First of all I find this game enjoyable, for now. It takes just the right amount of time (with the SIM tickets for farming). However at times I find this game extremely frustrating because I don’t have the foggiest idea of how things are working under the hood. I find this leads me to make safe (but uninteresting) choices in my team composition as well as how I spend my precious resources. In order to take this game seriously it needs to actually share information with the players. I have a whole bunch of questions as well as suggestions to fix this black box perception I have. Frankly I can’t make many rational decisions as I am completely clueless as to the actual impact of my decisions.
1) What are the base chances for each of the mechanics to work? For example Luminara’s Elegant Steps says “Jedi allies gain x% Evasion and recover Health equal to x% of Luminara’s Max Health at the start of each of their turns.” I understand the second part and can calculate it, but what is the base chance of evasion? Is it 20% and I am adding 13% to bring it to 33%? Is it 5% moving up to 15%? I haven’t the foggiest? Is evasion modified by the Dodge/Deflection rating (which for most folks is 0)? Basically what factors into the chance to connect a hit at all.
2) What does +x Defense do? Chewbacca’s Wookie Resolve says “All allies have +x Defense.” What does 30 defense do for me? Is is a 30% reduction from all damage (great!), subtraction of 30 points of damage (worthless), or increase of armor/resistance values (slightly better than worthless)? Why should I ever use Chewbacca again? Are there cases where I should use Finn as a leader rather than Poe?
3) What abilities stay from round to round, and which disappear? Why or why not? I have had an ability block stay with a character from round 2 to 3, but most positive buffs seem to wear off (at least visibly). Does Luminara’s heal over time carry over from round to round? Why or why not? Is Advantage and Defense Up supposed to carry over (so that Finn’s Hold the Line isn’t worthless)?
4) How does the Potency/Tenacity mechanic work? Is it a straight percentage roll (one roll add/multiple by potency subtract/divide by tenacity), contested percentage roll (attacker roll + Potency versus defender roll + Tenacity highest wins), how? What is the base chance of success of putting a debuff with 0 Potency versus 0 Tenacity? Why should I use Luke as a leader? Also why can I never Expose an enemy who starts the attack Exposed (it seems the code wants to check for a new expose before taking the old one off), is that a coding order of operations error or intended?
5) What determines my chance to land a critical hit? How does Physical Critical Rating play into that? My Resistance Pilot has a value of 341 while my Chewie has a 180, what does that translate into percentage wise? Is my Resistance Pilot twice as likely to land a crit than Chewie? If I put Sidious as my leader with +13% critical chance is that a flat increase or does it scale based on the toon’s Critical Rating? Do +crit bonuses stack or multiply (Sid gives +13% RP’s Guerilla Tactics gives +5% is the net result +18% or +18.65%)? That one is very important when building synergy.
6) How do the various factors play into the loot drops? If I can farm one new toon on Squad cantina table 1 for 8 energy and another on table 3 for 10 energy are the drop rates identical or do they scale for energy spent? One case results in a faster new character than the other. Same question for gear upgrades. If I can farm the same gear on a 6 energy or an 8 energy battle does it scale on energy or a flat chance? Is there a benefit to higher difficulty (I understand the more money part, but that is a non-factor)? How does other possible drops affect the rate (if one drops three possible items is there a lower chance of getting what I want)? Is the rate different for gear drops on hard missions and if so how much (should I have been farming the hard missions for the gear plus a shard)?
7) How are our Galactic War opponents selected? Is it based on Squad Arena ranking, power, or something different? If it is ranking I would always do Galactic War before any Squad battles, if it is Squad power I would make a team with synergy rather than total raw power. GW is my favorite part of the game, but can be frustrating with some of the opponent team pulls.
8) How does the turn meter work and how does excess carry over. Is it a race to 100 ticks? A countdown? What happens when excess bonuses are triggered (when Poe inflicts expose to four opponents does that trigger Resistance Trooper four times), does any of that carry over, does a higher carry over preempt other toons who were at 100 ticks? What factor goes into game start (which can make or break the decision to bring in certain characters who might otherwise be too slow).
Requests for more transparency:
1) When selecting abilities give us the ability to peek ahead. Should I spend my precious Tier III ability mats to go from 4 to 5 to 6, or is level 6 just a piddly 5% damage increase (versus another character who might have +15% proc chance on a debuff. Same thing for gear, should I hunt for 20 purples to gear up (for something useless like +1% tenacity and special damage for a physical damage only character) only to notice I can’t pursue the next level of gear because it is all level 61+ required? Again same for the star rating, is it worth pursuing a seventh star for Chewie or put him in the dustbin.
2) I strongly dislike the PVP arena swapping places with your opponent and feel there should be a points based system. As far as I can tell I have no idea if my squad is actually doing well. I know I fight five times and mostly win, but next morning I am pretty much in the same place as I was the day before. I don’t know if I am being attacked five times winning none, or attacked 100 times winning all but five. Frankly with a point system the first scenario would lead to a lesser reward and the second a better reward. I don’t know what types of squads are beating me (should I make a faster squad, take out the healers, what?!?). I would like to see how my squad fares rather than just look I ran on the treadmill and made a full loop. Great. If you can’t show me all the matchups (and why not) then at least show me the stats.
3) I would like a battle log. Once we have access to the mechanics having a log that shows us the rolls made by the device and the factors that go into it would be fantastic to show us how to improve our squad. And it would get rid of the cheating AI comments. It is frustrating to see Dooku open up and stun Poe and my Resistance Pilot, but if I saw the rolls (look Poe rolled a 2 out of 100 and Dooku a 97) then it would seem less of a “cheating AI” issue. Same with the speed question.
4) I would like to see a turn order indicator of some sort. For example I am often looking at three identical opponents (Mob Enforcer 1,2, and 3), and it is my turn. What will happen is I will get to go, then ME 2, then my second toon, then ME 3, then my third toon, then ME 1. If I knew the turn order I would pick them off in one order if they were one shot kills (2,3,1) and another if it took three hits (1,2,3). Ideally target selection could be done from this (I have lost ranking and therefore crystals due to not being able to target properly in Arena).
I am sure I could come up with more, but these are my main frustrations. I feel as if the decisions I make are shooting in the dark, or even counter-productive.