Credit crunch - maybe we don't need more credits...

Geddre
224 posts Member
So I know some people say they have a bigger issue with training droids, but it's brought up FAR less often than credits. And both resources are used to accomplish essentially the exact same thing, so why is that? It got me thinking about what resources are most needed by what types of players.

I spend a lot on this game. More than most I'm sure. I don't have an issue with training droids, but I also buy training droid packs. I have bought credit packs also, but not nearly enough to not also be effected by the credit crunch. So that got me wondering why, as someone who can buy both resources, does it feel like credits are such a horrendous bottleneck?

Simple... leveling costs too much.

To take a character from level 1, it'll cost you 4.6 million credits. To buy that with crystals it'd take buying around 7.5 credit packs. 7.5 x 595 = 4,462.5 crystals. (I'm aware you can't buy partial credit packs, but the unused credits can be used on your next character, and we want to determine cost for 1 character - so fractions it is!)

To train that same character, it takes exactly 218 five star training droids. Buying that many training droids would be close enough to 5 training droid packs (you'd actually get 225) so 5 x 442 crystals per pack = 2,210 crystals.

This difference doesn't even take into account that you also need credits to star them up which is another 1.75 million minimum. Which is basically a bit less than 1500 more crystals worth of credit packs.

Anyone else see the problem?

From a balance and progression standpoint, the entire game is based on having crystals be the underlying currency. Everything we do, whether we spend money or time, is about this balance and equitable value of crystals. When it costs basically 2 to 3 times as many crystals to level a character using one form of resources as the other, of course you're going to have a bottleneck.

That said, a lot goes into how much of each resource can be collected and at what rate. Rather than change that, just change the cost to apply the training droids to our characters. Very simply, cut it exactly in half. The cost in training droids and credits - expressed as crystals - would be nearly the same (not counting the credit cost to star up, but that is a one-time cost and so it is appropriate to be a barrier, as it were.)

And then finally, you could have people complaining equally about a lack of credits AND training droids! That's when you'll know you did it right!

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Geddre
    224 posts Member
    Ok, I'm fine with no one agreeing or thinking it's the right solution, but I didn't even get a single comment??? Not even a troll???

Is there anybody out there?

Bueller? Bueller?

ECHO! Echo! Echo.... echo...
  • I think everyone's too mad about the GW changes too worry about training droids fella.
  • Knowing ea they would just jack up cost of training droids to match.
  • Geddre
    224 posts Member
    I think everyone's too mad about the GW changes too worry about training droids fella.

Lol, so the answer is "no one can be bothered to read more that a tweet these days."

My post isn't about training droids fella. :-P Gotta go past the first paragraph.
  • Hello. I understand nothing of your post, sorry. Solution is to like you maybe said, equalise by adjusting rewards in line with lvl80 requirements, or to keep grinding. I think devs want us to grind.
  • Geddre
    224 posts Member
    Maybe I should just give up on trying here and finally make a Reddit account and go where there's some actual discourse. *sigh*
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Well there are far more ways to get credits than droids. Just about everything in the game gives some sort of credit reward upon completion. Raids alone can provide millions of additional credits each week but not a single droid. And even placed that provide both like GW and Cantina, the amount of credits to droids worth of XP you get leans far towards the credits.

I also don't really think the current amount needed is too much. It really shouldn't be that easy to get your characters maxed out. That's honestly majority of the game. Without the grind to "get there", the game would be your 5-10 PvP battles a day and that's it. I imagine a lot of whales have to be board when they don't really have much to look forward to after buying their way to the end rather quickly.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    It's easy to feel it's an issue when your pockets are empty, however, the unsettling reality is that we're in control of our own spending. So, most folks just save up for things. There were several posts on this a few months ago that boiled it down to focus. Just focus one hero at a time. The game wasn't meant to be "beat" in a month. Takes time.

**Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Explain it in one sentance or paragraph and maybe you'll get a better response. Still don't understand what your trying to get across. Equalise the cost of things in line with level 80 7 star requirements and crystal cost?
  • I agree. Take credit out all together. There is absolutely no need for it.
  • Geddre
    224 posts Member
    Explain it in one sentance or paragraph and maybe you'll get a better response. Still don't understand what your trying to get across. Equalise the cost of things in line with level 80 7 star requirements and crystal cost?

Good greif. Sorry, it's not a single sentence point I'm trying to make. This is as concise as I can make it...

I'm saying that crystals are the baseline currency for the game and so can be used to draw a comparison between other forms of currency that couldn't normally be compared.

It costs roughly 2200 crystals worth of training droids to level a character from 1 to 80 and if costs about double that many crystals worth of credits to accomplish the same thing.

Very few people think training droids are too hard to aquire... at least compared to how many people think credits are too hard to come by.

Hence the argument to decrease the credit cost to level, in half.
  • Woofy_MC
    219 posts Member
    reply from EA:"lol spent more money **** or get out xDDD" but srsly I just encountered that problem by myself...I really want to upgrade and level up my toons, but its just not possible...its too expensive and as a f2p player I have to say, the more you get to the top, the harder it gets...A fun game,l but an impossible overhaul.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Geddre wrote: »
    Explain it in one sentance or paragraph and maybe you'll get a better response. Still don't understand what your trying to get across. Equalise the cost of things in line with level 80 7 star requirements and crystal cost?

Good greif. Sorry, it's not a single sentence point I'm trying to make. This is as concise as I can make it...

I'm saying that crystals are the baseline currency for the game and so can be used to draw a comparison between other forms of currency that couldn't normally be compared.

It costs roughly 2200 crystals worth of training droids to level a character from 1 to 80 and if costs about double that many crystals worth of credits to accomplish the same thing.

Very few people think training droids are too hard to aquire... at least compared to how many people think credits are too hard to come by.

Hence the argument to decrease the credit cost to level, in half.

What people think and reality are not the same. In the beginning credits are needed more, that's why the cost is higher: more likely people will spend money to buy them. But later on droids actually become more scares.

With raids and more events, credits have become a lot more bountiful while droid acquisition has remained the same. I can right now use up my last droid and still have credits remaining. And before I can get anywhere near enough droids to even level someone 1 level in the 70's range, I'll come across a few million credits.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • I still don't get your argument, especially in the context of the thread title. Maybe we don't need more credits, because the solution is to decrease how many credits things cost? That's just two different ways of saying the same thing; nothing particularly revelatory there.
  • Sparrow
    525 posts Member
    IMHO crystals are there to speed things up, thats their only purpose.

SO if you dont spend any crystals, the game should be in balance, you should have enough credits to level and star the characters to naturally acquire.

If you buy chromium packs to get more shards you should find yourself short on credits and training droids.

the game should be balanced so that if you buy packs you need to buy credits and training droids as well. but if you buy nothing you should need nothing.

If you just spend on refreshes one would think you would get enough credits and training droids to keep up with your shard generation......
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    It's not gonna be determined by math that favors your individual account.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Whether you cut credit requirements for leveling in half, or double the amount you get from GW and challenges, the result is essentially the same. I think everyone would agree that we need a change involving credits, though, as everyone is seemingly short on them in comparison to training droids.
  • Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    Watch people scream

You could increase the amount of Droids required to level. (People will scream)

If you decrease the number of credits. Well.... Everyone who already paid for credits will scream.

Best solution : a Data pack for " ice-cream "

Or just continue as is and people can plan, save, or pay however they want.

To each his own.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Whether you cut credit requirements for leveling in half, or double the amount you get from GW and challenges, the result is essentially the same. I think everyone would agree that we need a change involving credits, though, as everyone is seemingly short on them in comparison to training droids.

@TheKevinlyFather - That flips. I'm there now. I'm getting way more credits than I have droids to spend. In about a week I'll have several 7* level 1 guys. The flip just happened for me this week. It's all the credits I've been getting from raids and events.
  • I would so trade you some droids for credits lol. My guild only runs T5 raids, so maybe that's the issue for me. Even completing GW/challenges daily, I have hundreds of droids and always seem to be low on credits.

I also don't use any energy on credits or droids. I use it all to farm shards/gear. Maybe that's another issue for me.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    I would so trade you some droids for credits lol. My guild only runs T5 raids, so maybe that's the issue for me. Even completing GW/challenges daily, I have hundreds of droids and always seem to be low on credits.

I also don't use any energy on credits or droids. I use it all to farm shards/gear. Maybe that's another issue for me.

The raid thing and you probably can't do the current Ewok challenge either?
  • KozeeDJ
    59 posts Member
    i love the game, and for a mostly F2P game its the best out there..
    i wouldnt be playing if it wasnt star wars. and now that ive said that.

my take on the game is this..
    its one of the most greedy games there is, and based on frustrating the fan base to spend money.
    (like have bronzium packs on the last tab in the market to force you to constantly scroll past all the packs on sale, pointless greedy tactic)

My main gripe on the game. im always short on credits.
    i have more droids than i could ever spend.
    I have at least 7 toons right now I cant even take to 7* because i dont have the credits.
    and another 4-5 i havent progressed because you really have to budget your spending in the game.

they plan events and space them out to maximize their profit. and are constantly changing the way things are done to force people who are happy with what they have to constantly change their teams to stay competitive.

all the special card packs and credit packs are insanely overpriced. or they just over value their product.
    ive spent around 200$ already so im not afraid to throw some money at the game. but ill never spend another dime, im so aggravated at their business model right now. especially when ive had 3 of my last 4 forum discussions deleted.
  • Yudoka wrote: »
    I would so trade you some droids for credits lol. My guild only runs T5 raids, so maybe that's the issue for me. Even completing GW/challenges daily, I have hundreds of droids and always seem to be low on credits.

No, unfortunately. My 2 star snowtrooper just isn't cutting it. Surprisingly, I can make it to the 8th stage of tier 1. But, haven't been able to beat it for those million credits yet. Even if I could, though, I'd be low on credits still in comparison to training droids.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Yudoka wrote: »

No, unfortunately. My 2 star snowtrooper just isn't cutting it. Surprisingly, I can make it to the 8th stage of tier 1. But, haven't been able to beat it for those million credits yet. Even if I could, though, I'd be low on credits still in comparison to training droids.

Yeah, if your'e on T6/T7 and can do the events, that's a ton of extra credits. It's what has put over from credit to droid shortage and it's likely to remain there unless something changes where I can use my credits someplace else. Basically, starting tomorrow, I'm going to get nearly a million each day that I won't have anything to spend on. I have three guys that I need to take to 7* but that's only 4m credits. I'll have that by the end of the weekend. After that, it's just credits and no where to spend them.