need. Relaxation. Good chance most teams are toast or "toastish" and the few that are left clinging to a few bars are probably ability blocked. Steamroller synergy. They did it in soft launch...it got nerfed...but there were buffs...nice buffs for Sid and Boba. Things have changed.

And while Boba doesn't make this team his +45% critical damage soon to be 50% makes everyone hit like a truck when they crit. And toons crit a lot and the more damage toons do the more efficient the 50% critical damage will be. As we glide to 70 Boba's leadership skill while not the best in the game is up there at the top. Look at it like this, if you ever played a MMORPG how valuable would a piece of gear be that gave your character 50% critical damage. You would farm months for that gear. Thats why I hit him to 7* and give him lead in my arena team. If you look at a team as one entity and not 5 different characters you can assemble a vicious synergy just as you would in a MMORPG.

He is a long term investment. But I give you my humble opinion he will stay relevant at 70. He is worth the grind. Take it with a grain of salt. Good luck!

Replies

• d3gauss
    311 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    So what you're saying is nerf boba?
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    This team won't defend your rank. IG88 don't AOE on the first round under AI. I might be wrong though.
    Post edited by xJazzx on
  • xJazzx wrote: »
    This team won't defend your rank. IG88 don't AOE on the first round under AI

They mentioned that.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Great food for thought WhipiT! I personally hadn't even thought about getting Fett yet as he always seems so wimpy on defense. Good to keep him in mind.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Yep, that's the sort of team he works well in. Of course he works even better in the team WhipiT uses, which is based around Lando. :)
    I have him at 5* and yes he's on the shelf, but he's not going anywhere. If my attempt to make something unusual doesn't work out -- I just unlocked Fives as part of that -- I may dust Boba off, level up his leader ability, and give a crit team a tryout.
    Of course in a week or two new stuff comes out and everything will change anyway.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    I got fett at 7* and 45% crit. It is awesome when it goes off, but I have since gone back to sid because it doesn't go off enough (and I don't have other crit characters maxed up, but once I get POE and Luke/IG-86 it's on!)
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    Thanks for the read. Will file in my memory bank.
  • Or put in FOTP and Leia with boba lead and watch them 2 just one shot everything. Thiers a guy in my bracket with that and that is exactly what happens
  • I left my bobba on the store.... B)
  • xJazzx wrote: »
    This team won't defend your rank. IG88 don't AOE on the first round under AI. I might be wrong though.

Wait what? I definitely have been aoed by IG88 on the first turn. Poggle on the otherhand doesn't always offense up on the first turn.
  • Leads my team with full gear and got his 7th star yesterday. Luke be one shorting darth Sidious every time for me under boba's leadership lol
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    xJazzx wrote: »

Wait what? I definitely have been aoed by IG88 on the first turn. Poggle on the otherhand doesn't always offense up on the first turn.

It's not guaranteed. Ig88 basic attacked me in the first round the last time I fought a droid team.
  • Wifi
    36 posts Member
    I have destroyed this team many times. Usually do not lose a single character.

Q. Gon (ldr)
    Luminara
    ObiWan
    FOTP
    Sid

The speed buff of Q. Gon is the key which allows Luminara and Ben to attack quicker. Luminara will ability block either ig88 or Boba while Qui-Gon does a hit on the other and calls in an ally. If it's Luminara it's a big hit, if it's FOTP it's even bigger, then Ben Ability blocks and offence down the team and FOTP mops up the char I was focusing. One of them drops in the first turn every time. Ability block is useless on FOTP cause it's his main attack that does the big dmg.
  • NixHara wrote: »
    Leads my team with full gear and got his 7th star yesterday. Luke be one shorting darth Sidious every time for me under boba's leadership lol
    Hey nix pretty sure you're in my server, never fought your team but always see that bobba it's the only one lol. Nice to see you not following the crowd and doing well.
    If I see one more **** attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself!
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    Barrok wrote: »
    I got fett at 7* and 45% crit. It is awesome when it goes off, but I have since gone back to sid because it doesn't go off enough (and I don't have other crit characters maxed up, but once I get POE and Luke/IG-86 it's on!)

Sid has a solid leadership skill. For a while I used him because I couldn't justify losing 13% crit for 25% extra crit damage. But as damage grew along with damage buffs that 25% extra was a lot when dealing out 9k hits. But Sid is a solid choice.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    Wifi wrote: »

Q. Gon (ldr)
    Luminara
    ObiWan
    FOTP
    Sid

The speed buff of Q. Gon is the key which allows Luminara and Ben to attack quicker. Luminara will ability block either ig88 or Boba while Qui-Gon does a hit on the other and calls in an ally. If it's Luminara it's a big hit, if it's FOTP it's even bigger, then Ben Ability blocks and offence down the team and FOTP mops up the char I was focusing. One of them drops in the first turn every time. Ability block is useless on FOTP cause it's his main attack that does the big dmg.

Right. If they are all 6* plus nice financially invested team you got there. You should win playing the AI. If not I would be trying to get a refund lol. While I totally agree you would win in turn I would blow through that team of yours as well on offense with little to no financial investment in said characters. That's food for thought.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member

It's not guaranteed. Ig88 basic attacked me in the first round the last time I fought a droid team.

It's fickle lol. The AI does crazy things. Thats why I stated it wouldn't hold the rank long. Any 20k team can beat any other team with just a smidget of synergy. The only type of team that has ever held rank well was my Phasma assist/counter team and even it can be beat with the right counter team.
  • WhipiT wrote: »

Q. Gon (ldr)
    Luminara
    ObiWan
    FOTP
    Sid

Right. If they are all 6* plus nice financially invested team you got there. You should win playing the AI. If not I would be trying to get a refund lol. While I totally agree you would win in turn I would blow through that team of yours as well on offense with little to no financial investment in said characters. That's food for thought.

I've faced a team like yours and annihilated it without much damage, let alone a loss. AI is not so great on D.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    WhipiT wrote: »

Q. Gon (ldr)
    Luminara
    ObiWan
    FOTP
    Sid

I've faced a team like yours and annihilated it without much damage, let alone a loss. AI is not so great on D.

Yah AI is lacking for sure. It's why I suggested to the developers to create live PvP matchmaking. But it was shot down quickly as the devs said it would create slow long lasting matches. They know a lot more than me so I'll accept that. But it also made me stop spending. I saw no point in continuing to dump money in the lottery when I didn't need to. I can beat the AI so easily there isn't anything that drives me to take my chrono characters to 7*. No point. But if there was live PvP my wife would just have to accept I'm going to drop some dough lol.

Luckily the dev activity on here has improved and I know they are going to do great things in the future. I hope.
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    I might start working on a team similar to this but honestly I think it's going to fall off abit at 70. Boba is not scaling well to 70 as well as 88. Sure he might do some damage but so does everyone else. I do just fine with my phasma led, dooku,fives,ren and daka team.

Having said that I have slowly been dropping shipments on 88 and 86 as I think having a droid team will be good for future gw
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Tak wrote: »
    I might start working on a team similar to this but honestly I think it's going to fall off abit at 70. Boba is not scaling well to 70 as well as 88. Sure he might do some damage but so does everyone else. I do just fine with my phasma led, dooku,fives,ren and daka team.

Having said that I have slowly been dropping shipments on 88 and 86 as I think having a droid team will be good for future gw

Thats very possible. Boba will also be handicapped by only 1 gear upgrade as well. Im working on Poe but thats a long term project. I have high hopes for Poe I'm just not sure how he will fit into my crit hit and crit damage squad that I prefer purely out of enjoyment of min and maxing.
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    I'm staying away from Poe based on the fact that I think he will be rebalanced a bit later on. Probably in the speed department
  • People give Boba a hard time but when he's geared/starred he can be quite annoying if you have other priority targets. If let alone he will AoE you, then he will have dodge+ and when focusing on him you gotta spend a few hits because of his tankyness. He has his niche as of now
    I'm staying away from Poe based on the fact that I think he will be rebalanced a bit later on. Probably in the speed department

If they do that to Poe he will be just as useful as Windu.

• Tak
    352 posts Member
    SaVaGeTnK wrote: »
    People give Boba a hard time but when he's geared/starred he can be quite annoying if you have other priority targets. If let alone he will AoE you, then he will have dodge+ and when focusing on him you gotta spend a few hits because of his tankyness. He has his niche as of now

If they do that to Poe he will be just as useful as Windu.

I think he will be tweaked a bit that's all. The fact that he leaves every other tank in the dust speaks for itself.

Plus I think he maybe a bit too strong with high tenacity speed etc. Hard to stun him
  • Wifi
    36 posts Member
    WhipiT wrote: »

Q. Gon (ldr)
    Luminara
    ObiWan
    FOTP
    Sid

If it were real time pvp I would destroy that team even before I had time to think about dinner. I hope they listen to you and make it so.
  • This post gave me a great idea to exploit my boba.. that boba sid 88 lumi poggle team is my next goal... only 40 shards away from poggle B) so for the next month maybe
  • I read the topic and I knew it's yours lol
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016

I should hope so, given that your team cost likely north of $2000. WhipiT's team can be built F2P in a few weeks, or with small crystal sub purchases, even faster.
    @WhipiT - It's too bad there's no way to see the base crit chances on various characters. It would be interesting to compare Boba's and Sid's leader abilities to see how much the crit chance boost helps compared to crit damage.
    I just did a spreadsheet analysis and which is better depends entirely on the crit chance and crit damage profiles of the characters. Prepare to have your mind a bit blown.
    LybsDFM.png
    The top is grayed because I don't think any character has crit damage below 50%. As you can see, Boba is only better for very high base crit chances. Also, Sid actually is better than Boba for characters that have very high base crit damage, such as IG-88. This makes sense, because as the base crit damage goes up, the difference between adding 45 points and adding 20 points diminishes, while the value of the crit happening more often becomes important.
    In fact, if you look at the chart, the only time Boba makes a significant difference over Sid is if the crit chance is already 100%, or the base crit damage is low (50%).
    Given that Sid already deserves a spot on this squad, if Boba can't make a compelling case for the leadership spot, he probably could be replaced with someone faster or that does more damage.
    ETA: Analysis is based on the assumption that pluses to crit chance and damage are additive. If they are multiplicative, everything changes.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Shh. I'm pretty much the only person on my server running with Boba, especially as leader. Don't give it away :wink:
  • shimmy
    200 posts Member
    Interesting. This takes into account you're going to get critical hits which from my experience rarely happens in Arena and GW. I mean I have gone complete matches before without a single critical hit and they weren't matches that ended quickly.

I notice this a lot with a lot of talk on certain characters like Phasma where my experience is her leader ability is next to useless since it rarely happens both for me and for the AI teams I face. Sid is another as his leader ability rarely comes into play when I have used him as leader.

Makes me wonder if the people talking about all this stuff either don't see the same things or if these characters when fully leveled up/starred are different. I recently got Sid to 6 star (and he is max elite geared and level 58) so I haven't tried him as the leader again but I am guessing I won't see any difference in team critical hits. I sure don't see any increase with him as a single character in his critical hit chances.

Poe is another one who I see all the talk about but I have him 4 star and I don't see the hype.

I'll still go for Boba though since now that I have completed the GW for the first time, I will look to expand my character collection rather than just try and focus on my top A team. I really don't care much about arena as long as I am able to get a min of 400 shards each day and I am so far always placing in the 200-500 bracket which is good enough for me.

I really do wonder if people are playing the same game as me though given so many things I read which are nothing like my experience.