Major GW Changes Incoming - Theory

KelEl85
158 posts Member
TL;DR The GW bug that got out earlier this week was not a bug but a future update and major change for GW. Toons will die after each match. But the nodes will progressively scale in difficulty from very easy (1*, g1 level 10 toons) to very tough (7*, g10, level 80 toons). You choose which teams to use to complete each node saving your best teams for later nodes, or using 1 mega levelled A team member to solo easier nodes. Read on for more theory and reasoning behind it. (If you've played Marvel Future Fight you will get where I'm going with this).

Why I Think a Change is Coming
Earlier this week they released an update that had some bugs. Only some of them weren't bugs but upcoming changes/additions to the game. The new "mods" board and related features being one of them. One of the supposed bugs was that in GW, any toon you put in a battle would die at the end of the battle, even if they survived. Most assumed it was just a bug. I propose that it wasn't, but was actually more future content that got out early. Consider:

1) If it was a bug, it would likely still be on the list of things to fix. ;-) Only half joking on this one. Even game breaking bugs like the recent guild coins fiasco often take days to fix. This GW "bug" was removed within hours just like the mods early release.

2) Nothing was posted about any changes made in this update that should have made any impact on GW. I am not a developer, coder, game designer. Heck, I can't figure out how to post an image on these forums. But is it likely that an area of the game where no changes are being made was effected by a bug? I'm actually asking, because I don't know. It seems possible, sure, but to me its unlikely.

3) Devs have commented before that they are working on GW. Making changes as needed. Its clear that GW isn't working as they intended and is not enjoyable to the player base. Minor changes in matchmaking don't seem to work. They make a small tweak and everyone autos GW. They make a tweak back and now half the community can't beat it, including whales and others with mighty impressive rosters. The moving bar of GW matchmaking will never work right. You will either be able to beat the whole thing with your A team, no deaths, or you will throw your whole roster at the last few nodes and retreat 100 times, maybe you beat it, but you will not do that forever. We will quit before long. Something needs to be done and the devs know that.

Here is my theory on the upcoming changes:

1) As the "bug" suggests, your toons will only be able to be used in 1 match, period. Doesn't matter if they finish with full protection. They are dead.

2) Nodes will be adjusted in difficulty and preset by the devs. No more random matchmaking. This is the only way I see this working as the random matchmaking algorithm is what broke the current version of GW. There will be about 9 nodes of the GW. The nodes will progress something like this:

Node 1) 5X1* toons, g1 and g2, level 10
Node 2) 5X2* toons, g3, level 20
etc
Node 8) 5X7* toons, g9, level 80
Node 9) 5x7* toons, g10, level 80

Again the toons will be pre chosen by the devs for each level. Maybe we will get some theme levels (jedi level, rebel level, sith, etc). The devs can move the teams around on a preset daily, weekly, or monthly basis. One day Rey will be in the first node. The next day in the ninth node. Or if they do themes, one week rebels are in the first node, the next week in the 2nd node with the first node becoming what was previously the team on node 9.

3) No retreating. Once you enter a battle, you are committed.

Think of the possibilities. You will have to choose which toons you will use when. Will you send a team of 5 low level toons to do the first node? Will you send in a team of 4? or 3? Or how about just dropping your Level 70, g7, Lando on Node 2 and hoping his AOE will be enough to wipe out the board? 1 toon, 1 node. Make sure to save your A and B teams for those last nodes, though. The choice and risk is yours. Plan. Strategize. Have fun again.

The rewards will be increased (especially credits) and front loaded a little more so that you get more rewards in the earlier stages since GW is still the major source of credits. This also allows for easy tweaking of difficulty by the devs, and future expansion of the game. When the cap is bumped to level 90, they can just add a node onto the end with some more rewards and a higher difficulty.

This brings GW more in line with what the devs have stated they want GW to be. A war of attrition where every toon on your roster really counts. You can use those low level junk toons on your roster to take out the first few nodes. It gives us a reason to actually work on our whole roster. You can't beat the whole thing with just one A team. To be honest the first time i played GW this is what I thought it was supposed to be, something that i would improve at little by little over the course of months until i could finally beat it. I couldn't believe that I could run through the whole thing with a single team. It clearly wasn't working as intended.

So what do you think. Am I crazy or am I on to something? Even if it isn't currently planned, would something like this be fun to you?

Replies

• SlyKrysis
    101 posts Member
    Naw, you crazy.
  • C3POwn
    507 posts Member
    How bout no, Scott?
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Killing off characters every round is the worst idea for the game that I've heard so far. It's completely opposite to what GW is now. If I wanted that, I'd just refresh arena more.

Picking a team and pounding through GW as much as you can with one crew sounds cool. If you can field more than one team, you can do it as many times as your roster allows. Got a good droid team? GWx1 Got a good Dodge team? GWx2 Got an ewok team? GWx3 Take your leftover scraps and try and shoot the moon for GWx4

All of a sudden healers (and even more so, ressers) have some value again.
  • Whitchit
    186 posts Member
    Majorly changing gw doesn't make as much money as other new (broken) things. They have no incentive to change it.
  • Optimus11
    254 posts Member
    I actually like the idea.
    However, difficulty must be scaled down. No way I can face maxed meta teams in the last 4 nodes.
    If last node is maxed and say nodes 6-10 are just 6 stars I think I would like that. Will force everyone to utilize their roster and be creative.
    I'm liking it.
  • I hope not I like GW just the way it is now. So long as both ten and twelve pay out shards. They did past two days but only twelve did today, but maybe payout is scaled to difficulty.
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    Powda wrote: »
    Killing off characters every round is the worst idea for the game that I've heard so far. It's completely opposite to what GW is now. If I wanted that, I'd just refresh arena more.

I said it would be a major change ;-)
    Whitchit wrote: »
    Majorly changing gw doesn't make as much money as other new (broken) things. They have no incentive to change it.

I would say the changes they have been making lately to GW have been losing them money as many people refuse to spend any more. And the money would come from people buying resources and shard packs to upgrade a larger portion of their roster to be able to make progress. GW in its current form doesn't directly make any money either.
    Optimus11 wrote: »
    I actually like the idea.
    However, difficulty must be scaled down. No way I can face maxed meta teams in the last 4 nodes.
    If last node is maxed and say nodes 6-10 are just 6 stars I think I would like that. Will force everyone to utilize their roster and be creative.
    I'm liking it.

As I said the nodes would be completely different. You would only face 1 or 2 max teams. The rest of the nodes would scale progressively and in a controlled fashion to the final node.

• Nope you're way off the mark on this one. Even if the number of nodes is reduced to 9, it would mean everyone would need at least 45 toons to even stand a chance of completing it. Not possible for an enormous proportion of the playerbase like >95%.
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    DjangoQuik wrote: »
    Nope you're way off the mark on this one. Even if the number of nodes is reduced to 9, it would mean everyone would need at least 45 toons to even stand a chance of completing it. Not possible for an enormous proportion of the playerbase like >95%.

Yes and No. 9 Was a random number i pulled out of the air. It could be 8, or 7 or 10 or whatever. Also, since the rewards would be higher in the first nodes and higher overall it wouldn't be the end of the world if not everyone could finish it, especially not right when they open GW at level 40. That's the point. I don't think it was ever the intention of the devs to make it so it could be beat by every player every day. But once they released the system as it currently is, they had few options for adjusting it. As I said, their tweaks have resulted in either too easy or too hard. That's the problem with the current design and i don't think it can really be fixed.

But it should be progressive. Where as you get stronger you get closer and closer to beating it. And you wouldn't necessarily need 45 toons. The first few nodes will be so easy for higher level players that they can probably solo whole nodes with only one or two mid to high level toons.

But thanks for your input. I really think this would be a fun way to do GW. It was my favorite part of Marvel Future Fight and when i could finally beat all the levels i felt I had really achieved something. That's what I'm looking for and i enjoy even just talking about the possibility
  • KelEl85 wrote: »
    Here is my theory on the upcoming changes:

1) As the "bug" suggests, your toons will only be able to be used in 1 match, period. Doesn't matter if they finish with full protection. They are dead.

So what do you think. Am I crazy or am I on to something? Even if it isn't currently planned, would something like this be fun to you?

Needing 60 characters to complete GW? You are definitely crazy.
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member

Needing 60 characters to complete GW? You are definitely crazy.

Read again. You don't need to use 5 toons on each node (which would still only be 45). The easier nodes could be done by smaller teams. Strategy and using your whole roster is what GW is supposed to be.

Not trying to be defensive here for people poopooing my idea. I just get the sense that people aren't comprehending it completely as most of the objections are things that I kind of addressed in the OP. I get that it was a very long post, though, and most probably skimmed or read very fast
  • StarSon
    7427 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I wondered the same thing when a whole team was dead after single use, regardless. And I would like the change. Anyone that has been playing for more than a few months should have at least 40 toons, and would be able to complete 8 or 9 nodes (if you can throw out a middling toon for each of the first 2 or 3 nodes, you will save some).

Based on other things, I assume whatever it is will be out in 3 weeks, and we will find out a day or -2 days before.
  • That's waaaaay too much strategy involved. Who has time for that in a DAILY quest?
  • eldredpe
    142 posts Member
    That's waaaaay too much strategy involved. Who has time for that in a DAILY quest?

Oh God it might turn into an actual game rather than a by the numbers habitual loot grind!
  • ukdfink
    148 posts Member
    i think what will happen is gw will stay the same and you either buy credits or quit.
  • Ha no. Sorry you put so much effort into writing it but no way. Your theory is based on every player already being in a situation where they have 45 characters and some G10 characters. If this actually happened SOOOOO many people wouldn't be able to beat GW. Also doesn't GW open at like level 20? Or something ? That would become pointless
  • StarSon
    7427 posts Member
    Ha no. Sorry you put so much effort into writing it but no way. Your theory is based on every player already being in a situation where they have 45 characters and some G10 characters. If this actually happened SOOOOO many people wouldn't be able to beat GW. Also doesn't GW open at like level 20? Or something ? That would become pointless

Level 40. But the point of the game is to collect. Not that hard to get 40 characters. And if the devs mean we aren't supposed to complete it every day, what better way to accomplish that without destroying the fun?
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    The only problem is not everyone knows how to use less than five characters per battle, I know I didn't until recently and this would be a source of complaints.
    Also as of the current moment you can retreat from a galactic war battle and the health of your team and the team you battled would be reset to what it was before ,you started it, but I seriously doubt anyone wants to go through 20+ instances at an increased difficulty unless the rewards were also adjusted accordingly.
  • I hope you are right it really needs a refresh now. I think the other posters have got bogged down in the specifics. The general idea is good.
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Consider this: Right now i have 38 toons unlocked. 6 Are at level 1. Never did anything with them. A bunch of others anywhere from level 16-70 various gear levels, some ready to promote to 2*,3*,4* etc. Then i have my A + B Team toons. 12-15 of em from level 70-77, G7-G9. My arena power is around 30,500. I can and have beat 36k arena team with various G10 toons with my A team. Its not impossible. So now if i throw 500k in credits into some of my toons that I've never touched, farm a few gear levels, etc. I Have 38 toons that i can actually use in the new GW. Use the junk toons to clear the lower levels. May not even need a full squad of junk toons for the earlier levels. You don't need 45 max level toons to be successful. But you do need a decent size roster and you need to know how to use them effectively. And i started the game in April. Doesn't take long to get a decent roster
  • CapnnRex
    184 posts Member
    I can see your points as far as them actually doing this. I just hope not. I think everyone should be able to complete GW based on their level and roster power. If you have gear 9 or 10 toons then expect to see them on the last few fights. If you do not have gear 9 or 10 level toons then you will face similar competition at the end. That's how I think it should work. You should not have to face impossible teams at the end and not be able to complete the part of the game that is the only way you can make money. That just makes no sense.
  • I think the question isn't so much if we would like this, as much as if it will happen.
    It very well could have been an early slip of changes to come.
    If the credits scale in proportion to the difficulty, I'm all in. I wouldn't mind only being able to beat GW 2x a week if I got 3 million credits for finishing it. If it is going to be crazy hard, fine, but reward accordingly.

OP might be on to something, whether we like it or not.
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    CapnnRex wrote: »
    I can see your points as far as them actually doing this. I just hope not. I think everyone should be able to complete GW based on their level and roster power. If you have gear 9 or 10 toons then expect to see them on the last few fights. If you do not have gear 9 or 10 level toons then you will face similar competition at the end. That's how I think it should work. You should not have to face impossible teams at the end and not be able to complete the part of the game that is the only way you can make money. That just makes no sense.

I fully expect that initially it would be met with outrage. But I think, if its done right, people would accept it and enjoy it much more. Every aspect of this game is intended to be something you work at and eventually beat. We all worked through the normal nodes, hard nodes, cantina nodes, raids, and arena to get to the top/end. Yet GW has been beatable since the day i unlocked it. Practically free credits, shards, crystals, mats for all. But its supposed to be the ultimate achievement, one of the hardest parts of the game. I agree that credits will need to be front loaded and increased overall. But at the same time I've seen many people at around level 60 saying "I have 8 million credits. I'm going to buy some droids to spend them." Level 40 players aren't supposed to get 1/2 mil credits a day. But Level 80 need more than 1/2 mil. This will even things out a bit. And I expect that more credit earning options will be added to the game at the same time
  • Nodoon
    112 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Reread the OP so editing this completely. This seems like a decent idea. However, there is an achievement related to GW that gives Vader shards. This change would cause those shards to not come into play for months, and the 50 and 150 wins would be so far away it is best to not even think about it.
  • Boba_The_Fetter
    3393 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    StarSon wrote: »
    Ha no. Sorry you put so much effort into writing it but no way. Your theory is based on every player already being in a situation where they have 45 characters and some G10 characters. If this actually happened SOOOOO many people wouldn't be able to beat GW. Also doesn't GW open at like level 20? Or something ? That would become pointless

Level 40. But the point of the game is to collect. Not that hard to get 40 characters. And if the devs mean we aren't supposed to complete it every day, what better way to accomplish that without destroying the fun?

I'm not saying they should be able to complete it every da but at least be in a situation where players can beat it if they play properly. Give them a chance. And it is quite a task to collect 45 characters and with your system that would in no way be enough you'd have to start level and gear a lot of them in order to have a chance. If GW unlocked at 40 what's the point when you have to be like 80 and playing for a long time after youdve unlocked it to ever be able to beat it
  • Boba_The_Fetter
    3393 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I would simply suggest 6 nodes based off player power and scales up from like 60% to 110% or something. Each node is a faction synergy in the game so some days youll fight
    Jedi, sith, droid, rebel, empire, resistance .
    Some days youll fight
    Sith, FO, Clone, NS, jawa/droid, Jedi
    Etc
    Etc
    Some factions have more than 5 characters like scoundrels, Jedi and rebel so it would change a lot. Others have good synergy with other factions like droid/jawa/geonoisans so you could see lot of mixtures there